PDA

View Full Version : Bands that you're supposed to think are great, but who you don't like.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:15 AM
The Kinks.

There. I've said it.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:25 AM
The Kinks.

There. I've said it.

I only really discovered them later in life and still like them very much.

A bit too much lyrical whimsy at times, but still really very good.

Pokster
07-05-2017, 10:26 AM
The Kinks.

There. I've said it.

Led Zep, Pink Floyd

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:26 AM
The Kinks.

There. I've said it.

Oh, and it's obviously The Beatles.

I can see how 'significant' and brilliant they were and all that, but I just don't like 'em. :shrug:

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Led Zep, Pink Floyd

When one gets older, one realises that Led Zeppelin were really very, very silly.

Pokster
07-05-2017, 10:28 AM
When one gets older, one realises that Led Zeppelin were really very, very silly.

GFood, because I thought they were crap when i was young... forgot ELO as well

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Led Zep, Pink Floyd

I can't get into Pink Floyd at all.

I love Led Zep though. but it's more of a studying the guitar sort of way.

Pokster
07-05-2017, 10:31 AM

I'm sure they were very talented... but not for me Clive

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

Do you really want to be able to play the guitar like a creepy, occult-obsessed nonce, f? Do you?

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Do you really want to be able to play the guitar like a creepy, occult-obsessed nonce, f? Do you?

:hehe: :nod:
The reason is he took all his influences from blues and others. And then many of the guitarists who came later took inspiration from Page.

It covers a lot of stuff I need to fill. There is too much information available for today's guitarist in fact too much. I am going back to basics. All I had when I started when I was 16 was a ****ty acoustic and a pitch pipe and book of chords.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
:hehe: :nod:
The reason is he took all his influences from blues and others. And then many of the guitarists who came later took inspiration from Page.

It covers a lot of stuff I need to fill. There is too much information available for today's guitarist in fact too much. I am going back to basics. All I had when I started when I was 16 was a ****ty acoustic and a pitch pipe and book of chords.

You should perhaps then look into Page with the Yardbirds where any tangible influence from "the blues" (man) would perhaps be more obvious.

More or less every musician from the 60s could claim influence from the blues, Chuck Berry, JLL but then that was the music that immediately went before them. Not so easy then to identify any influence as their career progressed.

Lemmy from Motorhead, biggest influence on his career (other than drugs)? The Beatles.

Go figure.

Ash
07-05-2017, 10:44 AM
The Kinks.

There. I've said it.

I like the Kinks. Did you know that the first gig that the Davies boys played together was in that pub in Fortis Green where we went after f's funeral?

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Pink Floyd is very much a matter of vibe, man.

I could never get into them, until one winter when I shared a house with a highly enthusiastic stoner. I spent about 8 months constantly stoned, with Floyd blasting out from his very expensive hifi system. I've liked them ever since, but would struggle to listen to an album all the way through if I was straight.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:47 AM
I like the Kinks. Did you know that the first gig that the Davies boys played together was in that pub in Fortis Green where we went after f's funeral?

Really? Actually, now you mention it, did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.

My main problem is that 'Waterloo Sunset' brings me out in hives.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Pink Floyd is very much a matter of vibe, man.

I could never get into them, until one winter when I shared a house with a highly enthusiastic stoner. I spent about 8 months constantly stoned, with Floyd blasting out from his very expensive hifi system. I've liked them ever since, but would struggle to listen to an album all the way through if I was straight.

As I said the other day, I used to find their po-faced, middle-aged angst a bit ridiculous coming from a bunch of 20-something pop stars.

Now that I'm middle-aged and angst-ridden myself, I'm starting to see the good in them.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Really? Actually, now you mention it, did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.

Was 'By the end of the day' a deliberate Kinks reference? If so, it was rather good.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Was 'By the end of the day' a deliberate Kinks reference? If so, it was rather good.

Would that it had been.

Viva Prat Vegas
07-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Did you know that at the time? It's ringing a tiny bell. Nice pub, that was. By the end of the day I may have been a littler drunk.

Your lyrical reply is very Kinky

Peter
07-05-2017, 11:11 AM

And of course, what we really want is good, sensible rock bands.

People who don't like Zeppelin tend to fall into two camps: complete ****s, and those with an axe to grind, such as the grumpy old **** I spoke to in a pub the other week who lectured me on Tom Waits and other unlistenable crap.

I don't like Pink Floyd after Syd. My main one is probably the Small Faces. I just don't get it at all.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 11:11 AM

The (female) busker outside my window by the Molly Malone statue is currently doing a particularly dire version of Waterloo Sunset.

