PDA

View Full Version : Blimey, we could end up with Marseille, Hoffenheim and AEK.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 08:45 AM
You wouldn't want to play the kids against that lot.

Ash
08-25-2017, 08:50 AM

We might if we don't mind getting out of the tournament early doors so we can concentrate on going for fourth place and the FA Cup.

I have no idea if those teams are any good. not that teams need to be particularly good to score against us at the moment.

Pat Vegas
08-25-2017, 08:52 AM
We might if we don't mind getting out of the tournament early doors so we can concentrate on going for fourth place and the FA Cup.

I have no idea if those teams are any good. not that teams need to be particularly good to score against us at the moment.

What if we drop everything else and concentrate only on the Europa league as it is entry to the CL.

Burney
08-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Surely that's exactly what we ought to do in order that we get knocked out of the poxy thing as early as possible?

Peter
08-25-2017, 08:55 AM

At some point in the season I fear it will become our best chance of getting back in the Champions League. Given our fixture list over the next few months that point may come rather soon. Looks like top four could be even harder than last year.

Peter
08-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Surely that's exactly what we ought to do in order that we get knocked out of the poxy thing as early as possible?

But its better than the top four trophy. Not only do you get an actual trophy but you get straight into the CL group stage. Its basically a top three trophy.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-25-2017, 09:01 AM
At some point in the season I fear it will become our best chance of getting back in the Champions League. Given our fixture list over the next few months that point may come rather soon. Looks like top four could be even harder than last year.

was remotely interested, actually win the fúcking thing?

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/laughing-emoticon-16999466.jpg

Burney
08-25-2017, 09:03 AM
But its better than the top four trophy. Not only do you get an actual trophy but you get straight into the CL group stage. Its basically a top three trophy.

No it's not. It involves tedious games against tedious foreign sides and it goes on for-fvcking-ever.

Fvck European football, p. I hate it.

Monty92
08-25-2017, 09:04 AM
even get you champions league football.

PSRB
08-25-2017, 09:07 AM
No it's not. It involves tedious games against tedious foreign sides and it goes on for-fvcking-ever.

I do wish they'd just stuck with European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup, was much better

Peter
08-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Its all those things AND a top four trophy. This is european football where we could actually win some games. Its different.

THe only downside is if we do win it we end up in the ****ing champions league again :mad:

Burney
08-25-2017, 09:09 AM
I do wish they'd just stuck with European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup, was much better

I wish they'd just stuck with straight knockout tournaments.

Peter
08-25-2017, 09:09 AM

It led to too much talk about which was the ****test one. At least now that is clearer- one for the good teams, one for the pub teams.

Burney
08-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Its all those things AND a top four trophy. This is european football where we could actually win some games. Its different.

THe only downside is if we do win it we end up in the ****ing champions league again :mad:

Surely by now people must have started to notice that the Champion's League is sh1t?

Ash

It's like two trophies, in other words.

I forgot about that.

Sir C

This may be so. My point, however, was more that teams such as these could give a reserve team a very serious hiding, which would be embarrassing.

Peter
08-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Not exactly. The point was that, however unlikely, I fear it may be more likely than finishing fourth.

But yes, we could possibly win it. It is full of **** teams and some of the good ones don't take it seriously.

Peter
08-25-2017, 09:12 AM
It's like two trophies, in other words.

I forgot about that.

A double, if you will.

Burney
08-25-2017, 09:12 AM
This may be so. My point, however, was more that teams such as these could give a reserve team a very serious hiding, which would be embarrassing.

I would give nary a fvck, tbh. It's no more embarrassing than losing a League Cup game against some nobodies because you've wheeled out the kids.

PSRB
08-25-2017, 09:13 AM

United lost 2 group games and still won the group by 5 points, I think we'd have to try exceptionally hard not to make it out of the group stages

Sir C
08-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Surely by now people must have started to notice that the Champion's League is sh1t?

The group stage may well be a bit of a dull slog designed to satisfy sponsors, but you still end up at a point where you're watching the best teams in Europe play each other on balmy spring evenings, and, to be blunt, if you don't enjoy that, you simply don't like football.

Burney
08-25-2017, 09:22 AM
The group stage may well be a bit of a dull slog designed to satisfy sponsors, but you still end up at a point where you're watching the best teams in Europe play each other on balmy spring evenings, and, to be blunt, if you don't enjoy that, you simply don't like football.

Nope. Any interest in the thing ends with Arsenal getting knocked out. The 'best teams in Europe' can all fvck off and tit about on balmy spring evenings to their hearts' content as far as I'm concerned. I simply don't care about them. Pricks.

Sir C
08-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Nope. Any interest in the thing ends with Arsenal getting knocked out. The 'best teams in Europe' can all fvck off and tit about on balmy spring evenings to their hearts' content as far as I'm concerned. I simply don't care about them. Pricks.

