PDA

View Full Version : June 2015: Parliament votes for EU referendum

Monty92
08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
June 2016: Leave wins referendum

June 2017: Public given chance to vote for pro-leave or pro-remain parties at General Election. Pro-leave parties win 84% of the vote share

August 2017: Opinion polls show 70% of people want UK to honour the referendum result, regardless of which way they voted

And yet absolute ****s like this STILL claim there's no mandate for leaving. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6194680-rees-mogg-vs-chapman

Peter
08-11-2017, 09:59 AM

June 2017: Public given chance to vote for pro-leave or pro-remain parties at General Election. Pro-leave parties win 84% of the vote share

August 2017: Opinion polls show 70% of people want UK to honour the referendum result, regardless of which way they voted

And yet absolute ****s like this STILL claim there's no mandate for leaving. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I'm hearing we are likely to get a chance to vote on everything again in October. Find that pretty hard to believe but I am being assured by someone I trust.

Monty92
08-11-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm hearing we are likely to get a chance to vote on everything again in October. Find that pretty hard to believe but I am being assured by someone I trust.

Really? And what happens between now and then to make that conceivable?

Burney
08-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Does this Chapman cvnt realise what an deranged bedwetter he sounds like?

Ash
08-11-2017, 12:15 PM

I heard there is an attempt to set up a new party to specifically reverse the referendum result. The name? Democratic Party. :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
08-11-2017, 12:37 PM
I heard there is an attempt to set up a new party to specifically reverse the referendum result. The name? Democratic Party. :hehe:
yep - as much as I would agree with the efforts to reverse Brexit/stop it* happening a little bit of self awareness would not go amiss there would it. Useless ****

*and I would count myself among the 70 per cent who want the referendum honoured

Peter
08-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Really? And what happens between now and then to make that conceivable?

Well, the PM dissolving parliament and telling the Queen would be the obvious first step. If that doesn't happen within the next month then October is out. If October is out then this year is probably out and we are into April/May.

Certainly if it is going to happen the Conservatives would want a short campaign. I would be stunned if they went in again with May in charge but that is the rumour.

Peter
08-11-2017, 12:57 PM
yep - as much as I would agree with the efforts to reverse Brexit/stop it* happening a little bit of self awareness would not go amiss there would it. Useless ****

*and I would count myself among the 70 per cent who want the referendum honoured

I don't particularly want it honoured but I believe it needs to be. I also don't want to have to deal with the fall out of it being ignored.

Luis Anaconda
08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
I don't particularly want it honoured but I believe it needs to be. I also don't want to have to deal with the fall out of it being ignored.

Yes "want" is possibly the wrong word. Though, while I would understand why the you can't just have referendums willy-nilly, it's very interesting that people like Monty who evoke the whole "it's the will of the people" meme, are absolutely terrified that that the will of people in August 2017 might be sufficiently different to that of June 2016, to reverse the decision. Funny old game democracy

Peter
08-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Yes "want" is possibly the wrong word. Though, while I would understand why the you can't just have referendums willy-nilly, it's very interesting that people like Monty who evoke the whole "it's the will of the people" meme, are absolutely terrified that that the will of people in August 2017 might be sufficiently different to that of June 2016, to reverse the decision. Funny old game democracy

Well it was a very tight decision in the first place. It may well go the other way if we did it again (I suspect not, but you never know).

On balance, they waited ****ing years for a vote and they won it, albeit narrowly. Kind of has to happen now if only to honour the process.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
08-11-2017, 01:20 PM

be an absolute catastrophe. The leavers were only having a laugh anyway. Even Berni accepts we can't really leave.

Monty92
08-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxx

QUOTE=Luis Anaconda;4173124]Yes "want" is possibly the wrong word. Though, while I would understand why the you can't just have referendums willy-nilly, it's very interesting that people like Monty who evoke the whole "it's the will of the people" meme, are absolutely terrified that that the will of people in August 2017 might be sufficiently different to that of June 2016, to reverse the decision. Funny old game democracy[/QUOTE]

Monty92
08-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Were they having a laugh at the General Election too, when 84% of them voted for pro-leave parties?

be an absolute catastrophe. The leavers were only having a laugh anyway. Even Berni accepts we can't really leave.

