PDA

View Full Version : I see Macron's a racist now.

Burney
07-12-2017, 11:12 AM
:hehe: That little lefty love-in didn't last long, did it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/11/slur-africans-macron-radical-pretence-over

redgunamo
07-12-2017, 11:22 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/11/slur-africans-macron-radical-pretence-over

Yes, even while the Donald was hitting his own recent Big Speech Challenge for six. It's a funny world, ain't it.

Luis Anaconda
07-12-2017, 11:41 AM

You really needed to add the "Father Ted" after that

Ash
07-12-2017, 11:59 AM

The opening point seemed to be a fairly GPWM tbf. France imposes Catholicism on it's Africa and quelle suprise! High birth rates!

Luis Anaconda
07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
The opening point seemed to be a fairly GPWM tbf. France imposes Catholicism on it's Africa and quelle suprise! High birth rates!
Were the Africans in those colonies big users of contraception before then?

Ash
07-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Were the Africans in those colonies big users of contraception before then?

Not really the point, is it? It's the birth rates now that Macron and the author are referring to.

redgunamo
07-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Not really the point, is it? It's the birth rates now that Macron and the author are referring to.

It's all about root causes; that's where the real money is, if you don't have enough guns.

SWv2
07-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Referencing high birth rates is not a racist statement.

Sir C
07-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Here's what I don't get about post-colonial guilt. On the one hand, the poor, innocent, child-like people of Africa and Asia, apparently entirely lacking in agancy, did as they were told and took on the rules and regulations imposed by christianity because we told them to. Now that we tell them to do something different, such as not breeding in quite such a rabbit-like fashion, all of a sudden develop enough free will to ignore us.

What's it to be? Are the oppressed peoples of the world naive natives, to be bent to our will as required, or sentient human beings with the ability to take responsibility for their actions?

Burney
07-12-2017, 01:09 PM

Yeah, Except for a couple of things:
1/ A large number of the Africans in question are muslims.
2/ France hasn't been in charge of those places for some time. These people are quite capable of making their own decisions.

redgunamo
07-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Here's what I don't get about post-colonial guilt. On the one hand, the poor, innocent, child-like people of Africa and Asia, apparently entirely lacking in agancy, did as they were told and took on the rules and regulations imposed by christianity because we told them to. Now that we tell them to do something different, such as not breeding in quite such a rabbit-like fashion, all of a sudden develop enough free will to ignore us.

What's it to be? Are the oppressed peoples of the world naive natives, to be bent to our will as required, or sentient human beings with the ability to take responsibility for their actions?

Actually, I've decided it's all your fault for refusing to proudly wear your Arsenal replica shirt. You see, all you've really done is encourage this sort of thinking and behaviour.

Ash
07-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Referencing high birth rates is not a racist statement.

I didn't say it was.

Sir C
07-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Actually, I've decided it's all your fault for refusing to proudly wear your Arsenal replica shirt. You see, all you've really done is encourage this sort of thinking and behaviour.

There are more than enough replica Arsenal shirts being worn in Africa. On my visits I feel it is important to dress appropriately, lest any local offer disrespect to me or the memsahib, so I tend to sport a rather nicely tailored safari suit and cavalry boots.

SWv2
07-12-2017, 01:17 PM
I didn't say it was.

I know you didn't, but it is the title or whatever of this topic.

When I then read (part of) the linked piece I only saw references to such comments made from today.

Linking you in my reply was merely how I roll as opposed to just replying blankly.

redgunamo
07-12-2017, 01:21 PM
There are more than enough replica Arsenal shirts being worn in Africa. On my visits I feel it is important to dress appropriately, lest any local offer disrespect to me or the memsahib, so I tend to sport a rather nicely tailored safari suit and cavalry boots.

Right. That's why it's so important that the right sort wears them too, not just the wrong sort.

Ash
07-12-2017, 01:37 PM

The latter, I would hope. But it seems that Papism is hard to shake off. :shrug:

:fishing: