PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wood really looks like a dangerous and effective fast bowler

Burney
07-14-2017, 11:20 AM
and yet he isn't. I find this odd.

Ash
07-14-2017, 02:03 PM

The reverse-jinx not working so far. :-(

Burney
07-14-2017, 02:25 PM
The reverse-jinx not working so far. :-(

Yes. Mind you - like your mum - I do love de Kock.

Seriously, though, his 50 on Saturday was the highlight of the day's play. Seriously good batsman.

Luis Anaconda
07-14-2017, 02:26 PM

indeed very puzzling. We need de Kock out really

Burney
07-14-2017, 02:30 PM
indeed very puzzling. We need de Kock out really

He and Amla are sort of quintessentially un-South African batsmen, aren't they? Alma's all great technique and elegant strokeplay, while de Kock is aggressive, but classy run-a-ball shenanigans. Gary Kirsten must be turning in his crypt.

Luis Anaconda
07-14-2017, 02:49 PM
He and Amla are sort of quintessentially un-South African batsmen, aren't they? Alma's all great technique and elegant strokeplay, while de Kock is aggressive, but classy run-a-ball shenanigans. Gary Kirsten must be turning in his crypt.

yes - almost looking forward to watching them if I have to in a couple of weeks. As opposed to our brave boys. Saturday at the Oval. It will probably rain

Burney
07-14-2017, 02:53 PM
yes - almost looking forward to watching them if I have to in a couple of weeks. As opposed to our brave boys. Saturday at the Oval. It will probably rain

I actually became quite angry watching Cook, Jennings and Ballance poke about dismally against a depleted attack on what was still a belting track on a sunny Saturday afternoon in front of a full house as Lord's, every one of whom had paid a significant sum of money to be entertained. It was bloody disgraceful.

Ash
07-14-2017, 02:58 PM
I actually became quite angry watching Cook, Jennings and Ballance poke about dismally against a depleted attack on what was still a belting track on a sunny Saturday afternoon in front of a full house as Lord's, every one of whom had paid a significant sum of money to be entertained. It was bloody disgraceful.

I actually cheered when Cook got out, assuming that some batting might come in. Didn't quite work out like that.

Burney
07-14-2017, 03:00 PM
I actually cheered when Cook got out, assuming that some batting might come in. Didn't quite work out like that.

He really is one of the dullest, most insipid and uninspiring batsmen I've ever seen play for England. He has the personality and appeal of a wet rag.

Luis Anaconda
07-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Well, yes. It clearly wasn't a belting track at all as events proved. All these T20 fans like Berni thinking we should be scoring at 6 an over pfft

Burney
07-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Well, yes. It clearly wasn't a belting track at all as events proved. All these T20 fans like Berni thinking we should be scoring at 6 an over pfft

It was at that stage, I assure you. And, with S. Africa's best bowler off the field, that should have been the time to capitalise. Instead Cook prodded and nudged at the thing as though it were a live hand grenade. ****.

Luis Anaconda
07-14-2017, 03:16 PM
It was at that stage, I assure you. And, with S. Africa's best bowler off the field, that should have been the time to capitalise. Instead Cook prodded and nudged at the thing as though it were a live hand grenade. ****.

A pitch does not deteriorate as quickly as that - clearly was difficult to bat on. Not like Cook isn't in good form

Burney
07-14-2017, 03:23 PM
A pitch does not deteriorate as quickly as that - clearly was difficult to bat on. Not like Cook isn't in good form

A couple of hours earlier, Buvama and the nigh****chman had made comfortable progress, while de Kock was smashing it everywhere. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the wicket.

Ash
07-14-2017, 03:29 PM
nigh****chman

:hehe: wd the censor. Nigh Twât Chman

Luis Anaconda
07-14-2017, 03:31 PM
A couple of hours earlier, Buvama and the nigh****chman had made comfortable progress, while de Kock was smashing it everywhere. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the wicket.

In form players struggling to time it suggests otherwise followed by huge collapses the next day. Clearly was playing up a bit by the time of the evening session

Burney
07-14-2017, 03:35 PM
In form players struggling to time it suggests otherwise followed by huge collapses the next day. Clearly was playing up a bit by the time of the evening session

Well, Gary Ballance was able to stay in on it despite being notably shíte. Ergo, there was nowt wrong with it. I can honestly assure you that there was nothing happening.

Peter
07-14-2017, 03:45 PM
He really is one of the dullest, most insipid and uninspiring batsmen I've ever seen play for England. He has the personality and appeal of a wet rag.

whereas Sir Geoffrey was all fireworks wasn't he.....

Christ almighty.....

Ash
07-14-2017, 03:48 PM

He's quite feisty behind a microphone.

Burney
07-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Christ almighty.....

Different era. This is a batsman-friendly time. No excuse for prodding about these days.

Peter
07-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Different era. This is a batsman-friendly time. No excuse for prodding about these days.

Funny...you can find a lot of youtube clips of Boycott playing some pretty ugly shots. He isn't the prettiest to watch.

That said, some of the wickets he is batting on look rather suspect.

Either way....lets not criticise a batsman for scoring slowly. Its silly. Some of my best innings were my slowest.

Burney
07-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Funny...you can find a lot of youtube clips of Boycott playing some pretty ugly shots. He isn't the prettiest to watch.

That said, some of the wickets he is batting on look rather suspect.

Either way....lets not criticise a batsman for scoring slowly. Its silly. Some of my best innings were my slowest.

There's nothing wrong with scoring slowly if the context of the match demands it. A rather more adventurous approach would have been perfectly appropriate on Saturday afternoon. Instead, Cook decided - as ever - to grind it out.

Boycs wasn't always the prettiest, but that wasn't his job. He had superb defensive technique, which meant he was a bástard to dislodge. Cook doesn't have superb defensive technique - he's just dull.