Peter
08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Were they having a laugh at the General Election too, when 84% of them voted for pro-leave parties?

84% of them voted for the two main parties, just as they have in every election in british history. That tells you precisely nothing, particularly as neither party was pro-leave at the previous election or the referendum itself.

They both undertook to honour the referendum- that is all. If you think the option of voting for the hopelessly disgraced Lib Dems was a realistic one for a remain voter you really don't understand how british politics works.

Monty92
08-11-2017, 01:59 PM
"That is all" :hehe:

Yeah, just a tiny manifesto pledge. Should have been in the small print, really.

84% of them voted for the two main parties, just as they have in every election in british history. That tells you precisely nothing, particularly as neither party was pro-leave at the previous election or the referendum itself.

They both undertook to honour the referendum- that is all. If you think the option of voting for the hopelessly disgraced Lib Dems was a realistic one for a remain voter you really don't understand how british politics works.

Peter
08-11-2017, 02:39 PM
"That is all" :hehe:

Yeah, just a tiny manifesto pledge. Should have been in the small print, really.

There is a difference between 'pro-leave' and honouring the referendum. Can you not see that?

If they were both pro-leave why would there be any problem with the tiny majority? The Labour Party is not pro-leave and never has been.

Ash
08-11-2017, 02:54 PM
The Labour Party is not pro-leave and never has been.

Its leader was, though, for decades all the way up to last June. Feckin turncoat.

But if the parties are both for honouring the result of the referendum, even if through gritted teeth, and as the MPS almost unanimously were when they voted, they should all get on with it make the best of it rather than continuing the project fear in the hope that the process can somehow be stopped.

Ash
08-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Leaving would be an absolute catastrophe.

It seems that many remainers desperately want this to be true, and hope that if they keep repeating it it will come true, rather than using their energies to work out the best future outside the EU.

Peter
08-11-2017, 03:03 PM
It seems that many remainers desperately want this to be true, and hope that if they keep repeating it it will come true, rather than using their energies to work out the best future outside the EU.

The best future outside the EU probably involves the EU no longer existing. So those most committed to it should focus on destroying it.

Funny old game etc :)

Peter
08-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Its leader was, though, for decades all the way up to last June. Feckin turncoat.

But if the parties are both for honouring the result of the referendum, even if through gritted teeth, and as the MPS almost unanimously were when they voted, they should all get on with it make the best of it rather than continuing the project fear in the hope that the process can somehow be stopped.

They will....I think. The bigger test for Labour would be if they actually won an election. Corbyn would face tremendous pressure from his parliamentary party to consider a second referendum.

Ash
08-11-2017, 03:07 PM
The best future outside the EU probably involves the EU no longer existing. So those most committed to it should focus on destroying it.

Funny old game etc :)

Well, if Germany has to suffer adverse results of US sanctions against Russia because Poland approves, there may well be entropy in the system.

Ash
08-11-2017, 03:09 PM
They will....I think. The bigger test for Labour would be if they actually won an election. Corbyn would face tremendous pressure from his parliamentary party to consider a second referendum.

:hehe: He should pay more attention to their working class leave voters who will desert the party for ever if they are betrayed. And these are the same PLPers presumably who had been trying to knife JC since he won the leadership.

Monty92
08-11-2017, 03:13 PM
:hehe: He should pay more attention to their working class leave voters who will desert the party for ever if they are betrayed. And these are the same PLPers presumably who had been trying to knife JC since he won the leadership.

This is why Corbyn is staying firm on a full Brexit. If they betray their working class support, those voters will disappear forever. If they betray their middle class support, they'll stick with them because the alternative is the Tories.

Peter
08-11-2017, 03:14 PM

The very same, yes. They can go Fock themselves when you are in opposition. The minute they are your majority you have to listen to them.

Remember corbyn cares little for this ****. He is more concerned with how Westminster governs Britain.

Ash
08-11-2017, 03:19 PM
The very same, yes. They can go Fock themselves when you are in opposition. The minute they are your majority you have to listen to them.

