PDA

View Full Version : Those crazy Poles :hehe:

Sir C
08-03-2017, 08:10 AM
I bet that made Reichsfuhrer Merkel choke on her breakfast wurst this morning.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
08-03-2017, 08:17 AM

It's a bit rich coming from the old Sausage Rolls though c. As vehemently anti-semitic as any German and quite prepared to assist in the running of the Warsaw ghetto.

Sir C
08-03-2017, 08:22 AM
It's a bit rich coming from the old Sausage Rolls though c. As vehemently anti-semitic as any German and quite prepared to assist in the running of the Warsaw ghetto.

True enough, h, true enough. It's nice that someone is prepared to stand up to German hegemony, though.

And Poles, in my experience, are unfailingly polite - even back when they were Commies, they were much more pleasant to deal with than Germans, Romanians, Czechs or Hungarians.

08-03-2017, 08:35 AM
True enough, h, true enough. It's nice that someone is prepared to stand up to German hegemony, though.

And Poles, in my experience, are unfailingly polite - even back when they were Commies, they were much more pleasant to deal with than Germans, Romanians, Czechs or Hungarians.

Didn't know much about them c then last autumn had to go and live in Ireland for 3 months and found myself sharing an old 6 bed farmhouse on The Burren with a polish gangster who'd fled Canada in a hurry.

At first we were a sort of Joey and Chandler smoking skunk and quaffing vodka but he began to exasperate me with his anti-semitic, pro Putin, pro Trump racist diatribes. I kept trying to explain to him that I couldn't possibly let him anywhere near my friends or family if he couldn't exclude the 'N' word from his rants.

Sir C
08-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Didn't know much about them c then last autumn had to go and live in Ireland for 3 months and found myself sharing an old 6 bed farmhouse on The Burren with a polish gangster who'd fled Canada in a hurry.

At first we were a sort of Joey and Chandler smoking skunk and quaffing vodka but he began to exasperate me with his anti-semitic, pro Putin, pro Trump racist diatribes. I kept trying to explain to him that I couldn't possibly let him anywhere near my friends or family if he couldn't exclude the 'N' word from his rants.

I suppose the poor bástards lived under barbarous regimes from 1939 to 1991, so they missed out on most of the liberalising influence of the 20th century. In the case of your gangster mate, he ended up in exactly the worst place to reinforce his racism and savagery :-(

08-03-2017, 08:46 AM
:heh: The Irish talk a very good diversity game but you quickly observe that you never see a brown face in County Clare.

Burney
08-03-2017, 09:08 AM

:clap: I'm always amused that we brits are accused of being obsessed with WWII when, the moment you scratch the surface in mainland Europe, all the old bitterness towards Germany is still very much there. The fact is that the whole of Europe is obsessed with it. The only difference is that us Brits can find something in it to celebrate, while the rest of Europe only has shame and anger.

Sir C
08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
:clap: I'm always amused that we brits are accused of being obsessed with WWII when, the moment you scratch the surface in mainland Europe, all the old bitterness towards Germany is still very much there. The fact is that the whole of Europe is obsessed with it. The only difference is that us Brits can find something in it to celebrate, while the rest of Europe only has shame and anger.

Frogs, in my experience, wish above all to avoid the mater entirely and pretend it never happened.

Cloggies are lost. Until the late 90s children were educated, quite rightly, to enjoy hating Germans as a sort of national sport, but then along came generation Woke, and now you won't hear a bad word about Duitsers from anyone Dutch of any generation. They have rolled over and begged for their tummies to be tickled.

08-03-2017, 09:33 AM
WW2 a source of embarrassment to the french from every angle. The Vichy regime. The way the efficacy of La Resistance has been embellished and exaggerated.

The thousands of Parisian women who took german lovers and then the thousands of cowardly retributionists who tarred and feathered them when Fritz scarpered.

Many french people murdered by there own countrymen on the flimsiest collaboration charges. I have a close french friend whose grandfather was lynched by a mob for selling his Champagne to germans for Christ's sake!

(this is a response to Sir C but this broken contraption of a site is refusing to do as it's told )

Sir C
08-03-2017, 09:38 AM
WW2 a source of embarrassment to the french from every angle. The Vichy regime. The way the efficacy of La Resistance has been embellished and exaggerated.

The thousands of Parisian women who took german lovers and then the thousands of cowardly retributionists who tarred and feathered them when Fritz scarpered.

Many french people murdered by there own countrymen on the flimsiest collaboration charges. I have a close french friend whose grandfather was lynched by a mob for selling his Champagne to germans for Christ's sake!

(this is a response to Sir C but this broken contraption of a site is refusing to do as it's told )

All this is true, but there is also the issue of the Frogs' understandable fear of Germany. 1870, 1914, 1940 - being on the receiving end of a good kicking 3 times in 70 years has left them shy of having to confront the Krauts again, so they'd rather not think about it.

Burney
08-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Amusingly, for 70-odd years, they've been indoctrinating their children with the comforting - but easily disproved - myth that they actually liberated themselves. Their history books massively understate the Anglo-American role in French liberation and they get quite cross when you point out what bullshít their version of events is.

Sir C
08-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Amusingly, for 70-odd years, they've been indoctrinating their children with the comforting - but easily disproved - myth that they actually liberated themselves. Their history books massively understate the Anglo-American role in French liberation and they get quite cross when you point out what bullshít their version of events is.

Yes, this image of de Gaulle bravely liberating Paris is a popular one.

redgunamo
08-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Yes, this image of de Gaulle bravely liberating Paris is a popular one.

looooooooool. Yes!