PDA

View Full Version : I know this is hugely humiliating for May personally, but it does seem a leeetle bit

Monty92
06-09-2017, 07:41 AM
weird for Labour supporters to be celebrating so gleefully what is ultimately a defeat (assuming they cannot form a minority government) and one that will see continued Tory rule for the forseable.

Pokster
06-09-2017, 07:43 AM
weird for Labour supporters to be celebrating so gleefully what is ultimately a defeat (assuming they cannot form a minority government) and one that will see continued Tory rule for the forseable.

Since the only reason the election was called was because May assumed they would walk it with a huge majority, a Labour performance where they have confounded the critics must be seen as a good result... he has won more votes than Blair did when he won 2 elections.

Monty92
06-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Since the only reason the election was called was because May assumed they would walk it with a huge majority, a Labour performance where they have confounded the critics must be seen as a good result... he has won more votes than Blair did when he won 2 elections.

Of course it was a good result relative to expectations, but they lost :shrug:

The point of politics is to gain power.

Burney
06-09-2017, 07:45 AM

Well, yes. Amid all the glee, there must be the sneaking realisation that this is pretty much as good as it can get for them.

Pokster
06-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Of course it was a good result relative to expectations, but they lost :shrug:

The point of politics is to gain power.

They were never going to win... this result is the best result they could have possibly got

redgunamo
06-09-2017, 07:47 AM
If you have to lose, a narrow, battling defeat is better than the far heavier, humiliating one people may have expected.

That's not difficult to grasp, is it. Except if you're Wenger, I suppose :-\

Burney

And May won more votes than Cameron in 2015. That's kind of irrelevant, though.

Monty92
Well, yes. Amid all the glee, there must be the sneaking realisation that this is pretty much as good as it can get for them.

I warned you months and months ago that a mobilisation of the youth vote is not out of the question. You clearly don't spend enough time on Facebook :-(

Monty92
06-09-2017, 07:48 AM
They were never going to win... this result is the best result they could have possibly got

Which is what we've been telling Corbyn supporters for two years and they didn't believe us :shrug:

Burney
06-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Exactly. This is as good as it can get and they still lost. That must be a sobering thought for any Labour supporter, I'd have thought.

Burney
06-09-2017, 07:50 AM

I warned you months and months ago that a mobilisation of the youth vote is not out of the question. You clearly don't spend enough time on Facebook :-(

I send no time on Facebook because it's full of gibbering idiots.

Monty92
06-09-2017, 07:51 AM
I send no time on Facebook because it's full of gibbering idiots.

Honestly man, it's social media wot lost..,,,,.errrr "won" it for them.

I've been feeling it for weeks.

redgunamo
06-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Not necessarily; for them, the impossible now appears very possible indeed.

Still, at least we held on to Henley :-|

Pat Vegas
06-09-2017, 07:58 AM

I agree on this. And they are also celebrating that the country is now still unstable during a time where stability is needed.

redgunamo
06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
I agree on this. And they are also celebrating that the country is now still unstable during a time where stability is needed.

Stability means different things to different people, perhaps depending on which side you're on, for example.

Peter
06-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Exactly. This is as good as it can get and they still lost. That must be a sobering thought for any Labour supporter, I'd have thought.

As good as it can get? THis is with a radical, poorly thought out manifesto and a leader who is a bit of a twit. THe stunning thing is that 41% of the people voted for that manifesto. Are you telling me that doesn't concern you??

Burney
06-09-2017, 01:10 PM
As good as it can get? THis is with a radical, poorly thought out manifesto and a leader who is a bit of a twit. THe stunning thing is that 41% of the people voted for that manifesto. Are you telling me that doesn't concern you??

Oh, but the leader and the crazy manifesto is what got you all those extra votes in these febrile times, p. That and the Tories running the worst campaign in living memory. I doubt you'll see such a confluence of circumstances again.