PDA

View Full Version : Eating alone - when I was young I thought it was horribly sad.

Burney
08-25-2017, 01:15 PM
As I've got older, I've grown to love it.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:22 PM

I enjoy it at lunchtime, but in the evening? On the lonely businessman shift? Not so much.

glw away tonight and I considered a trip to Bluewater for shawarma... perhaps I'll just go for the large doner instead.

Pokster
08-25-2017, 01:25 PM
I enjoy it at lunchtime, but in the evening? On the lonely businessman shift? Not so much.

glw away tonight and I considered a trip to Bluewater for shawarma... perhaps I'll just go for the large doner instead.

Had a shawarma for lunch... a whole £3-49

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Almost never happens; If I'm alone, I simply don't eat :-\

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Had a shawarma for lunch... a whole £3-49

Telling that your focus is on the cheapness of the dish rather than the quality #yorkshire

Pokster
08-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Telling that your focus is on the cheapness of the dish rather than the quality #yorkshire

Take it as read that it was pure quality.... the cheapness of it just adds to the pleasure

Burney
08-25-2017, 01:28 PM

There's shawarma in Bluewater these days? When did this happen?

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:29 PM
There's shawarma in Bluewater these days? When did this happen?

About a year ago, I guess. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 01:33 PM

For lunch I prefer it. For dinner not much when I went on a business trip to Vienna and LA after the first night I just had room service for the rest of the trip.
i may have had Club sandwiches for multiple days in a row :-(

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:36 PM
For lunch I prefer it. For dinner not much when I went on a business trip to Vienna and LA after the first night I just had room service for the rest of the trip.
i may have had Club sandwiches for multiple days in a row :-(

The day Porto beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final I was in a hotel in Dusseldorf, siytuated on a trading estate. I went to the lobby and bought my dinner from a vending machine. Crisps, peanuts, Snickers bars and Haribos :-(

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 01:38 PM
The day Porto beat Celtic in the UEFA cup final I was in a hotel in Dusseldorf, siytuated on a trading estate. I went to the lobby and bought my dinner from a vending machine. Crisps, peanuts, Snickers bars and Haribos :-(

:hehe: not that strange to some of the meals I eat recently.

The other day I ate a tin of stewed steak :-(
out of the tin :-(

cold

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:42 PM

I think I know that place. Near the Daimler/Benz factory?

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:42 PM
:hehe: not that strange to some of the meals I eat recently.

The other day I ate a tin of stewed steak :-(
out of the tin :-(

cold

Are you a dog, P?

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Are you a dog, P?

Sometimes.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Sometimes.

Fair enough. It's not a bad life apparently.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:48 PM
I think I know that place. Near the Daimler/Benz factory?

I'm not sure. All I recall is weeping with self-pity at the pathetic nature of my existence.

I suppose I could have popped into the locall FKK for some company.

SWv2
08-25-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure. All I recall is weeping with self-pity at the pathetic nature of my existence.

I suppose I could have popped into the locall FKK for some company.

Did this hotel not serve food of any sort in the bar?

Sir C
08-25-2017, 01:55 PM

I just couldn't face the thought of the table for one again. You know, the nice table, by the bogs, which comes complete with pitying glances from waiters :-(

SWv2
08-25-2017, 01:58 PM
I just couldn't face the thought of the table for one again. You know, the nice table, by the bogs, which comes complete with pitying glances from waiters :-(

You sound like a gay. Are you a gay?

You don’t know these people, these German waiting staff. What care you if they look awkwardly in your direction and think of you are a sad, lonely Dutch with dyed hair.

Fúck them. Just click your fingers and summon another 2 beers. Nuts even.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 01:59 PM

You should have gone Sir C. Somebody you know would have turned up and joined you. I am lead to believe this happens all the time in Tv shows such as Dallas or Dynasty.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 02:01 PM

You don’t know these people, these German waiting staff. What care you if they look awkwardly in your direction and think of you are a sad, lonely Dutch with dyed hair.

Too many nights of it, sw. Too many lonely businessman nights in one lifetime will break any man.

Now I send some minion to do that shít.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 02:02 PM

If he were gay he'd find someone to have dinner with.
or engage in some other sort of activity that would take his mind off things.

