PDA

View Full Version : Finally worked out why SW is obsessed with Goretzka

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Watching him last night - quite clearly the Freddie replacement we have been crying out for for some time. Uncanny likeness in his running

Sir C
06-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Watching him last night - quite clearly the Freddie replacement we have been crying out for for some time. Uncanny likeness in his running

Where was lovely smiley Carlos Vela, eh?

Peter
06-30-2017, 08:53 AM

I had been led to believe he was some kind of holding midfielder.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Piffle.

I had seen him a few times last season for Schalke and he always looked very good, when he was then (in all likelihood tenuously) linked with us then I sat forward in my armchair.

Then I read that Bayern want him and I became sad. Thus I am now over him.

I have enjoyed the Germans at the CC I must say.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Where was lovely smiley Carlos Vela, eh?

Coke and hookers, I'd imagine

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 08:56 AM

I think the most annoying thing about people continuously banging on about holding midfielders is that half the ****ers don't know what one actually is. He most certainly isn't

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Piffle.

I had seen him a few times last season for Schalke and he always looked very good, when he was then (in all likelihood tenuously) linked with us then I sat forward in my armchair.

Then I read that Bayern want him and I became sad. Thus I am now over him.

I have enjoyed the Germans at the CC I must say.
Think Bayern are well stocked in that department. Wouldn't stop them though, I suppose. Some lovely stuff from the boy Draxler last night. Thought Mexico were hard done by all the same. Fantastic strike for their goal

SWv2
06-30-2017, 08:58 AM
Coke and hookers, I'd imagine

On the bench where he appears to have spent a large part of his career. Which is nice.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 09:00 AM
I think the most annoying thing about people continuously banging on about holding midfielders is that half the ****ers don't know what one actually is. He most certainly isn't

Xhaka was also perceived as such. Xhaka and Goretzka, now there is a duo. Good in scrabble also.

Peter's ignorance does not surprise me all the same.

Peter
06-30-2017, 09:00 AM

A holding midfielder is a midfielder who is not a box to box midfielder :)

Where would he play if we signed him?

Pokster
06-30-2017, 09:01 AM

Midfield imo

Peter
06-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Xhaka was also perceived as such. Xhaka and Goretzka, now there is a duo. Good in scrabble also.

Peter's ignorance does not surprise me all the same.

Well I tend not to watch a lot of German football….. some would call it deviant to do so.

Not me- I don’t use words like that to register approval or disapproval of another man’s proclivities.

I do hope we don't see the words Holding and midfielder too often....

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Isn't he a bit old now?
http://sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/wayne-gretzky-stanley-cup.jpg

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 09:14 AM
Isn't he a bit old now?
http://sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/wayne-gretzky-stanley-cup.jpg

Are those people dwarfs, p. Why is the cup bigger than them?

Ash
06-30-2017, 09:25 AM

You know what Canadians are like. Always over-compensating.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 09:25 AM

Someone had the bright idea to put every player who won the cup and members of the organisation each year.
So they kept extending it.

There is an arsenal related name on that trophy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/StanleyCupAvs2000-01Engraved.jpg/440px-StanleyCupAvs2000-01Engraved.jpg

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 09:26 AM
You know what Canadians are like. Always over-compensating.

Named after Lord Stanley of Preston

Ash
06-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Named after Lord Stanley of Preston

:thumbup: I have learned something today. And he has a plaque in Regents' Street.

I have also just discovered that a factoid is the opposite of a fact.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
06-30-2017, 09:50 AM
I have also just discovered that a factoid is the opposite of a fact.

:hehe: you'd better tell that to that fatuous arsehole Steve Wright who refers to them often on his moronic Radio 2 show. Not that I ever listen to it, mind.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Someone had the bright idea to put every player who won the cup and members of the organisation each year.
So they kept extending it.

There is an arsenal related name on that trophy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/StanleyCupAvs2000-01Engraved.jpg/440px-StanleyCupAvs2000-01Engraved.jpg

Stan the Man?

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Stan the Man?

:nod: bit hard to read from that photo.

But although is team won the cup twice when he first came on board.

They are now the worst team in the league and finished dead last

Ash
06-30-2017, 10:08 AM
:hehe: you'd better tell that to that fatuous arsehole Steve Wright who refers to them often on his moronic Radio 2 show. Not that I ever listen to it, mind.

This post reminds me how I miss Nicos moaning about Adrian Durham every day, who he did not listen to on Talksport, of course.

'Factoid' was supposedly coined by Norman Mailer in 1973 to describe a non-fact that is taken to be true because people continually see it written down (in newspapers). So ironically, because people continually see/hear the word factoid used incorrectly, it has 'come to mean' the incorrect meaning of a piece of trivia. Meta!

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 10:11 AM
This post reminds me how I miss Nicos moaning about Adrian Durham every day, who he did not listen to on Talksport, of course.

'Factoid' was supposedly coined by Norman Mailer in 1973 to describe a non-fact that is taken to be true because people continually see it written down (in newspapers). So ironically, because people continually see/hear the word factoid used incorrectly, it has 'come to mean' the incorrect meaning of a piece of trivia. Meta!

