PDA

View Full Version : Chap in the Grauniad reckons we're keeping Alexis because of

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 11:33 AM
"long-term financial thinking" :-(

Pat Vegas
07-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Sounds like the sort of thing Wenger would say.

But if we do keep him good on the club imo.

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Sounds like the sort of thing Wenger would say.

But if we do keep him good on the club imo.

Apparently we've little choice; he won't officially ask to leave and the cost of replacing him would be more than his price. Even if he goes for free next year, if he helps us get back into the Champions League immediately, it will've been worth it.

Damn all long-term financial thinking bástards; I thought it was because he was a great player!

Peter
07-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Apparently we've little choice; he won't officially ask to leave and the cost of replacing him would be more than his price. Even if he goes for free next year, if he helps us get back into the Champions League immediately, it will've been worth it.

Damn all long-term financial thinking bástards; I thought it was because he was a great player!

They have to give the impression that they are prepared to keep him. They may even have to be prepared to keep him.

The problem is, he is a bit of a ****. Isn't he just going to be a problem all season?

A silly fee would probably be accepted. As Kyle Walker is worth 45 million plus, I don't even know what a silly fee is but it would have to be 60-70 million at least.

Monty92
07-20-2017, 12:34 PM
They have to give the impression that they are prepared to keep him. They may even have to be prepared to keep him.

The problem is, he is a bit of a ****. Isn't he just going to be a problem all season?

A silly fee would probably be accepted. As Kyle Walker is worth 45 million plus, I don't even know what a silly fee is but it would have to be 60-70 million at least.

I feel like I'm on a different planet when it comes to the way people talk about Alexis. Yes, he showed a bit of a habit of getting in a huff last season, but his effort in every single game is absolutely unbelievable. He is a total monster in every single second of every single game. Even during his so-called bad period of the season his effort levels didn't drop.

Call me mad, but if that's petulance then I wish more of our players were petulant.

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 12:41 PM
I feel like I'm on a different planet when it comes to the way people talk about Alexis. Yes, he showed a bit of a habit of getting in a huff last season, but his effort in every single game is absolutely unbelievable. He is a total monster in every single second of every single game. Even during his so-called bad period of the season his effort levels didn't drop.

Call me mad, but if that's petulance then I wish more of our players were petulant.

Well spoken, M. Beautifully put.

Rich
07-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Didn't De Gea have a similar situation at United? I'd be looking at getting him to agree a £200k per week deal (a sizable payrise) with a clause stating that he can leave the club next season if we don't qualify for the CL.

This time next year he'll be a few months short of 30 so won't be worth much cash anyway.

Pokster
07-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Didn't De Gea have a similar situation at United? I'd be looking at getting him to agree a £200k per week deal (a sizable payrise) with a clause stating that he can leave the club next season if we don't qualify for the CL.

This time next year he'll be a few months short of 30 so won't be worth much cash anyway.

Why should he sign that deal..he can either get sold now and earn 5-10% ot he deal as he hasn't asked for a tfr, or get a huge signing on fee next summer... and don't start with the rubbish thast he won't be worth much, he will be 29 and at his prime

Peter
07-20-2017, 12:44 PM

I would also imagine the lack of petulance among the rest of our players is one of the things that sets him off.

I wouldn't expect to see a lack of effort from him. It is more the effect his behaviour might have on others, as well as the constant media attention on the situation.

I would support the club keeping him but I don't think they will.

IUFG
07-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Yes, the current Gonzalo Higuaín (aged 29) transfer stuff makes you absolutely correct. :rolleyes:

Rich
07-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Why should he sign that deal..he can either get sold now and earn 5-10% ot he deal as he hasn't asked for a tfr, or get a huge signing on fee next summer... and don't start with the rubbish thast he won't be worth much, he will be 29 and at his prime

Well he'll have say 2-3 years left at the top. Clearly a 23 year old is worth far more if he has the potential.

Next summer I think you'd be looking at say £30million-£40million. That is a huge sum for an outfield player with just a few years left.

Ash
07-20-2017, 12:47 PM

You speak as if the Alexis Out! crowd was a massive majority, when it isn't. Stillman wrote one of his typically balanced pieces giving both sides of the case the other week.