Remember corbyn cares little for this ****. He is more concerned with how Westminster governs Britain.

He should purge the phuckers. Drain the swamp!

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Let us put it another way. No leaver has actually come up with a path that actually leads to leaving being of genuine benefit.

AFC East
08-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Of course there is a mandate to leave, but not a mandate for much else. It was a spectacularly stupid question to ask, because only one of the answers gave a clear way forward.

Ash
08-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Let us put it another way. No leaver has actually come up with a path that actually leads to leaving being of genuine benefit.

That is your opinion. though it sounds to me as if you are saying "Nah nah I'm not listening!"

Ash
08-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Of course there is a mandate to leave, but not a mandate for much else. It was a spectacularly stupid question to ask, because only one of the answers gave a clear way forward.

The question wasn't stupid, and it was clear. Leave means leave.

God, I'm bored of repeating this.

Luis Anaconda
08-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Should be forced to repeat it until it make some sense though, which it will never do. It doesn't - or does only as much as frankfurter means frankfurter. It is an absolutely ludicrous position to hold - leave should have meant something, people should have been given more to vote on than just a rejection of an idea. People essentially voted for a vacuum at the heart of our government and yet you still nonchalantly dismiss people who say this might have been bad idea as "Project Fear" - another utterly stupid concept. Anyway - enjoy the match, a. Chat Monday :)

World's End Stella
08-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Seems remarkably simple. I wonder what those armies of negotiators for both sides are talking about and why people think it will take years?

Someone should tell them to just leave because that's what people voted for. :nod:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-11-2017, 06:08 PM
That is your opinion. though it sounds to me as if you are saying "Nah nah I'm not listening!"

Of course it's my opinion. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. It is our future FFS. It is clear that we are going to leave so how can we make it a success. I've seen nothing to suggest that it will be for the foreseeable future.

If you have something to suggest, please do enlighten rather than just coming up with a nonsensical response?

Peter
08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Should be forced to repeat it until it make some sense though, which it will never do. It doesn't - or does only as much as frankfurter means frankfurter. It is an absolutely ludicrous position to hold - leave should have meant something, people should have been given more to vote on than just a rejection of an idea. People essentially voted for a vacuum at the heart of our government and yet you still nonchalantly dismiss people who say this might have been bad idea as "Project Fear" - another utterly stupid concept. Anyway - enjoy the match, a. Chat Monday :)

Means as much as 'brexit means brexit'

Monty92
08-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Means as much as 'brexit means brexit'

"Brexit means Brexit" means exactly what every single key player in the leave campaign (not to mention Cameron, Osborne and many others on the remain side) stated it meant pre-referendum and what they continue to state it means today :shrug:

The precise way in which we extricate ourselves from the EU institutions that we must leave for Brexit to mean Brexit was not on the ballot paper and neither you nor anyone else would seriously suggest it should have been.

Peter
08-14-2017, 09:25 AM
"Brexit means Brexit" means exactly what every single key player in the leave campaign (not to mention Cameron, Osborne and many others on the remain side) stated it meant pre-referendum and what they continue to state it means today :shrug:

The precise way in which we extricate ourselves from the EU institutions that we must leave for Brexit to mean Brexit was not on the ballot paper and neither you nor anyone else would seriously suggest it should have been.

No, it is a politician's answer designed to do nothing but avoid the question.

It is not a question of precise extrication, it is a question of fundamentals- the single market, freedom of movement, trade agreements. And I did point out, before the referendum, that it was a little unfair that leavers were being asked to take a leap in the dark- a tiny bit of detail would have made for a more balanced debate. In the end it didn’t matter and people took the gamble anyway.

Either way…. You can make all the excuses you like. The fact is that the statement Brexit means Brexit says precisely nothing and is precisely designed to do so. It is an answer to a question that wants to know what Brexit means- at this stage, the government still don’t really have a clue. So how can it possibly mean anything?

World's End Stella
08-14-2017, 09:31 AM

It is not a question of precise extrication, it is a question of fundamentals- the single market, freedom of movement, trade agreements. And I did point out, before the referendum, that it was a little unfair that leavers were being asked to take a leap in the dark- a tiny bit of detail would have made for a more balanced debate. In the end it didn’t matter and people took the gamble anyway.

