PDA

View Full Version : Did a reccy of the Kent coast this weekend with a view to a permanent move

Monty92
08-29-2017, 09:58 AM
Stayed in Ramsgate and also took in Broadstairs, Deal, Margate and Herne Bay.

Broadstairs is rather charming, I must say. Margate is still an absolute hole.

I just don’t know, man. Can I bring myself to give up Hampstead Heath, Mesut Ozil and a 30 min tube ride from Central London for a massive fúck off house by the seaside? :-(

Pat Vegas
08-29-2017, 10:02 AM

I just don’t know, man. Can I bring myself to give up Hampstead Heath, Mesut Ozil and a 30 min tube ride from Central London for a massive fúck off house by the seaside? :-(

Plus apart from the expense (:furious:) a lot of the commuter train routes get in faster to London or not much longer than your current tube journey.

Do it man London is getting worse brother.

I saw some Eastern European gypsies having a barbecue in the middle of a quiet residential North London road.

:-(

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:03 AM

In the nicest possble way, you do strike me as the sort of chap who will spend the rest of his life moaning about how parochial and lacking in amenities anywhere outside London is.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Plus apart from the expense (:furious:) a lot of the commuter train routes get in faster to London or not much longer than your current tube journey.

Do it man London is getting worse brother.

I saw some Eastern European gypsies having a barbecue in the middle of a quiet residential North London road.

:-(

I think there's only one fast train a day into London from most of these towns, and they tend to be very early in the morning for commuters.

Pat Vegas
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
I think there's only one fast train a day into London from most of these towns, and they tend to be very early in the morning for commuters.

I think a bit longer on a train each day is better in the long run if you have more space and piece and quiet in your free time.

Hopefully out of London simple things are a bit quicker. Like a simple trip shopping on a weekend here can take up a majority of the day with all the traffic and what not.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
In the nicest possble way, you do strike me as the sort of chap who will spend the rest of his life moaning about how parochial and lacking in amenities anywhere outside London is.

Well on a day to day basis I'm pretty low-maintenance in terms of my needs. It's not like I'm living it up in London every day, And we'd be close enough for regular trips in anyway, so I don't think I'd feel too deprived.

On another note, it is a bit weird how an area with literally no ethnics or immigrants became a UKIP heartland.

Mezut Ozil
08-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Please move away

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:12 AM

I lived in Ramsgate for a brief period in the 80s. It was minging and smelt of cabbage.

The chick, on the other hand, was filth personified :cloud9:

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Well on a day to day basis I'm pretty low-maintenance in terms of my needs. It's not like I'm living it up in London every day, And we'd be close enough for regular trips in anyway, so I don't think I'd feel too deprived.

On another note, it is a bit weird how an area with literally no ethnics or immigrants became a UKIP heartland.

People always say that about places like Essex and Kent as though it's somehow anomalous when of course it isn't. They of course forget that large parts of Kent and Essex are populated by people who have fled from parts of London and the South East that are now largely dominated by immigrants and would prefer that this process doesn't spread to where they now live.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:14 AM
I lived in Ramsgate for a brief period in the 80s. It was minging and smelt of cabbage.

Did she smell of cabbage?

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Did she smell of cabbage?

No, she smelt of Miss Dior, I believe.

She was utterly fúcking mental. Attacked me with a bread knife once, and that wasn't even a particularly outrageous incident.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Ramsgate's gone all gentrified in recent years. I imagine your erstwhile chick has been forced out to Margate or Herne Hill, most likely into a life of prostitution.

It's about to open the world's largest Wetherspoons on the seafront, with a huge sun terrace. It's actually been quite charmingly and thoughtfully done.

redgunamo
08-29-2017, 10:19 AM
People always say that about places like Essex and Kent as though it's somehow anomalous when of course it isn't. They of course forget that large parts of Kent and Essex are populated by people who have fled from parts of London and the South East that are now largely dominated by immigrants and would prefer that this process doesn't spread to where they now live.

