PDA

View Full Version : I made sausage rolls at the weekend.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Finely minced a mixture of pork shoulder and belly, added softened onions and lots of sage, buttry puff pastry... I think I still prefer Gregg's :-(

Burney
07-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Finely minced a mixture of pork shoulder and belly, added softened onions and lots of sage, buttry puff pastry... I think I still prefer Gregg's :-(

Yes. I've tried to fancy them up with things like mustard, parma ham, cheese and all sorts. However, the filling of a sausage roll isn't really meant to be a gourmet experience. The best ones I've had use the ridiculously pink filing from Richmond sausages. :-(

Billy Goat Sverige
07-03-2017, 09:48 AM

I like a Gregg's sausage roll, although sometimes i feel like the sausage can be a bit watery. I used to buy a pack of those frozen party ones and stored them in the fridge once cooked. Loved eating them slightly chilled :eat:

Sir C
07-03-2017, 09:49 AM
I like a Gregg's sausage roll, although sometimes i feel like the sausage can be a bit watery. I used to buy a pack of those frozen party ones and stored them in the fridge once cooked. Loved eating them slightly chilled :eat:

I think we can all agree though that the best thing from Greggs is the cheese and potato slice, no?

Burney
07-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Hang on, what? Everyone knows that tepid and floppy is the ideal condition for a sausage roll.

Billy Goat Sverige
07-03-2017, 09:51 AM
I think we can all agree though that the best thing from Greggs is the cheese and potato slice, no?

I'm more a bacon and cheese wrap kind of guy.

Burney
07-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Hang on, what? Everyone knows that tepid and floppy is the ideal condition for a sausage roll.

Never had one. I've enjoyed the steak slice and the cheese 'n onion slice very much, though.

SWv2
07-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes. I've tried to fancy them up with things like mustard, parma ham, cheese and all sorts. However, the filling of a sausage roll isn't really meant to be a gourmet experience. The best ones I've had use the ridiculously pink filing from Richmond sausages. :-(

They don't sound like sausage rolls to me.

Essentially you are gaying them up when they are supposed to cheap, dirty even, momentarily saitsfying on the palate.

Burney
07-03-2017, 09:55 AM
They don't sound like sausage rolls to me.

Essentially you are gaying them up when they are supposed to cheap, dirty even, momentarily saitsfying on the palate.

Yes, but if you make them yourself, you feel duty bound to try and do something different or interesting with them, otherwise you might as well just go to Gregg's. The fact that one's efforts never actually succeed in making anything nicer is beside the point.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Yes, but if you make them yourself, you feel duty bound to try and do something different or interesting with them, otherwise you might as well just go to Gregg's. The fact that one's efforts never actually succeed in making anything nicer is beside the point.

Au contraire; my idea was to leave the essential simplicity of the dish but try to improve the result by using quality ingredients.

Actually I'm going to have a cold one now for elevenses.

SWv2

Sadly Greggs does not exist in the free state of the Emerald Isle.

I look forward to their arrival as we now have Weatherspoons so I expect all trade barriers are down.

Billy Goat Sverige
Sadly Greggs does not exist in the free state of the Emerald Isle.

I look forward to their arrival as we now have Weatherspoons so I expect all trade barriers are down.

They don't even know what a sausage roll is over here. ****s.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-03-2017, 09:59 AM

That can't be right? To be fair Gregg's sausage rolls are great after a heavy night but when stone cold and with a fully available palette, I can't believe that Gregg's would win out....

Sir C
07-03-2017, 09:59 AM
They don't even know what a sausage roll is over here. ****s.

They have meatballs though, right? Like at Ikea?

Wrap some of those up in pastry and you're sorted, b.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:00 AM
That can't be right? To be fair Gregg's sausage rolls are great after a heavy night but when stone cold and with a fully available palette, I can't believe that Gregg's would win out....

Consider the Greggs pinky-grey sludge filling and the greasiness of the limp pastry. An unbeatable combination.

Burney
07-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Au contraire; my idea was to leave the essential simplicity of the dish but try to improve the result by using quality ingredients.

Actually I'm going to have a cold one now for elevenses.

Yes, but you've admitted yourself that the quality ingredients make feck all difference. It was the same when I made Cornish pasties with nice bits of skirt steak, finely diced vegetables and lovingly-made lard pastry. They just ended up tasting like Cornish pasties. :shrug:

SWv2
07-03-2017, 10:02 AM
They have meatballs though, right? Like at Ikea?

Wrap some of those up in pastry and you're sorted, b.

Indeed, with a small receptacle of the sauce/gravy for dipping.

Mind you going the whole way to Ikea when slightly hung over is not ideal (trust me).

redgunamo
07-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Yes, but you've admitted yourself that the quality ingredients make feck all difference. It was the same when I made Cornish pasties with nice bits of skirt steak, finely diced vegetables and lovingly-made lard pastry. They just ended up tasting like Cornish pasties. :shrug:

Right. It's as well to just leave the whole business to the experts.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:12 AM

Nonsense. Try making bacon and eggs with quality dry-cured bacon and freshly laid eggs. Or steak and chips using proper dry-aged beef and beef dripping. The quality of the ingredients is vital. Usually.

Burney
07-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Nonsense. Try making bacon and eggs with quality dry-cured bacon and freshly laid eggs. Or steak and chips using proper dry-aged beef and beef dripping. The quality of the ingredients is vital. Usually.

Yes of course, but there are certain foodstuffs that defy gentrification. Indeed, it's possible that part of their appeal lies in the cheapness of their ingredients and shoddiness of their preparation. For me, a sausage roll is such a beast. After all, bland, pink mechanically-recovered meat paste and limp, greasy, lukewarm pastry wilted under a heat lamp do beat good crisp pastry and flavoursome pork mince. That's just a fact.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Consider the Greggs pinky-grey sludge filling and the greasiness of the limp pastry. An unbeatable combination.

It must the grease doing that. You can hardly taste the meat.

Have you tried using keema mutter or similar and making a sausage roll out of that? Yes I know that sounds similar to a samosa but I'm sure we can call it fusion?

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:39 AM
It must the grease doing that. You can hardly taste the meat.

Have you tried using keema mutter or similar and making a sausage roll out of that? Yes I know that sounds similar to a samosa but I'm sure we can call it fusion?

Nice idea, a. I like your thinking.

I've just had a delivery of urud dal from Amazon, so this week I will be making the black dal. Dal makhani, if you will :cloud9: I might try it poured over chips.

Burney
07-03-2017, 10:43 AM

I've just had a delivery of urud dal from Amazon, so this week I will be making the black dal. Dal makhani, if you will :cloud9: I might try it poured over chips.

You will be farting like a misfiring exhaust imo.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:46 AM
You will be farting like a misfiring exhaust imo.

I'll be wishing I had proper rotis to scoop it up with is what I'll be doing.

I ucking love dal makhani.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM

Good idea. My only concern would be whether the chips going soggy may upset the whole experience?

SWv2
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM

Amazon delivers food / ingredient? Well I never.

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Amazon delivers food / ingredient? Well I never.

:nod: It's useful for things like spring roll wrappers, stuff you don't get in the supermarket.

Burney
07-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I'll be wishing I had proper rotis to scoop it up with is what I'll be doing.

I ucking love dal makhani.

I can't help you with rotis, but Sainsbury's does some excellent chapati and paratha that you cook on a frying pan straight from frozen

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/shana-original-paratha-400g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=kryPckLleZMbCas%2BMIjVujMK7HAskZupWQkkHgGNW 55NTHcstOtKNjPKsu%2Fu0EKM3Y%2FfRITjWvKjNkORclqJtWZ dQpj7XDb%2BOS2jA%2F1GyT2U1%2Ffp0qfLH7YG1TyC%2FSnrG sDHNGsVD83owwBfn44kmekioDTMAqqECZco8vedoA8%3D&ddkey=http%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fshana-original-paratha-400g

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/shana-chapatti-320g

Sir C
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
I can't help you with rotis, but Sainsbury's does some excellent chapati and paratha that you cook on a frying pan straight from frozen

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/shana-original-paratha-400g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=kryPckLleZMbCas%2BMIjVujMK7HAskZupWQkkHgGNW 55NTHcstOtKNjPKsu%2Fu0EKM3Y%2FfRITjWvKjNkORclqJtWZ dQpj7XDb%2BOS2jA%2F1GyT2U1%2Ffp0qfLH7YG1TyC%2FSnrG sDHNGsVD83owwBfn44kmekioDTMAqqECZco8vedoA8%3D&ddkey=http%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fshana-original-paratha-400g

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/shana-chapatti-320g

ty b. I will check those out.

IUFG
07-03-2017, 11:17 AM

You can buy a whole host of frozen, Greggs pastries at Iceland. Who knew?

Might go and but some steak bakes. they knock the sausage rolls into a cocked hat imo.

Burney
07-03-2017, 11:28 AM
You can buy a whole host of frozen, Greggs pastries at Iceland. Who knew?

Might go and but some steak bakes. they knock the sausage rolls into a cocked hat imo.

I am dubious about the efficacy of this diet. :rubchin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-4654338/The-sausage-roll-diet-Mother-loses-stone-eating-Greggs.html

IUFG
07-03-2017, 11:43 AM
I am dubious about the efficacy of this diet. :rubchin:

so Greggs also sell rabbit food. I think that is what the article is about.