PDA

View Full Version : So I checked out Ed Sheeran last night.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 08:16 AM
To see what all the fuss is about.

He is clearly a technically gifted young man. To hold an audience alone and make such a sound by manipulating thon fancy pedal shows a remarkable musical dexterity. He's clearing put the time in and mastered his art.

But the blandness of it all! Jesus H Holy Christ, it's like listening to wallpaper paste!

Kids must be easily pleased these days; either that or their drug of choice is Mogadon.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-26-2017, 08:21 AM

He is clearly a technically gifted young man. To hold an audience alone and make such a sound by manipulating thon fancy pedal shows a remarkable musical dexterity. He's clearing put the time in and mastered his art.

But the blandness of it all! Jesus H Holy Christ, it's like listening to wallpaper paste!

Kids must be easily pleased these days; either that or their drug of choice is Mogadon.

They had Katy Perry at Glastonbury and a bunch of grime ********s. Music is dead, C.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 08:27 AM
They had Katy Perry at Glastonbury and a bunch of grime ********s. Music is dead, C.

I also caught a little of her set, and that of Stormzy. Basically I was just open-mouthed in bemusement. What came to mind were the obvious festival performances of the past. Dylan at the Monterey jazz festival. Jimi on the Monday morning at Woodstock, that sort of thing.

Music is, as you say, as dead as a dodo.

Liam was fun, mind. You can always rely on Liam.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
06-26-2017, 08:36 AM

what a splendid beat combo they were but then discovered they were in fact called King Gizard and the Lizard Wizzard. I imagine the singer fella is only allowed out of his straight jacket for the duration of his performance then it's straight back on the medication and a padded cell.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 08:39 AM
what a splendid beat combo they were but then discovered they were in fact called King Gizard and the Lizard Wizzard. I imagine the singer fella is only allowed out of his straight jacket for the duration of his performance then it's straight back on the medication and a padded cell.

Well that sounds like it has a personality, at least, so let's be grateful.

I've got a friend who plays trumpet in a jazz band who was asked to perform with a brass band on Sunday morning. A brass band called Black Dyke, no less.

Not my cup of tea, really.

Rich
06-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Thought the Foos were good on Saturday, mind you.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Yes, a decent show, but no better than that. Dave Grohl might be the Nicest Man in Rock n Roll but he writes some amazingly dull tunes.

Ash
06-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Up until they started doing Queen covers, when I switched them off. :-|

Also the whole 'glasto' thing makes me a little bit puke. Why are people waving flags FFS?

Burney
06-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Radiohead, though. Dreary, shoegazing shïte that only the dangerously pretentious could possibly imagine to be anything but self-important drivel.

Peter
06-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Yes, a decent show, but no better than that. Dave Grohl might be the Nicest Man in Rock n Roll but he writes some amazingly dull tunes.

They really are monumentally bland. That looked like the dullest Glastonbury in years. Radiohead bored the arse off me as well.

Peter
06-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Up until they started doing Queen covers, when I switched them off. :-|

Also the whole 'glasto' thing makes me a little bit puke. Why are people waving flags FFS?

Dumb flag scum. If you are hanging out by the main stage you are missing Glastonbury.

Pat Vegas
06-26-2017, 08:56 AM

:nod: but he's edgy as he puts an X on his acoustic.

Peter
06-26-2017, 08:57 AM
:nod: but he's edgy as he puts an X on his acoustic.

I lasted three songs before turning over. Not my cup of tea at all.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Radiohead, though. Dreary, shoegazing shïte that only the dangerously pretentious could possibly imagine to be anything but self-important drivel.

:hehe: Someone had the temerity to say something similar on facebook which occasioned Ian Harvey to wade in, guns blazing, in defence of his heroes. His argument appeared to be that not loving Radiohead is prima facie evidence of thickness.

Pat Vegas
06-26-2017, 08:58 AM
I lasted three songs before turning over. Not my cup of tea at all.

I love music but I am not interested at all in Glastonbury. I won't watch a second of it.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:00 AM
:hehe: Someone had the temerity to say something similar on facebook which occasioned Ian Harvey to wade in, guns blazing, in defence of his heroes. His argument appeared to be that not loving Radiohead is prima facie evidence of thickness.

There were long, long periods of silence. That isn't good enough. I hated it.

