PDA

View Full Version : It's a fraction over 2 weeks until the transfer window slams shut. So far we have

Rich
08-16-2017, 08:04 AM
seen no departures, a superb freebie in Kolisinac and an averagely priced striker who actually looks like very good value for money at this stage.

No outgoings - though it's clear that at least Perez will be off in the next few days. I would expect the same to be true of Jenkinson, Campbell, Debuchy and Gibbs (though we'll likely have to swallow some of their combined £200k a week until their deals expire - they are all going to need to take pay cuts).

I feel as though we have been left behind by City, United and Chelsea a bit - with sums of money several times greater than us being spent.

However, there is still scope for improvement. Bring in a defender/Lemar and tie Alexis, Ozil and Ox down to new mega-money deals and I'll give Arsene an 8 for this window.

SWv2
08-16-2017, 08:09 AM
seen no departures, a superb freebie in Kolisinac and an averagely priced striker who actually looks like very good value for money at this stage.

No outgoings - though it's clear that at least Perez will be off in the next few days. I would expect the same to be true of Jenkinson, Campbell, Debuchy and Gibbs (though we'll likely have to swallow some of their combined £200k a week until their deals expire - they are all going to need to take pay cuts).

I feel as though we have been left behind by City, United and Chelsea a bit - with sums of money several times greater than us being spent.

However, there is still scope for improvement. Bring in a defender/Lemar and tie Alexis, Ozil and Ox down to new mega-money deals and I'll give Arsene an 8 for this window.

Good man Dick

Some of the above is either incorrect or simply won't happen but I applaud your efforts.

SW

Rich
08-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Good man Dick

Some of the above is either incorrect or simply won't happen but I applaud your efforts.

SW

Would you care to highlight the bits that you refer to, SW?

World's End Stella
08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

This shouldn't surprise you, Rich. Anyone who believed the 'catalyst for change' nonsense hasn't been watching Wenger for the past 20 years. His fatal flaw is his combination of arrogance and stubbornness, there was simply no way he was going to look at players like Coquelin, Ox, Theo, Ramsey* and Wilshere and say to himself 'I got it wrong so I'm going to sell, take the proceeds and the cash the club holds and buy high quality replacements'. If he was capable of that, there would be no Wenger Out signs all over the Emirates and we would be challenging for the league more frequently.

The sensible conclusion at this point is that the incomings are done and that some of the excess you refer to you will be sold at a cut rate price and as you suggest, we will probably have to pay some of the wages.

And yes, City and ManU and others have left us behind, yet again. It's why we'll finish 4th or 5th and be out of the league by February, yet again.

* this may or may not have been for SW's benefit :-)

SWv2
08-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Would you care to highlight the bits that you refer to, SW?

Incorrect:

Lacazette is not an "averagely priced striker", he is actually a very expensive striker. Simply because others cost more does not lessen the cost of the other.

We have not fallen further behind Chelsea (as it currently stands). They have perhaps fallen behind others who have aggressively strengthened, City for example, but if anything I would suggest we have maybe improved whereas Chelsea have not.

We will not manage to release all the players you have mentioned.

Lemar will not happen.

We will not manage to tie down the 3 players you have mentioned to new deals, I would actually be surprised if we managed to get one of them to renew at this point never mind all.

SWv2
08-16-2017, 08:29 AM
This shouldn't surprise you, Rich. Anyone who believed the 'catalyst for change' nonsense hasn't been watching Wenger for the past 20 years. His fatal flaw is his combination of arrogance and stubbornness, there was simply no way he was going to look at players like Coquelin, Ox, Theo, Ramsey* and Wilshere and say to himself 'I got it wrong so I'm going to sell, take the proceeds and the cash the club holds and buy high quality replacements'. If he was capable of that, there would be no Wenger Out signs all over the Emirates and we would be challenging for the league more frequently.

The sensible conclusion at this point is that the incomings are done and that some of the excess you refer to you will be sold at a cut rate price and as you suggest, we will probably have to pay some of the wages.

And yes, City and ManU and others have left us behind, yet again. It's why we'll finish 4th or 5th and be out of the league by February, yet again.

Thank you.

I of course agree with most of what you have said above. I am quite heartened by our two summer signings and once the team settles down I expect both to flourish, however I expect the over-riding reflection on the summer (come Autumn / Winter) is that we simply did not do enough.

Again. As we both have remarked for years.

Pokster
08-16-2017, 08:38 AM

1 small point, we have sold a keeper for £10m ... it also looks like we won't sell 3 of our assets and would rather they leave for nothing in 12 months, Ozil and Sanchex I can partly understand, I can't understand keeping Ox when he isn't a first team regular and turning down the alleged £35m makes no sense to me (unless we do expect him to sign a contract.... which i don't)

Pokster
08-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Thank you.

I of course agree with most of what you have said above. I am quite heartened by our two summer signings and once the team settles down I expect both to flourish, however I expect the over-riding reflection on the summer (come Autumn / Winter) is that we simply did not do enough.

Again. As we both have remarked for years.

I agree, same old same old... couple of good signings that makes us hope, then that is it. We struggle to get average players off the books because we offered them far too much money before, so nobody can afford the salary they want. I expect we will either sell them for a pittance of some will go on loan and never return

Rich
08-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Incorrect:

Lacazette is not an "averagely priced striker", he is actually a very expensive striker. Simply because others cost more does not lessen the cost of the other.

We have not fallen further behind Chelsea (as it currently stands). They have perhaps fallen behind others who have aggressively strengthened, City for example, but if anything I would suggest we have maybe improved whereas Chelsea have not.

Lemar will not happen.

We will not manage to tie down the 3 players you have mentioned to new deals, I would actually be surprised if we managed to get one of them to renew at this point never mind all.

Well I shall be most disappointed if we are not able to offload the deadwood that I have referenced. There is simply no point in us paying their wages since they are not remotely close to the first team squad. The only conceivable benefit is that we play them in the Europa League group stages when we play teams with butchers, dog-walkers and postmen in the starting XI. Theo can also be ****ed from a window of great height if we sign Lemar.

Also - I cannot fathom why Alexis and Ozil would turn down £300k a week, or Ox turn down £150k.

Peter
08-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Incorrect:

Lemar will not happen.

Also, we wont be signing a defender. I cant recall us being seriously linked with one and we don't need one.

The idea that we are falling behind City, Chelsea and United in terms of spending is quite funny. We have never competed with any of them on spending. Even when we were just competing with United we didn't match their spending and the idea of competing with City now is absurd. We wont even compete with Everton if they continue their current approach.

Not a problem, just the reality of the business model.

Rich
08-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Also, we wont be signing a defender. I cant recall us being seriously linked with one and we don't need one.

The idea that we are falling behind City, Chelsea and United in terms of spending is quite funny. We have never competed with any of them on spending. Even when we were just competing with United we didn't match their spending and the idea of competing with City now is absurd. We wont even compete with Everton if they continue their current approach.

F*ck the business model, P. Clubs sell to the highest bidder. If we aren't willing to spend the money we are reliant on castoffs that none of the top clubs want.

Pokster
08-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Well I shall be most disappointed if we are not able to offload the deadwood that I have referenced. There is simply no point in us paying their wages since they are not remotely close to the first team squad. The only conceivable benefit is that we play them in the Europa League group stages when we play teams with butchers, dog-walkers and postmen in the starting XI. Theo can also be ****ed from a window of great height if we sign Lemar.

Also - I cannot fathom why Alexis and Ozil would turn down £300k a week, or Ox turn down £150k.

Sanchez leaves for nothing next summer, no tfr fee so he gets a stupid signing on fee.... same for Ozil. Ox, allegedly, hasn't been offered £150k a week, that is what he wants but we won't pay it.... again allegedly, Chelsea will.

Rich
08-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Sanchez leaves for nothing next summer, no tfr fee so he gets a stupid signing on fee.... same for Ozil. Ox, allegedly, hasn't been offered £150k a week, that is what he wants but we won't pay it.... again allegedly, Chelsea will.

Not sure Ozil will command a huge signing on fee unless he goes to China. We can pay Sanchez a signing on fee for this deal, pay him £300k a week for the season and have a £60million release clause (with 10% payable to the player himself) should a club choose to meet it.

Call me Dick Law.

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:04 AM

True, he isn't going to change. We knew that. Moving to a back three must have been hard enough for him.

I think the one key area where we are light is midfield, where we pretty much know we are going to struggle again for periods of the season as the usual suspects struggle for fitness and form.

The players you all mention will mostly end up going on loan for a season. We are not going to be able to sell all of them/any of them because they are either ****, constantly injured or hugely overpaid- sometimes all three.

The squad is a bit better than it was. Can’t really ask for much more than that. The nagging problem is that we kind of know the problem isn’t just about the players. We know how, why and more or less when our season is going to stagnate/blow up and we know we will finish between 4th and 7th. I doubt that activity in the transfer market in the next two weeks is going to make any real difference to that.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:07 AM

He's improved the forward division (even if Alexis leaves, imo) and He has improved the backs. So if they all perform, then our midfield is the best in the league #champions

Pokster
08-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Not sure Ozil will command a huge signing on fee unless he goes to China. We can pay Sanchez a signing on fee for this deal, pay him £300k a week for the season and have a £60million release clause (with 10% payable to the player himself) should a club choose to meet it.

