PDA

View Full Version : Bands you thought you didn't like but now you do.

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Or perhaps you were influenced not to like a certain band. or perhaps it was not in a genre you were 'supposed' to like.

And the opposite bands you liked but now you think are ****.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Or perhaps you were influenced not to like a certain band. or perhaps it was not in a genre you were 'supposed' to like.

Sadly, I seem to like exactly the same bands now that I did when I was 16. Either I was a highly precocious child, or I have peculiarly juvenile taste in music :-(

Luis Anaconda
07-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Sadly, I seem to like exactly the same bands now that I did when I was 16. Either I was a highly precocious child, or I have peculiarly juvenile taste in music :-(

The Partridge Family will never go out of fashion, sir c

Sir C
07-05-2017, 09:59 AM
The Partridge Family will never go out of fashion, sir c

Ooh, David Cassidy.

Back in 5.

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 09:59 AM

I thought as we get older we listen to stuff that is older than we are.
I have taken it much further by listening to the Carter Family :-(

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:09 AM

Used to love Joy Division. Now I realise they were amateurish, dreary wànk that no-one would bother with if Ian Curtis hadn't topped himself.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 10:09 AM

The last few gigs I have gone to see in Dublin are the same bands/acts I went to see 20+ years ago.

Weller (obvs), The Charlatans, The Orb, Teenage Fanclub, The Wonder Stuff, Super Furry Animals, Stone Roses.

I have been to see other bands in recent years – PIL, Echo and the Bunnymen – but again there is a pattern here.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:23 AM
I thought as we get older we listen to stuff that is older than we are.
I have taken it much further by listening to the Carter Family :-(

Nothing wrong with the Carter family. I think most people of any musical taste grow up to realise that, far from being the uncool joke it was when you were young, Country & Music (the proper stuff, mind, not Garth Crooks or shïte like that) is actually ace.

In fact, that's probably been my single biggest change in taste.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:24 AM
The last few gigs I have gone to see in Dublin are the same bands/acts I went to see 20+ years ago.

Weller (obvs), The Charlatans, The Orb, Teenage Fanclub, The Wonder Stuff, Super Furry Animals, Stone Roses.

I have been to see other bands in recent years – PIL, Echo and the Bunnymen – but again there is a pattern here.

Jackson Browne for me recently. Jackson Browne is a fúcking genius.

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 10:29 AM

That's the correct way, I think. Your love of music is supposed to be a snapshot in time; your time.

The kids need space to have their own time, so their's no good trying to be down wi' 'em.

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Nothing wrong with the Carter family. I think most people of any musical taste grow up to realise that, far from being the uncool joke it was when you were young, Country Music (the proper stuff, mind, not Garth Crooks or shïte like that) is actually ace.

In fact, that's probably been my single biggest change in taste.

:nod: I'd rather be able to play country guitar than metally shred nonsense.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:31 AM
:nod: I'd rather be able to play country guitar than metally shred nonsense.

Scotty Moore, f. Let him be your guide.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Jackson Browne for me recently. Jackson Browne is a fúcking genius.

Always used to get him mixed up with James Taylor. Both good-looking Californian singer-songwriters knocking out soulful ballads in between sticking it to Joni Mitchell/Carly Simon and having drug problems.

Pokster
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

Went to a small gig at the weekend, more for Country style and for songwriters.. but they did have Chris Difford from Squeeze performing (he was ****ing brilliant)... said he is going to try to get PW performing there later in the year.
Place only holds about 100 people

Ash
07-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Ah, SW. A small threadjack if you don't mind.

The GDPR doesn't apply to data about companies, as I understand it, only people. But presumably it applies to people-at-companies, even when the only data stored about them are contact details at the companies.

So do you know what happens when a prospective customer phones up with an enquiry?

Customer: Hello, I am interested in hiring some event space.
Salesperson: Excellent sir, you have come to the right place. Now, before I write your name and phone number down I need you to sign a consent form, having first read and understood everything that we might do to process your data in the usual business of doing business.
Customer: Oh please, no. *puts phone down

Also, rotational backups and the 'right to be forgotten'. You can't practically go around deleting records from all of your backups going back months and years everytime someone de-consents, but without doing this the person hasn't entirely been forgotten. Clearly the only answer to to this problem is to ignore it.

And as for duplicate records -- ouch. "Sorry sir, we only forgot one of you".

Pat Vegas
07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Scotty Moore, f. Let him be your guide.

I will.

And modern country wise I will steal the style of Brad Paisley.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Always used to get him mixed up with James Taylor. Both good-looking Californian singer-songwriters knocking out soulful ballads in between sticking it to Joni Mitchell/Carly Simon and having drug problems.

It should be remembered that Sweet Baby James checked himself into rehab for alcohol and heroin addiction at the age of 16, which is quite some going.

Meanwhile, Jackson Browne wrote 'These Days' when he was 16.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 10:43 AM
That's the correct way, I think. Your love of music is supposed to be a snapshot in time; your time.

The kids need space to have their own time, so their's no good trying to be down wi' 'em.

We bought tickets for my daughter to go see Little Mix in the O2.

There followed the beginning of a conversation about who would attend with her, the conversation started then dwindled then died off within about 7 seconds.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Tom Waits! I could never stand Tom Waits. Now I love him.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Tom Waits! I could never stand Tom Waits. Now I love him.

No. Still don't see what that's all about. He just growls.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 10:55 AM
No. Still don't see what that's all about. He just growls.

No one better evokes a smokey bar at 1 a.m.

Burney
07-05-2017, 10:57 AM

You don't like smokey bars at 1am. You like cocktail lounges due to being a gurt big ponce. ;-)

I put it to you that you would not seek to be anywhere near the sort of bar Tom Waits evokes at 1am or any other time.

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 10:59 AM
We bought tickets for my daughter to go see Little Mix in the O2.

There followed the beginning of a conversation about who would attend with her, the conversation started then dwindled then died off within about 7 seconds.

loooooooooool. Yep, been there many times. The wife takes her revenge by making them see Depeche Mode or Guns & Roses or some such ****e.

My boy goes to school in Dusseldorf and Kraftwerk were playing there for free the other day (for the TdF, of course) so, during a quiet stroll with the dogs, I made the poor little mite stand by there in the park for twenty minutes and listen. Cruel to be kind, I call it.

SWv2
07-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Ah, SW. A small threadjack if you don't mind.

The GDPR doesn't apply to data about companies, as I understand it, only people. But presumably it applies to people-at-companies, even when the only data stored about them are contact details at the companies.

So do you know what happens when a prospective customer phones up with an enquiry?

Customer: Hello, I am interested in hiring some event space.
Salesperson: Excellent sir, you have come to the right place. Now, before I write your name and phone number down I need you to sign a consent form, having first read and understood everything that we might do to process your data in the usual business of doing business.
Customer: Oh please, no. *puts phone down

Also, rotational backups and the 'right to be forgotten'. You can't practically go around deleting records from all of your backups going back months and years everytime someone de-consents, but without doing this the person hasn't entirely been forgotten. Clearly the only answer to to this problem is to ignore it.

And as for duplicate records -- ouch. "Sorry sir, we only forgot one of you".

The GDPR doesn't apply to data about companies – correct but then the issue becomes clouded by what is or is not a company e.g. sole trader where a person’s business contact details are the same as his personal – gmail accounts, mobile telephone numbers.

GDPR defines personal data as "any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ("data subject"); an identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number,location data, online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological,genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that person."

For some organisations, the explicit inclusion of location data, online identifiers and genetic data within the definition of "personal data" may result in additional compliance obligations (e.g., for online advertising businesses, many types of cookies become personal data under the GDPR, because those cookies constitute "online identifiers")

In respect of your phonecall scenario then I believe yes you would need to obtain consent (in a tangible form) for the retention of any data specific to whatever future use of the data you plan – marketing, profiling etc. If you do not capture said consent at the time then you cannot then use it in the future for that purpose.

