PDA

View Full Version : Pjanic on the streets of Islington?

Sir C
07-05-2017, 12:19 PM
What does he do, anyway?

SWv2
07-05-2017, 12:26 PM
What does he do, anyway?

Midfield footballer for Juventus.

the splendor of antigone
07-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Would be nice with someone who knows how to take a freekick. It makes sense with Cazorla being dead and all.
Lacazette, Pjanic, Lemar, Mbappe, and Mahrez :rubchin: Long gone are the days of Trabelsi, Kalou and Sebastien Frey rumors :bow:

Sir C
07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Midfield footballer for Juventus.

What sort of midfield footballer, sw? Holding midfielder? Deep-lying playmaker? No. 10?

I need facts man, not wishy-washy vagueness.

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Would be nice with someone who knows how to take a freekick

And Calhanoglu has gone to Milan :-(

the splendor of antigone
07-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Calhan is just too good :shakehead:

SWv2
07-05-2017, 12:42 PM
What sort of midfield footballer, sw? Holding midfielder? Deep-lying playmaker? No. 10?

I need facts man, not wishy-washy vagueness.

I am not sure why you wish to dumb down your understanding of the game to playground terminology such as “holding”.

One thing MP is not is a player whose focus is on defensive duties within a team structure, yet having played in Italy he is not adverse to the defensive side of the game. Is he a play maker, certainly he can be, is he restricted in his positioning and movement as to be “deep lying”, he is not.

I would say he could fulfil any positon in a midfield in a similar way to Cazorla could, yet you would not dream of labelling SC as a holding player or such like.

He is a very intelligent player on the ball, bought by Juventus to replace Pogba but to see one as a clone of the other would be incorrect and would simply further embarrass you down the pub when you offered the duo as a conversation piece.

What is going on here anyway, is he now being linked with a move from Juventus to Arsenal after but one season?

Pokster
07-05-2017, 12:58 PM
I am not sure why you wish to dumb down your understanding of the game to playground terminology such as “holding”.

One thing MP is not is a player whose focus is on defensive duties within a team structure, yet having played in Italy he is not adverse to the defensive side of the game. Is he a play maker, certainly he can be, is he restricted in his positioning and movement as to be “deep lying”, he is not.

I would say he could fulfil any positon in a midfield in a similar way to Cazorla could, yet you would not dream of labelling SC as a holding player or such like.

He is a very intelligent player on the ball, bought by Juventus to replace Pogba but to see one as a clone of the other would be incorrect and would simply further embarrass you down the pub when you offered the duo as a conversation piece.

What is going on here anyway, is he now being linked with a move from Juventus to Arsenal after but one season?

OOOOOh look at you becoming the knowledge on here

Just Trent
07-05-2017, 01:05 PM

He's certainly developed well in recent years. In his early days at Lyon he sometimes looked like a bit of a flaky number ten. A bit of Italian coaching has done wonders for him though. Last season Allegri used him in CM against Barcelona and he ran the show. Sounds like the end for poor old Santi though? :-\

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Calhan is just too good :shakehead:

:nod: Loved that show

Ash
07-05-2017, 01:12 PM
:nod: Loved that show

:nod: Ed Woodwoodwood.

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
:nod: Ed Woodwoodwood.

I remember they repeated them all in the early 80s in the very early days of Channel 4. I loved them. I wonder how they'd look today.

Ash
07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
I remember they repeated them all in the early 80s in the very early days of Channel 4. I loved them. I wonder how they'd look today.

Oppressively patriarchal, heteronormative and racist, I expect.

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Oppressively patriarchal, heteronormative and racist, I expect.

Yeah :cloud9:

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:25 PM

I understood that players are rigidly compartmentalised in this manner in the modern game, sw. I fear that you and I are dinosaurs, so to speak. In my day a midfield player played in midfield; that is to say, his job was to control the game in the area between the two penalty boxes and to use the ball creatively when the opportunity arose.

Perhaps our man Pjanic is, in effect, an old-fashioned midfielder. I look forward to his arrival, which i am assured is imminent.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
I understood that players are rigidly compartmentalised in this manner in the modern game, sw. I fear that you and I are dinosaurs, so to speak. In my day a midfield player played in midfield; that is to say, his job was to control the game in the area between the two penalty boxes and to use the ball creatively when the opportunity arose.