Call me Dick Law.

The only ever so slightly small problem with that cunning plan is...... he has made no noises that he has the slightest intention of staying.

Offer him what he wants and then the wages other players want have to go up. You can't just **** the business model

Rich
08-16-2017, 09:09 AM
True, he isn't going to change. We knew that. Moving to a back three must have been hard enough for him.

I think the one key area where we are light is midfield, where we pretty much know we are going to struggle again for periods of the season as the usual suspects struggle for fitness and form.

The players you all mention will mostly end up going on loan for a season. We are not going to be able to sell all of them/any of them because they are either ****, constantly injured or hugely overpaid- sometimes all three.

The squad is a bit better than it was. Can’t really ask for much more than that. The nagging problem is that we kind of know the problem isn’t just about the players. We know how, why and more or less when our season is going to stagnate/blow up and we know we will finish between 4th and 7th. I doubt that activity in the transfer market in the next two weeks is going to make any real difference to that.

I'm fine with finishing between 4th and 7th with the occasional cup run. It's the failure to challenge for any sustained period that is frustrating. I think if Arsene bought in 2/3 £50million players in the next two weeks, we'd be able to give it a good shot. Instead we will end up with a front three of Rhys Nelson, Giroud and Theo at some stage this season. Inspiring stuff.

Central midfield seems OK - We have Ramsey and Xhaka, we have Wilshere who played for the yoofs the other day. We have Elneney and Coqulein. We have Maitland Niles. We have Santi Cazorla who is going on cross trainers again. So this area is positive.

Pokster
08-16-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm fine with finishing between 4th and 7th with the occasional cup run. It's the failure to challenge for any sustained period that is frustrating. I think if Arsene bought in 2/3 £50million players in the next two weeks, we'd be able to give it a good shot. Instead we will end up with a front three of Rhys Nelson, Giroud and Theo at some stage this season. Inspiring stuff.

Central midfield seems OK - We have Ramsey and Xhaka, we have Wilshere who played for the yoofs the other day. We have Elneney and Coqulein. We have Maitland Niles. We have Santi Cazorla who is going on cross trainers again. So this area is positive.

I'm confused now... you are happy to finish between 4th and 7th but think he should spend £100m in the next 2 weeks???

Rich
08-16-2017, 09:13 AM
I'm confused now... you are happy to finish between 4th and 7th but think he should spend £100m in the next 2 weeks???

I would like him to spend in order to formulate a challenge. Finish 4th but only a few points off top, having given it a really good go until April/May and I think most fans would be happy. One way to achieve this scenario would be to purchase some new talent (for which we must pay the going rate).

Capitulate to 8th in Feb and finish the season well to claim 5th on the final day and they will not.

Burney
08-16-2017, 09:21 AM

If I could change one thing about modern football, it would be to get rid of transfer windows. They are an utter misery that could almost have been designed to encourage a very particular type of ****ery among fans and pundits.

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Wilshere is a complete and utter waste of space. If he does end up hobbling on to the pitch for us at some stage this season he will utter dog****. Even Arsene seems to have more of less given up with him. I watched him a few times last season for Bournemouth and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. He plays like he is 37.

Cazorla is obviously a wonderful player but the chances of him coming back and staying fit look very, very remote. If he did, midfield would be sorted.

Ramsey is just Ramsey- frustrating, sometimes menacingly idiotic, sometimes surprisingly good. But never reliable, and an injury is always just around the corner.

Elneny and Coquelin are quite reliable but limited. Neither is an ideal partner for Xhaka.

We know how all of this ends.

Ash
08-16-2017, 09:26 AM
If I could change one thing about modern football, it would be to get rid of transfer windows. They are an utter misery that could almost have been designed to encourage a very particular type of ****ery among fans and pundits.

Though the alternative would likely be the same cùntery all year round. And imagine being a few games from the title in early April and Man City come steaming in with billion pound bids to take, or at least destabilise, your best players.

Rich
08-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Wilshere is a complete and utter waste of space. If he does end up hobbling on to the pitch for us at some stage this season he will utter dog****. Even Arsene seems to have more of less given up with him. I watched him a few times last season for Bournemouth and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. He plays like he is 37.

Cazorla is obviously a wonderful player but the chances of him coming back and staying fit look very, very remote. If he did, midfield would be sorted.