:clap:

She will be back later today and will do it again, then again tomorrow. And Friday.

:-\

Burney
07-05-2017, 11:20 AM
And of course, what we really want is good, sensible rock bands.

People who don't like Zeppelin tend to fall into two camps: complete ****s, and those with an axe to grind, such as the grumpy old **** I spoke to in a pub the other week who lectured me on Tom Waits and other unlistenable crap.

I don't like Pink Floyd after Syd. My main one is probably the Small Faces. I just don't get it at all.

Silly is fine. Taking yourselves painfully seriously while being utterly preposterous and thumping out souped-up blues numbers is a bit much, though.

Peter
07-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Silly is fine. Taking yourselves painfully seriously while being utterly preposterous and thumping out souped-up blues numbers is a bit much, though.

They took themselves seriously (as did everyone else) because they were seriously ****ing good.

I don’t particularly like looking at them and would happily accept they may well have been a bunch of ****s (that said, Robert Plant these days seems a very nice chap). Its just inconvenient that the music is extraordinarily ****ing good. To write it off as souped up blues is ridiculous as anyone who has made it past Zep 2 will know.

Anyway….. each to their own and all that.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 11:57 AM
They took themselves seriously (as did everyone else) because they were seriously ****ing good.

I don’t particularly like looking at them and would happily accept they may well have been a bunch of ****s (that said, Robert Plant these days seems a very nice chap). Its just inconvenient that the music is extraordinarily ****ing good. To write it off as souped up blues is ridiculous as anyone who has made it past Zep 2 will know.

Anyway….. each to their own and all that.

'Everyone' took them seriously because it was the received wisdom of the day.

I like and admire some of their work but a great deal of it is self-indulgent, bloated, posturing nonsnse.

Burney
07-05-2017, 11:59 AM

I like and admire some of their work but a great deal of it is self-indulgent, bloated, posturing nonsnse.

All that 'We don't release singles' böllocks, for instance. And that's before we get into absurdities like their occult symbols and Immigrant Song, ffs!

Sir C
07-05-2017, 12:04 PM
All that 'We don't release singles' böllocks, for instance. And that's before we get into absurdities like their occult symbols and Immigrant Song, ffs!

It's all admirable stuff inasmuch as they behaved exactly how you want a rock n roll band to behave, right down to the drugs, *****philia and violence. It's taking it all so seriously that's the mistake.

Ash
07-05-2017, 12:34 PM

No, I don't think I knew then. Sorry to hear about your Waterloo Sunset allergy. I love that song. :-)

Peter
07-05-2017, 12:58 PM

They wrote Immigrant Song on a visit to Iceland. This is what happens when you give rock stars access to tales of Vikings, or Lord of the Rings. If you can ignore the lyrics its a great song.

Peter
07-05-2017, 01:00 PM

That is 70s rock for you. They still did bloated, self indulgent posturing much better than anybody else.

I mean, look at Greetings from Asbury Park. What a load of *******s.

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 01:02 PM
They wrote Immigrant Song on a visit to Iceland. This is what happens when you give rock stars access to tales of Vikings, or Lord of the Rings. If you can ignore the lyrics its a great song.

Isn't that rather like saying, "If you can ignore the football, they're a great team,"?

Or is lyrics not so important, in the scheme of things?

Peter
07-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Isn't that rather like saying, "If you can ignore the football, they're a great team,"?

Or is lyrics not so important, in the scheme of things?

With Zeppelin, they are not important. With Dylan, arguably more so.

The lyrics just give Plant an excuse to sing. They didn't set out to say anything.

Ash
07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
With Zeppelin, they are not important. With Dylan, arguably more so.

The lyrics just give Plant an excuse to sing. They didn't set out to say anything.

For me the voice is just another instrument. I rarely listen to lyrics. If I notice them, and they're any good then that's a bonus. Not listening to a band purely because the lyrics are not much cop misses the point of music imo.

The Insider
07-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Broadening out to indivduals......

Adele and Paul Weller

Both complete overated ****s

Burney
07-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Adele and Paul Weller

Somewhere in Dublin, sw just felt irrationally angry.

Ash
07-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Adele and Paul Weller

https://www.colourbox.com/preview/1744600-dynamite-fuse-burning.jpg

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
That is 70s rock for you. They still did bloated, self indulgent posturing much better than anybody else.

I mean, look at Greetings from Asbury Park. What a load of *******s.

