PDA

View Full Version : People have suggested I grow up in the past.

Pat Vegas
07-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Yet adults going mental about Dr Who is popular which is a kids show imo.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Well, quite. Those suggesting that have to have some credibiity in that area themselves, otherwise you can simply tell them they can get stuffed, I think.

"Do as I say, not as I do" simply doesn't work.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 10:56 AM

I suspect we could all do with growing up a little from time to time.

We live in an age, of course, when adults admit, without shame, to playing childrens' games on computers :shrug:

Burney
07-19-2017, 11:01 AM

We live in an age, of course, when adults admit, without shame, to playing childrens' games on computers :shrug:

When someone starts discussing their 'gaming' activities, it does always feel a bit to me as though they are describing their masturbatory antics. I suppose it's the fantastical and solitary nature of the activity that does it.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 11:15 AM

I don't think it's a matter of not doing childish things. It's much more about accepting that there will be consequences and that you will be responsible for them and then making your decisions based on that understanding. People simply make better choices that way. For everyone.

If you can be a satisfactory husband and raise a decent family and, indeed, afford gas for the wife's new two-seater as well as all the other sundries of a life, whilst, or even through, playing games then fair enough, imo.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 11:16 AM
When someone starts discussing their 'gaming' activities, it does always feel a bit to me as though they are describing their masturbatory antics. I suppose it's the fantastical and solitary nature of the activity that does it.

As the mobile phone is replacing the cigarette, cigar or pipe as the handheld accessory of choice?

Burney
07-19-2017, 11:22 AM
As the mobile phone is replacing the cigarette, cigar or pipe as the handheld accessory of choice?

Are you suggesting that masturbation is going out of fashion? :yikes:

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Are you suggesting that masturbation is going out of fashion? :yikes:

gp. It must be more in fashion than ever nowadays.

Ash
07-19-2017, 12:28 PM

If growing up means being a curmudgeonly old fart I can see the attraction of not doing so, tbf. Nothing more absurd and childish than 22 blokes chasing a pigs bladder around a field, after all.

Ash
07-19-2017, 12:31 PM
People have suggested I grow up in the past.

Would be a bit more realistic to suggest that you grow up in the future tbh. Not much we can do about the past.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:31 PM
If growing up means being a curmudgeonly old fart I can see the attraction of not doing so, tbf. Nothing more absurd and childish than 22 blokes chasing a pigs bladder around a field, after all.

Unless there's billions of dollars involved. It's perfectly grown up then.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Nonsense. Football is a game of endeavour, skill, strength, speed, courage, dedication, power, subtelty, balletic grace. To watch a football match is to see men at the peak of physical, moral and mental exertion.

Fiddling with the buttons to make pretendy people move on a screen is, well, a bit silly.

Ash
07-19-2017, 12:37 PM
To watch a football match is to see men at the peak of physical, moral and mental exertion.

:hehe: You didn't see Arsenal much then last season.

Did you find that Flight Sim in the end btw? The one for your friend.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Would be a bit more realistic to suggest that you grow up in the future tbh. Not much we can do about the past.

That's half the trouble. Rather than this shrugging of the shoulders and saying "Bof!", what we can do is recognise our mistakes and try to rectify them as best we can while promising ourselves and everybody else that we won't make them again.

The modern fashion though, of course, is to continue behaving, and believing, in a way that we have demonstrated does not work. We don't admit our failure, we merely blame others for it; we take no responsibilty for it ourselves #snowflakes

Sir C
07-19-2017, 12:40 PM
:hehe: You didn't see Arsenal much then last season.

Did you find that Flight Sim in the end btw? The one for your friend.

Ha! No, you see, there's the thing. I never went anywhere near such a flight sim, for I am not a child :shrug: (Although there are professional flight simulator packages which are useful for practising instrument procedures, but that's work, not play.)

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Ha! No, you see, there's the thing. I never went anywhere near such a flight sim, for I am not a child :shrug: (Although there are professional flight simulator packages which are useful for practising instrument procedures, but that's work, not play.)

Oh, no. I'm not having that. It's all the same thing nowadays. Or anyway, work is play, in that it is not serious and involves no real sacrifice.

Ash
07-19-2017, 12:45 PM
That's half the trouble. Rather than this shrugging of the shoulders and saying "Bof!", what we can do is recognise our mistakes and try to rectify them as best we can while promising ourselves and everybody else that we won't make them again.

The modern fashion though, of course, is to continue behaving, and believing, in a way that we have demonstrated does not work. We don't admit our failure, we merely blame others for it; we take no responsibilty for it ourselves #snowflakes

And there is Arsenal in a nutshell.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Oh, no. I'm not having that. It's all the same thing nowadays. Or anyway, work is play, in that it is not serious and involves no real sacrifice.

Well flying a non-precision approach down to minima with 300 people down the back is probably quite serious, no?

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Well flying a non-precision approach down to minima with 300 people down the back is probably quite serious, no?

Surely not, if you enjoy flying and they pay you for it?

Sir C
07-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Surely not, if you enjoy flying and they pay you for it?

You can enjoy it as much as you like, whilst banking your money, but that's not going to reduce the misery of the relatives left behind after you've forgotten to set QFE and piled into the ILS.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:56 PM
And there is Arsenal in a nutshell.

Right. Perhaps that's why we are so popular amongst a "certain sort", it all makes perfect sense to them.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 12:57 PM
You can enjoy it as much as you like, whilst banking your money, but that's not going to reduce the misery of the relatives left behind after you've forgotten to set QFE and piled into the ILS.

Yeah, like anybody cares about that except shrinks and television documentary-makers.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Yeah, like anybody cares about that except shrinks and television documentary-makers.

Well the dead people might care, if they had a split second to realise they were about to die. Their relatives will probably care. The crew's relatives will probably care.

I demand you acknowledge that killing 300 people is a serious business without being gnomic. Otherwise I shall fight you.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Well the dead people might care, if they had a split second to realise they were about to die. Their relatives will probably care. The crew's relatives will probably care.

I demand you acknowledge that killing 300 people is a serious business without being gnomic. Otherwise I shall fight you.

No, in my business people are killed. You are talking about people merely dying; **** happens.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 01:05 PM
No, in my business people are killed. You are talking about people merely dying; **** happens.

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

Burney
07-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

You didn't expect anything else, did you?

Sir C
07-19-2017, 01:11 PM
You didn't expect anything else, did you?

D'you know, just for a moment, I allowed myself to hope for a chink* of reason. :-(

Not in that sense, naturally.

Burney
07-19-2017, 01:14 PM
D'you know, just for a moment, I allowed myself to hope for a chink* of reason. :-(

Not in that sense, naturally.

Red is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma*.

*I said 'Enigma'

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!

In my book, caring about everyone is merely an excuse for not actually caring about anyone. Are you some sort of leftie?

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 01:15 PM

*I said 'Enigma'

You're too kind, I'm sure.

Sir C
07-19-2017, 01:16 PM

*I said 'Enigma'

You appreciate you have just called him a communist?

I've just defended the British Empire under a Guardian article about the evils of the British in India. :hehe: There's going to be incoming, isn't there?

Burney
07-19-2017, 01:22 PM
You appreciate you have just called him a communist?

I've just defended the British Empire under a Guardian article about the evils of the British in India. :hehe: There's going to be incoming, isn't there?

Well obviously. Any suggestion of nuance on the question of Empire is still strictly verboten as far as lefties are concerned. Interestingly, the white lefties are often the most vehement on the subject.

Peter
07-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Well obviously. Any suggestion of nuance on the question of Empire is still strictly verboten as far as lefties are concerned. Interestingly, the white lefties are often the most vehement on the subject.

Not me. I am a white leftie but I find the British Empire fascinating. It is also difficult to argue that it was wholly negative if you spend time in Singapore, Malaysia, India. The work of Raffles in particular exemplified the most enlightened of its era.

Obviously, there were unpleasant episodes, particularly in India, but the british presence is still felt there today and not in a wholly negative way.

redgunamo
07-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Of course. They know they're onto a good thing :nod: