PDA

View Full Version : We are the most successful English team of the last four years

The Insider
07-27-2017, 11:22 AM
http://zapsportz.com/dont-overlook-the-fact-arsenal-have-won-more-trophies-than-any-other-english-club-in-the-last-four-seasons/

Have a read and see what you think!!

:titles:

Luis Anaconda
07-27-2017, 11:48 AM
http://zapsportz.com/dont-overlook-the-fact-arsenal-have-won-more-trophies-than-any-other-english-club-in-the-last-four-seasons/

Well, it seems strange to pick an arbitrary figure to base any argument on, but how fortunate it coincides with an upturn in our FA Cup fortunes. I doubt very much in editorial meetings around various newspapers and other sporting news outlets there would be much shrift giving to any saying, "You know what would make a good piece, 'Who's won the most trophies over the past four seasons?" And the writer also falls into the trap on counting one team's Charity Shields but not the others. Figures wouldn't look so good if you did a "Who's won the most in the past two seasons?" for example

barrybueno
07-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Well, it seems strange to pick an arbitrary figure to base any argument on, but how fortunate it coincides with an upturn in our FA Cup fortunes. I doubt very much in editorial meetings around various newspapers and other sporting news outlets there would be much shrift giving to any saying, "You know what would make a good piece, 'Who's won the most trophies over the past four seasons?" And the writer also falls into the trap on counting one team's Charity Shields but not the others. Figures wouldn't look so good if you did a "Who's won the most in the past two seasons?" for example

Anyone who counts the Charity Shield as a trophy should be kicked to death imo.

Also, Im pretty sure every Arsenal fan in the world would swap those FA Cups with Chelseas titles.

redgunamo
07-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry :homer:

Also, Im pretty sure every Arsenal fan in the world would swap those FA Cups with Chelseas titles.

SWv2
07-27-2017, 12:59 PM

They don't appear to have factored in that International Champions thing we won in China either.

redgunamo
07-27-2017, 01:01 PM
They don't appear to have factored in that International Champions thing we won in China either.

#FakeTrophies

The Insider
07-27-2017, 01:59 PM

All timescales are arbitary, but if it's good enough for the IOC, it's good enough for me. who decided that three years was the football TV cycle or that a restraining order would last for five years or that the taxman can chase you for up to seven years etc....

The media seemed perfectly happy to use any time period from 2005 onwards to remind the world how long our trophy drought had been. If in 2011 it was acceptablt to say that Arsenal hadn't won a trophy for six years then I can also choose my timescale. It is the media that are the ****s not me.

Luis Anaconda
07-27-2017, 02:04 PM
All timescales are arbitary, but if it's good enough for the IOC, it's good enough for me. who decided that three years was the football TV cycle or that a restraining order would last for five years or that the taxman can chase you for up to seven years etc....

The media seemed perfectly happy to use any time period from 2005 onwards to remind the world how long our trophy drought had been. If in 2011 it was acceptablt to say that Arsenal hadn't won a trophy for six years then I can also choose my timescale. It is the media that are the ****s not me.

With all due respect, you are babbling like a lunatic. Despite what you think the "media" - and bear in mind you are talking about a wide range of institutions and people here so, just classifying them as one entity is always rather silly - are not really as biased one way or another as a one-eyed, very sensitive fan. And the fact that you get your knickers in such a twist over the "media" referring to the Tottenham's new stadium as new, puts you in a sensitivity category of Nicosia proportions

The Insider
07-27-2017, 03:46 PM
And you wonder why this is a dying forum and one that is populated by a small clique of inward looking numbties. What is there now, eight of you left? It's like the island of St Kilda on here.....

Sir C
07-27-2017, 03:56 PM
And you wonder why this is a dying forum and one that is populated by a small clique of inward looking numbties. What is there now, eight of you left? It's like the island of St Kilda on here.....

Point of order, I think you'll find we're numpties rather than numbties.

Your jibes do not offend me, the Insider, for I am to make garlic bread.

Garlic. Bread. When did you last eat garlic bread? You want some now, don't you?

