PDA

View Full Version : In the last 30 minutes I have taken two phone calls

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:23 PM
The first asked me to sit on a disciplinary panel for two students who attended a rugby club function 'blacked up' as Venus and Serena Williams.

The second asked me to visit a potential new partner. Tottenham ****ing Hotspur.

I am not answering the phone again today. :mad:

Sir C
07-18-2017, 02:26 PM
The first asked me to sit on a disciplinary panel for two students who attended a rugby club function 'blacked up' as Venus and Serena Williams.

The second asked me to visit a potential new partner. Tottenham ****ing Hotspur.

I am not answering the phone again today. :mad:

What did they do during the function that warrants disciplinary procedures, though?

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:28 PM
What did they do during the function that warrants disciplinary procedures, though?

Took a photo of themselves, put it on snapchat and the press got hold of it.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 02:29 PM

Yes, but doing what? Pissing in a fountain? Vomiting in the punch? What?

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Yes, but doing what? Pissing in a fountain? Vomiting in the punch? What?

Nothing that I know of. Will let you know once I see the allegations.

Burney
07-18-2017, 02:38 PM

A clearcut case of 'boys will be boys', p. Tell them we were all young once, but not to be silly arses in future, wink, tousle their hair and send them on their way.

This is how things ought to be done.

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
A clearcut case of 'boys will be boys', p. Tell them we were all young once, but not to be silly arses in future, wink, tousle their hair and send them on their way.

This is how things ought to be done.

Sorry, but they are for the high jump. I think criminal charges are inevitable- racially aggravated public order. Two years.

Burney
07-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Sorry, but they are for the high jump. I think criminal charges are inevitable- racially aggravated public order. Two years.

Good Lord, p! What is the world coming to if a chap can't black up and pop on a tennis skirt and bra without being accused of racism?

It's this bloody social media business. Bloody lethal. I'd hate to be young today.

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Good Lord, p! What is the world coming to if a chap can't black up and pop on a tennis skirt and bra without being accused of racism?

It's this bloody social media business. Bloody lethal. I'd hate to be young today.

It will be a slap on the wrist I would hope. The more worrying thing is why nobody (including their mates) thought to point out that this could get them in a spot of bother.

Burney
07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
It will be a slap on the wrist I would hope. The more worrying thing is why nobody (including their mates) thought to point out that this could get them in a spot of bother.

It does rather suggest that some of your charges there may not be exactly of the brightest, doesn't it? I'm trying to imagine how, during what were presumably hours of preparation devising, acquiring and applying the costume, it wouldn't occur to at least one of them that this sort of thing hasn't been acceptable for about 25 years?

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:03 PM
It does rather suggest that some of your charges there may not be exactly of the brightest, doesn't it? I'm trying to imagine how, during what were presumably hours of preparation devising, acquiring and applying the costume, it wouldn't occur to at least one of them that this sort of thing hasn't been acceptable for about 25 years?

Some ten years ago I attended a chum's 40 birthday party. (Thon Yorkshireman T, you know). It was a fancy dress party. I was quite pleased with my Rhett Butler.

When I walked in and saw him dressed as Samuel L Jackson, with afro wig and boot polish, I almost fainted.

Rich
07-18-2017, 03:08 PM

But why isn't it acceptable? I am presuming that they weren't derogatory and therefore were just dressing as two very famous sportswomen. They're not saying that someone's race makes them any more/less of a person.

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Some ten years ago I attended a chum's 40 birthday party. (Thon Yorkshireman T, you know). It was a fancy dress party. I was quite pleased with my Rhett Butler.

When I walked in and saw him dressed as Samuel L Jackson, with afro wig and boot polish, I almost fainted.

I remember the pictures - of you and v. You grew a moustache for it.

I'm trying to imagine t blacked up thusly. I'm struggling, I must admit.

I would hope nobody took any pictures and put them up on social media, though. I know things are different for northerners, but not that different, surely?

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Its quite difficult to understand why they would think they could do it without getting in trouble. It is going to be a very tedious hearing indeed.

Burney
But why isn't it acceptable? I am presuming that they weren't derogatory and therefore were just dressing as two very famous sportswomen. They're not saying that someone's race makes them any more/less of a person.

I hardly think two hairy-arsed rugby players dressing as female tennis players could be taken as a compliment, r.

Burney
Its quite difficult to understand why they would think they could do it without getting in trouble. It is going to be a very tedious hearing indeed.

Will there be someone calling for their heads? I'm imagining a white lesbian.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:11 PM
I remember the pictures - of you and v. You grew a moustache for it.

I'm trying to imagine t blacked up thusly. I'm struggling, I must admit.

I would hope nobody took any pictures and put them up on social media, though. I know things are different for northerners, but not that different, surely?

He's hardly a northerner any more, ensconsed in leafiest Surrey stockbroker belt. I think it was just prior to the whole social media thing,s o he got away with it. One day I will ask him what prompted this lapse of reason.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:11 PM

It evokes decades of racism in the entertainment industry where blacked up white people were preferred to, you know, black people.

It is also one of the many reasons why It Aint Half Hot Mum is no longer considered acceptable for TV.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:12 PM
It evokes decades of racism in the entertainment industry where blacked up white people were preferred to, you know, black people.

It is also one of the many reasons why It Aint Half Hot Mum is no longer considered acceptable for TV.

"Qveen Victoria bloody good bloke!"

"Mr lah-di-dah Gunner Graham! You is a poof!"

Classic stuff.

Ash
07-18-2017, 03:13 PM
He's hardly a northerner any more, ensconsed in leafiest Surrey stockbroker belt.

So is WES, tbf. Are you suggesting he has naturalised too?

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:14 PM
So is WES, tbf. Are you suggesting he has naturalised too?

wes is a foreign, and still behaves as a foreign, bawling and sweating like some sort of demented thing all over the place.

My chum would never behave is such a fashion.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Will there be someone calling for their heads? I'm imagining a white lesbian.

Oh yes, I would imagine so. You imagine correctly.

Rich
07-18-2017, 03:16 PM

But by definition it is not racist at all. In the same way that a non-white person dressing as a white person during a fancy dress party wouldn't be racist.

I'm afraid I just don't get it. I doubt they are of an age to appreciate what you are saying there.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Classic stuff.

It is, as you say, classic. Just not funny.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:18 PM
But by definition it is not racist at all. In the same way that a non-white person dressing as a white person during a fancy dress party wouldn't be racist.

I'm afraid I just don't get it. I doubt they are of an age to appreciate what you are saying there.

How is it not racist 'by definition'??

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Oh yes, I would imagine so. You imagine correctly.

Oh, marvellous. I do enjoy these insights into the groves of academe, p. It reminds one of the Wilt books one has read.

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:19 PM
It is, as you say, classic. Just not funny.

Windsor Davies was quite funny. "YOU IS ALL POOFS!" "Ohdearhowsadnevermind" :hehe:

Ash
07-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Classic stuff.

Your favourite Arsenal manager.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Oh, marvellous. I do enjoy these insights into the groves of academe, p. It reminds one of the Wilt books one has read.

I re-read some of that stuff last year. What, in the 70s, was hyperbolic satire is now just normality :-(

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:21 PM

London is a very different picture but elsewhere academia is very, very white. Plenty of young EU staff and some Asian in certain disciplines but hardly any black people.

Many, many lesbians. They pretty much run the HE sector- apart from Oxford and Cambridge, obviously.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:23 PM

Eh? As a child I used to spend time backstage with the Black & White Minstrels. Geoff Love, what a musician! But I digress. Explain to me how the Black & White Minstrels could possibly be constued as racist? They were celebrating southern American black culture, for Christ's sake!

You people would see racism in anything, I swear.

Ash
07-18-2017, 03:23 PM
How is it not racist 'by definition'??

Careful, Peter. You are tangling with one of the country's finest minds. He went to UCL, you know. Probably deserves at least four votes.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Windsor Davies was quite funny. "YOU IS ALL POOFS!" "Ohdearhowsadnevermind" :hehe:

Yes. What shocked me is that they made 8 series of it.

8!

Sir C

The Indian* fella was hysterical.

*possibly not Indian.

Burney

I'm not keen on saying whether things are or aren't racist, tbh, since the word has become meaningless. However, the clear intention is to lampoon and ridicule. That's fine, but when you pop the highly explosive ingredient of race into that particular mix, you're skating on pretty thin ice. If they didn't realise that, they're fücking idiots.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Eh? As a child I used to spend time backstage with the Black & White Minstrels. Geoff Love, what a musician! But I digress. Explain to me how the Black & White Minstrels could possibly be constued as racist? They were celebrating southern American black culture, for Christ's sake!

You people would see racism in anything, I swear.

I suppose because the Black and White Minstrels were all white.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:26 PM
I'm not keen on saying whether things are or aren't racist, tbh, since the word has become meaningless. However, the clear intention is to lampoon and ridicule. That's fine, but when you pop the highly explosive ingredient of race into that particular mix, you're skating on pretty thin ice. If they didn't realise that, they're fücking idiots.

Pretty much, yes.

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Well, they were Welsh. I'm not sure that counts as white.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Careful, Peter. You are tangling with one of the country's finest minds. He went to UCL, you know. Probably deserves at least four votes.

I used to work at UCL. Worst job I ever had. Wall to wall buffoons.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:28 PM

So being white makes you racist? Interesting theory. Or is it pretending to be black that makes you racist?

That must mean that blokes who pretend to be women are sexist. No, hold on, they actually are women, apparently.

The fúcking Stalinists have made so many rules they're contradicting themselves. Soon we'll all have to be sent to the re-education kamps.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:29 PM
So being white makes you racist? Interesting theory. Or is it pretending to be black that makes you racist?

That must mean that blokes who pretend to be women are sexist. No, hold on, they actually are women, apparently.

The fúcking Stalinists have made so many rules they're contradicting themselves. Soon we'll all have to be sent to the re-education kamps.

Stupid boy.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Stupid boy.

Here we go. Here is the authoritarianism and the oppression from Comrade Commissar! I'll go and pack for the gulag.

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Your favourite Arsenal manager.

He was able to dress himself properly, he does have that over Arsene.

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Stupid boy.

THAT WAS DAD'S ARMY! STOP GETTING WWII-BASED CROFT AND PERRY SITCOMS WRONG! :furious:

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:33 PM
He was able to dress himself properly, he does have that over Arsene.

Well, he dressed like a man who would sell you a very nice used Capri. I'll give him that.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
THAT WAS DAD'S ARMY! STOP GETTING WWII-BASED CROFT AND PERRY SITCOMS WRONG! :furious:

I'm embracing the genre as a whole.

I can hardly say 'you is a poofter'.

Peter
07-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Well, he dressed like a man who would sell you a very nice used Capri. I'll give him that.

Exactly. A very nice one.

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Exactly. A very nice one.

Brass buttons, navy blazer, neatly-pressed grey slacks, though. It's a bit Essex golf club, isn't it?

redgunamo
07-18-2017, 03:45 PM

This sort of thing gives darkies a bad name, imo :-(

Sir C
07-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Brass buttons, navy blazer, neatly-pressed grey slacks, though. It's a bit Essex golf club, isn't it?

Not at all. It's timeless and never inappropriate. :partridge:

Burney
07-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Not at all. It's timeless and never inappropriate. :partridge:

Mind you, I shudder to think what sort of thing they might wear in an Essex golf club these days. :-(

Rich
07-18-2017, 04:12 PM

But I do not believe that their intention was to lampoon based on race. If it was, then clearly it is not acceptable. However, I suspect that it was more a case of having a bit of fun. What if they had dressed as Bob Marley?

Peter
07-18-2017, 06:39 PM
But I do not believe that their intention was to lampoon based on race. If it was, then clearly it is not acceptable. However, I suspect that it was more a case of having a bit of fun. What if they had dressed as Bob Marley?

Then at least they wouldn't be in trouble for cross dressing as well, which is also totally unacceptable as it may offend those of dubious gender/sexual orientation/whatever else some **** chooses to be awkward about in order to feel special.