PDA

View Full Version : Abbott gone. Does he think getting rid of her the day before the election is

Billy Goat Sverige
06-07-2017, 08:11 AM
going to help? I see her incompetence is now being put down to "illness" :rolleyes:

World's End Stella
06-07-2017, 08:17 AM
going to help? I see her incompetence is now being put down to "illness" :rolleyes:

Hard to see this as anything other than another disaster for Labour.

Of course, we should all feel terrible about the way she's been bullied during the election campaign. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/06/diane-abbott-bullying-shadow-home-secretary-attacks

World's End Stella
06-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Jesus H Christ - I just discovered that she went to Cambridge.

And there was me thinking that getting into Oxbridge must be some kind of achievement.

Burney
06-07-2017, 08:22 AM

Of course, we should all feel terrible about the way she's been bullied during the election campaign. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/06/diane-abbott-bullying-shadow-home-secretary-attacks

That article made me laugh. 'Yes, she's grossly incompetent, but pointing it out means you're still a racist/sexist'.

Hinsliff would be tearing into any white, male, tory politician who displayed similar levels of hopelessness without a second thought. She doesn't seem to get that holding Abbott to a lower standard is pretty much the definition of racism.

Pat Vegas
06-07-2017, 08:24 AM

My vote is still up for grabs.
Labour have put too many leaflets through my door and all say different things. I don't like this.
Conservatives 1 nice letter addressed to me personally.
Lib Dems put something through the door but ages ago.

Whilst on the surface I might not be in a desirable area of London just a few mins around the corner there are plenty of posh houses.

Monty92
06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
That article made me laugh. 'Yes, she's grossly incompetent, but pointing it out means you're still a racist/sexist'.

Hinsliff would be tearing into any white, male, tory politician who displayed similar levels of hopelessness without a second thought. She doesn't seem to get that holding Abbott to a lower standard is pretty much the definition of racism.

The odious **** of a woman herself claimed that David Davis was a racist misogynist for saying he wouldn't kiss her because he's not blind.

Burney
06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
My vote is still up for grabs.
Labour have put too many leaflets through my door and all say different things. I don't like this.
Conservatives 1 nice letter addressed to me personally.
Lib Dems put something through the door but ages ago.

Whilst on the surface I might not be in a desirable area of London just a few mins around the corner there are plenty of posh houses.

Then it seems clear to me that you must vote tory, f.

Seriously, vote tory. You don't have to like them, but voting Labour in this campaign endorses the truly appalling Corbyn leadership.

Pat Vegas
06-07-2017, 08:44 AM

Seriously, vote tory. You don't have to like them, but voting Labour in this campaign endorses the truly appalling Corbyn leadership.

Actually I always vote for them but I wanted to keep an open mind. I read their election campaign materials and especially Labour won and none of the points were in my selfish interests. It's weird my parents always vote conservative but the rest of my family are very much Labour voters. When I used to vote when I lived in Islington it was pretty worthless to vote for the Conservatives. Now I am in Enfield Southgate.
my wife on the other hand is a communist who isn't allowed to vote.

Burney
06-07-2017, 08:45 AM
The odious **** of a woman herself claimed that David Davis was a racist misogynist for saying he wouldn't kiss her because he's not blind.

Yes. While her replacement actively abuses people who actually are blind.

Labour really is an unbelievable sh1tshow. :hehe:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015202/MP-letter-blast-blind-man-Out-way-Labour-whip-shouts-reporter.html

Luis Anaconda
06-07-2017, 08:49 AM

More importantly - cheating Kiwi ****s

Billy Goat Sverige
06-07-2017, 08:51 AM

That's a given, LA. It will only get worse against the All Blacks.

Ash
06-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Actually, a tactical vote for Labour in some London constituencies is the only sensible option to keep the Illiberal Undemocrats out. I keep getting shrill leaflets from their candiate promising to try and reverse the referendum. And after all, it seems to be forgotten that this was supposed to be a GE to sure up the referendum decision. So my policy is to vote to keep out the Remoaniest option, and to vote for a EU-sceptic candidate where possible. Which in my case happens to be dear old Jeremy on both counts.

