PDA

View Full Version : Dishes you never find in Indian restaurants

Sir C
06-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

Why don't they serve the good stuff? Chicken tikka masala my įrse.

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

Bacon double cheese burger

The Insider
06-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Most proper curry houses in Manchester serve keema as an option on all dishes along side chicken, lamb, prawn etc. Down South they think mine is too common for the menu, but they will invariably serve it if you ask. In fact they are usually very happy to do so. Pepsila was my absolute fav. Hot keema with tandoori chicken pieces. Add fresh methi for the finest Indian dish ever!

Pat Vegas
06-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Bacon double cheese burger

:hehe: :hehe:

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
06-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

bothering them. I bet you speak just enough Urdu to make them uncomfortable.

Sir C
06-29-2017, 04:22 PM
bothering them. I bet you speak just enough Urdu to make them uncomfortable.

I think you'll find that most of these lads speak Bengali.

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 04:55 PM
I only really got into Indian food quite late in life, more's the pity.

Keema matar
Lal Maas

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

Dosa is one of my favourites

Chicken Tikka Masala isn't even Indian.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Good dosas at Woodlands.

There are quite a few excellent Indian restaurants all over UK at the mo.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Good dosas at Woodlands.

There are quite a few excellent Indian restaurants all over UK at the mo.

Best one I found so far is at Chennai Srilalitha in Kenton

SWv2
06-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

My local takeaway does Lal Maas.

Peter
06-30-2017, 09:18 AM
I think you'll find that most of these lads speak Bengali.

True. 90% are Bangladeshi and I think a massive percentage of them are from Sylhet.

Sir C
06-30-2017, 09:23 AM
My local takeaway does Lal Maas.

One assumes this is your dish of choice, sw?

IUFG
06-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

Low fat, "free from" and other such *******s.

Thankfully.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 09:28 AM
One assumes this is your dish of choice, sw?

Yes I have had in the past as I seem to recall it being labelled as hot which would be in line with my tastes in said cuisine.

Now we are talking Dublin 16 here so in all likelihood it is probably far from being really authentic and perhaps even not a direct version of the meal a man of your travels and taste may expect.

Sir C
06-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Yes I have had in the past as I seem to recall it being labelled as hot which would be in line with my tastes in said cuisine.

Now we are talking Dublin 16 here so in all likelihood it is probably far from being really authentic and perhaps even not a direct version of the meal a man of your travels and taste may expect.

A waiter in Jaipur once advised me that I couldn't have it because it would be 'too spicey' for my honky ass. Eventually he was persuaded to bring it forth, and I ate it under the wondering gaze of half the kitchen staff who gathered at the door to watch my head burst into flames.

In truth it was a little uncomfortable. Akin to dining on liquid fire. Not that I let them see that. :winning: :tigerblood:

SWv2
06-30-2017, 09:37 AM
A waiter in Jaipur once advised me that I couldn't have it because it would be 'too spicey' for my honky ass. Eventually he was persuaded to bring it forth, and I ate it under the wondering gaze of half the kitchen staff who gathered at the door to watch my head burst into flames.

In truth it was a little uncomfortable. Akin to dining on liquid fire. Not that I let them see that. :winning: :tigerblood:

Well quite, the correct behaviour here is to simply ask the waiter to rustle you up another one and to bring 3 lagers.

Burney
06-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Keema matar
Lal Maas

Keema Matar is lovely. Although it does have the disconcerting appearance of dog vomit.

Sir C
06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Keema Matar is lovely. Although it does have the disconcerting appearance of dog vomit.

I made it last night. Leftovers for lunch. The look has moved on overnight, from vomit to a sort of grey diarrhea.

No hope of making lal maas, sadly. Can't get the chillis. Or the mutton.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 10:55 AM
I made it last night. Leftovers for lunch. The look has moved on overnight, from vomit to a sort of grey diarrhea.

No hope of making lal maas, sadly. Can't get the chillis. Or the mutton.

I firmly believe that trying to recreate the full wonder of Indian food at home to be a waste of time. While one will prepare a perfectly nice meal, it is never really on the button.

Quite simply it is food to be delivered or eaten on the premises.

Sir C
06-30-2017, 11:01 AM
I firmly believe that trying to recreate the full wonder of Indian food at home to be a waste of time. While one will prepare a perfectly nice meal, it is never really on the button.

I agree in principle, but the keema matar really is straightforward to recreate.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 11:10 AM
I agree in principle, but the keema matar really is straightforward to recreate.

The absence of vile racist abuse directed towards me in this thread has been refreshing.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
06-30-2017, 11:16 AM
The absence of vile racist abuse directed towards me in this thread has been refreshing.

:nod: to be sure.

SWv2
06-30-2017, 11:18 AM
:nod: to be sure.

Good man 71 :hehe:

p.s. Ride album is still not really happening for me.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
06-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Good man 71 :hehe:

p.s. Ride album is still not really happening for me.

:thumbup: Fair dos. I haven't listened to it this week so maybe I was being a bit overenthusiastic....

Peter
06-30-2017, 12:18 PM

An Irishman bought a pair of water skis but he couldn't find a lake with a slope :D

Apologies...

Sir C
06-30-2017, 12:26 PM
An Irishman bought a pair of water skis but he couldn't find a lake with a slope :D

Apologies...

Hahahaha! So, Chalky walks into a bar... No. Wait.

Forget that one.

Peter
06-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Hahahaha! So, Chalky walks into a bar... No. Wait.

Forget that one.

What about Mexicans? can we still do them?

IUFG
06-30-2017, 01:00 PM
What about Mexicans? can we still do them?

Nope.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHMrNqQHVg

Sir C
06-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Nope.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHMrNqQHVg

What time's the bus jew :hehe:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-30-2017, 02:06 PM

I have never had a shop bought Indian better than one I have made at home. The only exceptions are dosa and making naan bread. I can never keep the tandoor hot enough for long enough for the naan bread..

Sir C
06-30-2017, 02:26 PM
I have never had a shop bought Indian better than one I have made at home. The only exceptions are dosa and making naan bread. I can never keep the tandoor hot enough for long enough for the naan bread..

Wait, you have a tandoor? :love:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Wait, you have a tandoor? :love:

:nod: Built one about 25 years ago. It lives in a regular Top Cat style trash can. On it's last legs now so will have to dig up more clay to rebuild shortly. Pizza oven comes first though.

Sir C
06-30-2017, 02:37 PM
:nod: Built one about 25 years ago. It lives in a regular Top Cat style trash can. On it's last legs now so will have to dig up more clay to rebuild shortly. Pizza oven comes first though.

You are a culinary adventurer, a. I doff my cap to you :chapeau:

SWv2
06-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Clearly when I spoke earlier about the inability of a home cook to reproduce Indian food I was not including stone mad lunatics.

The Insider
06-30-2017, 02:47 PM
I also have a Tandoor. Do I win £5?

Sir C
06-30-2017, 02:53 PM
I also have a Tandoor. Do I win £5?

Did you buy the tandoor or make the tandoor?

The Insider
06-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Bought directly from India by Mrs Insider. Via the internet. It is the dog's.....

Sir C
06-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Bought directly from India by Mrs Insider. Via the internet. It is the dog's.....

My word. I'm off to order one RIGHT NOW!

Wait, would that be cultural appropriation? :-(

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2017, 03:21 PM
All you need to make Indian food as goos as in most of their restaurants is to buy Camelia Panjabi's 50 Great Curries of India and followe the recipes faithfully.