Either way…. You can make all the excuses you like. The fact is that the statement Brexit means Brexit says precisely nothing and is precisely designed to do so. It is an answer to a question that wants to know what Brexit means- at this stage, the government still don’t really have a clue. So how can it possibly mean anything?

Thank you, Peter. I started to provide pretty much that explanation to dear Monty and then figured it was a waste of my time.

Nice to see you aren't that busy. :-)

Peter
08-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Thank you, Peter. I started to provide pretty much that explanation to dear Monty and then figured it was a waste of my time.

Nice to see you aren't that busy. :-)

Wonderful goal from the lad Ramsey on Friday. Always liked him :D

Monty92
08-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Brexit means and always meant leaving the single market, customs union and ECJ and ending freedom of movement. And, of course, negotiating the best trade deal possible with the EU.

What more did you want?

World's End Stella
08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Wonderful goal from the lad Ramsey on Friday. Always liked him :D

Shocking defending, ball from Xhaka was in the air for ages and still no one cut it out. Nice finish all the same. Now if only he could learn how to play in midfield. :-)

Peter
08-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Brexit means and always meant leaving the single market, customs union and ECJ and ending freedom of movement. And, of course, negotiating the best trade deal possible with the EU.

What more did you want?

Right, yet whenever asked that, specifically, she says 'Brexit means Brexit'. What does that tell you?

Politicians will always give you a straight answer if they can because they know full well they are hardly ever able to do so. Whenever they avoid answering there is a reason.

Ash
08-14-2017, 11:02 AM

As Monty said, Brexit means leaving the European institutions that comprise the EU. Pro-remain politicians (which is most of them) and pro-remain media (which is most of it) are muddying the water by pretending that it might mean something else (fakebrexit, basically), which encourages others to follow their lead.

As to the difficulties and complexities of this, well yes, it is both of those things but then radical political change like revolution and extraction from supranational entities is never easy. The difficulty of a task should not preclude the option of persuing it even if it is a challenging obstacle. Indeed, the 'technical' argument against attempting it which you are making is cut from the very cloth of the unassailable EU technocracy, where government is seen as a machine that humble voters can never attempt to understand, and can only be operated by the high priests of the machinery who should not be accountable to the odious masses (which the current, left-of-centre ruling class despise as much as their right-wing predecessors).

:music: Welcome to the machine! :music:

Pat Vegas
08-14-2017, 11:18 AM
This thread sucks it's too much to follow.

Ash
08-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Of course it's my opinion. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. It is our future FFS. It is clear that we are going to leave so how can we make it a success. I've seen nothing to suggest that it will be for the foreseeable future.

If you have something to suggest, please do enlighten rather than just coming up with a nonsensical response?

I have been suggesting things in detailed conversations here with many people for the last year and a half. :shrug: Which is why I get exasperated when I feel I am being asked to start from the very beginning when confronted with statements like:

No leaver has actually come up with a path that actually leads to leaving being of genuine benefit.

Are you saying that no leaver has come up with any advantages of being independent from the EU? Or is it that there is no path to achieve those benefits?

If it is the latter, then for a start see my reply to Peter about the technical challenges, to which I would add that if the difficulty of that path is partly seen as the reluctance of the EU and/or some of its constituents elements to give us a fair deal then that only reinforces the critique of the institition in the first place. Put bluntly, if they are being cùnts then that is why we wanted to leave in the first place.

Ultimately we put more money into the EU than we get out, and we buy more stuff from it than we sell. If those countries who we are subsidising, while our own people go short of services we cannot afford, want to play hardball, then ultimately they will have to seek their free monies from elsewhere while Britain can continue to trade with the EU like every other country under WTO rules. Is China in the EU? Nope.

The worst possible path is the 'soft' (fake) brexit that sees Britain still paying in about the same amount, still have no control over its borders and laws and courts, but has no say in the EU either.

Ash
08-14-2017, 11:27 AM
This thread sucks it's too much to follow.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Pat Vegas
08-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks. :thumbup:

Perhaps you have it in picture form?

also on your recommendation I now own a Tokai.

Burney
08-14-2017, 11:37 AM
I have been suggesting things in detailed conversations here with many people for the last year and a half. :shrug: Which is why I get exasperated when I feel I am being asked to start from the very beginning when confronted with statements like:

I'm just thoroughly sick of the 'it's too complicated' argument (which is pathetic); the 'It was too binary'/'Leavers didn't know what they were voting for' (which is disingenuous - they were voting to Leave the EU because they don't like it - everything else is just detail).

The fact is that, in 40 years of membership, the political class has utterly failed to convince the wider British public of the merits of EU membership - as evidenced by the fact that those who voted In in 1975 overwhelmingly voted Leave in 2016.

Ultimately, if you take away the minority of us with specific ideological reasons for voting either way, the split actually came down to a very simple dichotomy between those who feel they have benefited from the EU and those who feel they both have not and have actually suffered as a result of membership.
That's it. Nothing more complex than that. The ascribing of base motives to either side is both incorrect and unhelpful.

Ash
08-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Why does it not make sense to be an independent country outside of a supranational entity? National sovereignty has been the standard unit of geopolitical organisation for hundreds of years. Self-determination was considered the key element of post-imperial Europe after WW1 and more globally after WW2 when Britain's own empire was disbanded, along with others.

Was the concept of self-rule for Ireland merely the 'rejection of an idea' or was it the rejection of a specific supranational entity - the British Empire? Likewise, the rejection of the EU is not the rejection of an 'idea' of Europe, but an actual powerful political contruct. There was probably far less confusion in the minds of thise who voted to leave than of those who are desperately trying to avoid leaving while making it look as if they are.

As for the concerted campaign by pretty much the entire ruling class to persuade voters that the sky would fall on our heads the moment we voted leave, let alone after we actually left, well, call it what you like. Project Fear is not such a bad description imo.

World's End Stella
08-14-2017, 12:04 PM

What more did you want?

So leaving the EU and remaining in the EEA is not Brexit then? Despite the leaving the EU bit? And this was absolutely clear to everyone who voted leave, was it?

As Peter said, no one was looking for all the details but something like 'we will leave the single market, customs union and have complete control of our borders with no qualifications' wouldn't have been that difficult to communicate and voting for it without any supporting proposal of any kind baffles me. Unless, like Burney, you voted Leave for ideological reasons and let the consequences be damned.

Peter
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
As Monty said, Brexit means leaving the European institutions that comprise the EU. Pro-remain politicians (which is most of them) and pro-remain media (which is most of it) are muddying the water by pretending that it might mean something else (fakebrexit, basically), which encourages others to follow their lead.

As to the difficulties and complexities of this, well yes, it is both of those things but then radical political change like revolution and extraction from supranational entities is never easy. The difficulty of a task should not preclude the option of persuing it even if it is a challenging obstacle. Indeed, the 'technical' argument against attempting it which you are making is cut from the very cloth of the unassailable EU technocracy, where government is seen as a machine that humble voters can never attempt to understand, and can only be operated by the high priests of the machinery who should not be accountable to the odious masses (which the current, left-of-centre ruling class despise as much as their right-wing predecessors).

:music: Welcome to the machine! :music:

I am not making any argument against attempting anything. I just said that 'brexit means brexit' means nothing. Which is undeniably true.

Monty92
08-14-2017, 12:14 PM
I am not making any argument against attempting anything. I just said that 'brexit means brexit' means nothing. Which is undeniably true.

It doesn't mean nothing. It means leaving the EU.

It has also been regularly qualified by the key Leave players, including May herself.

“Brexit does not mean partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

“The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union."

Theresa May, January 2017

Ash
08-14-2017, 12:22 PM
also on your recommendation I now own a Tokai.

That was Herbs, I think, not me. Last time I bought a bass guitar was in the 80s and all I knew was that it had to be a Fender Precision and be made in the USA. I expect things have changed quite a lot since then, but that bass sounded and played brilliantly for decades. :cloud11:

Peter
08-14-2017, 12:42 PM
It doesn't mean nothing. It means leaving the EU.

It has also been regularly qualified by the key Leave players, including May herself.

