PDA

View Full Version : Can we still sell players abroad if their windows are not closed? I suspect they

Pat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:37 AM
keep their windows open as it's hot over there.

This is the time where I look online to see what free agents are available.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Yes
We can sell but not buy

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:38 AM

The Spanish windows slams shut tonight. I see rumours of Ozil to Barca.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:39 AM

:nono: They have those big wooden shutters closed to keep out the heat in the daytime.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:40 AM

How can this anomaly exist? Either the window slams shut or it doesn't.

Pat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:41 AM
:nono: They have those big wooden shutters closed to keep out the heat in the daytime.

:cloud9: I like those. Also they are very security conscious with their houses and windows with iron grills or gates around. Unlike the mastermind who designed my current flat who put bedroom window next to the door for upstairs and the drive way :furious:

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Well, one declares that the slamshutting shall occur on 31st August, and Spain lifts its sombrero, cocks an eyebrow and replies, 'manana'.

It's just what they do, b.

Pat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Here is something controversial I will say Sir C.

Ozil as good as he is at times. I feel a bit MEH when it comes to him.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:44 AM

That's fair enough, f. He is, in effect, an old-fashioned trequartista, which is a beast rare in the modern game. Back in the day we were used to having a playmaker who drifted in and out of games and was only peripherally involved, so we forgave him everything and simply admired the twiddly bits.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:45 AM

I feel he'd have been a great player for us in a better team - if that makes any sense.

He needs players around him who are on his wavelength. I fear we don't have enough who are.

Ash
09-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Back in the day we were used to having a playmaker who drifted in and out of games and was only peripherally involved, so we forgave him everything and simply admired the twiddly bits.

Dennis.

:hide:

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:48 AM
That's fair enough, f. He is, in effect, an old-fashioned trequartista, which is a beast rare in the modern game. Back in the day we were used to having a playmaker who drifted in and out of games and was only peripherally involved, so we forgave him everything and simply admired the twiddly bits.

The hard graft of the rest of the team allowed Charlies Nicholas and George to do their stuff
Our flimsiness only helps to expose how luxuriant Ozil is
ie goes missing

redgunamo
I feel he'd have been a great player for us in a better team - if that makes any sense.

He needs players around him who are on his wavelength. I fear we don't have enough who are.

Yes, players like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Sir C
Dennis.

I was thinking further back really, of Brady and Hoddle and Currie and Bowles and so on. But your point is valid.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Dennis.

Dennis was never a luxury, A, for any side he ever played for. He scored over 300 goals.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:49 AM

I think his limitation is his lack of personality. The truly great 10s would drag a team up with them by force of will. Mesut is liddle bit leemp.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Yes, players like Cristiano Ronaldo.

No
Cristiano is a goalscorer supreme in his own right

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:50 AM
No
Cristiano is a goalscorer supreme in his own right

I was being sarky, V.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:52 AM
:cloud9: I like those.

I like ceiling fans too
Their silence beguiles me

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Dennis was never a luxury, A, for any side he ever played for. He scored over 300 goals.

That game at Old Trafford in the league in 98; the Overmars goal, when we knew it was on... Dennis went missing that day :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I was being sarky, V.

I am now face palming because it wooshed over my head
Sorry Houndmeister

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
I like ceiling fans too
Their silence beguiles me

I have two in my house. I fitted one in the front room last autumn and endured mockery for it during the winter.

However, come this summer, everyone has accepted that I am a genius for doing so.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:55 AM
That game at Old Trafford in the league in 98; the Overmars goal, when we knew it was on... Dennis went missing that day :-(

He often did in big games. Let's face it: Dennis was a sublime player, but a bit of a bottle job.

Why else would he have been playing for us? :shrug:

Sir C
09-01-2017, 09:57 AM
He often did in big games. Let's face it: Dennis was a sublime player, but a bit of a bottle job.

Why else would he have been playing for us? :shrug:

Absolutely. I said it throughout his career. He should have been at Madrid with Zidane and Figo winning European Cups, instead of taking it easy with us.

Of course the truly big teams would never have allowed his non-flying clause...

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 10:02 AM
I have two in my house. I fitted one in the front room last autumn and endured mockery for it during the winter.

