PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol is more important than the election, imo. Anyone else become a gin hipster?

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 08:42 AM
I could guzzle G&Ts by the dozen so this trendy gin thing is most pleasant.

I used to drink Hendricks or Tanqueray no. 10 but have discovered a trendy one made near me called Silent Pool. Also bought a bottle of Gin Mare in duty free recently, both excellent.

And I drink them with orange peel, not lemon or lime. And when in Sevilla, they were serving them with a piece of lemon grass and a sprig of rosemary in massive glasses with loads of ice, also quite superb.

Mrs WES and I will vote (Tory of course) at about 8pm tonight and then steam into the trendy G&Ts in our local.

:cloud9:

Pokster
06-08-2017, 08:44 AM

I used to drink Hendricks or Tanqueray no. 10 but have discovered a trendy one made near me called Silent Pool. Also bought a bottle of Gin Mare in duty free recently, both excellent.

And I drink them with orange peel, not lemon or lime. And when in Sevilla, they were serving them with a piece of lemon grass and a sprig of rosemary in massive glasses with loads of ice, also quite superb.

Mrs WES and I will vote (Tory of course) at about 8pm tonight and then steam into the trendy G&Ts in our local.

But what tonic do you drink WES, is it that new trendy one, or are you a schweppes man?

Burney
06-08-2017, 08:48 AM

The thing I find odd about all this gin hipsterism is that in the context of a gin and tonic, the flavour of the gin is secondary. It's the background alcohol punch underlying the aromatics and the tonic. In fact, I find the quality of the tonic is rather more crucial to a good G&T than the gin itself.

Maravilloso Marvo
06-08-2017, 08:49 AM
But what tonic do you drink WES, is it that new trendy one, or are you a schweppes man?

:nod: It is all about the Fever Tree. Been an absolutely cracking addition to my Personal Account Dealing.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Wait, you get to vote? How come you get to vote? Does this mean I can vote in the Canadian elections? What nonsense is this now, foreigners can't vote in our elections!

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 08:52 AM
The thing I find odd about all this gin hipsterism is that in the context of a gin and tonic, the flavour of the gin is secondary. It's the background alcohol punch underlying the aromatics and the tonic. In fact, I find the quality of the tonic is rather more crucial to a good G&T than the gin itself.

True to some extent, but I do both. Trendy gin and trendy tonic. I use Fever Tree, and I think we favour one that says something about Mediterranean on it.

To be honest, once we start in on the G&Ts things get rather blurry quickly.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Last time I was in London for meeting, my boss and I put a healthy dent into the menu here

http://www.hotelcaferoyal.com/greenbar

The Caorunn is a very nice drop. Bought Gin Mare back from hols last year - also good. Settled for a bottle of Tanqueray this time. Five pm is gin o'clock in this office

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Wait, you get to vote? How come you get to vote? Does this mean I can vote in the Canadian elections? What nonsense is this now, foreigners can't vote in our elections!

Yes, as a permanent resident of the United Kingdom and a citizen of a commonwealth country I have every right that a British citizen does other than the right to carry a British passport. I think, anyway. And I certainly have the right to vote.

'Ave it. :-)

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Last time I was in London for meeting, my boss and I put a healthy dent into the menu here

http://www.hotelcaferoyal.com/greenbar

The Caorunn is a very nice drop. Bought Gin Mare back from hols last year - also good. Settled for a bottle of Tanqueray this time. Five pm is gin o'clock in this office

G&Ts in Germany?

Who'd a thunk that? Progress at some level, I suppose.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 08:57 AM

With our shiny new Irish passports can we vote in Irish elections, sir c? They seem to have gone a bit mental over there recently

Burney
06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
True to some extent, but I do both. Trendy gin and trendy tonic. I use Fever Tree, and I think we favour one that says something about Mediterranean on it.

To be honest, once we start in on the G&Ts things get rather blurry quickly.

Yes. Fever tree is ace and can enliven even Tesco Value Gin, I imagine. As I say, I'm not saying that different gins don't have different flavours - they clearly do and I have my own preferences (although I'm an old-fashioned Gordon's Export man at the end of the day). However, a lot of the subtleties of the gin do get lost in a mixer and since no-one in their right mind drinks neat gin, I do wonder about the value of these fancier gins.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Yes, as a permanent resident of the United Kingdom and a citizen of a commonwealth country I have every right that a British citizen does other than the right to carry a British passport. I think, anyway. And I certainly have the right to vote.

'Ave it. :-)

:-( 'Permanent' resident?

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Yes. Fever tree is ace and can enliven even Tesco Value Gin, I imagine. As I say, I'm not saying that different gins don't have different flavours - they clearly do and I have my own preferences (although I'm an old-fashioned Gordon's Export man at the end of the day). However, a lot of the subtleties of the gin do get lost in a mixer and since no-one in their right mind drinks neat gin, I do wonder about the value of these fancier gins.
:hide: I drank neat gin when it was the only thing left in the office the other week. Wasn't as bad as you would think

Burney
With our shiny new Irish passports can we vote in Irish elections, sir c? They seem to have gone a bit mental over there recently

My father clearly hadn't been following things and when I told him the next Teashop was going to be a poove he seemed genuinely shocked.

I haven't the heart to tell him he's half Indian as well :hehe:

Burney
:hide: I drank neat gin when it was the only thing left in the office the other week. Wasn't as bad as you would think

I drank it once as a teen. I vomited almost instantly.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 09:00 AM

I couldn't go through with it in the end, la. I tried, I really did, but my conscience wouldn't let me. :-(

Last night on twitter a random communist from Dublin called me a racist bollix. :-(

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 09:00 AM

I have found that the aromatics and tonic you choose go better with some gins than others, as opposed to some of the gins just being fundamentally better.