Right. Folk left behind in urban areas need to believe that so they can continue to feel superior. It's mostly sour grapes and #fakenews though.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:19 AM
No, she smelt of Miss Dior, I believe.

She was utterly fúcking mental. Attacked me with a bread knife once, and that wasn't even a particularly outrageous incident.

Ah, they're never serious when they come at you with a bread knife in my experience. The serrated edge speaks of a largely symbolic threat.

If they've got hold of one of the Globals or a Wusthof, on the other hand... :-(

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Ramsgate's gone all gentrified in recent years. I imagine your erstwhile chick has been forced out to Margate or Herne Hill, most likely into a life of prostitution.

It's about to open the world's largest Wetherspoons on the seafront, with a huge sun terrace. It's actually been quite charmingly and thoughtfully done.

Right. One assumes Margate is still a total fùcking kip, though, yes?

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Right. One assumes Margate is still a total fùcking kip, though, yes?

Yes. We planned to spend the day there yesterday, but after driving along the seafront looking for parking we'd seen more than enough and drove straight out again.

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:26 AM

She married a banker and moved to Singapore.

Are you suggesting that Wetherspoons has created something charming? Fúck off.

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Ah, they're never serious when they come at you with a bread knife in my experience. The serrated edge speaks of a largely symbolic threat.

If they've got hold of one of the Globals or a Wusthof, on the other hand... :-(

The occasion she bit my finger down to the bone seemed to show some serious intent.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:28 AM
The occasion she bit my finger down to the bone seemed to show some serious intent.

There are worse things she could have bitten, tbf.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Yes. We planned to spend the day there yesterday, but after driving along the seafront looking for parking we'd seen more than enough and drove straight out again.

Tracy Emin came from Margate. That is enough to condemn it in my mind.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-29-2017, 10:31 AM

If she was a dog the owner would say She is just playing with you

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:33 AM
There are worse things she could have bitten, tbf.

She was remarkably different in any scenario involving the baser human activities. I shall say no more at this time in order to protect her modesty.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Tracy Emin came from Margate. That is enough to condemn it in my mind.

That's pretty much verbatim what I said to the missus in the car :hehe:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-29-2017, 10:38 AM
She used to stick her tongue up yer arse didn't she c. Most of 'em do that these days mate.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:41 AM
That's pretty much verbatim what I said to the missus in the car :hehe:

It was also the site of my first and last rollercoaster experience. I emerged from it even more mystified by why people would like such things and vowing never, ever to go on one again.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-29-2017, 10:42 AM
She was remarkably different in any scenario involving the baser human activities. I shall say no more at this time in order to protect her modesty.

She is ultimately responsible for your fecked shoulder
And for using up your entire supply of semen

redgunamo
08-29-2017, 10:46 AM
If she was a dog the owner would say She is just playing with you

And she'd be right. It just may not feel like it.

Peter
08-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Don't do it. You wont like it at all and it will be ****e for your kids once they are in their teens.

Are you desperately in need of more space?

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
It was also the site of my first and last rollercoaster experience. I emerged from it even more mystified by why people would like such things and vowing never, ever to go on one again.

Are you equally mystified by stuff like bungee jumping?

Isn't this just a matter of your physiology rendering such experiences undesirable, because they make you feel sick?

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Don't do it. You wont like it at all and it will be ****e for your kids once they are in their teens.

That's true, actually. His kids will end up spending their entire teenage years drinking cider and smoking skunk on the sea front.

Then they'll get heroin habits out of sheer boredom.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Are you equally mystified by stuff like bungee jumping?

Isn't this just a matter of your physiology rendering such experiences undesirable, because they make you feel sick?

Oh, no. They don't make me feel sick, they just trigger entirely rational fear responses in me and I'm not wired up to be one of those people who finds those responses enjoyable.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Yes, we'll certainly need more space within the next 5 or so years, but we don't want to miss while prices are dirt cheap.

Sir C
08-29-2017, 10:52 AM
That's true, actually. His kids will end up spending their entire teenage years drinking cider and smoking skunk on the sea front.

Yes, of course if they continue to grow up in wossname, Colindale isn't it? they'll spend their days reading poetry whilst drifting in punts.

Burney
08-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes, of course if they continue to grow up in wossname, Colindale isn't it? they'll spend their days reading poetry whilst drifting in punts.

:hehe: Fair point, but I do think there's a big difference between growing up as we did in the suburbs in easy striking distance of central London and growing up in a relatively isolated small town.

Peter
08-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Yes, we'll certainly need more space within the next 5 or so years, but we don't want to miss while prices are dirt cheap.

Could you afford to move to a ****tier area of London?

Leaving London sounds ok and you think you wont miss stuff, or are close enough to visit etc.....

Your life tends to catch up with you and you end up hardly ever going to the stuff you used to like. You sound like you make the most of living where you do and enjoy it. You are going to hate being stuck miles away in what will feel like a cultural vacuum for you.

The effort required for me to spend an afternoon in Camden makes it very, very difficult to do and actually enjoy.

Also, people who grow up on the south coast, in my experience, tend to be raging alcoholics and/or drug infested nutbags. Think of your children!

Peter
08-29-2017, 10:58 AM
:hehe: Fair point, but I do think there's a big difference between growing up as we did in the suburbs in easy striking distance of central London and growing up in a relatively isolated small town.

Yep. And there is a difference between a kid who happily necks a gram of speed and goes on a rampage for 24 hours and one who is still doing it a week later.

SWv2
08-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Kent is the swinger or sex deviant capital of the UK.

I read this at the weekend, Guardian perhaps on Saturday. It all fits now.

Monty92
08-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Could you afford to move to a ****tier area of London?

Leaving London sounds ok and you think you wont miss stuff, or are close enough to visit etc.....

Your life tends to catch up with you and you end up hardly ever going to the stuff you used to like. You sound like you make the most of living where you do and enjoy it. You are going to hate being stuck miles away in what will feel like a cultural vacuum for you.

The effort required for me to spend an afternoon in Camden makes it very, very difficult to do and actually enjoy.

Also, people who grow up on the south coast, in my experience, tend to be raging alcoholics and/or drug infested nutbags. Think of your children!

Yes, we could. But we're raging snobs and are looking to have our cake and eat it, i.e.big house AND nice area

Burney
08-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Kent is the swinger or sex deviant capital of the UK.

I read this at the weekend, Guardian perhaps on Saturday. It all fits now.

Is it? :-( I lived there for 15 years and never got a sniff of any perversion. :-(

Burney
08-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Yes, we could. But we're raging snobs and are looking to have our cake and eat it, i.e. massive house AND nice area

That's why people get second homes, m.

redgunamo
08-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Is it? :-( I lived there for 15 years and never got a sniff of any perversion. :-(

That may be where you're going wrong; it's not considered a perversion nowadays.

Burney
08-29-2017, 11:16 AM
That may be where you're going wrong; it's not considered a perversion nowadays.

Sorry, but watching your wife get knobbed by other blokes while you knob their wives is definitely a perversion, as is having sex in a car park while others masturbate.

I have very strict ideas on these matters, r.

Peter
08-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Yes, we could. But we're raging snobs and are looking to have our cake and eat it, i.e.big house AND nice area

Outside of London 'nice area' literally translates as 'boring as ****'

SWv2
08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
Outside of London 'nice area' literally translates as 'boring as ****'

Monty is boring as fúck so can't see the problem.

Sorry M but we both know you're hardly the life and soul. Two kids and all that.

redgunamo
08-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Sorry, but watching your wife get knobbed by other blokes while you knob their wives is definitely a perversion, as is having sex in a car park while others masturbate.

Of course, but it's all about the wives nowadays, isn't it. "What women want" and a' that. Chaps have little say in the matter. Either you're on board with it, so to speak, or the ship sails without you. And few blokes have any credibility left on the topic anyway; let he who is without sin and so on.

Sir C
08-29-2017, 12:17 PM

You're so very... narrow.