Ramsey is just Ramsey- frustrating, sometimes menacingly idiotic, sometimes surprisingly good. But never reliable, and an injury is always just around the corner.

Elneny and Coquelin are quite reliable but limited. Neither is an ideal partner for Xhaka.

Wilshere was Bournemouth's most creative midfielder last year. He made so many goals for the team and hit the woodwork 6 times (more than any midfielder in the league). He suffered when Howe went 4-4-2 as he was usually the luxury player within a central midfield 3. If he can stay fit then he's a sublime addition to the squad and will indeed feel like a new signing.

Agree on your other points. We should just give Nice £36million for Seri and be done with it. Though he said that he struggles to train in countries that are cold.

Billy Goat Sverige
08-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Actually the business model allows us to spend £100m (and we'd still turn a profit) with the current tv deals. If we don't spend our full budget this summer it will be because Arsene a) couldn't get his targets and refuses to look elsewhere (see Lemar) or b) he thinks Elneny and Coquelin are good enough and Ramsey won't continue to be an injury prone ********.

It's probably a little bit of "a" and a lot of "b".

SWv2
I would like him to spend in order to formulate a challenge. Finish 4th but only a few points off top, having given it a really good go until April/May and I think most fans would be happy. One way to achieve this scenario would be to purchase some new talent (for which we must pay the going rate).

Capitulate to 8th in Feb and finish the season well to claim 5th on the final day and they will not.

The fortune to spend to which you refer does exist having already spent 50m of AL and having had bids of 40m and allegedly a lot more turned down by Monaco for Lemar and Mbappe. Okay, I know the Mbappe one is utter nonsense but let’s just play along.

As it stands, if the media are to be believed and to be fair it sounds plausible, he is now being somewhat restricted by having to offload players before buying, players who by decisions he has made are now turning out to be very difficult to offload. Players who perhaps would be easier to offload, and of course supporters are split on whether they should be sold or not, he is apparently refusing to sell.

This of course could yet turn very sour in events which would make last season seems like a kids party. Another failure to qualify for CL football and the resultant financial impact, then coupled with > 100m of assets walking away from the club for nothing in summer 2018 could see future spending even further restricted.

Burney

I'm going to demand some told-you-so points on Wilshere. I have been demanding he be offloaded somewhere further down the league where he'd be better suited for years.

Pat Vegas
08-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Crap transfer window imo, the deadline day should be ignored and we should be ready to go for the start of the season. as usual we looked very shaky in our first game but some how to win.

We have a load of messy contract situations that are causing disruptions to the team.
and a bunch of players we can't get rid of as nobody wants em.

and no matter what you think Rich. Sanchez will go.

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Wilshere was Bournemouth's most creative midfielder last year. He made so many goals for the team and hit the woodwork 6 times (more than any midfielder in the league). He suffered when Howe went 4-4-2 as he was usually the luxury player within a central midfield 3. If he can stay fit then he's a sublime addition to the squad and will indeed feel like a new signing.

Agree on your other points. We should just give Nice £36million for Seri and be done with it. Though he said that he struggles to train in countries that are cold.

I feel bad for Jack but I just don't think that player he was is still in there. There was one spark a couple of years ago. He came on as a sub late in the season, after a long lay off, and looked sharp, with that little change of pace back in his game. Briefly I thought there was hope.

Would love to see him back and firing but it just isn’t going to happen.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:35 AM

No, everybody loves talking about money nowadays. Especially other people's money.

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Actually the business model allows us to spend £100m (and we'd still turn a profit) with the current tv deals. If we don't spend our full budget this summer it will be because Arsene a) couldn't get his targets and refuses to look elsewhere (see Lemar) or b) he thinks Elneny and Coquelin are good enough and Ramsey won't continue to be an injury prone ********.

It's probably a little bit of "a" and a lot of "b".

Oh, I didn’t mean we couldn’t have spent more. I am sure we could. I just meant that our model is never going to allow us to compete with the likes of City and United in spending 150 million plus every summer.

It isn’t the aim of the club to do so. Its crazy spending.

Burney
08-16-2017, 09:37 AM
I feel bad for Jack but I just don't think that player he was is still in there. There was one spark a couple of years ago. He came on as a sub late in the season, after a long lay off, and looked sharp, with that little change of pace back in his game. Briefly I thought there was hope.

Would love to see him back and firing but it just isn’t going to happen.

The 'player he was' was an occasional contributor who had one decent game in three and then got himself injured, though. :shrug:

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:38 AM
I'm going to demand some told-you-so points on Wilshere. I have been demanding he be offloaded somewhere further down the league where he'd be better suited for years.

