PDA

View Full Version : So the daughter got her A-Level results today (all fine, thanks for asking) and it

Burney
08-17-2017, 09:48 AM
struck me that they way they do it now is unnecessarily cruel. First of all, you can find out from UCAS online if you've been accepted into the University of your choice at half six in the morning. That's fine if you've done well, of course, but if not, you've got to go into school to collect your results in front of all your happy mates and then spend hours ringing round the 'University' of South Rutland, etc trying to get a place.

Surely the whole thing can now be done online to avoid all this crap?

Sir C
08-17-2017, 09:50 AM
struck me that they way they do it now is unnecessarily cruel. First of all, you can find out from UCAS online if you've been accepted into the University of your choice at half six in the morning. That's fine if you've done well, of course, but if not, you've got to go into school to collect your results in front of all your happy mates and then spend hours ringing round the 'University' of South Rutland, etc trying to get a place.

Ah yes, I meant to ask. Please proffer salaams and congratulations as appropriate.

Good job it all went well otherwise it might have been a bit of a drama, eh? Drama! Ha!

Burney
08-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Ah yes, I meant to ask. Please proffer salaams and congratulations as appropriate.

Good job it all went well otherwise it might have been a bit of a drama, eh? Drama! Ha!

Very good. Yes, my daughter will be studying plays for three years. :-(

You'd almost think she's doing it deliberately to annoy me, wouldn't you?

Sir C
08-17-2017, 09:56 AM

I can't tell you how often the thought of you fewmin' away tickles me. :hehe:

Rich
08-17-2017, 09:58 AM

:hehe: Will the Bank Of Berni be financing these three years as well?

Burney
I can't tell you how often the thought of you fewmin' away tickles me. :hehe:

She talks about 'performance pieces' and 'spaces'. :-( It makes me want to disown her.

Burney
:hehe: Will the Bank Of Berni be financing these three years as well?

Natch. :-(

Ash
08-17-2017, 10:00 AM

It's ok, though. If she can't land a job as a google developer after that it'll be the patriarchy's fault so she might be in line for some compensation.

Norn Iron
08-17-2017, 10:01 AM

She should aim to become a newsreader imo. Or a Hollywood actress.
What does she want to be?

Pat Vegas
08-17-2017, 10:03 AM

The whole system is rubbish school/college let me down

I never learned to read or write so well But I can play a guitar just like ringing a bell.

Burney
It's ok, though. If she can't land a job as a google developer after that it'll be the patriarchy's fault so she might be in line for some compensation.

To be fair to her, she's reasonably level-headed about it. She tries to appease me by saying that industries like drama graduates, as they know how to present themselves, etc, etc.

Burney
She should aim to become a newsreader imo. Or a Hollywood actress.
What does she want to be?

Fùck alone knows. I'm not sure I trust people who know what they want to be at 18, though.

Sir C
08-17-2017, 10:04 AM
She talks about 'performance pieces' and 'spaces'. :-( It makes me want to disown her.

Be fair though, you spent three years reading novels :shrug: And now you quote Joyce, ffs.

SWv2
08-17-2017, 10:05 AM
I remember this day well, phoning the school from the pay phone in the Ship Bar in Warrenpoint to be told I had achieved 1 grade A, 1 grade C and 1 grade F. Realising then that I had not enough points or whatever for my chosen course and wondering how my future would pan out.

A few carefully placed phone calls on my behalf and I was into University quicker than you could say “what a fúcking waste of time that is going to be”.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Congratulation !

Rich
08-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Natch. :-(

Well I'd suggest she get to Hollywood pronto so that her dues can be paid.

Burney
08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
I remember this day well, phoning the school from the pay phone in the Ship Bar in Warrenpoint to be told I had achieved 1 grade A, 1 grade C and 1 grade F. Realising then that I had not enough points or whatever for my chosen course and wondering how my future would pan out.

A few carefully placed phone calls on my behalf and I was into University quicker than you could say “what a fúcking waste of time that is going to be”.

May I ask what the F was in, sw?

Pat Vegas
08-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Actually I was thinking. I get annoyed when I hear about A levels and people doing well,

But I actually have 3 B's myself.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Flyddiness

Ash
08-17-2017, 10:14 AM
To be fair to her, she's reasonably level-headed about it. She tries to appease me by saying that industries like drama graduates, as they know how to present themselves, etc, etc.

Possibly something in that. A colleague of mine did drama. She has excellent 'people skills', for want of a better description, and works well with everyone. Started as a receptionist and now heads a department. This may have more to do with her as an individual rather than her choice of degree but sometimes we have to act roles rather than be ourselves.

SWv2
08-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Physics.

Even then I knew it was not cool to be a spod.