I believe that's how it works.

Pokster
08-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Too many nights of it, sw. Too many lonely businessman nights in one lifetime will break any man.

You are Gareth Cheeseman

redgunamo

If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's a modern, trendy joint built on the site of the area where, in the old days, they used to load Monty's sort onto trains. Just to be sure, the quarter is called the Old Slaughterhouse. Local humour, I suppose. My in-laws live not far away

:-|

SWv2

I used to hate it personally.

12 weeks I lived in the Thistle Hotel on Central Street, like a more upmarket Irish Alan Partridge.

“Fúck me, must be great to live in a hotel” my colleagues would say.

Take away kebab maybe then by 9pm sat at the bar again, just me and the barman. On a Tuesday. Beezer.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 02:06 PM

12 weeks I lived in the Thistle Hotel on Central Street, like a more upmarket Irish Alan Partridge.

Take away kebab maybe then by 9pm sat at the bar again, just me and the barman. On a Tuesday. Beezer.

U no dat, sw.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 02:07 PM
If he were gay he'd find someone to have dinner with.
or engage in some other sort of activity that would take his mind off things.

I believe that's how it works.

Are you usggesting the gays are promiscuous, f?

Bit homophobic.

Burney
08-25-2017, 02:12 PM

The wànking, sw. You've left out all the wànking.

SWv2
08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
The wànking, sw. You've left out all the wànking.

Never at the bar B.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Are you usggesting the gays are promiscuous, f?

Bit homophobic.

No brother, Men are men after all.

I am not a homosexual person. but I all of a sudden wanted some I bet it wouldn't take very long to get a piece of the action.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 02:14 PM

I worked there for 2 weeks that was enough.

Burney
08-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Never at the bar B.

I admire a man who has a code, sw.

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 02:34 PM
When I first came to England I worked for about a year and a half at a software house in Farringdon. It was so incompetently managed that I used to take 2 hour lunches as there was so little to do. I'd go to a place called the Betsy Trotwood early doors when no one else was there and chat to the landlord and consume 3-4 pints of bitter, packet of cheese and onion crisps (as a starter), a ham sandwich with chips and on occasion a cheese board to finish.

It was during the England/Saffie test series when Atherton batted for two days, probably 96? The landlord explained test cricket to me and I developed a love for it, bitter and Coleman's mustard which I lathered all over the bread before eating my sandwich.

The good ole days :cloud9:

SWv2
08-25-2017, 02:39 PM
When I first came to England I worked for about a year and a half at a software house in Farringdon. It was so incompetently managed that I used to take 2 hour lunches as there was so little to do. I'd go to a place called the Betsy Trotwood early doors when no one else was there and chat to the landlord and consume 3-4 pints of bitter, packet of cheese and onion crisps (as a starter), a ham sandwich with chips and on occasion a cheese board to finish.

It was during the England/Saffie test series when Atherton batted for two days, probably 96? The landlord explained test cricket to me and I developed a love for it, bitter and Coleman's mustard which I lathered all over the bread before eating my sandwich.

The good ole days :cloud9:

A cheese board, in a pub, in 1996.

Good lord.

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 02:40 PM
A cheese board, in a pub, in 1996.

Good lord.

It was some cheese on a plate with some savoury biscuits and a bit of bread and butter.

Cheese board may be an overstatement.

Ash
08-25-2017, 02:42 PM

I used to play gigs downstairs at the Betsey. Great little place. Like the Hope & Anchor in Islington but even more intimate. You're basically standing in the audience.

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 02:44 PM
I used to play gigs downstairs at the Betsey. Great little place. Like the Hope & Anchor in Islington but even more intimate. You're basically standing in the audience.

Yeah loved it back then. Went back a few years ago when I was in the area and it's now a gastro pub (restaurant) effectively.

May have had braised pork belly on the menu. :-|

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah loved it back then. Went back a few years ago when I was in the area and it's now a gastro pub (restaurant) effectively.

May have had braised pork belly on the menu. :-|

Pork belly is tremendous

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Pork belly is tremendous

Yeah but it has no place in a pub. Not a proper one, anyway.