Perhaps our man Pjanic is, in effect, an old-fashioned midfielder. I look forward to his arrival, which i am assured is imminent.

I coach and manage a football team on a voluntary basis in my spare time, a side which has done quite well*. This is probably news to you as I don’t tend to mention it, I prefer to avoid the limelight and media attention. For me the glory is passing on my knowledge and experience to the next generation.

Anyhow I am approached often by players who ask me if they can play, and I am quoting here, “CDM” or “RWM” or “LWM”.

Because of silly rules I cannot swear at them so naturally I tell them to play this role and to enjoy and express themselves. Then the game starts and invariably they are not where they asked to play.

You know who is to blame here don’t you?? Computer games. Bill Gates and the likes. Jorge, Red, others.

* Season just ended – P14, W14, D0, L0. Goals for – lost count, Goals against – less than 20.

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
I coach and manage a football team on a voluntary basis in my spare time, a side which has done quite well*. This is probably news to you as I don’t tend to mention it, I prefer to avoid the limelight and media attention. For me the glory is passing on my knowledge and experience to the next generation.

Anyhow I am approached often by players who ask me if they can play, and I am quoting here, “CDM” or “RWM” or “LWM”.

Because of silly rules I cannot swear at them so naturally I tell them to play this role and to enjoy and express themselves. Then the game starts and invariably they are not where they asked to play.

You know who is to blame here don’t you?? Computer games. Bill Gates and the likes. Jorge, Red, others.

* Season just ended – P14, W14, D0, L0. Goals for – lost count, Goals against – less than 20.

Did you hear what The Insider said about Weller? Shocking, it was. :-(

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:40 PM

I was watching a programme about Rinus Michels recently and, I confess, it was you who sprang to mind.

Goals against would be fewer than 20, of course.

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:43 PM
I was watching a programme about Rinus Michels recently and, I confess, it was you who sprang to mind.

From my limited observations, kids' teams always seem to be either the kind that wins every game by a ridicules margin or loses every game by a ridicules margin. There seems to be little middle ground.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:46 PM
From my limited observations, kids' teams always seem to be either the kind that wins every game by a ridicules margin or loses every game by a ridicules margin. There seems to be little middle ground.

I have no experience of watching children in shorts, b. Not since the restraining order.

Pokster

Well obviously there is middle ground unless you have a 2 team league :rolleyes: But yes, youth football only takes 1 or 2 classy players to carry a team in local leagues. My eldest played in some National finals the other week, the standard was exceptional, especially considering no academy players were allowed.
They won their local league p16 lost 1 won 15... got to these finals and got played off the park in all 4 games

SWv2

I can tell you to fúck off.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 01:48 PM

I expect next season once promoted we will regularly get walloped at which point I will resign my position.

Nobody wants to be associated with losers.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I can tell you to fúck off.

There's language, now.

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:52 PM
I expect next season once promoted we will regularly get walloped at which point I will resign my position.

Nobody wants to be associated with losers.

Quit while you're ahead. sw. Alternatively, stubbornly insist on playing the same way regardless of the outcome and play will-he/won't he guessing games over your contract for a decade while overseeing a general decline in the club's performance that engenders major supporter unrest and leads to some gobshîte hiring a plane with a message calling for your sacking to fly over the game.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Quit while you're ahead. sw. Alternatively, stubbornly insist on playing the same way regardless of the outcome and play will-he/won't he guessing games over your contract for a decade while overseeing a general decline in the club's performance that engenders major supporter unrest and leads to some gobshîte hiring a plane with a message calling for your sacking to fly over the game.

I have told the club that the day a small plane flies over South Dublin with the message “FÚCK OFF SW” is the day I walk away.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 02:00 PM

'Aircraft'. 'Aeroplane' is also perfectly acceptable.

Burney
07-05-2017, 02:01 PM
'Aircraft'. 'Aeroplane' is also perfectly acceptable.

How do you know I didn't mean a woodworking implement?

Sir C
07-05-2017, 02:02 PM
How do you know I didn't mean a woodworking implement?

I deduced your meaning by careful interpretation of the context, b.