PDA

View Full Version : Bairstow just holed out at mid-on when we were 84-4 chasing four hundred and plenty.

Burney
07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
This is the man Rich reckons should open the batting :hehe:

Ginger twát

Rich
07-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Ginger twát

I'm not ginger.

Burney
07-17-2017, 01:02 PM
I'm not ginger.

We've only got your word for that.

Norn Iron
07-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Ginger twát

84-4 chasing 400 is a bit like losing the first leg 5-1 to Bayern. He probably just wants it over with.

Peter
07-17-2017, 01:56 PM

Ginger twát

Just read Swann worrying that Jennings and Balance were in such poor nick. I thought both were picked primarily on form??

Ballance needs to go.

Burney
07-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Just read Swann worrying that Jennings and Balance were in such poor nick. I thought both were picked primarily on form??

Ballance needs to go.

They're not in poor form, they just aren't any fūcking good.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:07 PM
They're not in poor form, they just aren't any fūcking good.

That said, Cook's dismissal was ridiculous.

THey had a chance today to show that they can build a test innings. They seem to have accepted defeat instead.

Pretty poor. I would have loved a bat in this situation. Like a dream come true ;)

Burney
07-17-2017, 02:10 PM

THey had a chance today to show that they can build a test innings. They seem to have accepted defeat instead.

Pretty poor. I would have loved a bat in this situation. Like a dream come true ;)

That is the worrying thing. They clearly went in today with no belief that they could stick around and at least make South Africa work for the win. They just didn't know whether they wanted a shīt or a haircut, played stupid, inappropriate shots and gave their wickets away.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:16 PM
That is the worrying thing. They clearly went in today with no belief that they could stick around and at least make South Africa work for the win. They just didn't know whether they wanted a shīt or a haircut, played stupid, inappropriate shots and gave their wickets away.

Where is the pride, even if it is personal and selfish? At least play for your average.

You would think they would see it as a great chance to prove all the criticism wrong. Instead they have proved it is 100% correct.
Where is the opener who batted with a broken hand in India? Give him a go.

Burney
07-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Where is the pride, even if it is personal and selfish? At least play for your average.

You would think they would see it as a great chance to prove all the criticism wrong. Instead they have proved it is 100% correct.
Where is the opener who batted with a broken hand in India? Give him a go.

They do give every impression of being a side who, if anything doesn't go their way, will simply give up because it's too hard. Too many players in that side who expect to be able to leave the hard yards to others (Cook, Root, Ali). And if those others don't come off, they seem to think that's a good excuse to give up.

Sir Geoffrey is FEWMIN!

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
They do give every impression of being a side who, if anything doesn't go their way, will simply give up because it's too hard. Too many players in that side who expect to be able to leave the hard yards to others (Cook, Root, Ali). And if those others don't come off, they seem to think that's a good excuse to give up.

Sir Geoffrey is FEWMIN!

I can understand wanting the day off. I cant understand not wanting to bat for as long as you can. How can you not want to bat? Its the best feeling in the world

Burney
07-17-2017, 02:30 PM
I can understand wanting the day off. I cant understand not wanting to bat for as long as you can. How can you not want to bat? Its the best feeling in the world

:nod: Let's be honest, everything in cricket except batting is rubbish. It's the only bit worth turning up for.

Ash
07-17-2017, 02:35 PM
:nod: Let's be honest, everything in cricket except batting is rubbish. It's the only bit worth turning up for.

Oooh, I bet you wouldn't dare have said that most of cricket is rubbish if Jorge were here.

I expect you're just saying that as Rich is about.

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Sir Geoffrey is FEWMIN!
I do love how you love Moeen, b

Burney
07-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Oooh, I bet you wouldn't dare have said that most of cricket is rubbish if Jorge were here.

I expect you're just saying that as Rich is about.

Oh, I only mean from a playing point of view. Fielding is shït and I can't believe bowling can actually be enjoyable - not that I do it myself, of course.

Burney
07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
I do love how you love Moeen, b

He's an elegant batsman and has made a lot of vital knocks in tricky circumstances. He also takes wickets. He has my respect as a cricketer.

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 02:53 PM
He's an elegant batsman and has made a lot of vital knocks in tricky circumstances. He also takes wickets. He has my respect as a cricketer.

:nod: Hopefully cast off any aspersions that he is a bit of a luxury in the team

Burney
07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
:nod: Hopefully cast off any aspersions that he is a bit of a luxury in the team

If you want to look at luxuries in that side, I'd say a guy with 100+ wickets and 2000+ runs (usually batting with the tail) isn't where I'd start.

I can think of four players who need to go and none of them is Ali. I also think young Stokes might want to find a few performances pretty damn quickly.

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 03:05 PM
If you want to look at luxuries in that side, I'd say a guy with 100+ wickets and 2000+ runs (usually batting with the tail) isn't where I'd start.

I can think of four players who need to go and none of them is Ali. I also think young Stokes might want to find a few performances pretty damn quickly.
I would swap Stokes and Moeen in the batting order for a start

Burney
07-17-2017, 03:10 PM
I would swap Stokes and Moeen in the batting order for a start

Definitely. Although I'm not sure I wouldn't put Moeen up where Bairstow is.

Peter
07-17-2017, 03:50 PM

Anybody who enjoys fielding is a ****ing weirdo. Its the thing you have to do to get a bat.

Bowlers are just people who are **** at batting. But I like them. I couldn't bat without them (apart from bowling machines and that is a bit boring)

Rich
07-17-2017, 03:54 PM

You've clearly never pinned a batsman back with a sustained spell of short pitched bowling, only to pitch one up and watch the hesitant fool poke at a fuller one that nibbles away off the pitch to be snaffled at first slip. Bliss. :cloud9:

Peter
07-17-2017, 04:00 PM
You've clearly never pinned a batsman back with a sustained spell of short pitched bowling, only to pitch one up and watch the hesitant fool poke at a fuller one that nibbles away off the pitch to be snaffled at first slip. Bliss. :cloud9:

Mundane left arm spin doesn't lend itself to short pitched bowling unfortunately ;)

I did once bowl three maidens in a row only to be called a 'boring ****' by my captain ;)

Burney
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Mundane left arm spin doesn't lend itself to short pitched bowling unfortunately ;)

I did once bowl three maidens in a row only to be called a 'boring ****' by my captain ;)

I'm a shít bowler, but did once find myself on a hat-trick despite bowling trundling slow-medium. First bloke nicked off, second was trapped in front. Third ball, I bowled a rank long-hop and was carted for four. Universal order was restored.

Even then, I thought bowling was shîte.

Rich
07-17-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm a shít bowler, but did once find myself on a hat-trick despite bowling trundling slow-medium. First bloke nicked off, second was trapped in front. Third ball, I bowled a rank long-hop and was carted for four. Universal order was restored.

Oh, B! What a shame. You clearly let the pressure get to you.

Peter
07-17-2017, 04:15 PM

I was a great net bowler. Everybody loved facing me. A british spinner (no spin), I once had a convincing lbw appeal against a left hander turned down because the umpire said 'it would have needed to turn and, lets face it, I've been watching you bowl' ;)

Rich
07-17-2017, 04:18 PM
I was a great net bowler. Everybody loved facing me. A british spinner (no spin), I once had a convincing lbw appeal against a left hander turned down because the umpire said 'it would have needed to turn and, lets face it, I've been watching you bowl' ;)

I'm sure you have a lovely flight, though. And that's more important than how much it turns, after all.

Peter
07-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm sure you have a lovely flight, though. And that's more important than how much it turns, after all.

Nah, I just don't like it. I like a bowl in the nets but in matches it was horrible. There is always some aussie **** who wants to whack the ball straight back at you. ****ers. If I am going to have a cricket ball flying at me I want a ****ing bat in my hand.

redgunamo
07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
84-4 chasing 400 is a bit like losing the first leg 5-1 to Bayern. He probably just wants it over with.

I certainly think I understand that view.

redgunamo
07-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Understand that view too.

redgunamo
07-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Sir Geoffrey is FEWMIN!

I do hope he has never watched the Arsenal play :-(

redgunamo
08-28-2017, 05:33 PM

Thinking about it though, if you're a professional player with all that money you make and the great life you have, why on earth would you want to bat all day; surely you could find better things to do, things which have rather alot less aggro attached, from supporters and social media and such.

Imagine being the thirtieth player on the Arsenal squad list. Perfect life. You turn up to train every day, you play a bit of football with the lads, a little gym work (highly tedious, of course, but many people love it) and then a spot of lunch. Knock off at four. There's no hassle because nobody knows who you are. There's no Montys jumping out at you demanding selfies, for example. And no trips to Elland Road and no forty thousand Yorkshiremen bantering you off. Nobody keying your flash new car because you had a bad game at Spurs. You also have a decent house, all paid off quickly, with all mod cons, the best holidays and even if you never get another pro contract, you walk away from the game practically made for life or just meander down the leagues.

I'm guessing this all applies to professional cricketers just the same.

Ash
08-28-2017, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing this all applies to professional cricketers just the same.

All true, but I don't know if professional cricketers are on the Arsenal payroll.