I won't deny that there is a lack of overall quality in the labour leadership squard. This reflects the Blairite domination of the parliamentary party and the paucity of genuine options on the left flank. That said, the Tory campaign and leader can be criticised also, and personally I would rather vote for a EU-sceptic with a sound record of opposing imperialism than a genuine remainer who, as home secretary, allowed known British terrorists to travel to Libya and Syria to advance the causes and terratorial gains of Islamism in persuit of wrong-headed regime-change policies, and to learn how to make bombs to kill us while they were there.

World's End Stella
06-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Actually, a tactical vote for Labour in some London constituencies is the only sensible option to keep the Illiberal Undemocrats out. I keep getting shrill leaflets from their candiate promising to try and reverse the referendum. And after all, it seems to be forgotten that this was supposed to be a GE to sure up the referendum decision. So my policy is to vote to keep out the Remoaniest option, and to vote for a EU-sceptic candidate where possible. Which in my case happens to be dear old Jeremy on both counts.

I won't deny that there is a lack of overall quality in the labour leadership squard. This reflects the Blairite domination of the parliamentary party and the paucity of genuine options on the left flank. That said, the Tory campaign and leader can be criticised also, and personally I would rather vote for a EU-sceptic with a sound record of opposing imperialism than a genuine remainer who, as home secretary, allowed known British terrorists to travel to Libya and Syria to advance the causes and terratorial gains of Islamism in persuit of wrong-headed regime-change policies, and to learn how to make bombs to kill us while they were there.

Does the fact that the person you might be voting for achieved two Es at A level because he's thick as two short planks play any part in your decision making process, Ash?

It's a serious question, BTW.

Sir C
06-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Actually I always vote for them but I wanted to keep an open mind. I read their election campaign materials and especially Labour won and none of the points were in my selfish interests. It's weird my parents always vote conservative but the rest of my family are very much Labour voters. When I used to vote when I lived in Islington it was pretty worthless to vote for the Conservatives. Now I am in Enfield Southgate.

Happy birthday f.

Monty92
06-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Is your tactical vote simply about decimating the Lib Dems, or would you actually rather see a Labour than a Tory government?

Burney
06-07-2017, 09:02 AM

Ha! That is an amusingly rosy view of Corbyn, a. Your 'EU-sceptic' publicly backed Remain and even campaigned for it - albeit half-heartedly. You're also voting for a party that's incredibly wobbly on Brexit, while the tories have largely buried their differences and are respecting the public will.
And as for links with Islamism, I really don't think Corbyn's record there bears close examination, do you?

On another note, the most interesting thing about this election is how much it hasn't been about Brexit and how it's fallen back into traditional party lines. Indeed, the two parties with the biggest Brexit axes to grind (UKIP and the Lib Dems) are suffering badly as a result of putting all their eggs in the Brexit basket.

Burney
06-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Well I think this is something for which we all ought to be grateful, f. If only we could stop all communists from being allowed to vote.

Pat Vegas
06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Happy birthday f.

Thank you Sir.

Ash
06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Does the fact that the person you might be voting for achieved two Es at A level because he's thick as two short planks play any part in your decision making process, Ash?

It's a serious question, BTW.

Do you think I'm thick, WES?

I'm no academic high-fligher either, and I don't equate academic success with intelligence.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-07-2017, 09:06 AM

****ing braindead idiot getting a yellow there.

Sir C
06-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Anything which dignifies Corbyn is an act of treachery against your fellow citizens, I'm afraid.

Luis Anaconda
06-07-2017, 09:10 AM
****ing braindead idiot getting a yellow there.

Welsh - bloody Welsh

Ash
06-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Ha! That is an amusingly rosy view of Corbyn, a. Your 'EU-sceptic' publicly backed Remain and even campaigned for it - albeit half-heartedly. You're also voting for a party that's incredibly wobbly on Brexit, while the tories have largely buried their differences and are respecting the public will.
And as for links with Islamism, I really don't think Corbyn's record there bears close examination, do you?

On another note, the most interesting thing about this election is how much it hasn't been about Brexit and how it's fallen back into traditional party lines. Indeed, the two parties with the biggest Brexit axes to grind (UKIP and the Lib Dems) are suffering badly as a result of putting all their eggs in the Brexit basket.

His half-hearted campaign certainly helped the Leave cause, yes, and he led his party to vote to activate article 50. Of course, I regret that he betrayed his genuine opposition to the EU, which he did to save his leadership. And yes, Labour is predominantly pro-EU, but so were the Conservatives. We vote for MPs though, and they will ultimately vote on Brexit. I have considered voting Conservative, but that would risk allowing the Lib Dem in. I expect the Tories to win, and probably want them to tbh, but my vote must count to keep the anti-democrat out of my constituency, which will never be Tory.

World's End Stella
06-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Do you think I'm thick, WES?

I'm no academic high-fligher either, and I don't equate academic success with intelligence.

Oh not at all, I'd much rather have you as PM than Corbyn, Ash. :-)

What I find intriguing in this whole mess is the amount of indignation and shock that went along with the Brexit and Trump votes when it seems clear to me (and always did) that those votes didn't endanger our way of life nearly as much as a Corbyn election win would. I ad lunch with someone the other day who is clearly a very intelligent man and yet he was planning on voting Labour for no reason other than 'I won't vote Tory and there are no other options'.

Quite astonishing is the British voting public, I think.

Pokster
06-07-2017, 09:16 AM

What I find intriguing in this whole mess is the amount of indignation and shock that went along with the Brexit and Trump votes when it seems clear to me (and always did) that those votes didn't endanger our way of life nearly as much as a Corbyn election win would. I ad lunch with someone the other day who is clearly a very intelligent man and yet he was planning on voting Labour for no reason other than 'I won't vote Tory and there are no other options'.

I think voting Trump endangers life more than anyone in recent history

Ash
06-07-2017, 09:20 AM

One could easily make a case for saying the same thing about Hillary.

Burney
06-07-2017, 09:20 AM
His half-hearted campaign certainly helped the Leave cause, yes, and he led his party to vote to activate article 50. Of course, I regret that he betrayed his genuine opposition to the EU, which he did to save his leadership. And yes, Labour is predominantly pro-EU, but so were the Conservatives. We vote for MPs though, and they will ultimately vote on Brexit. I have considered voting Conservative, but that would risk allowing the Lib Dem in. I expect the Tories to win, and probably want them to tbh, but my vote must count to keep the anti-democrat out of my constituency, which will never be Tory.

I understand the dynamics, of course. And voting Tory in Islington is largely pointless, I agree. However, I simply couldn't ever bring myself to vote for a man who has espoused the causes and willingly made the associations Corbyn has.
Simply put: I sincerely believe him to be a traitor to this country. :shrug:

Burney
06-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Voting in this country is still very tribal, to be fair. I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote Labour, but equally, if there were a right-wing equivalent of Corbyn in charge of the tories, I wouldn't vote for them. How otherwise decent Labour voters can hold their noses and vote for Corbyn I simply cannot understand.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Welsh - bloody Welsh

Brilliant try, but why the **** kick it there? Feels like they were playing for the end of the game with 7 minutes left.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Gatland is a dinosaur.

Luis Anaconda
06-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Gatland is a dinosaur.

Harsh on dinosaurs - at least they had the decency to become extinct

redgunamo
06-07-2017, 09:50 AM

I think he's actually doing OK. There's an awful lot of noise around him and his administration, of course, but beneath that he's making real progress on a number of serious policy goals. Net Neutrality, the Paris agreement, Workers' safety and health policy, undocumented immigration, abortion funding, energy policy and so on. Plus a load of foreign affairs matters that any president always has loads of leeway with, as it doesn't rely on the legislative process.

Burney
06-07-2017, 09:59 AM
I think he's actually doing OK. There's an awful lot of noise around him and his administration, of course, but beneath that he's making real progress on a number of serious policy goals. Net Neutrality, the Paris agreement, Workers' safety and health policy, undocumented immigration, abortion funding, energy policy and so on. Plus a load of foreign affairs matters that any president always has loads of leeway with, as it doesn't rely on the legislative process.

I tend to agree. He doesn't mind looking bad and getting things done, whereas his predecessor cared far more about looking good than actually achieving anything.

wd The Donald imo.

World's End Stella
06-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quite. Donald isn't smart enough to take all the decisions himself but he's smart enough to realize it, despite all his faults.

I remain unconvinced this is true for Jeremy Corbyn.

Yesterday Once More
06-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty chilled about the outcome. If the opinion polls had continued to show a landslide, there would be a real danger of complacency. The media have bigged Corbyn up plenty over the past three weeks, and the recent terrorist outrages have sharpened voters' minds about what the dangers of a Corbyn win would really mean.

I believe his campaign bubble was similar to Nick Clegg's in the early stages of the 2010 election, and it will be proved to have burst by tomorrow.