Liam was quite good. At least he is entertaining, if nothing else.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:02 AM
I love music but I am not interested at all in Glastonbury. I won't watch a second of it.

Well that is just sad, isn't it. Very sad indeed.

It is supposed to be good.

Burney

Yes. They're not so much a band as a cult as far as I can see. Every member of the cult has to keep repeating the mantra of their greatness for fear that otherwise reality may intrude and reveal the emperor in his birthday suit.

They have one or two decent songs that they milk shamelessly and the rest is pretty much whiny, tuneless dreck. Also, Thom Yorke has zero stage presence and a terrible voice.

Sir C

For all Oasis' faults, the time is approaching when we're going to remember them with regret as the last flowering of rock n roll music. :-(

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:04 AM

I flicked between them and some chap called Dizzee Rascal, who played upbeat, bouncy numbers that had the crowd dancing. Unlike Radiohead appeared to be interested in entertaining his audience and was doing a good job. Why anyone would have chosen to watch them rather than him is beyond me.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Yes. They're not so much a band as a cult as far as I can see. Every member of the cult has to keep repeating the mantra of their greatness for fear that otherwise reality may intrude and reveal the emperor in his birthday suit.

They have one or two decent songs that they milk shamelessly and the rest is pretty much whiny, tuneless dreck. Also, Thom Yorke has zero stage presence and a terrible voice.

Do you think that Thom Yorke developed that soul-twisting angst during his comfortable middle class Oxfordshire upbringing? Perhaps his experiences at the same public school as my bil are responsible for his tortured Weltanschaaung?

Or perhaps he's simply a pretentious prick. Who can say?

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:07 AM
For all Oasis' faults, the time is approaching when we're going to remember them with regret as the last flowering of rock n roll music. :-(

That time came a while ago didn't it? I mean, even I am finally admitting it. A Liam and Noel reunion might have saved Glastonbury, just about. A drunk Johnny Depp and a secret gig by The Killers just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Do you think that Thom Yorke developed that soul-twisting angst during his comfortable middle class Oxfordshire upbringing? Perhaps his experiences at the same public school as my bil are responsible for his tortured Weltanschaaung?

Or perhaps he's simply a pretentious prick. Who can say?

It's probably to do with him having a wonky eye. This has angsted him right up, I reckon.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:08 AM
I flicked between them and some chap called Dizzee Rascal, who played upbeat, bouncy numbers that had the crowd dancing. Unlike Radiohead appeared to be interested in entertaining his audience and was doing a good job. Why anyone would have chosen to watch them rather than him is beyond me.

I was watching Kate Tempest then. Probably the best thing I saw despite having seen exactly the same performance last year. That is pretty sad.....

To be fair to Radiohead, I don't like them at the best of times so I was never going to enjoy it....

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:11 AM
It's probably to do with him having a wonky eye. This has angsted him right up, I reckon.

They have some ok songs but didn't seem to play any of them. This is the Springsteen '**** the fans' approach to live performance. I am not sure I approve.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:11 AM
I flicked between them and some chap called Dizzee Rascal, who played upbeat, bouncy numbers that had the crowd dancing. Unlike Radiohead appeared to be interested in entertaining his audience and was doing a good job. Why anyone would have chosen to watch Radiohead rather than him is beyond me.

When Springsteen headlined it I was concerned for my hero. I thought he'd made a mistake. Given that he doesn't play festivals and that his lengthy sets often contain many obscure numbers, it seemed to me that a casual audience really wouldn't get it. Watching on TV it appeared that he smashed it out the park, as it were. It looked and sounded magnificent. The Guardian gave him 5 stars and the review started 'Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band put on a show so good it's quasi-religious – for nigh on three hours, Pilton becomes the Promised Land' A week later I encountered Ian Harvey who had been at Glastonbury and asked for his verdict. 'Embarrassing', he opined. 'People were streaming away to go and watch something else. He can't hold an audience like Radiohead.' The lying ****.

It is, as you say, a cult.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:12 AM
They have some ok songs but didn't seem to play any of them. This is the Springsteen '**** the fans' approach to live performance. I am not sure I approve.

Have you received a blow to the head, p?

World's End Stella
06-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Ian Harvey was on Facebook saying it was one of the best live sets ever.

Perfect. :clap:

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Have you received a blow to the head, p?

If you were in charge of set lists for a world tour of 100 dates, do you think Racing in the Street would appear more than 3 or 4 times?

A man can only tolerate Spirit in the Night so many times.

Pat Vegas
06-26-2017, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if she is still around but when I listened to the radio anything Jo Whiley used to harp on about I hated it.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Ian Harvey was on Facebook saying it was one of the best live sets ever.

Perfect. :clap:

Maybe if you love Radiohead it was brilliant. I thought it was unbelievably boring and more than a little irritating so I suppose that just proves I don't like Radiohead. I already knew that, so I turned over.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:18 AM
If you were in charge of set lists for a world tour of 100 dates, do you think Racing in the Street would appear more than 3 or 4 times?

A man can only tolerate Spirit in the Night so many times.

You're confusing 'fúck the fans' with 'not necessarily playing Peter's favourites', I'm afraid.

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:19 AM
When Springsteen headlined it I was concerned for my hero. I thought he'd made a mistake. Given that he doesn't play festivals and that his lengthy sets often contain many obscure numbers, it seemed to me that a casual audience really wouldn't get it. Watching on TV it appeared that he smashed it out the park, as it were. It looked and sounded magnificent. The Guardian gave him 5 stars and the review started 'Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band put on a show so good it's quasi-religious – for nigh on three hours, Pilton becomes the Promised Land' A week later I encountered Ian Harvey who had been at Glastonbury and asked for his verdict. 'Embarrassing', he opined. 'People were streaming away to go and watch something else. He can't hold an audience like Radiohead.' The lying ****.

It is, as you say, a cult.

I think it's fair to say that, in common with most Radiohead fans, Mr Harvey would give them a rave review if they just did an album of nursery rhymes. He would describe their version of 'Three Blind Mice' as "transcendent" and sneer viciously at anyone who failed to recognise the profundity of 'Baa Baa Black Sheep'.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:19 AM
I am not sure if she is still around but when I listened to the radio anything Jo Whiley used to harp on about I hated it.

She is still around. She was pretty much everywhere at Glastonbury.

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Maybe if you love Radiohead it was brilliant. I thought it was unbelievably boring and more than a little irritating so I suppose that just proves I don't like Radiohead. I already knew that, so I turned over.

I found myself gazing at for a good 20 minutes it in a sincere attempt to discern what anyone would like about it.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:22 AM
You're confusing 'fúck the fans' with 'not necessarily playing Peter's favourites', I'm afraid.

No.... I will tell you what it is. Its this ****ing triangle they put round the stage at every big gig.

Bruce only sees those sad *******s who sleep outside the stadium for three days just to get down the front. He plays to them. The hardcore, the worryingly obsessed. He then slings in a few hits for the casual fans and what gets left out is a large chunk of his best work.

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:25 AM
No.... I will tell you what it is. Its this ****ing triangle they put round the stage at every big gig.

Bruce only sees those sad *******s who sleep outside the stadium for three days just to get down the front. He plays to them. The hardcore, the worryingly obsessed. He then slings in a few hits for the casual fans and what gets left out is a large chunk of his best work.

Perhaps you ought to correspond with him on the question of his set lists, p? Tell him he's doing it all wrong.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Perhaps you ought to correspond with him on the question of his set lists, p? Tell him he's doing it all wrong.

:nod: He could definitely do with some advice, given that he has spent the last 40 years playing live shows to empty stadia.

You'd think he'd have sussed he's doing it all wrong by now.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:29 AM

I asked him if we wouldn't mind resting 'Working on the Highway' for a couple of gigs, given that it is one of the most irritating songs ever written. Unfortunately some of the language I used could have been interpreted as 'foul and abusive'...

I have to get down the front with a sign saying 'stop playing this **** and play something good, you ****..'

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:30 AM
:nod: He could definitely do with some advice, given that he has spent the last 40 years playing live shows to empty stadia.

You'd think he'd have sussed he's doing it all wrong by now.

Thick skin, clearly. I eagerly await an acoustic tour where he has no choice but to play some good stuff.

Peter
06-26-2017, 09:32 AM
I found myself gazing at for a good 20 minutes it in a sincere attempt to discern what anyone would like about it.

You just have to accept it as one of the things in life you will never understand.

Burney
06-26-2017, 09:42 AM
You just have to accept it as one of the things in life you will never understand.

Yeah. :-( Maybe Ian Harvey's right and I'm just too thick to get it? :shrug:

Sir C
06-26-2017, 09:45 AM

Well, clearly. Remember how concerned he was that one of their albums might be 'too accessible'? Imagine if scum like you and me could like it! How would Harvey and his ilk feel superior then?

Peter
06-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Maybe. Probably not. Its more that there is clearly something there that you don't see. That something may be total **** but once you accept that you are never going to be able to see it you can move on and watch Dizee Rascal

Luis Anaconda
06-26-2017, 10:20 AM

No, no he isn't

SWv2
06-26-2017, 11:17 AM

As a veteran of the festival from “back in the day” (natch) I tuned in with a small amount of excited anticipation.

Bar the headliners I must say that a lot of the acts I saw appeared like people who had won a competition to sing on the stage at Glastonbury, they were ****ing dire. Radiohead I turned over to Dizzy Rascal who I then turned off and retired for the evening. The Foo Fighters I have to admit I did not make it past the opening song and I steadfastly refuse to watch Ed Sheeran, god knows I hear him often enough on the radio without having to actually see him.

I saw that they rolled out The Killers yesterday as a surprise unannounced act. The Killers. The Fúcking Killers. Jesus Christ of almighty, the Killers.

Then of course there is the presenters who appear to range from smug to very smug.

Of course people will (correctly) point out that there is so much more to the festival than the Pyramid Stage and the headline acts.

I had flirted with the concept of attending this year as a birthday treat to myself. I am so glad I chose not to despite there being a handful of acts I would gladly have stood and watched.

Burney
06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
As a veteran of the festival from “back in the day” (natch) I tuned in with a small amount of excited anticipation.

Bar the headliners I must say that a lot of the acts I saw appeared like people who had won a competition to sing on the stage at Glastonbury, they were ****ing dire. Radiohead I turned over to Dizzy Rascal who I then turned off and retired for the evening. The Foo Fighters I have to admit I did not make it past the opening song and I steadfastly refuse to watch Ed Sheeran, god knows I hear him often enough on the radio without having to actually see him.

I saw that they rolled out The Killers yesterday as a surprise unannounced act. The Killers. The Fúcking Killers. Jesus Christ of almighty, the Killers.

Then of course there is the presenters who appear to range from smug to very smug.

Of course people will (correctly) point out that there is so much more to the festival than the Pyramid Stage and the headline acts.

I had flirted with the concept of attending this year as a birthday treat to myself. I am so glad I chose not to despite there being a handful of acts I would gladly have stood and watched.

I liked young Mr Rascal's set. It at least looked fun - lots of jumping up and down and crowd participation. Indeed, my nieces and nephew were there and report that to have been the highlight.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 11:25 AM
I liked young Mr Rascal's set. It at least looked fun - lots of jumping up and down and crowd participation. Indeed, my nieces and nephew were there and report that to have been the highlight.

Is he one of those shouty chaps, b? How would you describe his 'flow'?

Burney
06-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Is he one of those shouty chaps, b? How would you describe his 'flow'?

Indeed. Coloured fellow. His flow was peng.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Indeed. Coloured fellow. His flow was peng.

A bit like Stormzy then. I would describe him as on fleek.

Burney
06-26-2017, 11:35 AM
A bit like Stormzy then. I would describe him as on fleek.

I thought that was a term just used to describe eyebrows, tbh.

Sir C
06-26-2017, 11:36 AM

Oh. I wish I was down with the youth like you, b. Perhaps I could borrow your daughter for a while.

Burney
06-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Oh. I wish I was down with the youth like you, b. Perhaps I could borrow your daughter for a while.

She'll soon be in need of work this summer. Perhaps you could employ her as a youth consultant?

Sir C
06-26-2017, 12:48 PM
She'll soon be in need of work this summer. Perhaps you could employ her as a youth consultant?

My niece on v's side took a year after school before going to university for, I dunno, ****s and giggles. When v suggested to her that she would have to find a job for the year the whole family coughed and looked away awkwardly, like someone had farted. She is happily in receipt of tax-payers' money without any obligation, it seems, to even pretend to be interested in work.

It's fúcking disgraceful.

SWv2
06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Fleek or Stormzy?