However, come this summer, everyone has accepted that I am a genius for doing so.

I hope you remind them of the mockery meted out when your fans cool the occupants down
Do they take a lot of juice ?

Now is the time to install a wrought iron fireplace

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Absolutely. I said it throughout his career. He should have been at Madrid with Zidane and Figo winning European Cups, instead of taking it easy with us.

I always imagined we crammed Dennis into a Mini Metro for the drives through Europe

Burney
09-01-2017, 10:04 AM
I hope you remind them of the mockery meted out when your fans cool the occupants down
Do they take a lot of juice ?

Now is the time to install a wrought iron fireplace

Regularly. I'm not letting them forget it.

Not a huge amount. Generally, it's heating elements that really burn the leccy.

Burney
09-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Yes. Our relationship with Dennis always felt like we were the ugly bloke batting way above his average and just desperately grateful that the beautiful girl was even with him.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Right. So he was practically perfect for us and our aspirations, at that time.

Though, I've always said allowing such snowflakery, even back then, was essentially the thin end of the wedge.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Right. So he was practically perfect for us and our aspirations, at that time.

Though, I've always said allowing such snowflakery, even back then, was essentially the thin end of the wedge.

Fear of flying is simply arrogance, of course; a grossly inflated sense of self-worth. Perhaps that was what made him so fine.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Regularly. I'm not letting them forget it.

Not a huge amount. Generally, it's heating elements that really burn the leccy.

I've had one of they smart meters fitted. The fúcking thing is terrifying. I'm wandering around turning out lights and only using the oven when absolutely necessary. :-(

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Fear of flying is simply arrogance, of course; a grossly inflated sense of self-worth. Perhaps that was what made him so fine.

Typical Dutchman, my wife called him; all campervan but no car.

I owned a campervan when I first met her :-|

Sir C
09-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Typical Dutchman, my wife called him; all campervan but no car.

I owned a campervan when I first met her :-|

Definitely the archetypal Dutchman. I can assure you that when he goes on holiday in his camper he takes everything, from tea bags to toilet rolls, so as not to have to take the risk of being ripped off by nasty foreigners.

eastgermanautos
09-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Freedom of movement and all that. There's likely a players' association. For example, if I want to hire a writer who is represented by the Writer's Guild of America (WGA), I have to negotiate through the WGA. But I also have to set up a separate LLC to conduct those negotiations. Me dealing with them directly, just through my company, doesn't work. All the players, metaphorically, report to Andorra, Luxembourg, Monaco. From there they board flights to all parts of the world, safe in the knowledge that they are about to get paid ridiculous amounts.

Burney
09-01-2017, 10:24 AM

It really, really isn't, you know? Because it's not about fear of death, it's about fear of actually flying. It's an irrational fear based on one's position and environment that provokes a physical reaction. This is why no amount of telling someone how safe flying is makes any difference. They know all that stuff, but are still suffering. It's no different to fear of heights in that regard. The person with a fear of heights is not shítting themselves because they think they'll die, they're shītting themselves because their brain is sending panic signals throughout their body due to their location and they can't control it.

This is what people who don't suffer these afflictions simply don't get. They seem to think that people develop these fears through some logical sequence of decisions and that, by deconstructing that logic, they can be 'cured'. It doesn't work like that.

You aren't not scared of flying because you have rationalised the situation, balanced all probabilities and come to a rational conclusion. You're not scared of flying simply because you're not scared of flying and it has never occurred to you that you should be. You're just lucky enough not to be wired up that way. It's the same thing for those of us who are scared - it's just how we are.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 10:30 AM
It really, really isn't, you know? Because it's not about fear of death, it's about fear of actually flying. It's an irrational fear based on one's position and environment that provokes a physical reaction. This is why no amount of telling someone how safe flying is makes any difference. They know all that stuff, but are still suffering. It's no different to fear of heights in that regard. The person with a fear of heights is not shítting themselves because they think they'll die, they're shītting themselves because their brain is sending panic signals throughout their body due to their location and they can't control it.

This is what people who don't suffer these afflictions simply don't get. They seem to think that people develop these fears through some logical sequence of decisions and that, by deconstructing that logic, they can be 'cured'. It doesn't work like that.