You, young man, are sailing extremely close to the wind.

Go, look in a mirror, and consider what you have done.

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
No, I don't think I knew then. Sorry to hear about your Waterloo Sunset allergy. I love that song. :-)

My favourite is death of a clown.

Peter
07-05-2017, 01:47 PM
You, young man, are sailing extremely close to the wind.

Go, look in a mirror, and consider what you have done.

Long streams of meaningless ****, Sir C. He comes across as Dougal to Dylan's Father Ted.

Thank god he found his real voice sharpish....apart from Ramrod which is just childish, embarrassing chuff.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Long streams of meaningless ****, Sir C. He comes across as Dougal to Dylan's Father Ted.

Thank god he found his real voice sharpish....apart from Ramrod which is just childish, embarrassing chuff.

Mother of Christ man, you keep making it worse! You're like a man running round the Vatican screaming, 'Jesus is a ****!' Do you have tourettes?

Just. Stop. Saying. Things.

Ash
07-05-2017, 01:51 PM
My favourite is death of a clown.

Hmm, one of Dave's.

I bet Ray wasn't so keen on it. :hehe:

Peter
07-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Mother of Christ man, you keep making it worse! You're like a man running round the Vatican screaming, 'Jesus is a ****!' Do you have tourettes?

Just. Stop. Saying. Things.

Good analogy. Its the difference between the supporter and those of blind faith. He could serve you a warm bag of **** on a hot day and you would still leave a tip.

I'd send it back and ask to speak to the manager.

Standards are standards, and those most able to meet them create the greatest disappointment when they fail to do so.

Ramrod, FFS. The imagery alone is revolting. Even Saxon wouldn't stoop that low.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Good analogy. Its the difference between the supporter and those of blind faith. He could serve you a warm bag of **** on a hot day and you would still leave a tip.

I'd send it back and ask to speak to the manager.

Standards are standards, and those most able to meet them create the greatest disappointment when they fail to do so.

Ramrod, FFS. The imagery alone is revolting. Even Saxon wouldn't stoop that low.

You realise that, as a moderator, I have a button here marked 'Block, Mute, Report To Momemtum For unCorbynist Remarks'?

My finger is hovering, p.

Peter
07-05-2017, 02:21 PM
You realise that, as a moderator, I have a button here marked 'Block, Mute, Report To Momemtum For unCorbynist Remarks'?

My finger is hovering, p.

Censorship! Thought Police! Stalinist!

Et tu, Sir C? What have we become????

"Though I stand down now the time will come when you will hear me"
(do you know whose maiden speech in the HoC ended with this sentence?)

Burney
07-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Censorship! Thought Police! Stalinist!

Et tu, Sir C? What have we become????

"Though I stand down now the time will come when you will hear me"
(do you know whose maiden speech in the HoC ended with this sentence?)

Disraeli, wunnit?

Sir C
07-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Disraeli, wunnit?

It seems to have lost something in translation. I'd like to see it in the original yiddish.

Burney
07-05-2017, 02:27 PM
It seems to have lost something in translation. I'd like to see it in the original yiddish.

I believe he was mocked because of his silly clothes, effeminate manner and orotund rhetorical style to such a degree he had to SIDDDAAHHHN.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 02:27 PM
I believe he was mocked because of his silly clothes, effeminate manner and orotund rhetorical style to such a degree he had to SIDDDAAHHHN.

Sounds a proper daft ****.

Burney
07-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Sounds a proper daft ****.

I believe that is what's written on his headstone.

eastgermanautos
07-05-2017, 02:29 PM
For me the voice is just another instrument. I rarely listen to lyrics. If I notice them, and they're any good then that's a bonus. Not listening to a band purely because the lyrics are not much cop misses the point of music imo.

These people are just trying to annoy you, my friend. The child is the father of the man, and I am sure these pissants listened to rock and roll and ramble on like nine hundred and eighty times.

eastgermanautos
07-05-2017, 02:29 PM
I believe that is what's written on his headstone.

:hehe: .

Peter
07-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Disraeli, wunnit?

Correct. Sir C's anti-Semitic retort below is a perfect example of why he was silenced.

Well, that and he appeared to be reading from notes....

Burney
07-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Correct. Sir C's anti-Semitic retort below is a perfect example of why he was silenced.

Well, that and he appeared to be reading from notes....

I always felt that, if his dad wanted him to avoid anti-semitism, he probably should have gone a bit further than signing him up for the C of E and maybe thought about calling the family something other than Disraeli. Bit of a dead giveaway that was, imo.