PDA

View Full Version : GBBO on Channel 4....what are we thinking?

PSRB
08-30-2017, 08:23 AM
Don't mind Noel Fielding or Pru.

The chap that one the showstopper was rather good, looks the man to beat

Island with Bear Grylls, want to punch Iwan Thomas in the face. Water and fire, the 1st 2 things you do, not tricky!!

World's End Stella
08-30-2017, 08:27 AM

Island with Bear Grylls, want to punch Iwan Thomas in the face. Water and fire, the 1st 2 things you do, not tricky!!

I'm refusing to watch it with the hope that if everyone else does it will move back to BBC with Mel, Sue and Mary.

Thanks for the support mate. :-(

PSRB
08-30-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm refusing to watch it with the hope that if everyone else does it will move back to BBC with Mel, Sue and Mary.

Thanks for the support mate. :-(

Sorry, our client is one of the sponsors of the show :shrug:

Burney
08-30-2017, 08:33 AM

I was pleasantly surprised. They have clearly taken the very sensible view that, if you own a successful format, it's probably wise not to fúck about with it. Noel Fielding is very good, Sandi Toksvig is OK, but a bit meh and Paul Hollywood's still a bellend. I do worry about Prue Leith, however. She is not a likeable screen presence to say the least.

Burney
08-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Oh and the Bear Grylls thing is very funny. I like the fact that they're trying to frame it as how much better women are than men rather than pointing out that the real division here is not between men and women as between thick people and non-thick people. Iwan Thomas is as thick as two short planks, as is that Coronation Street man.

PSRB
08-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Oh and the Bear Grylls thing is very funny. I like the fact that they're trying to frame it as how much better women are than men rather than pointing out that the real division here is not between men and women as between thick people and non-thick people. Iwan Thomas is as thick as two short planks, as is that Coronation Street man.

I particularly like the lad from Breaking Bad, would appear to have taken most of the West coast of America's drugs.

Pat Vegas
08-30-2017, 08:40 AM

I'm not trying to stir something up but I fail to see why this show is popular.

Burney
08-30-2017, 08:43 AM
I particularly like the lad from Breaking Bad, would appear to have taken most of the West coast of America's drugs.

He does seem nice. However, most of them are plainly hateful and I sincerely hope they all get amoebic dysentery.

Burney
08-30-2017, 08:45 AM
I'm not trying to stir something up but I fail to see why this show is popular.

For the same reason that any challenge-based programme is popular. People perform the tasks with varying degrees of success (sometimes failing hilariously), while viewers pick favourites and enjoy the banter that goes on in between.

Pat Vegas
08-30-2017, 08:46 AM
For the same reason that any challenge-based programme is popular. People perform the tasks with varying degrees of success (sometimes failing hilariously), while viewers pick favourites and enjoy the banter that goes on in between.

Excellent what time is it on?
You are right I watched a show about people making swords out of metal as it was a competition.

Ash
08-30-2017, 08:53 AM

So a bit like the Generation Game then?

PSRB
08-30-2017, 08:54 AM

I used to love that. The original version(s) with Brucie and Larry (I forget which) and Isla St.Clair

Sir C
08-30-2017, 08:54 AM

The Generation Game was excellent. Brucey was best, but Larry grew into the role #shutthatdoor #slackalice

World's End Stella
08-30-2017, 08:57 AM
He does seem nice. However, most of them are plainly hateful and I sincerely hope they all get amoebic dysentery.

Which BB member is on it?

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:00 AM

A bit. But not as common.

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Which BB member is on it?

I wouldn't know. I recognised about 4 people in it.

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:01 AM
I used to love that. The original version(s) with Brucie and Larry (I forget which) and Isla St.Clair

Yes. A camp comic and a sexless scotch folk singer. Odd choice to host a gameshow when you think about it.

Ash
08-30-2017, 09:04 AM
A bit. But not as common.

:hehe: I used to get to watch it at my nan's. Would never be on in our house.

Sir C
08-30-2017, 09:05 AM
:hehe: I used to get to watch it at my nan's. Would never be on in our house.

Hostess trolley, teasmaid, socket set, vase, cuddly toy, alarm clock, conveyor belt, set of sliding doors..

Ash
08-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Hostess trolley, teasmaid, socket set, vase, cuddly toy, alarm clock, conveyor belt, set of sliding doors..

:nod: I was sternly told that it was a salient lesson in the vulgarity of people being prepared to humiliate themselves in pursuit of a few gaudy trinkets.

Sir C
08-30-2017, 09:10 AM
:nod: I was sternly told that it was a salient lesson in the vulgarity of people being prepared to humiliate themselves in pursuit of a few gaudy trinkets.

A Hostess trolley a gaudy trinket? I think not.

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:10 AM

Or...'capitalism', as it's also known. :hehe:

Ash
08-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Oh sorry. Do you have one?

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:11 AM

A mobile wooden cabinet capable of drying your already overcooked 1970s food out even further? What could be gaudier?

Sir C
08-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Oh sorry. Do you have one?

I would consider a dinner party a travesty without one, a. Having boiled the cabbage and the cauliflower for a mere 40 minutes, how else would I keep it nice and warm en route to the table?

Sir C
08-30-2017, 09:17 AM
A mobile wooden cabinet capable of drying your already overcooked 1970s food out even further? What could be gaudier?

Wooden? :hehe:

Burney
08-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Wooden? :hehe:

Well, 'mahogany effect'. :shrug:

redgunamo
08-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Yes. A camp comic and a sexless scotch folk singer. Odd choice to host a gameshow when you think about it.

No, proper entertainers, imo. None of today's crowd would've lasted five minutes, if you didn't allow strong language.

World's End Stella
08-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Oh Christ!

it's Walter Junior from BB. He's disabled, what's a bloke with cerebral palsy doing on the Island FFS?!

Was hoping it was Badger or Sneaky Pete.

Ash
08-30-2017, 09:45 AM
No, proper entertainers, imo. None of today's crowd would've lasted five minutes, if you didn't allow strong language.

Token 'your mum allows strong language' type post.

Didn't I do well?

redgunamo
08-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Token 'your mum allows strong language' type post.

Didn't I do well?

Yes, A. Good game, good game.

Burney
08-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Yes, A. Good game, good game.

I liked Larry Grayson. Proof, if proof were needed, that, when it comes to pooves, the Great British Public likes them absolutely screamingly effeminate.

It's these sneaky ones who could pass as straight we don't like. Don't know where you are with those chaps.