You aren't not scared of flying because you have rationalised the situation, balanced all probabilities and come to a rational conclusion. You're not scared of flying simply because you're not scared of flying and it has never occurred to you that you should be. You're just lucky enough not to be wired up that way. It's the same thing for those of us who are scared - it's just how we are.

Elegantly put and cogently argued, as ever. I remain unconvinced because I find fear of flying offensive. There, I've said it.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 10:30 AM

I see. Can you describe your very first experience of flying, and further, when this "fear" first materialised?

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Elegantly put and cogently argued, as ever. I remain unconvinced because I find fear of flying offensive. There, I've said it.

Of course, in Dennis' case, the onset of the peculiarity arrived in his late twenties, so I gather.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-01-2017, 10:38 AM

The non-flying clause happened after he'd been playing for us for two seasons. 98 World Cup incident.

Burney
09-01-2017, 10:39 AM
I see. Can you describe your very first experience of flying, and further, when this "fear" first materialised?

Certainly. My first experience of flying was when I was 10 on an old BAC-111 to Majorca. I was fine. I didn't like take-off (still don't), but for the rest of the flight I was calm.

My fear of flying didn't develop until my early 20s, really. It was a flight back from Ireland, I was badly hungover and suffered what I now realise to have been a mild claustrophobic panic attack . After that, the floodgates were open. Deep down, I associated flying with the feelings I had experienced on that one flight and to some extent still do. The fear is not of crashing, it's of being in the environment where one experiences those feelings. Now of course, there is no better way of ensuring that one experiences those feelings than by harbouring a fear of doing so, but the human brain is a fúcker like that and breaking that cycle is easier said than done.

Just Trent
09-01-2017, 10:42 AM

It means we still have time to sell Perez, Campbell and :-O

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 10:51 AM
The non-flying clause happened after he'd been playing for us for two seasons. 98 World Cup incident.

The 98 World Cup was three seasons after he joined The Arsenal

The incident occurred during the 94 World Cup

World's End Stella
09-01-2017, 10:58 AM

The non-flying and his lack of pace always held him back from achieving what he might have otherwise.

But as I pointed out the other day, still a very good player at times. Compared very favourably with Teddy Sheringham.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 11:04 AM
"Deep down", you admit yourself that your early experiences were perfectly normal and fine. Then why not say you have a fear of hangovers, or even a fear of leaving Ireland or travelling to England? Obviously because none of those things would even get you to first base, sympathy-wise :shrug:

Certainly. My first experience of flying was when I was 10 on an old BAC-111 to Majorca. I was fine. I didn't like take-off (still don't), but for the rest of the flight I was calm.

My fear of flying didn't develop until my early 20s, really. It was a flight back from Ireland, I was badly hungover and suffered what I now realise to have been a mild claustrophobic panic attack . After that, the floodgates were open. Deep down, I associated flying with the feelings I had experienced on that one flight and to some extent still do. The fear is not of crashing, it's of being in the environment where one experiences those feelings. Now of course, there is no better way of ensuring that one experiences those feelings than by harbouring a fear of doing so, but the human brain is a fúcker like that and breaking that cycle is easier said than done.

Burney
09-01-2017, 11:16 AM
"Deep down", you admit yourself that your early experiences were perfectly normal and fine. Then why not say you have a fear of hangovers, or even a fear of leaving Ireland or travelling to England? Obviously because none of those things would even get you to first base, sympathy-wise :shrug:

Because my psychological association and consequent fear reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. :shrug: Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Why do you imagine any of this is about garnering sympathy? I don't want sympathy, but a little empathy might be nice.

World's End Stella
09-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Became my internal fear association and consequent reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. :shrug: Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Why do you imagine any of this is about garnering sympathy? I don't want sympathy, but a little empathy might be nice.

I went through a period where I struggled with public speaking. But I found it easy enough to resolve by simply assuring myself that a fear of speaking in public is irrational, because it is.

Hey presto issue went away. :shrug:

Burney
09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I went through a period where I struggled with public speaking. But I found it easy enough to resolve by simply assuring myself that a fear of speaking in public is irrational, because it is.

