PDA

View Full Version : So Alexis wants Champions League football

Monty92
07-17-2017, 08:59 AM
So much for 4th place being a waste of time

Burney
07-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Balls. If we were in the CL, he'd use a different excuse as to why he's going to fúck off. :shrug:

Monty92
07-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Balls. If we were in the CL, he'd use a different excuse as to why he's going to fúck off. :shrug:

Possibly, but not certain. And less certain than if we were in the CL.

Burney
07-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Possibly, but not certain. And less certain than if we were in the CL.

We've been in the CL for 18 years and been fúcked over by an endless stream of players regardless. Why anyone would still give credence to the 'I want Champion's League football' bòllocks I don't know.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
We've been in the CL for 18 years and been fúcked over by an endless stream of players regardless. Why anyone would still give credence to the 'I want Champion's League football' bòllocks I don't know.

But that was when we weren't able to get close to the kind of wages other clubs paid.

We've not lost anyone since we were minted.

Burney
07-17-2017, 09:26 AM
But that was when we weren't able to get close to the kind of wages other clubs paid.

We've not lost anyone since we were minted.

We've not really had any major contracts coming up for renewal since we were minted, either. Now we do and - guess what? - same old, same old.

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 09:45 AM

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11806/10860926/alexandre-lacazette-wants-chmapions-league-football-if-he-leaves-lyon-in-the-summer

:shrug:

Ash
07-17-2017, 09:48 AM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11806/10860926/alexandre-lacazette-wants-chmapions-league-football-if-he-leaves-lyon-in-the-summer

Ah, LA. Do you know Oliver Kamm? #Threadjack.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Let's hope Alexis has a similar change of heart

Burney
07-17-2017, 09:52 AM
let's hope alexis has a similar change of heart

loooooooool!

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Ah, LA. Do you know Oliver Kamm? #Threadjack.

I know off him and he used to walk passed my desk several times a day back in olden times. Never knew him more than to say hello to though

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 09:55 AM

He doesn't need a change of heart - I am sure even if he signs a new deal he will want to play Champions League football, as his quote says, he will just realise he will miss out for hopefully just one season

Monty92
07-17-2017, 09:57 AM
He doesn't need a change of heart - I am sure even if he signs a new deal he will want to play Champions League football, as his quote says, he will just realise he will miss out for hopefully just one season

I think that would still technically constitute a change of heart, but I appreciate your sentiment.

Tony C
07-17-2017, 09:58 AM
He could be playing for Spurs next season :-|

Sell him now imo

Rich
07-17-2017, 10:20 AM

I suspect that £275,000 a week will help to smooth things over. Nobody outside of England (that is in the CL) will pay him that much.

I think he'll sign a new deal with a clause stating that if we miss out again, he can go in the summer for x million.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Because if you were an Arsene Wenger sycophant and completely incapable of independent, objective analysis about the man and his performance you would desperately want to believe his 4th place trophy nonsense as without it it is very hard to defend his record since 2005?

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 11:05 AM

:hehe:

He could have posted a link to the Pogba or Ibrahimovic transfers just as easily. And we lost RVP and Fabregas etc because of the wages did we? That's some serious revisionism there Monty old bean.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Why are you having a go at me? It's Sanchez that has implied that at least part of the reason for him wanting to leave is because he wants Champions League football.

If you think he's somehow silly or misguided to place any importance on the so-called 4th place trophy then you should take it up with him :shrug:

:hehe:

He could have posted a link to the Pogba or Ibrahimovic transfers just as easily. And we lost RVP and Fabregas etc because of the wages did we? That's some serious revisionism there Monty old bean.

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Why are you having a go at me? It's Sanchez that has implied that at least part of the reason for him wanting to leave is because he wants Champions League football.

If you think he's somehow silly or misguided to place any importance on the so-called 4th place trophy then you should take it up with him :shrug:
FFS is it not bad enough you harassing Mesut, without encouraging a loud, obnoxious, opinionated Canadian to track down Alexis and shout at him?

Sir C
07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
FFS is it not bad enough you harassing Mesut, without encouraging a loud, obnoxious, opinionated Canadian to track down Alexis and shout at him?

Sweaty, la. You missed out sweaty.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Sweatier than Hendon Gooner?

Sir C
07-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Sweatier than Hendon Gooner?

I don't know Hendon Gooner.

But yes. Far, far sweatier than Hendon (Any) Gooner (human being).

Luis Anaconda
07-17-2017, 12:55 PM

My mistake - I feel ashamed

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
We've not really had any major contracts coming up for renewal since we were minted, either. Now we do and - guess what? - same old, same old.

He wouldn't sign last summer when we had CL football, had had it for 18 years and had no reason to suspect we would lose it.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:04 PM

He also said he wants to win it. Just saying....

Ash
07-17-2017, 02:06 PM
He also said he wants to win it. Just saying....

How many times have City won it?

Yeah, I know their manager has.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 02:06 PM
He wouldn't sign last summer when we had CL football, had had it for 18 years and had no reason to suspect we would lose it.

"No reason to suspect we'd lose it" :hehe:

Shall I do a leeeeetle search of some of your posts of recent years?

Pokster
07-17-2017, 02:09 PM

They do have a lot more chance than us next season

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Quite. If you really want to win it you would need to go to Bayern, Real or Barca. Anywhere else is a risk. I usually read 'I want CL football' as 'I want CL wages'......

So, City it is.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:12 PM
"No reason to suspect we'd lose it" :hehe:

Shall I do a leeeeetle search of some of your posts of recent years?

I didn't think we would miss out at the start of last season. I bet you can't find a single post where I said otherwise.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 02:16 PM

Because the reason you posted that wasn't to inform us of what Sanchez had said, most or all of us were fully aware of what he said (which you misrepresented BTW).

You posted that in an attempt to denigrate those people who criticised Wenger for claiming that 4th place was a trophy.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Because the reason you posted that wasn't to inform us of what Sanchez had said, most or all of us were fully aware of what he said (which you misrepresented BTW).

You posted that in an attempt to denigrate those people who criticised Wenger for claiming that 4th place was a trophy.

It is a trophy.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 02:22 PM
It is a trophy.

*******s it is.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:24 PM
*******s it is.

Its the third best trophy available. (Maybe fourth, as Europa League is better).

Its better than either of the domestic cups. And the Community Shield.

Ash
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Europa League is better.

:nod: Europa League is like two trophies.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Its the third best trophy available. (Maybe fourth, as Europa League is better).

Its better than either of the domestic cups. And the Community Shield.

As an achievement it is surpassed by the league, CL, FA Cup and EL. But it is not a trophy. Not ever.

Peter
07-17-2017, 02:29 PM
:nod: Europa League is like two trophies.

But slightly better than the second trophy (4th place) because you go straight to the group stage. So almost 2.5 trophies.

And we are in it and actually have a chance of winning it! Oh yes :D

Ash
07-17-2017, 02:29 PM
*******s it is.

It really does depend on what you define as a trophy.

For some the FA Cup isn't really a trophy anymore, and it's the oldest cup trophy there is. So if an actual trophy isn't a trophy, what is?

Ash
07-17-2017, 02:30 PM
But slightly better than the second trophy (4th place) because you go straight to the group stage. So almost 2.5 trophies.

And we are in it and actually have a chance of winning it! Oh yes :D

I thought 4th place went straight to group stage these days. :0neandahalftrophies:

barrybueno
07-17-2017, 02:43 PM
It really does depend on what you define as a trophy.

For some the FA Cup isn't really a trophy anymore, and it's the oldest cup trophy there is. So if an actual trophy isn't a trophy, what is?

The Premier League is the only real trophy, the rest are cups and qualification for cups, so there!

Peter
07-17-2017, 03:47 PM
As an achievement it is surpassed by the league, CL, FA Cup and EL. But it is not a trophy. Not ever.

So had we finished fourth and lost the cup final would Sanchez be claiming that he wants to join City because he wants to win the FA Cup?

Nobody in football would choose the FA Cup over CL qualification. Not a manager, not a player, not a director or owner.

Just fans.

Rich
07-17-2017, 03:49 PM
So had we finished fourth and lost the cup final would Sanchez be claiming that he wants to join City because he wants to win the FA Cup?

Nobody in football would choose the FA Cup over CL qualification. Not a manager, not a player, not a director or owner.

Just fans.

Only moronic fans, to be fair.

Monty92
07-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Just fans.

Actually, there may be some occasional exceptions to that rule. For example, had we scraped into the top 4 again last season but been beaten heavily by Chelsea in the Cup final, I'm fairly confident Wenger would have left.

In other words, I reckon Wenger would have plumped for the cup last season (if you'd asked him towards May).

Peter
07-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Actually, there may be some occasional exceptions to that rule. For example, had we scraped into the top 4 again last season but been beaten heavily by Chelsea in the Cup final, I'm fairly confident Wenger would have left.

In other words, I reckon Wenger would have plumped for the cup last season (if you'd asked him towards May).

Oh yes, an occasional exception is fine. Particularly in your example which is from a man who has spent a decade proving the rule.

I loved the first Cup win, I enjoyed the second. The third meant virtually nothing.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Just fans.

Yes, and it's the fans that count, believe it or not. :nod:

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Oh yes, an occasional exception is fine. Particularly in your example which is from a man who has spent a decade proving the rule.

I loved the first Cup win, I enjoyed the second. The third meant virtually nothing.

How sad :-(

Ash
07-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Only moronic fans, to be fair.

As one of your morons I very much enjoyed winning the FA Cup, I must say.

Ash
07-17-2017, 04:04 PM

First cup win was just relief. Second was great but a bit easy (NTTAWWT). Third was very sweet.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I hated beating the highly favoured Chelsea (complete with braying, obnoxious newbie fans) to win the most famous domestic cup competition in the world.

The entire time I sat there going through the club's financial statements dreaming of the impact of a 4th place finish. :rolleyes:

Rich
07-17-2017, 04:11 PM

Oh, I enjoyed them all. But I would swap it for a 4th place finish in a heartbeat. Never mind.

Peter
07-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes, and it's the fans that count, believe it or not. :nod:

If you believe that.......

Peter
07-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I hated beating the highly favoured Chelsea (complete with braying, obnoxious newbie fans) to win the most famous domestic cup competition in the world.

The entire time I sat there going through the club's financial statements dreaming of the impact of a 4th place finish. :rolleyes:

I have to be honest here.....I didn't even watch it.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 04:45 PM
If you believe that.......

You think that the supporters couldn't get Wenger sacked, Peter? Think again.

World's End Stella
07-17-2017, 04:47 PM
I have to be honest here.....I didn't even watch it.

Because you didn't have the opportunity or because you couldn't be bothered?

If the latter, that is desperately sad and I'm not too sure how you could consider yourself an Arsenal supporter if you couldn't be bothered to watch us play Chelsea, the league champions, in an FA Cup final. :shrug:

Peter
07-17-2017, 06:08 PM

I hope you are joking.

Peter
07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Because you didn't have the opportunity or because you couldn't be bothered?

If the latter, that is desperately sad and I'm not too sure how you could consider yourself an Arsenal supporter if you couldn't be bothered to watch us play Chelsea, the league champions, in an FA Cup final. :shrug:

I couldn't be bothered with it. It is sad, but that is how it is. I watched a bit of the second half and I did watch the highlights.

7sisters
07-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Oh, I enjoyed them all. But I would swap it for a 4th place finish in a heartbeat. Never mind.

No one remembers runners up, let alone 4th place league finishes.
I might meet you half way had we not turned our CL appearances into a total car wreck since god knows when.
I'm qute relieved to be spared the annual humiliation tbf.

redgunamo
07-17-2017, 07:10 PM

No, he's right, I think. There's never been enough Arsenal fans that want Wenger out for Him to be sacked. Which is where this apathy comes from; support the club 100% and we still won't win the European Cup, demand a new manager and that's unlikely to happen either. Can't win.

World's End Stella
07-18-2017, 07:06 AM
No, he's right, I think. There's never been enough Arsenal fans that want Wenger out for Him to be sacked. Which is where this apathy comes from; support the club 100% and we still won't win the European Cup, demand a new manager and that's unlikely to happen either. Can't win.

You're making the argument that the support won't get him sacked, red. And I agree.

I made the point that the support *could* get him sacked.

Luis Anaconda
07-18-2017, 08:00 AM

You left out the bit where we became the most successful club in the history of the competition and our brilliant manager became the first man to win it 7 (seven) times

Peter
07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
You left out the bit where we became the most successful club in the history of the competition and our brilliant manager became the first man to win it 7 (seven) times

Yeah but.......

Billy Goat Sverige
07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
That's obviously *******s though. He said he wants to play in it and win it yet seemingly priced himself out of a move to Bayern who were interested in signing him.

Tony C
07-18-2017, 09:43 AM
He would be far better off leaving on a free next season.

Why the rush to join City now.

He can come back to us, do f all, save himself for the World Cup and then get even more money playing for PSG, Barca, Real etc etc

Would suck for us but that's what I would do.

Can't trust him...if he wants to leave and the money and replacements are there then go for it.

Since we changed to a 3-4-3 we play as a team and no longer reliant on him to win us every game on his own...

World's End Stella
07-18-2017, 02:03 PM
I couldn't be bothered with it. It is sad, but that is how it is. I watched a bit of the second half and I did watch the highlights.

Sorry Peter, I'm sure you're a fine chap and everything but I just fail to see how you consider yourself an Arsenal supporter given this. :shrug:

Peter
07-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Sorry Peter, I'm sure you're a fine chap and everything but I just fail to see how you consider yourself an Arsenal supporter given this. :shrug:

It isn't good, is it. To be fair I did stick it on to watch Per collect the trophy. I like Per ;)

I just really didn't want to watch it. Its hard to explain why.

redgunamo
07-18-2017, 03:43 PM
You're making the argument that the support won't get him sacked, red. And I agree.

I made the point that the support *could* get him sacked.

That's what I mean; they *couldn't* get Him sacked because there's never been enough of us who want to. And there never would be.

Different matter with other managers at other clubs maybe, but Wenger? At the Arsenal? Never.

redgunamo
07-18-2017, 04:05 PM
They do have a lot more chance than us next season

No, not alot more, I think. We have no chance, of course, but they (Manchester City) are not all that good.

Yesterday Once More
07-18-2017, 07:54 PM
That's what I mean; they *couldn't* get Him sacked because there's never been enough of us who want to. And there never would be.

Different matter with other managers at other clubs maybe, but Wenger? At the Arsenal? Never.

Right conclusion, wrong reason. It is nothing to do with the numbers who want him gone - there are plenty of us out there.

It is everything about a disinterested majority shareholder who doesn't remotely care for winning major honours, unlike those in charge of our major rivals. Wenger is allowed to cruise at Arsenal where he never would have been at City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool.....or even Tottenham