Silent Pool and orange peel are a wonderful match. With Hendricks and Gin Mare I preferred lime, as an example.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 09:01 AM
I drank it once as a teen. I vomited almost instantly.

A cold, young jenever with a beer chaser is a fine drink. Known as a 'kopstoot', or kick in the head.

World's End Stella
:-( 'Permanent' resident?

:nod: Until I retire to France and drink red wine until my liver gives out, anyway.

Burney
I couldn't go through with it in the end, la. I tried, I really did, but my conscience wouldn't let me. :-(

Last night on twitter a random communist from Dublin called me a racist bollix. :-(

:hehe: You should wear your badge with pride. Just as all tory voters should wear Caitlin Moran's 'cvnt' badge with pride.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 09:02 AM
My father clearly hadn't been following things and when I told him the next Teashop was going to be a poove he seemed genuinely shocked.

I haven't the heart to tell him he's half Indian as well :hehe:

Yes - best save that for another time. I am not sure which one would offend more. Lovely quote from him or his father along the lines of "I got away without facing too much racism because I was a doctor". The Irish love a medical man

Burney
06-08-2017, 09:03 AM
A cold, young jenever with a beer chaser is a fine drink. Known as a 'kopstoot', or kick in the head.

In general, I've decided I'm too old to be drinking neat spirit. Apart from Cognac, of course, but that doesn't really count.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 09:03 AM
:hehe: You should wear your badge with pride. Just as all tory voters should wear Caitlin Moran's 'cvnt' badge with pride.

I'm normally a fan of young Caitlin but she has me agreeing with Rod Liddle over this, the silly bitch

Pat Vegas
06-08-2017, 09:04 AM

He should go with Canada Dry.

Rich
06-08-2017, 09:05 AM

My one gripe is that many 'decent' tonics seem to come in impossibly small glass bottles. My G&T glasses consumes around two of these before it's full. Where can I purchase large (2l) bottles of good quality tonic?

Maravilloso Marvo
06-08-2017, 09:09 AM
My one gripe is that many 'decent' tonics seem to come in impossibly small glass bottles. My G&T glasses consumes around two of these before it's full. Where can I purchase large (2l) bottles of good quality tonic?

500ml in Tesco - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267004604&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+All+Products+%2B+Tesc o+Brand*PRODUCT+GROUP267004604*&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVQ-XTK5nEyoO1ZSjqiEWpaxnWBPkXrrhRiBA0Q61CPEaAtuL8P8HA Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rich
06-08-2017, 09:10 AM
In general, I've decided I'm too old to be drinking neat spirit. Apart from Cognac, of course, but that doesn't really count.

You could do worse than to enjoy a Disaronno over ice.

Rich
06-08-2017, 09:10 AM
500ml in Tesco - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267004604&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+All+Products+%2B+Tesc o+Brand*PRODUCT+GROUP267004604*&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVQ-XTK5nEyoO1ZSjqiEWpaxnWBPkXrrhRiBA0Q61CPEaAtuL8P8HA Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which part of 2l+ did you fail to understand, MM?

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Those small Fever Tree bottles are comfortably enough for a double shot of gin.

You really don't need to make a single G&T with more than two shots of gin, Rich.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 09:11 AM
You could do worse than to enjoy a Disaronno over ice.

He's not gay.

Maravilloso Marvo
06-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Which part of 2l+ did you fail to understand, MM?

As WES points out, you are doing something wrong if one SMALL bottle isn't enough. Yet you are still complaining about a 500ml bottle. This isn't Fanta mate, you don't need 2 litres of it.

World's End Stella
06-08-2017, 09:19 AM
As WES points out, you are doing something wrong if one SMALL bottle isn't enough. Yet you are still complaining about a 500ml bottle. This isn't Fanta mate, you don't need 2 litres of it.

Not too mention that the large bottles then go slightly still the next day. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want the smaller bottles.

Maybe Rich has an alcohol problem and he should see his doctor about it. :sherlock:

Burney
06-08-2017, 09:19 AM
He's not gay.

:hehe: I was briefly shocked into silence by that, I must admit.

The only time I've drunk DiSaronno was in my student days when a girlfriend for some reason brought me a bottle back from Germany. It stayed untouched until the heating in our flat packed up (in Leeds in winter), so my flatmate and I ended up fully-dressed, wrapped in duvets and swigging DiSaronno from the bottle in an effort to keep warm.

Sir C
06-08-2017, 09:22 AM

The only time I've drunk DiSaronno was in my student days when a girlfriend for some reason brought me a bottle back from Germany. It stayed untouched until the heating in our flat packed up (in Leeds in winter), so my flatmate and I ended up fully-dressed, wrapped in duvets and swigging DiSaronno from the bottle in an effort to keep warm.

I've never tasted the stuff but assume it is some foul concoction designed for chicks.

Burney
06-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I've never tasted the stuff but assume it is some foul concoction designed for chicks.

Yes. It's basically alcoholic marzipan.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2017, 09:41 AM

:hehe: There's a sitcom episode in the making right there (of course, in TV world your friend would now be Jorge, allowing for playful political banter from either end of the spectrum)

Sir C
06-08-2017, 09:42 AM
:hehe: There's a sitcom episode in the making right there (of course, in TV world your friend would now be Jorge, allowing for playful political banter from either end of the spectrum)

We must remember him in our prayers tomorrow #prayforjorge

He'll be spitting feathers :hehe:

Burney
06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
We must remember him in our prayers tomorrow #prayforjorge

He'll be spitting feathers :hehe:

So you don't think tomorrow would be the best day to extend the olive branch and suggest we let bygones be bygones? :rubchin: