PDA

View Full Version : Blimey. We must have been awfully clever back in the day.

Sir C
08-24-2017, 02:11 PM
I got a B in this shít.

http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/Images/1974j-mathematics-olevel-questionpaper.pdf

Sir C
08-24-2017, 02:13 PM
I got a B in this shít.

http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/Images/1974j-mathematics-olevel-questionpaper.pdf

And a C in this! I;m a fúcking genius!

http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/Images/1984j-french-alevel-questionpaper.pdf

SWv2
08-24-2017, 02:16 PM
I got a B in this shít.

It does all seem terribly complicated and indeed utterly fúcking useless and irrelevant in real life.

Burney
08-24-2017, 02:17 PM
I got a B in this shít.

:shudder: It all brings back horrid memories. :-(

Pat Vegas
08-24-2017, 02:18 PM
I got a B in this shít.

Yeah but teachers never shagged the students in those days :-(

Well there were rumours but I never believed them

SWv2
08-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Probably did in my school.

Sir C
08-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Oh I'd say a small majority of our Masters were predatory peedos, f.

Burney

Don't you believe it, f! One of ours used to take boys on 'boating holidays' from which they would emerge older, wiser and with arseholes like windsocks.

Sir C
:shudder: It all brings back horrid memories. :-(

The French A level one is terrifying. By Christ, my teachers were heroes.

Burney
08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
The French A level one is terrifying. By Christ, my teachers were heroes.

Yes, the leap from GCSE to A-Level German came as something of a culture shock, I must admit. I quickly switched to Politics, which allowed me to use my bullshītting powers more effectively rather than actually having to know stuff.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:25 PM
I got a B in this shít.

Most O-level maths is fairly trivial really. A-level maths, fùcking hell, that's a different ball-game.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:27 PM
It does all seem terribly complicated and indeed utterly fúcking useless and irrelevant in real life.

Neither useless nor irrelevant. I do calculations like some of those almost every day in my working life, and the business depends on them.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Yes, the leap from GCSE to A-Level German came as something of a culture shock, I must admit. I quickly switched to Politics, which allowed me to use my bullshītting powers more effectively rather than actually having to know stuff.

Politics :hehe:

Did you do Media Studies as well?

Sir C
08-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Neither useless nor irrelevant. I do calculations like some of those almost every day in my working life, and the business depends on them.

You work for a circle manufacturer?

SWv2
08-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Manually or by using pre-designed (or pre-defined?) formulae embedded within databases / spreadsheets?

World's End Stella
08-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Yeah but if you can understand that **** imagine how good you'll be with the simpler stuff that is useful and relevant.

Which is sort of the point.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Manually or by using pre-designed (or pre-defined?) formulae embedded within databases / spreadsheets?

Well, I devise the processes, steps and write the formulae. I don't add the fùcking things up by hand every time. The point I was making is the ability to solve the problem rather than do arithmetic. A bit of arithmetic in the head is ok, but I'm no darts player.

SWv2
08-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Well, I devise the processes, steps and write the formulae. I don't add the fùcking things up by hand every time. The point I was making is the ability to solve the problem rather than do arithmetic. A bit of arithmetic in the head is ok, but I'm no darts player.

Don't get feisty with me pal!!!

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:39 PM
You work for a circle manufacturer?

Business is cyclical, after all. :badoomtish:

I would point back to the words "some of". Churn models, segmented average spend, pattern analysis blah blah.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Don't get feisty with me pal!!!

No need get to tetchy with me, my friend!!! :driving:

I hadn't intended to be feisty btw. I will issue a three-part apology on Twitter. I may have to open a Twitter account do to this.

PSRB
08-24-2017, 02:47 PM

:rubchin: Our art teacher by many accounts had a way with a quantity of the 5th form girls. Our Science teacher ended up doing time for being a bit too hands on with some of the chaps that he used to get help run his mobile disco

Burney
08-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Politics :hehe:

Did you do Media Studies as well?

I rather enjoyed it. Detailed study of the UK and US political systems. It means I actually understand how the US election system works, which is little short of fücking miraculous, since the US electoral system is mental.

I got an A in it, of course. And in History. And English Lit. :-D

Burney
08-24-2017, 02:50 PM
:rubchin: Our art teacher by many accounts had a way with a quantity of the 5th form girls. Our Science teacher ended up doing time for being a bit too hands on with some of the chaps that he used to get help run his mobile disco

:hehe: A mobile disco. Surely having a mobile disco is tantamount to wearing a t-shirt with the words 'I AM A MASSIVE NONCE' written on it?

Pat Vegas
08-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Oh I'd say a small majority of our Masters were predatory peedos, f.

I was thinking more of these hot young dime pieces who give their teenage boy students a good seeing to.

Ash
08-24-2017, 02:55 PM
I rather enjoyed it. Detailed study of the UK and US political systems. It means I actually understand how the US election system works, which is little short of fücking miraculous, since the US electoral system is mental.

Fair play to you. I've no idea how the US system works, which led to me giving up on the West Wing round about series four or five.

Burney
08-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Fair play to you. I've no idea how the US system works, which led to me giving up on the West Wing round about series four or five.

Well the short answer is that it doesn't, really. But then neither does ours. We all muddle through somehow, though, which is rather encouraging.

Sir C
08-24-2017, 03:04 PM

Of course by your day they had become dumbed down :sniff:

Sir C
08-24-2017, 03:04 PM
I was thinking more of these hot young dime pieces who give their teenage boy students a good seeing to.

Back in 5, f.

PSRB
08-24-2017, 03:08 PM
:hehe: A mobile disco. Surely having a mobile disco is tantamount to wearing a t-shirt with the words 'I AM A MASSIVE NONCE' written on it?

Even as a slightly stupid 14-15 yr old it did raise a rather large, red flag.

Burney
08-24-2017, 03:09 PM

They were nothing of the sort! Sure, GCSEs were a doss, but A Levels were beastly things. My degree exams were a walk in the park by comparison. A Levels were by far the most academically rigorous exams I ever took.

Ash
08-24-2017, 03:11 PM
They were nothing of the sort! Sure, GCSEs were a doss, but A Levels were beastly things. My degree exams were a walk in the park by comparison. A Levels were by far the most academically rigorous exams I ever took.

:nod: A-levels were pure hell. Are they really easier these days, or is that just us being old farts?

Burney
08-24-2017, 03:11 PM

Actually, looking at those exam papers I realise that our heads were absolutely crammed full of all that stuff back then. Our teachers did do a very good job of filling up our brains. And then - at pretty much the moment we walked out of the exam hall - it mostly all fell out.

It's a wonder we had any time for smoking and girls with all that going on, really.

Burney
08-24-2017, 03:12 PM
:nod: A-levels were pure hell. Are they really easier these days, or is that just us being old farts?

My daughter just did hers and they sounded very similar to the ones I did. Mind you, they have just changed them to fück coursework out the window, which might explain it.

Pat Vegas
08-24-2017, 03:13 PM

If you read this and pretend it's some sort of Hooker forum it's most entertaining.

Burney
08-24-2017, 03:14 PM
If you read this and pretend it's some sort of Hooker forum it's most entertaining.

I've just mentioned my daughter. :-(

Ash
08-24-2017, 03:57 PM

I'm not familiar with these hooker forums, Pat. Is it something to do with rugby?

Pat Vegas
08-24-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm not familiar with these hooker forums, Pat. Is it something to do with rugby?

:nod: 10 characters