:clap: There speaks a true devotee of the Beautiful Game. :clap:

SWv2
08-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Bit of a weird thing to say given his fantastic record in a tournament that doesn't even get you champions league football.

Which tournament are you referring to?

Pokster
08-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Which tournament are you referring to?

the fa cup obviously

SWv2
08-25-2017, 11:17 AM
the fa cup obviously

What has the FA Cup go to do with anything?

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 11:24 AM
What if we drop everything else and concentrate only on the Europa league as it is entry to the CL.

May as well drop everything else and concentrate on winning the Premier League then, imo.

Pokster
08-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Nothing, but you know what m is like, will go on about any topic that has nothing to do with what others are talking about

SWv2
08-25-2017, 11:26 AM
May as well drop everything else and concentrate on winning the Premier League then, imo.

You always cheer me up on a Friday R. Thank you.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Slight difference in qualitee there

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 12:32 PM
You always cheer me up on a Friday R. Thank you.

:hehe: I knew you'd enjoy that one.

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 12:47 PM

If it makes you feel any better, mate, I'm awfully intelligent and very well educated and when I read Monty's reply the only thing that came to my mind was 'that reply is utterly devoid of any logic whatsoever, good thing big nose writes photo captions for a living'.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 12:55 PM
If it makes you feel any better, mate, I'm awfully intelligent and very well educated and when I read Monty's reply the only thing that came to my mind was 'that reply is utterly devoid of any logic whatsoever, good thing big nose writes photo captions for a living'.

Well, I'm as thick as pig**** and very poorly-educated too, but I've had a good, long look at M's post and I reckon it means that as the Europa League is considered to be basically a pan-European version of the FA Cup, Wenger could quite reasonably be expected to repeat His success in the latter competition in the former.

It probably doesn't though :-\

Ash
08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Well, I'm as thick as pig**** and very poorly-educated too, but I've had a good, long look at M's post and I reckon it means that as the Europa League is considered to be basically a pan-European version of the FA Cup, Wenger could quite reasonably be expected to repeat His success in the latter competition in the former.

It probably doesn't though :-\

Winning the FA Cup takes six games, of which about two might be against good sides. They are single-legged and involve no travel of thousands of miles, or the ritual humiliation of the thursday-sunday cycle (I have no idea if that makes a difference or not tbh). A lot more games than that in the Europa Tournament, and some decent-ish sides joining the knockout stages.

SWv2
08-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Winning the FA Cup takes six games, of which about two might be against good sides. They are single-legged and involve no travel of thousands of miles, or the ritual humiliation of the thursday-sunday cycle (I have no idea if that makes a difference or not tbh). A lot more games than that in the Europa Tournament, and some decent-ish sides joining the knockout stages.

And we are shít A, never forget that.

#wengerout

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:06 PM

I thought the issue was with quality and status though, rather than scheduling? The tiredness cannot conceivably be a problem as we apparently have an enormous squad.

Ash
08-25-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought the issue was with quality and status though, rather than scheduling? The tiredness cannot conceivably be a problem as we apparently have an enormous squad.

Maybe. Look, I'd rather agree with you tbh than that preening, arrogant septic up there who thinks a physics degree qualifies him to be an expert on football. Fact is none of us or the club or the players have any experience in this tournament. It is literally a step into the unknown. Especially Belarus.

Oh, and btw WES, Aaron Ramsey plays further up front in the second half under instructions from Le Boss, not under his own steam.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Maybe. Look, I'd rather agree with you tbh than that preening, arrogant septic up there who thinks a physics degree qualifies him to be an expert on football. Fact is none of us or the club or the players have any experience in this tournament. It is literally a step into the unknown. Especially Belarus.

Oh, and btw WES, Aaron Ramsey plays further up front in the second half under instructions from Le Boss, not under his own steam.

Decent lads, your White Russians; brave and strong. Can't shoot for **** though :-\

And who said that about Rambo?

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:30 PM
And we are shít A, never forget that.

#wengerout

If we can be bothered, we should win it fairly easily, no alarms. However, what if Wenger was right when He said that Arsenal players are simply not interested in the Europa League, that it is not why they join us :-|

SWv2
08-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Decent read that.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Decent read that.

Terrific. I remember the days when this forum was all about sharing :-|

SWv2
08-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Terrific. I remember the days when this forum was all about sharing :-|

Only because I like you R.

https://arseblog.com/2017/08/bizarre-love-triangle/

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 01:55 PM
A whole article about midfielders :-|

Only because I like you R.

https://arseblog.com/2017/08/bizarre-love-triangle/

SWv2
08-25-2017, 02:03 PM
A whole article about midfielders :-|

I know, marvellous wasn’t it.

We all know the real players in a football team are the midfielders – the pivots, the regista, CDM, RWM etc.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 02:09 PM
I know, marvellous wasn’t it.

We all know the real players in a football team are the midfielders – the pivots, the regista, CDM, RWM etc.

