PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, catching up on the world of Arsenal

SWv2
06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
I note Wenger has said how we would have won the CL if VAR was allowed at the time.

I do wish he would just say nothing sometimes.

:-(

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:25 PM
I note Wenger has said how we would have won the CL if VAR was allowed at the time.

I say that all the time.

What's VAR?

Luis Anaconda
06-23-2017, 02:28 PM

:shrug: He was asked which decisions VAR would make a difference, so obviously he said the one for their first goal. He didn't actually say we would definitely win it either. A bit of whimsical theorising on what might have been. How can anything possibly be wrong with that?

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I say that all the time.

What's VAR?

I've always known it to be short for Value Added Reseller, f.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Luis Anaconda
06-23-2017, 02:29 PM
I say that all the time.

What's VAR?

Venger AAAAAGHT, Right

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Double pist.

Pat Vegas
:shrug: He was asked which decisions VAR would make a difference, so obviously he said the one for their first goal. He didn't actually say we would definitely win it either. A bit of whimsical theorising on what might have been. How can anything possibly be wrong with that?

Would it be allowed to review free kicks? like when Eboue hit the deck which lead to our goal?

and I've only ever watched it once though as I've never wanted to see anything about that game twice.

Burney

We also would have won it if Thierry Henry had sorted his fùcking feet out.

Miss is as good as a mile, though.

SWv2
06-23-2017, 02:31 PM
I say that all the time.

What's VAR?

Video assisted refereeing, theory being that the goal by Eto'o would have been ruled out for offside.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Video assisted refereeing, theory being that the goal by Eto'o would have been ruled out for offside.

Classic Wenger. coming up with things from 11 years ago.

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Would it be allowed to review free kicks? like when Eboue hit the deck which lead to our goal?

and I've only ever watched it once though as I've never wanted to see anything about that game twice.

Me neither. In fact, due to Sir C's generosity with mind-bending chemicals that evening, I have very little actual memory of the game remaining, which is nice.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Me neither. In fact, due to Sir C's generosity with mind-bending chemicals that evening, I have very little actual memory of the game remaining, which is nice.

The only time I've seen bits of it when ITV liked to use it before any Arsenal champions league game just a a nice reminder.

SWv2
06-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Well you are clearly deluded if you think I am going to actually read or look into the full article.

He would have been better off saying Rooney diving to end the unbeaten run as that was a call beyond dispute, the offside issue still an issue of debate and/or doubt.

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Well you are clearly deluded if you think I am going to actually read or look into the full article.

He would have been better off saying Rooney diving to end the unbeaten run as that was a call beyond dispute, the offside issue still an issue of debate and/or doubt.

If there'd been video in that United game, Mike Riley would have been charged with conspiracy to commit fraud.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:39 PM

In my opinion our goal in the cup final was generous.
active or inactive etc. Ramsey went for the ball. and a handball. VAR would shut that **** down.

so maybe he shouldn't moan to much.

Luis Anaconda
06-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Well, I agree with you there. Can't even recall the Eto'o goal :cry: Couldn't really see through the rain. Thirteen minutes though, sw, 13 minutes

SWv2
06-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Well, I agree with you there. Can't even recall the Eto'o goal :cry: Couldn't really see through the rain. Thirteen minutes though, sw, 13 minutes

I expect it eats away at AW as he knows we could and should have won it.

Irrespective of a debateable offside call the miss by TH is still the main reason we lost.

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:44 PM
In my opinion our goal in the cup final was generous.
active or inactive etc. Ramsey went for the ball. and a handball. VAR would shut that **** down.

so maybe he shouldn't moan to much.

:hehe: The puffed-up outrage of a Chelsea fan I joshingly spoke to about that goal a couple of days later made me very resistant to the idea that there should ever be a system whereby dodgy goals are ruled out. I know we've had our bad decisions, but when bad decisions go your way, it's very sweet.

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:45 PM

Irrespective of a debateable offside call the miss by TH is still the main reason we lost.

Well, also Jens Lehmann acting like a cùnt, obvs.

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 02:46 PM

OK. I'll bite.

Having a man sent off early against a good side practically always means you will not win :-)

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:47 PM
OK. I'll bite.

Having a man sent off early against a good side practically always means you will not win :-)

:nod: Lehmann always gets too much of a free ride for this imo.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:49 PM

I blame him 3 times.
firstly for getting sent off. that pissed of Pires, and finally that meant that clown Almunia was on the pitch in a CL final against Barcelona FFS.

SWv2
06-23-2017, 02:52 PM
I blame him 3 times.
firstly for getting sent off. that pissed of Pires, and finally that meant that clown Almunia was on the pitch in a CL final against Barcelona FFS.

You could spin it out further and suggest that the enforced substitution of Almunia meant Dennis never got on either.

A huge **** up.

Wenger out.

Burney
06-23-2017, 02:54 PM
You could spin it out further and suggest that the enforced substitution of Almunia meant Dennis never got on either.

A huge **** up.

Wenger out.

For this reason - in addition to his acting the cünt in sundry other games and gifting Tottenham a draw in the game where we won the League at WHL - I can never get on board with all the nostalgia about 'Mad Jens'. I think the teutonic lunatic was basically a liability.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-23-2017, 02:55 PM
That was one of the saddest days of my virtual life.

We were immense. Almunia was superb for an hour and then he did his usual thing. We would have won it if either Titi or Freddie had tucked away their chances on seventy something minutes.

PSRB

Would have helped if the ref had just played an advantage of oh, say 2 seconds, rather than blowing immediately and sending Lehmann off

Pat Vegas

A huge **** up.

Wenger out.

:furious:

I still maintain at the time Lehmann wasn't popular. now he's looked back all fondly.

He also annoyed me the day we won the League at WHL.

Luis Anaconda
06-23-2017, 02:57 PM
:furious:

I still maintain at the time Lehmann wasn't popular. now he's looked back all fondly.

He also annoyed me the day we won the League at WHL.

Hugely popular in the Clock End - always got a great reception when he did his somersaults. Had a bit of a laugh with the crowd too

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 02:57 PM

Indeed. Although, of course, a spot of VAR would've come in handy there as well :-\

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Hugely popular in the Clock End - always got a great reception when he did his somersaults. Had a bit of a laugh with the crowd too

Actually I never sat in the clock end.

was always east stand or North bank and a rare West stand.

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Would have helped if the ref had just played an advantage of oh, say 2 seconds, rather than blowing immediately and sending Lehmann off

Yes, the official even admitted it afterwards, didn't he. ̶B̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶ Silly man.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Yes, the official even admitted it afterwards, didn't he. ̶B̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶ Silly man.

Strangely that was at the Barcelona victory party.

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Strangely that was at the Barcelona victory party.

Good point. That was what really screwed us, wasn't it; the original ref getting set up and framed wearing a Barcelona shirt. The whole thing was made to look as though we were accusing the officials of bias when it had nothing to do with us, did it.

Pat Vegas
06-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Good point. That was what really screwed us, wasn't it; the original ref getting set up and framed wearing a Barcelona shirt. The whole thing was made to look as though we were accusing the officials of bias when it had nothing to do with us, did it.

:nod: It was similar to 1988 when The Million Dollar man used a man who had plastic surgery to replace the real referee in order for Andrea the Giant to defeat Hulk Hogan for the world title.
https://ringthedamnbell.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/refimposter.jpg

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 04:09 PM
:nod: It was similar to 1988 when The Million Dollar man used a man who had plastic surgery to replace the real referee in order for Andrea the Giant to defeat Hulk Hogan for the world title.
https://ringthedamnbell.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/refimposter.jpg

Sounds interesting, but before my time. More importantly, before my sons' time.

redgunamo
06-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Germans, you see. They always enjoy a good laugh.

Exhibit A: In Berlin the other day, enjoying some of the local swill, the mustard on offer to accompany bar snacks was resplendent under the name "Bautz'ner", apparently named for the legendary Stasi, Nazi "secret" prison. Gave me quite a start, I can tell you.

My mind was put at rest though, as I was informed with a chuckle that the condiment firm is actually a little older than the penitentiary. Phew.