“Brexit does not mean partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

“The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union."

Theresa May, January 2017

No, it doesn’t mean leaving the EU. It means nothing. It’s a bull**** hashtag that it isn’t even a word and that literally doesn’t mean anything. You may think it represents leaving the EU, leaving the single market, ending freedom of movement etc…… but it doesn’t.

The quote you put below is better. This at least implies that those significant aspects of membership will simply be ended rather than amended. It still doesn’t say it but it does at least imply it. It is better, for example, than ‘leaving means leaving’ which would simply be another way of avoiding the question.

Quite frankly, the ‘it’s obvious’ angle is rather stupid. Nobody has ever witnessed a situation like this before- nothing is obvious, nothing can be taken as read, nothing is implicit. People quite rightly want to know what Brexit is going to look like and our idiot of a Prime Minister has spectacularly failed to address it.

Pokster
08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Can I just check, are you lot just copying and pasting what you all said about 1,2 and 3 months ago?

Monty92
08-14-2017, 12:45 PM
No, it doesn’t mean leaving the EU. It means nothing. It’s a bull**** hashtag that it isn’t even a word and that literally doesn’t mean anything. You may think it represents leaving the EU, leaving the single market, ending freedom of movement etc…… but it doesn’t.

The quote you put below is better. This at least implies that those significant aspects of membership will simply be ended rather than amended. It still doesn’t say it but it does at least imply it. It is better, for example, than ‘leaving means leaving’ which would simply be another way of avoiding the question.

Quite frankly, the ‘it’s obvious’ angle is rather stupid. Nobody has ever witnessed a situation like this before- nothing is obvious, nothing can be taken as read, nothing is implicit. People quite rightly want to know what Brexit is going to look like and our idiot of a Prime Minister has spectacularly failed to address it.

Jesus Christ. I thought I was on the autistic spectrum...

I give up.

Peter
08-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Jesus Christ. I thought I was on the autistic spectrum...

I give up.

I think you probably should.

Ash
08-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Can I just check, are you lot just copying and pasting what you all said about 1,2 and 3 months ago?

No, I re-composed my bits, and added some new content. It does all feel a bit deja-vu though, for the most part.

Peter
08-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Why does it not make sense to be an independent country outside of a supranational entity? National sovereignty has been the standard unit of geopolitical organisation for hundreds of years. Self-determination was considered the key element of post-imperial Europe after WW1 and more globally after WW2 when Britain's own empire was disbanded, along with others.

Was the concept of self-rule for Ireland merely the 'rejection of an idea' or was it the rejection of a specific supranational entity - the British Empire? Likewise, the rejection of the EU is not the rejection of an 'idea' of Europe, but an actual powerful political contruct. There was probably far less confusion in the minds of thise who voted to leave than of those who are desperately trying to avoid leaving while making it look as if they are.

As for the concerted campaign by pretty much the entire ruling class to persuade voters that the sky would fall on our heads the moment we voted leave, let alone after we actually left, well, call it what you like. Project Fear is not such a bad description imo.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, Ireland was not part of the British Empire. It was part of the United Kingdom. As such it was denied any right to any degree of self government. There is no parallel whatsoever with that and the EU.

Peter
08-14-2017, 12:56 PM
No, I re-composed my bits, and added some new content. It does all feel a bit deja-vu though, for the most part.

That's because you wont tell us what leaving looks like. We are left to leap around in the dark. ;)

Pat Vegas
08-14-2017, 01:01 PM
That was Herbs, I think, not me. Last time I bought a bass guitar was in the 80s and all I knew was that it had to be a Fender Precision and be made in the USA. I expect things have changed quite a lot since then, but that bass sounded and played brilliantly for decades. :cloud11:

:nod: Herb did recently.
I am sure you mentioned them previously though. like years ago.

Ash
08-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Just for the avoidance of doubt, Ireland was not part of the British Empire. It was part of the United Kingdom. As such it was denied any right to any degree of self government. There is no parallel whatsoever with that and the EU.