Yes, you do see where this sort of thinking has got us, don't you. We let Thierry Henry go for this :-(

#Wenger&WilliamsOUT

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 02:51 PM

I'll ignore your gratuitous abuse and point out that I am fully aware that Ramsey is a problem in no small part because of Wenger.

And Jese scored in the 47th minute, in case you didn't know.

SWv2
08-25-2017, 03:03 PM
I'll ignore your gratuitous abuse and point out that I am fully aware that Ramsey is a problem in no small part because of Wenger.

And Jese scored in the 47th minute, in case you didn't know.

I think, and I must be clear that I am not stating this on behalf of A, that is the point he was making.

Jese scored very early in the second half, and the belief is that the instruction from AW to AR is that he is licensed to bomb forward in the second half, less so the first 45.

“As Berahino bore down on the Arsenal defence, the Stoke man exposed the fact that, even when in half way acceptable defensive starting positions, Granit Xhaka and Mesut Özil are not the guys you want steeple chasing their way back towards their own goal. Ramsey is variously accused of stupidity and selfishness with his forward runs, but that rather ignores the undercurrent of instruction at play.

Over the last year or so, Ramsey has tailored his outlook according to the clock. In the first half of matches, he is very restrained and pretty much holds his position, before breaking loose in the second half. His first goal of last season came a minute after half time, in an FA Cup tie at Preston North End. After lashing the ball into the net from the edge of the area, he turns and points to Arsene Wenger on the bench.

You don’t have to be Inspector Clouseau to work out that a conversation took place during the interval in which the Welshman was expressly told to push on. Look at the time stamps of his Arsenal goals since that evening- 75, 90, 79, 83. Ramsey plays conservatively in the first half and then more adventurously in the second and that doesn’t happen by accident, it’s by design.”

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 03:24 PM
I think, and I must be clear that I am not stating this on behalf of A, that is the point he was making.

Jese scored very early in the second half, and the belief is that the instruction from AW to AR is that he is licensed to bomb forward in the second half, less so the first 45.

“As Berahino bore down on the Arsenal defence, the Stoke man exposed the fact that, even when in half way acceptable defensive starting positions, Granit Xhaka and Mesut Özil are not the guys you want steeple chasing their way back towards their own goal. Ramsey is variously accused of stupidity and selfishness with his forward runs, but that rather ignores the undercurrent of instruction at play.

Over the last year or so, Ramsey has tailored his outlook according to the clock. In the first half of matches, he is very restrained and pretty much holds his position, before breaking loose in the second half. His first goal of last season came a minute after half time, in an FA Cup tie at Preston North End. After lashing the ball into the net from the edge of the area, he turns and points to Arsene Wenger on the bench.

You don’t have to be Inspector Clouseau to work out that a conversation took place during the interval in which the Welshman was expressly told to push on. Look at the time stamps of his Arsenal goals since that evening- 75, 90, 79, 83. Ramsey plays conservatively in the first half and then more adventurously in the second and that doesn’t happen by accident, it’s by design.”

So the theory is that after we completely dominated the first half and created more than enough chances to win the game, Wenger went into the dressing room at half time and didn't say 'we're in control lads, keep it up and be patient, the goal will come' but instead said 'Aaron get forward even more than you did in that first half that we just completely dominated and do it immediately, no hanging about as we only have 45 minutes left to play so it's getting urgent'?

Never thought I'd say this but I don't think you're showing the SFC enough respect.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Coincidence, imo. Anyway, it would make far more sense the other way around. Any side in England getting us to half-time without conceding would fancy its chances of the win. I don't say that they are all capable of it, just that they would all fancy it.

World's End Stella
08-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Coincidence, imo. Anyway, it would make far more sense the other way around. Any side in England getting us to half-time without conceding would fancy its chances of the win. I don't say that they are all capable of it, just that they would all fancy it.

I'm also loving the logic that uses goals in the 75, 90, 79 and 83rd minutes as proof that Ramsey is instructed at halftime to push forward more often.

:clap:

The muppet that wrote that wants to look up the term 'logical leap' or perhaps to begin with 'deductive logic'.

Ash
08-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm also loving the logic that uses goals in the 75, 90, 79 and 83rd minutes as proof that Ramsey is instructed at halftime to push forward more often.

The muppet that wrote that wants to look up the term 'logical leap' or perhaps to begin with 'deductive logic'.

The minutes of the goals were only part of the overall case.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 03:59 PM

"He turns and points to Arsene Wenger on the bench."

****ing hell.

redgunamo
08-25-2017, 04:06 PM
The minutes of the goals were only part of the overall case.

In fairness, it is possible that after the Leicester City match, getting Stoke City to half-time at nil-all would count as a triumph to be celebrated by immediately casting all caution to the wind.

Tony C
08-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Calling it now...Arsenal vs Spurs final :cloud9: