PDA

View Full Version : I see cyclists are getting outraged because a cyclist who knowingly rode an unsafe

Burney
08-24-2017, 09:54 AM
bike into a woman and killed her has been prosecuted for it

These people really do think the law shouldn't apply to them. Tossers.

redgunamo
08-24-2017, 10:10 AM

Worth a try though, nowadays, isn't it.

PSRB
08-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Whilst the bloke is clearly an utter tosser, I will say that I've never used the front brake on a bike to actually brake, that's just bloody dangerous!! Front brake is to be used for pulling endos and that's it

Burney
08-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Worth a try though, nowadays, isn't it.

The ghastly little shīt was lucky not to be prosecuted for manslaughter. I sincerely hope he ends up under a lorry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4809216/Cyclist-no-brakes-killed-mother.html

Burney
08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Whilst the bloke is clearly an utter tosser, I will say that I've never used the front brake on a bike to actually brake, that's just bloody dangerous!! Front brake is to be used for pulling endos and that's it

Hardly the point. The law requires a front brake on the vehicle in question and he rode it knowing it didn't have one. Had it had one and had he used it, it's probable that the woman would be alive today. He might have got hurt, but who cares about him?

PSRB
08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
The ghastly little shīt was lucky not to be prosecuted for manslaughter. I sincerely hope he ends up under a lorry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4809216/Cyclist-no-brakes-killed-mother.html

He was prosecuted for Manslaughter, just found not guilty

Burney
08-24-2017, 10:22 AM
He was prosecuted for Manslaughter, just found not guilty

Sorry, yes. I knew that. No idea why I typed that.

redgunamo
08-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Hardly the point. The law requires a front brake on the vehicle in question and he rode it knowing it didn't have one. Had it had one and had he used it, it's probable that the woman would be alive today. He might have got hurt, but who cares about him?

Yeah, but the law requires lots of things. I'm not sure anyone really cares about that anymore, or thinks it's the be all and end all.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Is it cyclists getting outraged or a cyclist?

Burney
08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Is it cyclists getting outraged or a cyclist?

Well it does seem to be plural, but this rather nauseating piece of special pleading is what really aroused my ire.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

barrybueno
08-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Endos :clap: You've instantly taken me back 35 years there, thank you.

PS. I wonce did over 100 hopbacks btw

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Well it does seem to be plural, but this rather nauseating piece of special pleading is what really aroused my ire.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

Shirley a rear brake would be more preferable? Going over the handlebars when abruptly braking using only the front brake might sound like an adrenalin rush for some but it cannot possibly be pleasant....

redgunamo
08-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Shirley a rear brake would be more preferable? Going over the handlebars when abruptly braking using only the front brake might sound like an adrenalin rush for some but it cannot possibly be pleasant....

Possibly, but it can't be easy to make that argument after you've failed to stop, in any case, and smashed someone's head in, killing them.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-24-2017, 12:11 PM
I believe the judge has already noted the little ****'s total absence of any remorse b. His way of letting him now he'll get the 'best' tariff available for the crime of which he has been found guilty.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Possibly, but it can't be easy to make that argument after you've failed to stop, in any case, and smashed someone's head in, killing them.

That wasn't my point.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2017, 01:14 PM
It is astonishing that the ******* wasn't done for manslaughter at the very least. It is not a drviing offence, it is a life-taking offence.

Pokster
08-24-2017, 01:17 PM
It is astonishing that the ******* wasn't done for manslaughter at the very least. It is not a drviing offence, it is a life-taking offence.

:sigh: he was charged with manslaughter but found not guilty

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Quite. So he wasn't done for it. Astonishing.

PSRB
08-24-2017, 01:21 PM

The jury clearly decided he wasn't guilty based on the evidence they saw :shrug:

Pokster
08-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Hard to prove that him not having a front brake constitutes an act that was likely to cause death

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Hard to prove that him not having a front brake constitutes an act that was likely to cause death

Driving a bicycle into someone at over 20k, knocking her onto the floor and killing her was likely to cause death though. You take your victims as you find them.

Pokster
08-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Driving a bicycle into someone at over 20k, knocking her onto the floor and killing her was likely to cause death though. You take your victims as you find them.

But as PSRB said, they looked at all evidence and found him nto guilty.... if he had come off his bike and died and she had lived would she have been done for Manslaughter as she crossed the road without looking??

Burney
08-24-2017, 01:31 PM

Well apart from someone being dead as a likely consequence, yes.

To my mind, what he did is no different to me going out driving at high speeds while knowing my car's brakes were fúcked and killing someone. Whether that's manslaughter or not I don't know, but it's certainly utterly reprehensible.

Burney
08-24-2017, 01:31 PM
But as PSRB said, they looked at all evidence and found him nto guilty.... if he had come off his bike and died and she had lived would she have been done for Manslaughter as she crossed the road without looking??

Crossing the road without looking is not a criminal offence

Pokster
08-24-2017, 01:37 PM

To my mind, what he did is no different to me going out driving at high speeds while knowing my car's brakes were fúcked and killing someone. Whether that's manslaughter or not I don't know, but it's certainly utterly reprehensible.

Which is why he is likely to get a couple of years in jail

Burney
08-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Which is why he is likely to get a couple of years in jail

Not enough for the ghastly little shīt.

SWv2
08-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Perhaps it was one of those cool new-fangled push bikes with no brakes.

Burney
08-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Perhaps it was one of those cool new-fangled push bikes with no brakes.

It was. They're illegal on the road and can only be sold for track use.

Peter
08-24-2017, 02:29 PM

The brakes were not ****ed. The bike was, as you say below, not for road use and not even equipped with suitable brakes.

Seems the equivalent of you driving a stock car down the A10 and mowing someone down...

Burney
08-24-2017, 02:52 PM
The brakes were not ****ed. The bike was, as you say below, not for road use and not even equipped with suitable brakes.

Seems the equivalent of you driving a stock car down the A10 and mowing someone down...

No. The brakes were non-existent, which is illegal and, according to crash experts and the judge, if he had had a front brake and used it, the woman would still be alive.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2017, 07:19 PM
He got away with it because he was a cyclist, pure and simple. If he had been an illegal trans-sexual immigrant they would have carried him out of the court-toom on their shoulders and given him the dead woman's two ears as a trophy.