Rich
07-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Yes, the current Gonzalo Higuaín (aged 29) transfer stuff makes you absolutely correct. :rolleyes:

Chelsea have just signed Morata for £60million. Nobody would pay £80million for a 29 year old unless they are Ronaldo/Messi.

Pokster
07-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Well he'll have say 2-3 years left at the top. Clearly a 23 year old is worth far more if he has the potential.

Next summer I think you'd be looking at say £30million-£40million. That is a huge sum for an outfield player with just a few years left.

so you think by the time he is 31 he will be almost finished??? And people think you know nothing about football :rolleyes:

Rich
07-20-2017, 01:04 PM
so you think by the time he is 31 he will be almost finished??? And people think you know nothing about football :rolleyes:

Just because you think he's worth as much as someone like Mbappe/Lukaku... He isn't. Who is the most expensive 30 year old in football history. The record transfer for a player over 30 is £23million.

http://talksport.com/football/golden-oldies-10-most-expensive-players-over-age-30-revealed-150624151978?p=9

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Just because you think he's worth as much as someone like Mbappe/Lukaku... He isn't. Who is the most expensive 30 year old in football history. The record transfer for a player over 30 is £23million.

http://talksport.com/football/golden-oldies-10-most-expensive-players-over-age-30-revealed-150624151978?p=9

Cheers for the link, R. Interesting.

Pokster
07-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Very interesting... problem is Sanchez will be 29 next summer so your link has nothing to do with it... also has nothing to do with how fees are going this summer

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 01:23 PM
You speak as if the Alexis Out! crowd was a massive majority, when it isn't. Stillman wrote one of his typically balanced pieces giving both sides of the case the other week.

It seems to be at least a significant minority on the internets though #freeAlexis

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Very interesting... problem is Sanchez will be 29 next summer so your link has nothing to do with it... also has nothing to do with how fees are going this summer

He's played every game of football in the world though, for about the past ten years. I also read somewhere that Wenger seems to regard 29 as practically the same as 30/31 anyway.

I agree though, somebody in Europe will break that record soon enough.

Ash
07-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Is it up-to-date though? Looks a couple of years old, as it describes Cech as "joining Arsenal".

Ash
07-20-2017, 02:03 PM
It seems to be at least a significant minority on the internets though #freeAlexis

A former AWIMBer who is quite anti-Alexis claimed to me that Mesut actually covers more ground in a match, which I found hard to believe even though Mesut does run further than most people think.

I'll be pleased if Alexis plays for us for another year. Might even win us the league, and if we are playing better as a team he won't feel he has to do everything himself, which imo is the exact thing that polarises opinion about him.

Burney
07-20-2017, 02:09 PM
A former AWIMBer who is quite anti-Alexis claimed to me that Mesut actually covers more ground in a match, which I found hard to believe even though Mesut does run further than most people think.

I'll be pleased if Alexis plays for us for another year. Might even win us the league, and if we are playing better as a team he won't feel he has to do everything himself, which imo is the exact thing that polarises opinion about him.

You've been talking to Nic, then? How is the old fella?

Monty92
07-20-2017, 02:14 PM

"Might even win us the league"?

Blimey, what a difference a couple of months of no football makes.

Ash
07-20-2017, 02:15 PM
You've been talking to Nic, then? How is the old fella?

Not Nic in fact. Haven't seen him for years. Though maybe he's feeling quite vindicated amongst Alexis' more recent critics.

Ash
07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
"Might even win us the league"?

Blimey, what a difference a couple of months of no football makes.

How did you get Monty's login, SW?

We will need to build a functioning midfield, of course, if we are to challenge. And I did say "might". It is a word which covers quite a broad range of possibilities and outcomes. :-)

EDIT: And in the last game of the season we outplayed the champions so ner.

Burney
07-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Not Nic in fact. Haven't seen him for years. Though maybe he's feeling quite vindicated amongst Alexis' more recent critics.

:hehe: I still can't quite believe the meltdown he had when he was discovered to have said something disobliging about an Arsenal player. He went proper tonto. :hehe:

Monty92
07-20-2017, 02:24 PM
How did you get Monty's login, SW?

We will need to build a functioning midfield, of course, if we are to challenge. And I did say "might". It is a word which covers quite a broad range of possibilities and outcomes. :-)

EDIT: And in the last game of the season we outplayed the champions so ner.

Didn't you join the "Wenger deserves cancer" brigade at some point last season? If so, how can you possibly now be countenancing us winning the league? That makes literally no sense...

I fúcking loved the cup final more than I can describe but I can't quite shrug off the feeling that Chelsea basically treated it like the Community Shield :-(

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Yes, the trouble with Mesut is that he tends to cover the wrong sort of ground. For me, the best moment in the Cup final was when he chased back and took Hazard out. It got a big cheer too precisely because for a millionaire, number 10 stranieri, so to speak, in a team that's struggled, he doesn't do enough of it. His status within our team and our club demands it and supporters and his team-mates too probably, recognise it.

As for Alexis, losing him this Summer, for practically any reason at all will not look good. Top Four will be just as, if not even more, complicated next season, let alone the title.

World's End Stella
07-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Didn't you join the "Wenger deserves cancer" brigade at some point last season? If so, how can you possibly now be countenancing us winning the league? That makes literally no sense...

I fúcking loved the cup final more than I can describe but I can't quite shrug off the feeling that Chelsea basically treated it like the Community Shield :-(

He did qualify it with building a functioning midfield, which will be quite a feat (especially with that useless c*nt Ramsey in it). :-)

And yes, I make you right about Chelsea. That's the only way I can explain why their central midfield completely dominated us in the league but seemed utterly absent that day. Kante in particular.

Just Trent
07-20-2017, 02:45 PM

I want us to keep him purely on a sporting level. The whole 'new era' of having Ozil and Sanchez, can't end before we've given them a really good striker to play with. It's taken 4-5 years to finally land one. At least give us a season to see Ozil,Alexis and Lacazette together. It's the least the club can do, after subjecting us to another two years of Arsene :-)

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Sort of like us in the semi-final in '91, do you mean? Anyway, we'll find out once and for all who's the better team on Saturday :-\

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 02:49 PM
He did qualify it with building a functioning midfield, which will be quite a feat (especially with that useless c*nt Ramsey in it). :-)

And yes, I make you right about Chelsea. That's the only way I can explain why their central midfield completely dominated us in the league but seemed utterly absent that day. Kante in particular.

If this Lacazette chap is actually any good, Ramsey could be player of the year next season.

Pokster
07-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Not the fact we played a completely different formation in the cup final :rolleyes:

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 02:56 PM
I want us to keep him purely on a sporting level. The whole 'new era' of having Ozil and Sanchez, can't end before we've given them a really good striker to play with. It's taken 4-5 years to finally land one. At least give us a season to see Ozil,Alexis and Lacazette together. It's the least the club can do, after subjecting us to another two years of Arsene :-)

Right, that's the way to think of it.

redgunamo
07-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Not the fact we played a completely different formation in the cup final :rolleyes:

Football is about players, not formations #clough

Ash
07-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Erm, no. I probably said that then might be the time for him to call it a day which is something quite different to what you have described there. Something happened to stop the spell of distaster which drastically improved us, and will improve us next season, I believe. Now he needs to fix the midfield.

Yeah, right. There's no way would Chelsea want to win the double because obviously they think like you do - that the FA Cup is not a trophy.

World's End Stella
07-20-2017, 03:06 PM
If this Lacazette chap is actually any good, Ramsey could be player of the year next season.

You think he'll push so far forward that he'll be there to tap in Laca's rebounds, red? :-(

Peter
07-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Or he could spend pretty much the entire season at the intersection of injured and useless. Like he does every season.

Rich
07-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Or he could spend pretty much the entire season at the intersection of injured and useless. Like he does every season.

I think you'll find that Aaron Ramsey won us the FA Cup. Twice.

Peter
07-20-2017, 03:59 PM
I think you'll find that Aaron Ramsey won us the FA Cup. Twice.

Yes. The first time was during his one good season (he missed four months of it through injury).

We don't want someone to win us the FA Cup every four years. We want someone who can play in midfield every week.