SWv2
07-27-2017, 04:00 PM

Face it Insider dude, the entire article is fúcking ridiculous starting with the most basic premise that the writer appears to view the Charity Shield as a real trophy, placing the same ‘value’ on a 90 minute glorified pre-season kickabout as winning the 38 game league title.

The arbitrary or otherwise selection of 4 years or whatever as the timespan is irrelevant.

The Insider
07-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Point of order, I think you'll find we're numpties rather than numbties.

Your jibes do not offend me, the Insider, for I am to make garlic bread.

Garlic. Bread. When did you last eat garlic bread? You want some now, don't you?

Thanks for the kind offer, but the coals are firing up the tandoor and the naan dough is proofing...so all is good in the bread department chez moi.Fresh Keema mattar paneer to go with it...

The Insider
07-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Face it Insider dude, the entire article is fúcking ridiculous starting with the most basic premise that the writer appears to view the Charity Shield as a real trophy, placing the same ‘value’ on a 90 minute glorified pre-season kickabout as winning the 38 game league title.

The arbitrary or otherwise selection of 4 years or whatever as the timespan is irrelevant.

Missing the point old chap. The article is clearly stating that Spuds and Scousers win **** all and get away with murder in the press whilst we are portrayed as perennial failures...hardy or otherwise. I shoud add that the headline was written by the editor not the writing and not what I would have chosen!

Sir C
07-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the kind offer, but the coals are firing up the tandoor and the naan dough is proofing...so all is good in the bread department chez moi.Fresh Keema mattar paneer to go with it...

You are clearly a Great Man, ti. Much respect to you. :bow:

SWv2
07-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Missing the point old chap. The article is clearly stating that Spuds and Scousers win **** all and get away with murder in the press whilst we are portrayed as perennial failures...hardy or otherwise. I shoud add that the headline was written by the editor not the writing and not what I would have chosen!

I will be honest with you, I barely read the body of the article as I suspected it to be a nonsense. Instead I focused on the trophy analysis which ultimately was the basis of the piece.

As for Spurs/Liverpool getting a hard time or otherwise, or indeed us being berated for trophy droughts and the like it all largely washes over me as I am an adult.

Am I to gather that you are the author / journalist?

The Insider
07-27-2017, 04:17 PM
I will be honest with you, I barely read the body of the article as I suspected it to be a nonsense. Instead I focused on the trophy analysis which ultimately was the basis of the piece.

As for Spurs/Liverpool getting a hard time or otherwise, or indeed us being berated for trophy droughts and the like it all largely washes over me as I am an adult.

Am I to gather that you are the author / journalist?

A lady never tell...

SWv2
07-27-2017, 04:29 PM
A lady never tell...

I will keep my eye on you.

Tread carefully or you could easily end up on a list.

The Insider
07-27-2017, 04:39 PM
I will keep my eye on you.

Tread carefully or you could easily end up on a list.

I am already on many lists and directories and registers....some good, some not so!

Ash
07-28-2017, 09:16 AM

It has always been quite aggressive here in some ways, as is the internet in general, of course. Our chums over at SIMB used to like to characterise themselves as the biggest bunch of cùnts on the internet. I think we have tried at least to match them over the years. Many of our unpleasant personas are now being unpleasant on The Twitter and other manifestations of social media instead.

SWv2
07-28-2017, 10:26 AM
It has always been quite aggressive here in some ways, as is the internet in general, of course. Our chums over at SIMB used to like to characterise themselves as the biggest bunch of cùnts on the internet. I think we have tried at least to match them over the years. Many of our unpleasant personas are now being unpleasant on The Twitter and other manifestations of social media instead.

We will need to keep an eye on this fella A. He could be lively.

redgunamo
07-28-2017, 10:42 AM

:vsign: This messageboard is the only "manifestation of social media" I subscribe to actually.

redgunamo
07-28-2017, 10:44 AM

:music: And it's Ar-sen-allll, Ar-sen-al FC ... :music:

It actually scans. Just about.