Its tricky because he was such a good player. Like Diaby, you always have the hope he will rediscover it.

I think Arsene gave up last season. We really could have used him here and he didn’t even see it as an option, or even insert a recall into the loan. Pretty clear thumbs down.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Crap transfer window imo, the deadline day should be ignored and we should be ready to go for the start of the season. as usual we looked very shaky in our first game but some how to win.

We have a load of messy contract situations that are causing disruptions to the team.
and a bunch of players we can't get rid of as nobody wants em.

and no matter what you think Rich. Sanchez will go.

Yes, apparently, the Premier League is going to vote on whether to end its Summer transfer window before the season starts. Even if they decide to do that, it won't stop foreign clubs buying our players right up until the end of August, will it :-\

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:41 AM
The 'player he was' was an occasional contributor who had one decent game in three and then got himself injured, though. :shrug:

Wilshere's different though, a rather exceptional case as he's the kind of central midfielder England simply doesn't produce. Now we know why, I guess :-\

Pat Vegas
08-16-2017, 09:43 AM

:nod: he did the odd fancy pass and stuck his tongue out and usually ended up on the floor.

Burney
08-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Its tricky because he was such a good player. Like Diaby, you always have the hope he will rediscover it.

I think Arsene gave up last season. We really could have used him here and he didn’t even see it as an option, or even insert a recall into the loan. Pretty clear thumbs down.

I've always disliked him because he can't keep his tongue in his mouth. I feel that this prejudice has been vindicated.

Pokster
:nod: he did the odd fancy pass and stuck his tongue out and usually ended up on the floor.

A bit like your mum

SWv2
No, everybody loves talking about money nowadays. Especially other people's money.

:nod:

My neighbour appears to have bought a new Mercedes Benz in the last week, it was the first thing my wife said to me last evening apparently under the bizarre impression that a) I had noticed and b) I actually cared.

She then asked me how I thought he could afford it.

How the fúck would I know. Hadn't even got my fúcking jacket off.

redgunamo

Oh, you just don't like him because he's English.

SWv2
08-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Oh, you just don't like him because he's English.

Pat Vegas is Jorge?

Pokster
08-16-2017, 09:46 AM

My neighbour appears to have bought a new Mercedes Benz in the last week, it was the first thing my wife said to me last evening apparently under the bizarre impression that a) I had noticed and b) I actually cared.

So basically your mrs is calling you a failure and questioning how the neighbour (she secretly fancies) can afford one, but the loser of the bloke she is with would struggle to aford Peter's old car

Burney
08-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Wilshere's different though, a rather exceptional case as he's the kind of central midfielder England simply doesn't produce. Now we know why, I guess :-\

I appreciate that, but that still made him a pale imitation of the type of player we could quite easily purchase from other countries. His being English never endeared him to me at all - quite the reverse, if anything, since he had a full set of all the negative English footballing traits of indiscipline, stupidity and a tendency to think 'putting your foot in' was a virtue even when it meant you kept getting crocked.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:48 AM

That's the world we live in, I'm afraid; mean-spirited, suspicious and covetous. It's almost as if everyone's completely forgotten the Tenth Commandment

SWv2
08-16-2017, 09:49 AM
So basically your mrs is calling you a failure and questioning how the neighbour (she secretly fancies) can afford one, but the loser of the bloke she is with would struggle to aford Peter's old car

Essentially I think so.

Apart from the bit about Peter's Rover. Good lord.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:52 AM
I appreciate that, but that still made him a pale imitation of the type of player we could quite easily purchase from other countries. His being English never endeared him to me at all - quite the reverse, if anything, since he had a full set of all the negative English footballing traits of indiscipline, stupidity and a tendency to think 'putting your foot in' was a virtue even when it meant you kept getting crocked.

That's a Wenger issue; a British manager would've binned young Jackie Boy ages ago. Either that or he'd have refused to pick him until he had turned himself into a David Batty or a Billy Bremner. Maybe even a Dennis Wise.

Peter
08-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Yeah, but he was a kid then. Consistency comes with experience.

He has been pretty consistent in recent years;)

Burney
08-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Essentially I think so.

Apart from the bit about Peter's Rover. Good lord.

I wonder where Peter's Rover is these days? I assume it was scrapped due to being terrible?

What is he driving now? Probably one of those French jobs with rubber mats taped to the sides, I reckon.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Pat Vegas is Jorge?

:hehe: Oh, it's a common trait, maybe not surprisingly.

Ash
08-16-2017, 10:00 AM
That's the world we live in, I'm afraid; mean-spirited, suspicious and covetous. It's almost as if everyone's completely forgotten the Tenth Commandment

Ninth has taken a bit of a hammering too. And don't start me on the sixth.

SWv2
08-16-2017, 10:01 AM
I wonder where Peter's Rover is these days? I assume it was scrapped due to being terrible?

What is he driving now? Probably one of those French jobs with rubber mats taped to the sides, I reckon.

I would imagine it is simply being driven by another gloved sexual predator.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but he was a kid then. Consistency comes with experience.

He has been pretty consistent in recent years;)

I don't really hate him. I think my biggest problem with him (apart from the tongue thing) was the depressing predictability of his career arc. Knowing he'd never realise his potential was fúcking depressing.

Mind you, if he'd been really successful, City would have bought him off us by now, so :shrug:

Billy Goat Sverige
08-16-2017, 10:03 AM

I was driving out of my local supermarket car park a few weeks back and the car in front was a Rover 75! Couldn't believe it. Immediately thought of Peter as well :hehe:

Ash
08-16-2017, 10:03 AM

This is one of the advantages of living in a flat in London. One hardly know who the neighbours are, let alone who drives which car parked somewhere on the street outside.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Ninth has taken a bit of a hammering too. And don't start me on the sixth.

To be fair, the last two did always feel a bit like filler.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:07 AM
I was driving out of my local supermarket car park a few weeks back and the car in front was a Rover 75! Couldn't believe it. Immediately thought of Peter as well :hehe:

In Sweden? :hehe: I imagine the owner makes the most use of it he can, since there's fúck all chance of the bloody thing starting in winter.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 10:08 AM
I don't really hate him. I think my biggest problem with him (apart from the tongue thing) was the depressing predictability of his career arc. Knowing he'd never realise his potential was fúcking depressing.

Mind you, if he'd been really successful, City would have bought him off us by now, so :shrug:

Of course, part of the idea was that he is one of our own, as they say, so no fear of him joining any other English club, especially a rival one.

I've always said that he's really only an English player by passport though; no need for us to even touch him if he were foreign, as there's more and better out there available to us.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 10:09 AM
This is one of the advantages of living in a flat in London. One hardly know who the neighbours are, let alone who drives which car parked somewhere on the street outside.

SW's point, I think, is that the wives always know.

Tony C
08-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Just under 2 weeks to Mayweather 49 and 1 :cloud9: #TeamConor

Peter
08-16-2017, 10:29 AM

It was scrapped for the princely sum of £150.

I now drive a Vauxhall Vectra that I bought two years ago for 500 quid. Its wonderful

Peter
08-16-2017, 10:30 AM

It was a wonderful car to drive. So smooth, so comfortable. Sooooo ****ing slow and heavy but that became part of its charm.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:34 AM
It was scrapped for the princely sum of £150.

I now drive a Vauxhall Vectra that I bought two years ago for 500 quid. Its wonderful

A Vectra? :-( That's a car that makes my Passat look like a model of edgy, characterful driving.

I remember driving a ridiculously over-specced Vectra as a temporary company car years ago. It was very comfortable inside, but incredibly heavy and rather confusing to drive, since there was a five second delay between pressing the accelerator and anything actually happening.

Ash
08-16-2017, 10:43 AM
A Vectra? :-( That's a car that makes my Passat look like a model of edgy, characterful driving.

I remember driving a ridiculously over-specced Vectra as a temporary company car years ago. It was very comfortable inside, but incredibly heavy and rather confusing to drive, since there was a five second delay between pressing the accelerator and anything actually happening.

I don't get heavy cars at all, unless you're intending to crash into things. Voomy engine, light car imo.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:46 AM
I don't get heavy cars at all, unless you're intending to crash into things. Voomy engine, light car imo.

Since Sir C isn't here to mock me, I shall admit that I rather regret getting my Passat. It's immensely comfortable, roomy, reliable and well-built, but it is quite the most boring thing to drive on earth for the simple reason that it barely feels like I'm driving it at all. I honestly sometimes feel I could doze off and it would take over without the slightest problem.

Peter
08-16-2017, 10:55 AM

This is pretty low spec and is actually not comfortable at all. Seat is as hard as rock.

But its drives perfectly, everything works, its quick enough for what I need and it has been completely reliable.

Cant argue with that for 500 quid.

Burney
08-16-2017, 10:59 AM
This is pretty low spec and is actually not comfortable at all. Seat is as hard as rock.

But its drives perfectly, everything works, its quick enough for what I need and it has been completely reliable.