Pokster
08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Physics.

There is no F in Physics

Burney
08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Physics.

You were mad even to be taking it imo. I got an E at it in GCSE on the grounds that it was a stupid subject and that I'd given up on it pretty much after my first lesson.

SWv2
08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
You were mad even to be taking it imo. I got an E at it in GCSE on the grounds that it was a stupid subject and that I'd given up on it pretty much after my first lesson.

I seem to recall thinking it was relatively “easy” at O Level and this was the basis of my course selection for A Level, as opposed to choosing courses for a defined career path. As you have said before, who the fúck really knows what they want to be at 16.

I cannot recall a course which would have helped me become a rampant stud muffin.

In the end in hindsight I appear to have chosen to be an Irish speaking economist who knew how to do whatever a physics person does.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Did Physics have electrolysis or was that a Chemistry topic ?

SWv2
08-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Dunno mate, I got an F.

Burney
08-17-2017, 10:33 AM

No idea. I remember some shít about rheostats (no idea) and mysterious circuit diagrams. All a load of bòllocks if you ask me.

What's physics ever done for anyone, eh? :shrug:

Ash
08-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Kinda both, but more Chemistry. Speaking as someone with A-levels in Physics and Chemistry. Not very high grades, unfortunately, but they are fùcking hard subjects, it was long ago when standards were higher :old: and tbf I wasn't very motivated. Why should I have been, when I was going to be a rock star? :-| :homer:

Ash
08-17-2017, 11:21 AM
No idea. I remember some shít about rheostats (no idea) and mysterious circuit diagrams. All a load of bòllocks if you ask me.

What's physics ever done for anyone, eh? :shrug:

Apart from just about every convenience and comfort of the modern world. As well you know.

Burney
08-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Apart from just about every convenience and comfort of the modern world. As well you know.

Yes, but without an arts graduate there to explain in comprehensible terms to an uncaring world what the fùck the badly-dressed virgin is banging on about, physicists would never get anywhere.

Ash
08-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Yes, but without an arts graduate there to explain in comprehensible terms to an uncaring world what the fùck the badly-dressed virgin is banging on about, physicists would never get anywhere.

People don't need televisions or high-speed travel explained to them. They do supposedly need know-nothing, bullshítting salesmen though, for some unfathomable reason. Arts grads can at least fill that void.

Billy Goat Sverige
08-17-2017, 11:45 AM

I didn't even bother collecting mine. Didn't bother going to my graduation either :hehe:

World's End Stella
08-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Physics.

Ahem, pardon me?

:hide:

SWv2
08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Ahem, pardon me?

:hide:

Presumably done in Canada so barely comparable to an Irish education.

World's End Stella
08-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Presumably done in Canada so barely comparable to an Irish education.

Yes, both the A level in physics and the BSc in nuclear physics.

But don't be too hard on the Irish educational system, while miles behind Canada (most of them are) I'm sure there are one or two countries they compare favourably with. Yemen, as an example.

SWv2
08-17-2017, 01:18 PM
Yes, both the A level in physics and the BSc in nuclear physics.

But don't be too hard on the Irish educational system, while miles behind Canada (most of them are) I'm sure there are one or two countries they compare favourably with. Yemen, as an example.

You're ****ting me?

Do you know how to make a bomb?

Burney
08-17-2017, 01:25 PM
You're ****ting me?

Big milk churns full of fertiliser, isn't it, sw?

SWv2
08-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Big milk churns full of fertiliser, isn't it, sw?

Nails also surely.

And a timer.

redgunamo
08-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Nails also surely.

And a timer.

I'm not sure it's really a laughing matter, SW. I was only over there for the fishing.

Ash
08-17-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure it's really a laughing matter, SW. I was only over there for the fishing.

And for hearty strolls in the Mourne Mountains, I hope.

redgunamo
08-17-2017, 02:01 PM
And for hearty strolls in the Mourne Mountains, I hope.

Yes, I heard about that. They're all mummy's boys nowadays, I'm sorry to say.

World's End Stella
08-17-2017, 03:46 PM
You're ****ting me?

Oh yes, absolutely. High energy stream of neutrons, fissionable material, get the critical mass to exactly one...

BOOM!

SWv2
08-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Yes, I heard about that. They're all mummy's boys nowadays, I'm sorry to say.

**** all soft about people from the Mournes pal.

redgunamo
08-17-2017, 04:10 PM
**** all soft about people from the Mournes pal.

British Army cadets, SW, down there for Summer training, the other week.

Apparently, it began to rain a bit and half the local rescue services had to be scrambled into action to get them out. One or two of the bairns even slipped on the wet grass and hurt their ankles :-|