PDA

View Full Version : Huge enormous LOL (as kids say)

SWv2
09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Not enough time to sign Lemar.

Only the 3 months.

Glad it's over anyway, silly.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
09-01-2017, 07:57 AM

Only the 3 months.

Lots of people are giving Mourinho credit for getting all their incoming transfer business done early in the window, sw...yet all Wenger gets is abuse for doing exactly the same :shrug:

Billy Goat Sverige
09-01-2017, 07:57 AM

Only the 3 months.

I think the Lemar thing was all bull**** to be honest. The reports from France are that we didn't even make a bid and just floated the idea to Monaco but they were adamant they weren't selling him. The British press tried to spin it that we bid £92m and the bid was accepted but we decided to withdraw the bid because there wasn't enough time to get the deal done. As i said, sounds like complete *******s.

We seem to have taken most of the blame on the back pages but i'd say City are just as much to blame. They waited until the last two days of the window to put in their first bid when he was clearly their main target for this transfer window. If they had bid £60m a month ago he probably wouldn't be here now. It was ridiculous from all involved.

Peter
09-01-2017, 08:10 AM
I think the Lemar thing was all bull**** to be honest. The reports from France are that we didn't even make a bid and just floated the idea to Monaco but they were adamant they weren't selling him. The British press tried to spin it that we bid £92m and the bid was accepted but we decided to withdraw the bid because there wasn't enough time to get the deal done. As i said, sounds like complete *******s.

We seem to have taken most of the blame on the back pages but i'd say City are just as much to blame. They waited until the last two days of the window to put in their first bid when he was clearly their main target for this transfer window. If they had bid £60m a month ago he probably wouldn't be here now. It was ridiculous from all involved.

Agreed. Maybe we didnt even seriously consider selling Sanchez either. That is, in my opinion, incredibly stupid, but there you go.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Agreed. Maybe we didnt even seriously consider selling Sanchez either. That is, in my opinion, incredibly stupid, but there you go.

Wenger cannot win then, in that case.

Peter
09-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Wenger cannot win then, in that case.

He has been proving that for years.

Brentwood
09-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Only the 3 months.

It's stupid to have the transfer window close after the main leagues have already started imo. Why don't they just close it on Aug 1st instead?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Only the 3 months.

I think the LOL is that we spent all summer trying to sign him only for him to tell us to take a run and jump. This is assuming the reports from yesterday are true

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-01-2017, 08:46 AM
He has been proving that for years.

He could win be doing a better job :-)

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 08:51 AM
He could win be doing a better job :-)

That's my point really; I don't think He could as, for too many people, it's simply too late for that.

Peter
09-01-2017, 08:55 AM
That's my point really; I don't think He could as, for too many people, it's simply too late for that.

Of course it isnt. It is just he would need to change what he does and I don't think anyone really believes that is ever going to happen.

If we won the league I think most fans would start to forgive him

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 08:58 AM
If we won the league I think most fans would start to forgive him

Of course, but they'd still want Him out.

Peter
09-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Of course, but they'd still want Him out.

Some, but nobody would listen to them.

The point is it isn't going to happen

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Some, but nobody would listen to them.

The point is it isn't going to happen

No, you say you've made up your mind that not selling Sanchez is stupid. Yet if He did sell him, especially to a rival, that could clearly be seen as stupid too. After all, how is He supposed to win the league without His best players.

So, He's damned if He does and damned if He doesn't. As I say, it's too late.

Ash
09-01-2017, 09:23 AM
win the league

:hehe:

You are right though in that he is damned whatever he does.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:27 AM
No, you say you've made up your mind that not selling Sanchez is stupid. Yet if He did sell him, especially to a rival, that could clearly be seen as stupid too. After all, how is He supposed to win the league without His best players.

Maybe we actually learned something from the RvP fiasco? That selling your top goalscorer to your rivals at the end of the transfer window doesn't make much sense?

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:27 AM
:hehe:

You are right though in that he is damned whatever he does.

If He'd been in the job for twenty days, everyone would give Him the benefit of the doubt. He's actually been about for rather longer than that though :-\

Viva Prat Vegas
09-01-2017, 09:29 AM
If He'd been in the job for twenty days, everyone would give Him the benefit of the doubt. He's actually been about for rather longer than that though :-\
Naive African defending from an old pro

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Maybe we actually learned something from the RvP fiasco? That selling your top goalscorer to your rivals at the end of the transfer window doesn't make much sense?

For a while now, there's been far more money about than players you want. P was trying to say, I think, that no matter how much money Wenger does or doesn't have, the way we play will not change.

Burney
09-01-2017, 09:36 AM
For a while now, there's been far more money about than players you want. P was trying to say, I think, that no matter how much money Wenger does or doesn't have, the way we play will not change.

Oh, sure. But I'm simply defending the decision not to sell Sanchez. I wish we'd done similar with players in the past.

redgunamo
09-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Oh, sure. But I'm simply defending the decision not to sell Sanchez. I wish we'd done similar with players in the past.

Right. But the more money than players problem has only recently become acute; now everybody is desperately hunting about for players to spend 50+million pounds apiece on. When we sold RvP, suitable replacements were readily available to us, hence our consistency over that period.

But now .. Well, imagine both you and your neighbour, whom you suspect has been eyeing up your missus, winning the pools on the same weekend :-\

eastgermanautos
09-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Only the 3 months.

It's not really like that though is it. You always have Barca, PSG, etc. stacked in the pole position. Droit du seigneur. We can only hope to score if it's like in the back alleyway, a five minute quickie, which is what we try for always on August 31st. Worked for Ozil, not for Lemar.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-04-2017, 03:40 AM
When we sold RvP, suitable replacements were readily available to us, hence our consistency over that period.
\

Are you sure? You could argue RVP has never been replaced. Santi replaced Nasri from the previous summer. Ozil then replaced Cesc. You could argue that Sanchez replaced Pires and the brief beauty of JAR on the left we'd been lacking for a decade - with decent attempts such as playing TR7 there and then AA23, and less decent ones like Gervinho and to a lesser extent Poldi.

But since RvP left, AW hasn't had a decent striker for the first time in his career and it's showing.

He was able to bodge defences when players like Kos came up trumps. But if you have a striker who doesn't have the pace to get a 1-on-1 or the skill to finish it, then all the creativity in MF is wasted.

And as you say, there are now so many teams with big money chasing fewer and fewer strikers, esp since the change to 4-3-3 meant that the old days of all teams having 2 up front so 3 good ones on the books has gone.

Given Sanchez and Ozil, don't you think last season would have been fine had we had a Wrighty or Titi or RVP up front?

We came 4th after selling Nasri and Cesc and getting Arteta. Because we had RVP. The next season, Santi, Olly and Poldi shared his goals between them.

But RvP hasn't been replaced and this is what half the problem stems from. The creativity is wasted without a top no.9.

eastgermanautos
09-04-2017, 03:46 AM

Not stupid at all, dude. Once we become known as a light touch, unable or unwilling to stand on principle, we get walked all over. Look at fvcking Van Persie. One day I will hunt that fvck down and give him a stern talking to.

eastgermanautos
09-04-2017, 03:48 AM

Word, Red. Word. Don't be payin no mind to this stupid mutherfvcker. He's got rocks in his fricken head.