PDA

View Full Version : I know it's the Beeb but I'll ask anyway:

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Is somebody called David Ornstein a reliable transfer news source? Says we're haggling for Lacazette.

Sir C
06-29-2017, 08:28 AM
Is somebody called David Ornstein a reliable transfer news source? Says we're haggling for Lacazette.

He is usually trustworthy, apparently, but on this occasion he is misinformed.

Lacazette, Lemar and Mbappe all in the bag, according to my sauce :ITK:

SWv2
06-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Your sources are incorrect and I suggest they are simply guessing based on media stories.

Lacazette, Lemar and Goretzka.

Funded partly by the sale of Sanchez in August.

p.s. Red - Ornstein is largely seen as being as good or trustworthy as any journalist. Make of that what you will.

Some of them are very heavy drinkers.

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 08:32 AM

My word. If all that's true then Wenger must've finally flipped His lid #fourth

Pokster
06-29-2017, 08:37 AM
My word. If all that's true then Wenger must've finally flipped His lid #fourth

Don't forget that Sir C is a muddled old goat who is currently looking forward to seeing Charlie George play again next season, anything he says must be taken with a pinch of salt

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Your sources are incorrect and I suggest they are simply guessing based on media stories.

p.s. Red - Ornstein is largely seen as being as good or trustworthy as any journalist. Make of that what you will.

looooooooooooool. Goretzka. Had him on FIFA once; far too tall for our Ben & Holly midfield formation, imo.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-29-2017, 08:49 AM

We will sign Lemar and Lacazette, the other chap not a chance. Possibly a late swoop for Mahrez once Alexis is gone.

Opening day of the season back to the old 4-3-3 with a front 4 of Lemar, Ozil, Mahrez and Lacazette :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2017, 08:53 AM

IAHYK

Ornstein is a bit of an arse imo - probably drinks lager tops

SWv2
06-29-2017, 08:58 AM
IAHYK

Ornstein is a bit of an arse imo - probably drinks lager tops

Puts ice cubes in his cider.

Fact!

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Fact!

Dirty *******- him not you

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Fact!

No snakebite for him then? Not a proper reporter, imo #fakenews

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 09:08 AM
We will sign Lemar and Lacazette, the other chap not a chance. Possibly a late swoop for Mahrez once Alexis is gone.

Opening day of the season back to the old 4-3-3 with a front 4 of Lemar, Ozil, Mahrez and Lacazette :cloud9:

Talking about heavy drinking ..

Peter
06-29-2017, 09:10 AM

So do many other news outlets. I am not expert in how this works but isn't there a good chance they are either copying each other or they all got it from the same source?

Is he any good?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
06-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Is he any good?

Good enough for us.

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Good enough for us.

Well put. That's exactly the right way to look at it, imo, the way things are.

Pat Vegas
06-29-2017, 09:22 AM

Ornstein is a big piss on your chips type character.
he'll always say Arsenal's business is done very early on deadline day or the day before.

Peter
06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Well put. That's exactly the right way to look at it, imo, the way things are.

Isn't the point of paying good money for players to raise the standard of what 'good enough for us' means?

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Isn't the point of paying good money for players to raise the standard of what 'good enough for us' means?

Well, yes. And, no.

I reckon if a player is good enough for us to offer a hundred million quid for him, then the player probably feels he is good enough to be playing for Real Madrid. But now that everybody believes we have a hundred million quid to spend, that will also be the price for almost anyone else we want, who, of course, may or not be actually good enough for us. Either way, we are forced to look elsewhere, for worse.

Hence: Danny Welbeck, for example.

Peter
06-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Well, yes. And, no.

I reckon if a player is good enough for us to offer a hundred million quid for him, then the player probably feels he is good enough to be playing for Real Madrid. But now that everybody believes we have a hundred million quid to spend, that will also be the price for almost anyone else we want, who, of course, may or not be actually good enough for us. Either way, we are forced to look elsewhere, for worse.

Hence: Danny Welbeck, for example.

With respect, nobody believed that Danny was going to raise the standard. He was cover at a decent price.

Spending 50 million on a striker is a different matter altogether. Being good enough for us doesn't justify that kind of money.

redgunamo
06-29-2017, 11:44 AM
With respect, nobody believed that Danny was going to raise the standard. He was cover at a decent price.

Spending 50 million on a striker is a different matter altogether. Being good enough for us doesn't justify that kind of money.

Yes, it does. That is why we are reluctant to spend it on such a player; we can't really afford for it not to work out, footballistically as well.

It's easy to justify Mesut's price tag but a fifty million pound striker who (for whatever reason) only scored as often as Danny Welbeck would be a disaster for us. For that sort of money, we'd demand Alan Smith or Thierry Henry.

Ash
06-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Is he any good?

OK for exactly 90 minutes. Stops playing after that.

Ash
06-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Good enough for us.

Not for Didier, though. The one we've already got is better, he thinks.

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Not for Didier, though. The one we've already got is better, he thinks.

Or maybe more suited to the style of football he wants to play

Ash
06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

:nod: he likes to draw things out so that the statue of limitations* comes into play.

* I owe you a royalty for that one.

SWv2
06-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Didier also regularly decides to play Sissoko so there may be a fundamental issue.

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Didier also regularly decides to play Sissoko so there may be a fundamental issue.

Ah the heady days of last summer when a certain Canadian argued til he was even redder in the face that we had really missed the boat on Newcastle's star player

World's End Stella
06-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Ah the heady days of last summer when a certain Canadian argued til he was even redder in the face that we had really missed the boat on Newcastle's star player

No chance. :hehe:

I win :-)