Cant argue with that for 500 quid.

No, absolutely. I got this when I was in a job that required loads of motorway driving. Having acquired it, I almost immediately got a new job that requires very little. Ho-hum.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-16-2017, 11:52 AM
What happened to the £100 million war chest? If we sell Ox, which looks like we might do, the net outlay in the windown will be about £8 million pounds, and in fact we will probably be in the black as at least one more player will go.

Strange way to start a revolution.

SWv2
08-16-2017, 12:32 PM
What happened to the £100 million war chest? If we sell Ox, which looks like we might do, the net outlay in the windown will be about £8 million pounds, and in fact we will probably be in the black as at least one more player will go.

Strange way to start a revolution.

There was never going to be a revolution Maurice, this is Wenger we are talking about after all.

The catalyst for change nonsense was PR spin at a difficult time for the club, now forgotten, moved on from. For now.

Some of us will never forget.

#Wenger out

Peter
08-16-2017, 12:43 PM
There was never going to be a revolution Maurice, this is Wenger we are talking about after all.

The catalyst for change nonsense was PR spin at a difficult time for the club, now forgotten, moved on from. For now.

Some of us will never forget.

#Wenger out

Of course. As soon as he signed the new deal we knew we were guaranteed at least two more years of exactly the same.

Personally, I think he was ****ing mad signing up. Given the strength around us in the Premier League, the refusal of his two star players to sign up again and the amount of turnover required in the squad the chances of achieving anything better than a distant 4th in the next two years are pretty slim. The chances of achieving less than that are potentially quite high.

I suppose it suggests he isn’t bothered about his own legacy and there is something admirable about that. Damn silly, all the same.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-16-2017, 12:51 PM
We will win away at Stoke and Liverpool, thus fostering belief in our title challenge. Wenger will appear on telly and, with a little smug smirk, say something enigmatic like, "Who wants to win the league, will need to finish above Arsenal."

Then we'll see what happens. As usual, we're not far short but we may be short unless we are lucky with injuries and players play as well as they can.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Of course. As soon as he signed the new deal we knew we were guaranteed at least two more years of exactly the same.

Personally, I think he was ****ing mad signing up. Given the strength around us in the Premier League, the refusal of his two star players to sign up again and the amount of turnover required in the squad the chances of achieving anything better than a distant 4th in the next two years are pretty slim. The chances of achieving less than that are potentially quite high.

I suppose it suggests he isn’t bothered about his own legacy and there is something admirable about that. Damn silly, all the same.

It's all a bit defeatist, just the same though. Manchester City are favourites for the title, so I gather, and they've got John Stones marshalling their defence :shrug:

Burney
08-16-2017, 01:24 PM
It's all a bit defeatist, just the same though. Manchester City are favourites for the title, so I gather, and they've got John Stones marshalling their defence :shrug:

Pep's drug regime will have had a chance to bed in by now, I reckon. They'll all be running 40 miles a game.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Pep's drug regime will have had a chance to bed in by now, I reckon. They'll all be running 40 miles a game.

True. They may win the league if they get to play Ipswich Town every week.

Peter
08-16-2017, 01:47 PM

I thought United were favourites?

We went unbeaten for a whole season with Kolo at centre back.

I don't think its defeatist, just an acceptance of the Wenger reality. Arguably more than any other club in history, we know what to expect.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 01:52 PM

I don't think its defeatist, just an acceptance of the Wenger reality. Arguably more than any other club in history, we know what to expect.

Fair enough, but it is defeatist at least in the sense that it's decidedly not .. whatever the opposite of defeatist is.

We're supposed to be supporters, for heaven's sake!

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 01:53 PM
True. They may win the league if they get to play Ipswich Town every week.

Did I mean Ipswich Town, or Brighton & Hove Albion :homer:

Peter
08-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Fair enough, but it is defeatist at least in the sense that it's decidedly not .. whatever the opposite of defeatist is.

We're supposed to be supporters, for heaven's sake!

Of course. Just as any good film gets the viewer engaged and rooting for the main character. No matter how good the film, the viewer will find it far harder to root for anyone when watching it for a second, third, fourth time. Still a good film, still worth watching, but your perspective is irrevocably changed by knowing the outcome.

Same with Wenger's Arsenal. We're watching the same film and we know how it ends. It would take a strange form of amnesia to be surprised when we, for example, lose at Chelsea even if they are in the bottom three at the time; run out of midfielders before Christmas; start the season without any centre backs; look good for a three month spell then implode; finish 4th/5th/6th with between 70 and 75 points.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 02:26 PM
Of course. Just as any good film gets the viewer engaged and rooting for the main character. No matter how good the film, the viewer will find it far harder to root for anyone when watching it for a second, third, fourth time. Still a good film, still worth watching, but your perspective is irrevocably changed by knowing the outcome.

Same with Wenger's Arsenal. We're watching the same film and we know how it ends. It would take a strange form of amnesia to be surprised when we, for example, lose at Chelsea even if they are in the bottom three at the time; run out of midfielders before Christmas; start the season without any centre backs; look good for a three month spell then implode; finish 4th/5th/6th with between 70 and 75 points.

On the contrary, those are the very things that make us so exciting. It's not only supposed to be about the outcome of the seasons, or even winning the title; each of our games are great to watch in their own right.

Movie content: It's not what it's about, it's how it's about it, as the man said. To me, this explains that the movie itself is the thing, rather than merely its conclusion.

Peter
08-16-2017, 02:34 PM
On the contrary, those are the very things that make us so exciting. It's not only supposed to be about the outcome of the seasons, or even winning the title; each of our games are great to watch in their own right.

Movie content: It's not what it's about, it's how it's about it, as the man said. To me, this explains that the movie itself is the thing, rather than merely its conclusion.

I think it is quite a push to say that all the games are great to watch. I doubt many enjoying the Bayern games, or the game at Palace.

I am not saying one cant enjoy the games but we are largely denied the thrill of dreaming about the overall outcome. One can focus on precisely how we fail and succeed but these tend to be pretty predictable as well.

In other words, Wenger Out.

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Bayern Munich are great entertainment and Crystal Palace played really well on the day :shrug:

I think it is quite a push to say that all the games are great to watch. I doubt many enjoying the Bayern games, or the game at Palace.

I am not saying one cant enjoy the games but we are largely denied the thrill of dreaming about the overall outcome. One can focus on precisely how we fail and succeed but these tend to be pretty predictable as well.

World's End Stella
08-16-2017, 02:42 PM

And we made a CL final with the rock solid back four of Eboue Kolo Senderos and Flamini. :-)

Funny ole game innit?

World's End Stella
08-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Yes, it's the lack of justifiable hope that makes those of us who want Wenger to go, want Wenger to go.

Hope is a wonderful thing. I look forward to it's return.

In about two years. :-(

Peter
08-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Bayern Munich are great entertainment and Crystal Palace played really well on the day :shrug:

I thought we were supposed to be supporters for Christ's sake? :)

Peter
08-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Yes, it's the lack of justifiable hope that makes those of us who want Wenger to go, want Wenger to go.

Hope is a wonderful thing. I like forward to it's return.

In about two years. :-(

It would be dangerous to start assuming that he will leave at the end of this contract. It's best not to think about it.

World's End Stella
08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
It would be dangerous to start assuming that he will leave at the end of this contract. It's best not to think about it.

Cheers, now that you've mentioned it there's no chance of me thinking about it. :rolleyes:

Peter
08-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Cheers, now that you've mentioned it there's no chance of me thinking about it. :rolleyes:

Just being realistic. It needed saying ;)

redgunamo
08-16-2017, 03:08 PM
I thought we were supposed to be supporters for Christ's sake? :)

That's right. Arsenal supporters. So whats the point of trying to be like Bayern, if one cannot appreciate .. well, Bayern?

Peter
08-16-2017, 03:18 PM
That's right. Arsenal supporters. So whats the point of trying to be like Bayern, if one cannot appreciate .. well, Bayern?

Its more that Bayern want to be like us and are better at it than we are.

Or its neither of those things, or both. In any case, its still football and therefore good, even when it is bad.

Or something equally silly.

eastgermanautos
08-16-2017, 03:30 PM
1 small point, we have sold a keeper for £10m ... it also looks like we won't sell 3 of our assets and would rather they leave for nothing in 12 months, Ozil and Sanchex I can partly understand, I can't understand keeping Ox when he isn't a first team regular and turning down the alleged £35m makes no sense to me (unless we do expect him to sign a contract.... which i don't)

You just can't be selling Ox to Chelsea. Looks very very bad, imo.

eastgermanautos
08-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Its more that Bayern want to be like us and are better at it than we are.

Or its neither of those things, or both. In any case, its still football and therefore good, even when it is bad.

Or something equally silly.

:hehe: .

SWv2
08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
You just can't be selling Ox to Chelsea. Looks very very bad, imo.

With respect, bóllocks.

eastgermanautos
08-16-2017, 03:58 PM
With respect, bóllocks.

Well I am a bullocks-befriending bard. Oh Irishman. :-D