PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 million expected to try and cross the Med this year

Mo Britain less Europe
05-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Fancy a bit of that Mrs Merkel?

If 0.1% of them, a statistically insignificant figure, support terrorism that will be an extra 6,600 for the security agencies to have to try and monitor.

Not one. Tow them back, fly them back, sink their ships, let the toddlers drown in the salty murk. Not one of them.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Fancy a bit of that Mrs Merkel?

If 0.1% of them, a statistically insignificant figure, support terrorism that will be an extra 6,600 for the security agencies to have to try and monitor.

Not one. Tow them back, fly them back, sink their ships, let the toddlers drown in the salty murk. Not one of them.

You see when this happens you just let it sink. While they keep rescuing them they'll keep coming.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/23/21/3BB2C64A00000578-4535454-image-a-9_1495572524645.jpg

IUFG
05-24-2017, 12:07 PM
You see when this happens you just let it sink. While they keep rescuing them they'll keep coming.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/23/21/3BB2C64A00000578-4535454-image-a-9_1495572524645.jpg

It would be inhumane not to rescue them.

Rescue them, take them back whence they came, shirley?

Billy Goat Sverige
05-24-2017, 12:10 PM

At the minute the countries won't take them back. I read the EU is going to have to arrange similar agreements with the countries from where they depart as the one they have with Turkey, meaning paying them billions of euros to stop the boats from leaving in the first place.

Burney
05-24-2017, 12:18 PM

Actually, as I pointed out a couple of years back, the truly humane thing to have done would have been to sink a couple of them back then and let the occupants drown. That would have discouraged more from coming and saved thousands of lives longer term - as well as relieving Europe of a huge burden.

We're too squeamish to do such things of course. Ho-hum.

Pokster
05-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Actually, as I pointed out a couple of years back, the truly humane thing to have done would have been to sink a couple of them back then and let the occupants drown. That would have discouraged more from coming and saved thousands of lives longer term - as well as relieving Europe of a huge burden.

We're too squeamish to do such things of course. Ho-hum.

Thank goodness

Mo Britain less Europe
05-24-2017, 01:04 PM
I actually started writing something where a special force is set up by the EU to sink all the ships. Sort of Blade Runner meets Terra Firma.

Burney
05-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Thank goodness

Well, yes. It's less upsetting, certainly. It would be better, of course, but nobody really cares about what's best. They prefer what they can feel good about.

Monty92
05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Well, yes. It's less upsetting, certainly. It would be better, of course, but nobody really cares about what's best. They prefer what they can feel good about.

It's more what we can't feel bad about, though, isn't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Pat Vegas
05-24-2017, 01:40 PM

:nod: can't be chilling out on the beach in Italy with African fellas disturbing your day washing up on the shores.

I prefer the current style in Italy at the Beach where African fellas disturbing you by trying to sell you handbags, sunglasses etc.

Burney
05-24-2017, 01:53 PM
It's more what we can't feel bad about, though, isn't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Naturally. It is easier on the conscience not to act rather than to calculate and act decisively for the better when both have negative consequences. One is an act of killing, the other a sin of omission (or abdication of moral responsibility).

Pokster
05-24-2017, 01:57 PM

Who is to say that it would be best... like Monty's trolley test, there is no guarantee that going hell for leather and taking extreme measures will make it better in the long run.

That will be why that is hasn't happened yet...... you could say Iraq was the going in hard and making things better in the long run, it hasn't worked out like that yet.

Burney
05-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Who is to say that it would be best... like Monty's trolley test, there is no guarantee that going hell for leather and taking extreme measures will make it better in the long run.

That will be why that is hasn't happened yet...... you could say Iraq was the going in hard and making things better in the long run, it hasn't worked out like that yet.

There are no guarantees of anything other than the fact that doing the same thing again and again will always bring the same result. :shrug:

Monty92
05-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Erm...there's no question which is the best long-term scenario with the Trolley test.

eastgermanautos
05-25-2017, 03:44 AM
Erm...there's no question which is the best long-term scenario with the Trolley test.

Boats of rats which should be mitigated by approved methods. Chemical, weaponical, jurisdictional.