Well no, the fear of public speaking is not irrational. It is normally done in a work context and there is huge potential for fùcking it up, with consequent negative effects on your career, reputation, etc. it's entirely sensible to be nervous about it.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Became my internal fear association and consequent reaction is to do with flying in aeroplanes and not any of those other things. :shrug: Again, you're making the mistake of thinking of it as though it is a conscious decision on my part to feel like this. It isn't. If I could stop it, God knows I would.

Actually, this is me, doing "empathy".

What made you decide that it was to do with one thing rather than the other thing, or set of things? Why, indeed, do you continue to fly?

Perhaps it is a sub-conscious decision?

World's End Stella
09-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Well no, the fear of public speaking is not irrational. It is normally done in a work context and there is huge potential for fùcking it up, with consequent negative effects on your career, reputation, etc. it's entirely sensible to be nervous about it.

You could use that logic to justify a fear of pretty much anything. :shrug:

Burney
09-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Actually, this is me, doing "empathy".

What made you decide that it was to do with one thing rather than the other thing, or set of things? Why, indeed, do you continue to fly?

Perhaps it is a sub-conscious decision?

Because my initial fear was about being on the plane and desperately wanting not to be.

I continue to fly because I have to for work and because I've learned to manage my fears - if not eliminate them.

I would argue that - by its very nature - there is no such thing as a sub-conscious decision.

Peter
09-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Dennis.

Yeah, you'd better ****ing hide.

Disgrace!

Ash
09-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you'd better ****ing hide.

Disgrace!

Actually, you're the first person to feign outrage.

In the same way as you castigate others for refusing to accept their their heroes might have made a dud album, you might be doing something similar in not acknowledging that the great man had one or two fairly average days in the office.

Ash
09-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Good luck with that.

What do you think think this place is? A nest of simpering lefties offering to understand each other's 'feelings' rather than contemptuously stamping all over them sensing the gleeful opportunity of a spot of one-upmanship?

Well, you can have some empathy from me. I'm not frightened of flying, I just hate it. Not for the planey bit so much (I love the take-off), but for the queues and delays and discomfort and inconvenience. I am frightened of heights though. Even walking over a bridge on the Thames makes me queasy. So next week I'm off to indulge my hobby of climbing up and down mountains. Mental.

Sir C
09-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Good luck with that.

What do you think think this place is? A nest of simpering lefties offering to understand each other's 'feelings' rather than contemptuously stamping all over them sensing the gleeful opportunity of a spot of one-upmanship?

Well, you can have some empathy from me. I'm not frightened of flying, I just hate it. Not for the planey bit so much (I love the take-off), but for the queues and delays and discomfort and inconvenience. I am frightened of heights though. Even walking over a bridge on the Thames makes me queasy. So next week I'm off to indulge my hobby of climbing up and down mountains. Mental.

I'm not very good with heights but you don't get feelings of vertigo in an aeroplane because of the lack of a connection between the aircraft and the ground. That's a fact, apparently. Having said that, I've never been comfortable above 7 or 8,000 ft in a light aircraft; the sky feels too big, somehow, and it's hard to light your fag.

Where are you mountaining? I've got 3 weeks until Snowdonia...

Sir C
09-01-2017, 12:20 PM
i went through a period where i struggled with public speaking. But i found it easy enough to resolve by simply assuring myself that a fear of speaking in public is irrational, because it is.

is that why you fÚcking bellow like that?

Sir C
09-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Because my initial fear was about being on the plane and desperately wanting not to be.

I continue to fly because I have to for work and because I've learned to manage my fears - if not eliminate them.

I would argue that - by its very nature - there is no such thing as a sub-conscious decision.

Aeroplane. Aircraft also works. Flying machine, if you want to be old-fashioned. 'The jet', if you're the pilot of same.

Ash
09-01-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm not very good with heights but you don't get feelings of vertigo in an aeroplane because of the lack of a connection between the aircraft and the ground. That's a fact, apparently. Having said that, I've never been comfortable above 7 or 8,000 ft in a light aircraft; the sky feels too big, somehow, and it's hard to light your fag.

Where are you mountaining? I've got 3 weeks until Snowdonia...

Far Eastern fells again. Lots of empty triangles on the wall chart to fill in over there. Staying in this place:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/YgUVhl1FPWZmu1ph91Ec0Q/o.jpg

Snowdonia is ok, I thought, but a little bit second division compared t'Lakes. Nice but not wow. And full of welshers of course, speaking their pretend language when they think someone can hear them.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Yes, there is. You can call it "environmental genetics".