Nit picking. Straw nits, too. I doubt those who sought to establish what bacame the Irish Free State cared whether they were extricating themselves from the UK or the British Empire. My point is about the concept of sovereignty, rather than trying to draw exact parallels between voluntary and involuntary supra-national constructs.

Ash
08-14-2017, 01:09 PM
That's because you wont tell us what leaving looks like. We are left to leap around in the dark. ;)

That is because your hat has fallen down over your eyes, my friend. :driving:

Peter
08-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Nit picking. Straw nits, too. I doubt those who sought to establish what bacame the Irish Free State cared whether they were extricating themselves from the UK or the British Empire. My point is about the concept of sovereignty, rather than trying to draw exact parallels between voluntary and involuntary supra-national constructs.

The point being that UK was not, and is not, a supra-national construct. Its a nation state.

I think the IRA was concerned with a little more than sovereignty..... ;)

Peter
08-14-2017, 01:19 PM
That is because your hat has fallen down over your eyes, my friend. :driving:

No, its because the political elite are buying time until they work out how to do what is best for them. :)

Ash
08-14-2017, 01:45 PM
The point being that UK was not, and is not, a supra-national construct. Its a nation state.

I think the IRA was concerned with a little more than sovereignty..... ;)

Lexical sophistry to pretend that Ireland was not subject to foreign rule imo.

And the UK is surely a multi-national state. However much of Ireland it includes.

Peter
08-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Lexical sophistry to pretend that Ireland was not subject to foreign rule imo.

And the UK is surely a multi-national state. However much of Ireland it includes.

No, no, no. It is a nation state by both definition and design. Even if it is multi-national, it remains a nation state.

There is one interesting parallel. Ireland held an election in 1922 which focused entirely on the Free State treaty. The pro-treaty factions won and De Valera refused to accept it. Civil war followed.

Note to remainers- respect the public vote.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-15-2017, 08:34 AM

I'm sorry, I haven't read every post on this subject. I dip in and out and often see nonsense like Monty's leading post in this thread so I choose not to participate.

I'm saying that I see lots of leavers telling everyone words to the effect of.....

and

Brexit means Brexit
Do you not see the irony here?

Are you saying that no leaver has come up with any advantages of being independent from the EU? Or is it that there is no path to achieve those benefits?

If it is the latter, then for a start see my reply to Peter about the technical challenges, to which I would add that if the difficulty of that path is partly seen as the reluctance of the EU and/or some of its constituents elements to give us a fair deal then that only reinforces the critique of the institition in the first place. Put bluntly, if they are being cùnts then that is why we wanted to leave in the first place.

Ultimately we put more money into the EU than we get out, and we buy more stuff from it than we sell. If those countries who we are subsidising, while our own people go short of services we cannot afford, want to play hardball, then ultimately they will have to seek their free monies from elsewhere while Britain can continue to trade with the EU like every other country under WTO rules. Is China in the EU? Nope.

The worst possible path is the 'soft' (fake) brexit that sees Britain still paying in about the same amount, still have no
control over its borders and laws and courts, but has no say in the EU either.

Our government seem to be putting all the blame on the EU for their stance and the EU is doing visa versa. No surprises there but the opening positions are going to be unrealistic from both sides. The EU will want to protect the EU. We want a fair (preferential) deal but what is a fair deal?
- Is it a deal that is better than what we had when we were in the EU? That seems totally unrealistic from the EU perspective as that will probably be the beginning of the end of the EU. Not a bad position when you are leaving it, we would probably want it to fall apart.
- Is it a deal that is worse than the terms of WTO terms? Clearly we wouldn't take that deal and default to WTO terms.
- Is it a deal that is somewhere in between? What does this mean. I don't know this.

Then we move on to how will we be in a better position once we are out of it?
- Control of our borders? Apparently, and I have not done the research, we can already impose restrictions on immigration while within the EU. If this is the case, why have we not. Is it just cost of policing the borders?
- Sovereignty? Ok, there is that. One could argue that the EU makes laws designed to protect the likes of you and me from being exploited. I'm not saying it is perfect. Is this such a bad thing to lose? What is the cost of giving this up?

Then there is the financial impact. What do we have in our pockets at the end of the day. Who stands to gain most from this and who will be worse off?