PDA

View Full Version : I for one have no problem with chlorine-washed chicken.

Burney
07-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I've eaten chicken in the states. It tastes much the same as chicken here - i.e. of not very much. What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

People do get irate about the oddest things. We'll doubtless have the (entirely un-scientific) furore about GM foods next. :rolleyes:

Pat Vegas
07-26-2017, 10:12 AM
I've eaten chicken in the states. It tastes much the same as chicken here - i.e. of not very much. What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

People do get irate about the oddest things. We'll doubtless have the (entirely un-scientific) furore about GM foods next. :rolleyes:

I think I've been silenced Berni.
I am lost for words for the stuff I read on a daily basis.

it's a very sad and boring world we live in.

Pokster
07-26-2017, 10:14 AM

As far as I'm aware, it's not the wqshing in chlorine that is the concern, it is how the animals are treated while alive which means they have to be washed in chlorine

Sir C
07-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Don't we drink chlorine in our water? And have a gulp of it when we get in a swimming pool?

Anyway, one imagines that millions of septics eat such chicken, and it's hardly turned them into a nation of drooling spastics, has it?

Oh.

Burney
07-26-2017, 10:16 AM
As far as I'm aware, it's not the wqshing in chlorine that is the concern, it is how the animals are treated while alive which means they have to be washed in chlorine

Do you imagine our domestic welfare standards are any better? After all, there's a reason why we have a higher risk of getting salmonella from eating our non-chlorinated chickens.

IUFG
07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
What's the big deal with washing it with chlorine (and the significant reduction in salmonella infection that offers)?

apparently, food handlers will get blasé about other elements of food safety if the chicken has been chlorine washed.

IUFG
07-26-2017, 10:18 AM

the washing is done after evisceration.

Burney
07-26-2017, 10:22 AM
apparently, food handlers will get blasé about other elements of food safety if the chicken has been chlorine washed.

Eh? Isn't that a bit like saying safety catches will make people more blasé about handling guns? Or that having parachutes will make pilots less careful?

IUFG
07-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Eh? Isn't that a bit like saying safety catches will make people more blasé about handling guns? Or that having parachutes will make pilots less careful?

Bit of a 'homework excuse' isn't it?

Not sure there really is an issue with it at all.

Sir C
07-26-2017, 10:25 AM

:hehe: Of course the RFC's refusal to issue parachutes in WWl was based on the belief that pilots would too easily abandon their aircraft...

Burney
07-26-2017, 10:27 AM
:hehe: Of course the RFC's refusal to issue parachutes in WWl was based on the belief that pilots would too easily abandon their aircraft...

Oh, yes. Well that was a question of moral fibre, of course. Quite right. Can't have chaps jumping out just because they're a little bit on fire, can you?

Pokster
07-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Do you imagine our domestic welfare standards are any better? After all, there's a reason why we have a higher risk of getting salmonella from eating our non-chlorinated chickens.

Allegedly our ar e a lot better.. or so they implied on the news last night

World's End Stella
07-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Out of interest, would you say chicken has more or less flavor then a white fish such as turbot or John Dory which, as you know, are quite expensive and highly valued by chefs around Europe.

Burney
07-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Out of interest, would you say chicken has more or less flavor then a white fish such as turbot or John Dory which, as you know, are quite expensive and highly valued by chefs around Europe.

Chicken is inherently bland, while turbot is delicately flavoured. Also, chicken has a far less toothsome texture.

World's End Stella
07-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Chicken is inherently bland, while turbot is delicately flavoured. Also, chicken has a far less toothsome texture.

Brown chicken stock is a wonderful base for many sauces and is gloriously flavoured, of chicken. Turbot, whilst my favourite fish, is just fish. It tastes like mild fish, that's it.

I like fish but white fish is effectively just a transport for whatever sauce you put with it. Chicken, when cooked properly and served with an appropriate sauce, can be quite delicious.