All the other stuff is perfectly fair enough, imo. But my old man paid our boarding school fees by listening to well-off north London luvvies and flakes and lushes endlessly witter on about their worries and troubles, despite the fact that, with his background, their tales of woe naturally appalled him to the core :hehe:

Sir C
09-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Far Eastern fells again. Lots of empty triangles on the wall chart to fill in over there. Staying in this place:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/YgUVhl1FPWZmu1ph91Ec0Q/o.jpg

Snowdonia is ok, I thought, but a little bit second division compared t'Lakes. Nice but not wow. And full of welshers of course, speaking their pretend language when they think someone can hear them.

Nice. I'm jealous.

Mind you, the house we've rented is actually halfway up a mountain and has no TV, phone, internet or mobile phone connection, so it might be pleasingly isolated.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Good luck with that.

Well said, A. It's the only language we really understand.

Peter
09-01-2017, 01:39 PM

B, do you ever get nervous going out to bat?

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 01:46 PM
B, do you ever get nervous going out to bat?

What a question! Although I think I can see why you'd ask it. Good one.

Peter
09-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Actually, you're the first person to feign outrage.

In the same way as you castigate others for refusing to accept their their heroes might have made a dud album, you might be doing something similar in not acknowledging that the great man had one or two fairly average days in the office.

Not at all. He had **** games. He had quiet games. He was never quite at his best for a few games when coming back from an injury or suspension.

He missed that ****ing penalty against United. He didnt use his left foot as much as he could have done.

Still.... he was a genius. He was technically one of the greatest footballers of all time and the best I ever saw. He could spot and hit a pass that our current 'world class players' bungle every week and he could judge angles and speed in a split second. He was an incredible footballer. Genuinely incredible.

He was also partial to giving a defender a smack if they took the piss.

People like Sanchez and Ozil should bear this in mind when they strut around the Emirates. We were lucky enough to see a clutch of genuine world class players play every week 10-15 years ago. We know what it looks like.

It ain't you two. Wont be nobody crying when you leave and you ain't getting a statue.

Pair of ****s.

Peter
09-01-2017, 01:49 PM
What a question! Although I think I can see why you'd ask it. Good one.

The point is that things that means something to you should challenge you, and things that challenge you should make you nervous.

However, nerves and fear are not the same thing. Nerves are natural, fear is the consequence of failing to deal with them.

You should be nervous going out to bat. Anyone who isn't is a bit of a weirdo.

Ash
09-01-2017, 01:50 PM

Right. It's like walking onstage.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 01:54 PM
The point is that things that means something to you should challenge you, and things that challenge you should make you nervous.

However, nerves and fear are not the same thing. Nerves are natural, fear is the consequence of failing to deal with them.

I don't get that. If you can actually bat, what are you nervous about?

Peter
09-01-2017, 01:55 PM

in that sense, yes. In others I suspect not.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Not at all. He had **** games. He had quiet games. He was never quite at his best for a few games when coming back from an injury or suspension.

He missed that ****ing penalty against United. He didnt use his left foot as much as he could have done.

Still.... he was a genius. He was technically one of the greatest footballers of all time and the best I ever saw. He could spot and hit a pass that our current 'world class players' bungle every week and he could judge angles and speed in a split second. He was an incredible footballer. Genuinely incredible.

He was also partial to giving a defender a smack if they took the piss.

People like Sanchez and Ozil should bear this in mind when they strut around the Emirates. We were lucky enough to see a clutch of genuine world class players play every week 10-15 years ago. We know what it looks like.

It ain't you two. Wont be nobody crying when you leave and you ain't getting a statue.

Pair of ****s.

That's all rather nicely put actually.

Peter
09-01-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't get that. If you can actually bat, what are you nervous about?

The fact that the guy at the other end can actually bowl...

You might get out and then you have basically wasted your day.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 02:00 PM

I imagine it's a bit like carrying the swag out of a bank you've just robbed; you simply do not know what the situation outside that front door is going to be.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 02:01 PM
You might get out and then you have basically wasted your day.

Right. Of course.