PDA

View Full Version : GoT-WIMB: On Euron's magic ship-replicating machine

Ash
08-04-2017, 12:54 PM
As was mentioned the other day, suspending disbelief to allow the existence of mythical creatures like dragons is one thing. Doing it to allow the new villain of the story to magic up 1,000 ships is another.

He would have needed 750,000 trees (139 Epping Forests) and 50,000 men in 1000 shipyards to deliver that many ships within a year-and-a-half. What he actually had was a small, windswept and sea-lashed island containing nothing but "rocks and birdshít".

People who don't like dragons or stories that include them need not comment in this thread. :thumbup:

http://mashable.com/2017/07/22/euron-greyjoy-1000-ships-game-of-thrones-plot-hole/#2eNVnzCDfaqL

Sir C
08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
As was mentioned the other day, suspending disbelief to allow the existence of mythical creatures like dragons is one thing. Doing it to allow the new villain of the story to magic up 1,000 ships is another.

He would have needed 750,000 trees (139 Epping Forests) and 50,000 men in 1000 shipyards to deliver that many ships within a year-and-a-half. What he actually had was a small, windswept and sea-lashed island containing nothing but "rocks and birdshít".

People who don't like dragons or stories that include them need not comment in this thread. :thumbup:

http://mashable.com/2017/07/22/euron-greyjoy-1000-ships-game-of-thrones-plot-hole/#2eNVnzCDfaqL

:thumbup: Thanks a, that saves me the tedious and bothersome task of sitting down to watch it with my glw when she returns from two weeks away with work, as we had been looking forward to.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
08-04-2017, 01:03 PM
moment John Shnur was allowed to return from the dead. They did actually have dragons back then?

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
08-04-2017, 01:04 PM
:thumbup: Thanks a, that saves me the tedious and bothersome task of sitting down to watch it with my glw when she returns from two weeks away with work, as we had been looking forward to.

Ash didn't physically force you open the body of the post you big baby.

Ash
08-04-2017, 01:29 PM

He said he was going to do it in the last series, tbf. Though you are right, maybe I should have mentioned something about Game of Thrones, and Euron, and ships in the title. Soz. :-(

Ash
08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
moment John Shnur was allowed to return from the dead. They did actually have dragons back then?

But Beric Dondarrion was brought back loads of times by Thoros. Early on in the series, too.

Sir C
08-04-2017, 01:43 PM
He said he was going to do it in the last series, tbf. Though you are right, maybe I should have mentioned something about Game of Thrones, and Euron, and ships in the title. Soz. :-(

Don't worry, a. I didn't want this marriage to last anyway. :-(

Burney
08-04-2017, 01:56 PM

The thing is ludicrous, a. Euron is a disgrace of a character. They've always done a bit of cheating (Littlefinger's mysterious ability to appear in different bits of Westeros in a suspiciously short timeframe being a key example), but this level of shortcutting is really starting to irritate me.

Ash
08-04-2017, 02:14 PM
The thing is ludicrous, a. Euron is a disgrace of a character. They've always done a bit of cheating (Littlefinger's mysterious ability to appear in different bits of Westeros in a suspiciously short timeframe being a key example), but this level of shortcutting is really starting to irritate me.

Perhaps it's working out these little continuity details that's taking the beardy foodcùnt 10 years per book. HBO have no time for these sort of scruples.

Luis Anaconda
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
There's a Euron/taking the piss joke in there somewhere

Billy Goat Sverige
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Perhaps it's working out these little continuity details that's taking the beardy foodcùnt 10 years per book. HBO have no time for these sort of scruples.

Yes, i read something recently that suggested it's becoming harder and harder for him to tie everything in because he introduced so many different characters into the story.

He's releasing Fire and Blood Vol I next year. I think i'll give that a read. I do like me some dragons.

Ash
08-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Yes, i read something recently that suggested it's becoming harder and harder for him to tie everything in because he introduced so many different characters into the story.

He's releasing Fire and Blood Vol I next year. I think i'll give that a read. I do like me some dragons.

He should have stopped introducing new characters at the beginning of the chapter where he introduces Dorne. It's basically downhill from there. Or uphill, from his planning point of view. By the time we got to fake Aegons and John Conningtons, whoever the fùck they were, I was seriously past caring.

Ash
08-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Or just hire a feckin project manager to help him co-ordinate this stuff.