:hehe: I do like that

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
06-30-2017, 10:15 AM

Nicos? :shrug: :driving: :hehe: difference being I really don't listen to R2 unless the DAB in the car is playing up or Ken Bruce is on...

redgunamo
06-30-2017, 10:18 AM

The Habs? :-(

redgunamo
06-30-2017, 10:21 AM

A midfielder is, almost by definition, box-to-box, isn't he? Otherwise, which field is he supposed to be playing in the middle of.

redgunamo
06-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Midfield imo

Well said, P. Basically, "Bof :shrug: ..Wherever .."

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 10:32 AM
The Habs? :-(

No the Avs

SWv2
06-30-2017, 10:32 AM

The parallels with his ownership of the Arsenal are staggering.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 10:34 AM
The parallels with his ownership of the Arsenal are staggering.

Ah that's to come SW.

It's taken a good 10-15 years for them to become completely awful.

redgunamo
06-30-2017, 10:35 AM
No the Avs

Ah, I thought the whole Stanley Cup-thing was begun in Montreal.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Ah, I thought the whole Stanley Cup-thing was begun in Montreal.

They won it the most. I always sort of think of the of the Manchester United of the league.

Toronto are the spurs :-(

Peter
06-30-2017, 12:15 PM
No the Avs

Better than being the Av-nots ;)

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 12:20 PM

We don't necessarily need a holding midfielder, we just need someone to play with Xhaka who doesn't think that playing midfield involves playing simple square balls and then endlessly running forward looking for goals.

And who is good, of course.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Does he have red hair, though?

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2017, 12:23 PM
We don't necessarily need a holding midfielder, we just need someone to play with Xhaka who doesn't think that playing midfield involves playing simple square balls and then endlessly running forward looking for goals.

And who is good, of course.
:hehe: This is almost Richian in its lack of footballing knowledge. Wd wes. Good lunch down the pub?

Pokster
06-30-2017, 12:50 PM
:hehe: This is almost Richian in its lack of footballing knowledge. Wd wes. Good lunch down the pub?

:sherlock: Have we ever seen Rich and Wes at the same time??

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Well, that wasn't an out and out hooking, but it was clearly a strong nibble.

I win again. :cloud9:

Ash
06-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Well, that wasn't an out and out hooking, but it was clearly a strong nibble.

I win again. :cloud9:

There must be both singular and collective nouns somewhere to describe the sort of people who declare themselves "winners" on the internet.

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
There must be both singular and collective nouns somewhere to describe the sort of people who declare themselves "winners" on the internet.

Not to mention those people with the time on their hands to comment on it.

Ash
06-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Yeah, it took me feckin ages to write that.

Peter
06-30-2017, 03:08 PM

Now, now chaps. Let us not fall out. We all know whose fault this is. Aaron Ramsey.

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it took me feckin ages to write that.

It isn't a question of time, it's a question of motivation.

You can f*ck off now, there's a good chap. :wave:

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Now, now chaps. Let us not fall out. We all know whose fault this is. Aaron Ramsey.

Stop flirting with me, Peter. :love:

Peter
06-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Stop flirting with me, Peter. :love:

Sorry. I just really don't like him.

Backheeling ****....

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Sorry. I just really don't like him.

Backheeling ****....

No need to apologise, we are as one on this one, Peter. :thumbup:

The Xhaka/Ramsey midfield will get us killed against top opposition, mark my words.*

*Let's see which c*nt is stupid enough to bring up the FA Cup final :rolleyes:

Peter
06-30-2017, 03:34 PM
No need to apologise, we are as one on this one, Peter. :thumbup:

The Xhaka/Ramsey midfield will get us killed against top opposition, mark my words.*

*Let's see which c*nt is stupid enough to bring up the FA Cup final :rolleyes:

Xhaka I like. Anything/Ramsey is at best a one man midfield tugging a showboat.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Xhaka I like. Anything/Ramsey is at best a one man midfield tugging a showboat.

You do both realise that Ramsey will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season, as such.

The man Wenger loves him.

Peter
06-30-2017, 03:50 PM
You do both realise that Ramsey will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season, as such.

Of course. I would settle for seeing the back of Wilshere but I doubt we will get that either. At least he will be injured.

If I thought Ramsey might leave I would hate him less.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Of course. I would settle for seeing the back of Wilshere but I doubt we will get that either. At least he will be injured.

If I thought Ramsey might leave I would hate him less.

Wilshere cannot go anywhere without a buyer and then why would a club pay a ridiculously large fee for a player who appears to get injured a lot and who they can sign in 12 months for nothing.

It just would not make sense Pedro.

Ash
06-30-2017, 03:58 PM
It isn't a question of time, it's a question of motivation.

You can f*ck off now, there's a good chap. :wave:

Friday afternoon innit, and you're always up for a bit of jovial #bantz.

World's End Stella
06-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Oh absolutely. Which is one of the reasons that we will be out of the league at some point early in the new year.

Again.