Backups I think may be out of scope but not sure, archived data may not be seen as a structured filing system which in turn is easy and/or practical to analyse as you point out.

So effectively person at a company can be in scope as the data could be used indirectly using said data

In summary it is a complete mind fúck.

Sir C
07-05-2017, 11:00 AM
You don't like smokey bars at 1am. You like cocktail lounges due to being a gurt big ponce. ;-)

I put it to you that you would not seek to be anywhere near the sort of bar Tom Waits evokes at 1am or any other time.

I might have liked such a bar once upon a time - and, better still, I need not visit the bar, as Tom will bring it to my living room.

Burney
07-05-2017, 11:00 AM
loooooooooool. Yep, been there many times. The wife takes her revenge by making them see Depeche Mode or Guns & Roses or some such ****e.

My boy goes to school in Dusseldorf and Kraftwerk were playing there for free the other day (for the TdF, of course) so, during a quiet stroll with the dogs, I made the poor little mite stand by there in the park for twenty minutes and listen. Cruel to be kind, I call it.

Nobody really wants to stand about listening to Kraftwerk, though, surely? I'd have thought even Germans would draw the line at watching three largely motionless men in late middle age making electronic beeps and whistles?

SWv2
07-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Hmmm, what about the smoking ban eh?

SWv2
07-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Nobody really wants to stand about listening to Kraftwerk, though, surely? I'd have thought even Germans would draw the line at watching three largely motionless men in late middle age making electronic beeps and whistles?

I went to see them in the Olympia about 10 years ago, midweek, school night etc, work the next day.

Now that was a bad fúcking plan.

Luis Anaconda
07-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Kostenlos, b, it is truly magical word to the Germans

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Oh, no; they're mad for all that. Paul van Dyk, Scooter, Westbam, Front 242 ( :shrug: ); all Germans.

My dogs certainly didn't like it a bit, but kids should always think their parents' music is crap; you know they've matured correctly when they begin to understand that it's actually quite alright.

Peter
07-05-2017, 11:15 AM

As previously confessed, its Oasis for me. and I hate myself for it....

Also, Tim Buckley, which I feel quite good about.

Burney
07-05-2017, 11:22 AM
As previously confessed, its Oasis for me. and I hate myself for it....

Also, Tim Buckley, which I feel quite good about.

Tim Buckley had some lovely stuff. Quite a lot of shîte, though, as well.

Happy Time is a great song, though. Call me a philistine, but I prefer the Cocteau Twins' Song to the Siren. It's shorter for a start.

Peter
07-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Tim Buckley had some lovely stuff. Quite a lot of shîte, though, as well.

Happy Time is a great song, though. Call me a philistine, but I prefer the Cocteau Twins' Song to the Siren. It's shorter for a start.

Once I Was is wonderful. I haven't had the pleasure of that cover of Song to the Siren but I doubt it could be better than the original.

I am not surprised at the your apathy towards the Beatles. I like some of it but it doesn't get me overly excited.

Burney
07-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Once I Was is wonderful. I haven't had the pleasure of that cover of Song to the Siren but I doubt it could be better than the original.

I am not surprised at the your apathy towards the Beatles. I like some of it but it doesn't get me overly excited.

Tim Buckley's problem was that he was a bit too jazzy. Well... that and the heroin, obviously.

Peter
07-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Tim Buckley's problem was that he was a bit too jazzy. Well... that and the heroin, obviously.

Well, heroin can make one a little jazzy. Van Morrison can stray a little too jazzy at times.

redgunamo
07-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Well, heroin can make one a little jazzy. Van Morrison can stray a little too jazzy at times.

Yes, Charles Parker too :-\

Ash
07-05-2017, 12:17 PM
In summary it is a complete mind fúck.

Yes. There is also the matter of financial records - invoices and so on which cannot be deleted. Seems to be at odds with the overall thrust of the new legislation.