PDA

View Full Version : I have developed a habit of speeding on the motorway.

Pat Vegas
06-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Not because I am sort of speed freak. I think it's more I want to get off this motorway as soon as possible.
70 seems slow. it's weird I used to be nervous about this sort of thing.
I was driving home on the M11 last night was pretty clear and look down and I am doing 95 most of the time. I was surprised I reached the M25 so quickly.

I am not proud of this it just seems to have happened. I am sure if I get a ticket or kill someone/myself that will be the lesson learned.

barrybueno
06-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Not because I am sort of speed freak. I think it's more I want to get off this motorway as soon as possible.
I was driving home on the M11 last night was pretty clear and look down and I am doing 95 most of the time. I was surprised I reached the M25 so quickly.

I am not proud of this it just seems to have happened. I am sure if I get a ticket or kill someone/myself that will be the lesson learned.

You're doing nothing wrong P, it's the ****ty limit that needs changing. I think it was set in the 19 ****ing 60's!

Pat Vegas
06-13-2017, 11:39 AM
You're doing nothing wrong P, it's the ****ty limit that needs changing. I think it was set in the 19 ****ing 60's!

:thumbup: Plus it's the cars fault for being able to go so fast.

bbrian
06-13-2017, 11:51 AM

I go by the unwritten ten miles over the limit rule here and keep it at a steady 75 . The troopers leave you alone then . 85 if im feeling a litttle road ragey and some **** is not moving out of the left lane . If i crank it to 90 mph my truck starts to rattle like the space shuttle on take off . Never had a speeding ticket either . Well , not one i didnt have fixed

Ash
06-13-2017, 01:07 PM

95 is a bit quick, though unless the place is empty. When you need to pull out to get past a middle-lane slowcoach and someone's closing at that speed it's not good imo. If everyone drove at 80 on the motorway it would be better I reckon.

Pat Vegas
06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
95 is a bit quick, though unless the place is empty. When you need to pull out to get past a middle-lane slowcoach and someone's closing at that speed it's not good imo. If everyone drove at 80 on the motorway it would be better I reckon.

:nod: drives me mental and seems very common.

Or 2 lorries side by side that's always fun.

Ash
06-13-2017, 02:06 PM

That's the one. Two lanes of lorries going at 60 and 61 miles per hour and one lane of cars doing 90+. Ugh.
I hate motorway driving unless it's empty. Every moment feels like a battle to stay alive (and awake) while trying, as you say, to get off it as soon as possible. Coming back from Cornwall the other week, and the M5 was getting too congested so we came off and drove through Somerset. Glorious drive past Glastonbury and lovely countryside, then back on the motorway near Swindon for the grind back into town.

Peter
06-13-2017, 02:17 PM
That's the one. Two lanes of lorries going at 60 and 61 miles per hour and one lane of cars doing 90+. Ugh.
I hate motorway driving unless it's empty. Every moment feels like a battle to stay alive (and awake) while trying, as you say, to get off it as soon as possible. Coming back from Cornwall the other week, and the M5 was getting too congested so we came off and drove through Somerset. Glorious drive past Glastonbury and lovely countryside, then back on the motorway near Swindon for the grind back into town.

That is the M11 past Stansted. Massive pain in the arse all the way into Cambridgeshire.

IUFG
06-13-2017, 02:40 PM
That is the M11 past Stansted. Massive pain in the arse all the way into Cambridgeshire.

Where it turns into the A14. Another king-sized pain in the arse...

Pat Vegas
06-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Once I was coming home late on the M25 and it was pretty empty and there 3 lorries in all 3 lanes :-( like some rolling ro*******.
thats road block. stupid awimb

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-13-2017, 08:21 PM

I can't even drive, but my glw does. Around the turn of the century we were going to a free tekno festival (Teknival) in Holland in our really cheap Beemer 323i. (Got it from Rude Mercs/Rude Beemers in Hackney. They tarted up German motors for ragga drug dealers. Cos about £800.)

Missus driving, me in the front, two male mates in the back. Come off the ferry about 2am. Dunno if you know the road north from there but there's no payage, no cameras, really deserted etc.

It was really foggy so my beloved says she doesn't want any male egos, she will just follow the lights of the next car that overtakes, which she does.

Got the Joey Beltram tape on. Energy Flash is playing. Completely empty road in the fog with no motorway lights. After a bit, I look at the speedo and I say "Babe, we're doing 125." She says "That must be Kilometres per hour." "Er, no, babe, kms says just short of 200."

"Well **** it" says she, "I feel safer following him in this fog."

Eventually he pulls into a service station and we follow. We get out, 3 male crusty ravers looking like the dirty squatters we are. And my glw looking fairly chic as usual. He's got some brand spanking new top of the range Beemer. He looks at us, looks and my missus and gives her a polite nod. He even waited for us to get back into the car before driving off.

Think we went our separate ways around Antwerp.

Best car drive of my life. We all fell in love with that Joey Beltram Energy Flash. The tape was on auto-reverse and every time we heard it we knew we were 90 mins closer to the party. Only heard it 3 times by the time we got there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwI2AFlki4

Rich
06-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Had some ****ing clown pull out in front of me today doing 70mph and slowly overtaking. I was probably doing 90 or so but had to slam the anchors on. ****ing moronic driver with no spatial awareness.

As you say, cars are too fast. Mine will happily sit at 120 and is quiet, smooth, stable. If you couldn't see the speedo you would think it was 80.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Had some ****ing clown pull out in front of me today doing 70mph and slowly overtaking. I was probably doing 90 or so but had to slam the anchors on. ****ing moronic driver with no spatial awareness.

As you say, cars are too fast. Mine will happily sit at 120 and is quiet, smooth, stable. If you couldn't see the speedo you would think it was 80.

Exactly the same with that £800 beemer we had. It seems like it's kms but it's really mph.

We've only had a few cars. All the rest were total ****ters. £140 318i, a 1.1l hatchback for a few hundred. We drove round Europe in our Ford Cargo truck for years. £1,500. Top speed of 55mph. Great living vehicle. Raised double bed, Ikea settee, and we paid someone to build in a fitted kitchen and wood burner. Battery with AC inverter for lights and plug sockets.

You wouldn't have woried about us pulling out in front. Slow lane only.

Ash
06-14-2017, 08:51 AM

In which lane were you when you were exceeding the speed limit by 20mph?