PDA

View Full Version : How long until the first Simon Jenkins piece explaining how we

Sir C
05-23-2017, 08:47 AM
should react to terrorist attacks by doing nothing?

I give it until 11 at the latest.

Burney
05-23-2017, 08:50 AM

Yes, The Guardian has him on speed dial for these occasions, I think. He can patiently explain to us once again how taking steps that might actually stop them committing these atrocities IS EXACTLY WHAT THE TERRORISTS WANT.

Monty92
05-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Let's not forget that we are also two weeks away from potentially electing as Prime Minister a man who believes last night was, to a certain extent, justified, on the grounds of moral relativism.

Mo Britain less Europe
05-23-2017, 08:56 AM
He probably thinks there's votes in this for him as people tend to be appeasers.

Burney
05-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Let's not forget that we are also two weeks away from potentially electing as Prime Minister a man who believes last night was, to a certain extent, justified, on the grounds of moral relativism.

You don't seriously think he's going to get elected? :hehe:

The tories are making a hames of their campaign, but that still isn't going to convince people to vote for Corbyn, I'm happy to say.

The polls are over-estimating Labour once again. Labour is simply enjoying a dead cat bounce.

Mo Britain less Europe
05-23-2017, 08:59 AM
You don't seriously think he's going to get elected? :hehe:

The tories are making a hames of their campaign, but that still isn't going to convince people to vote for Corbyn, I'm happy to say.

The polls are over-estimating Labour once again. Labour is simply enjoying a dead cat bounce.

It's still disgraceful that a guy who approves of anti-British terrorism is going to get millions of votes and become Leader of the Opposition. Comparisons with Michael Foot are simply way off the mark, the man might have been a windbag but he was a patriot.

Sir C
05-23-2017, 08:59 AM

And of course we might have a Home Seceretary who believes that, 'every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us.'

These fúckers should be locked up.

Sir C
05-23-2017, 09:01 AM
It's still disgraceful that a guy who approves of anti-British terrorism is going to get millions of votes and become Leader of the Opposition. Comparisons with Michael Foot are simply way off the mark, the man might have been a windbag but he was a patriot.

You have forgotten that in 21st century culturally Marxist UK, 'patriot' is spelt 'racist' or 'fascist'.

Burney
05-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Oddly enough, I rather welcome the fact Corbyn as leader is revealing that large elements of the left are being revealed for what they really are: namely profoundly treasonous and anti-British. They've always been able to hide their true nature as concern for others before now, but now that facade is being removed.

Sir C
05-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Oddly enough, I rather welcome the fact Corbyn as leader is revealing that large elements of the left are being revealed for what they really are: namely profoundly treasonous and anti-British. They've always been able to hide their true nature as concern for others before now, but now that facade is being removed.

But the terrifying reality is that such attitudes have become so mainstream, there appears to be no real widespread revulsion at the exposure of these views. They should be polling 6%, for Christ's sake.

Burney
05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
But the terrifying reality is that such attitudes have become so mainstream, there appears to be no real widespread revulsion at the exposure of these views. They should be polling 6%, for Christ's sake.

:shrug: But we live in a country where millions have been brought up to hate all outward manifestations of their own nation. People like Jorge are allowed to walk the streets, talking treason without being lynched.

Sir C
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
:shrug: But we live in a country where millions have been brought up to hate all outward manifestations of their own nation. People like Jorge are allowed to walk the streets, talking treason without being lynched.

It's truly, deeply depressing.

redgunamo
05-23-2017, 09:44 AM

You're of that sort too though, aren't you, supporting Ireland at the rugby and refusing to fly the flag or cheer the England football team and whatnot?

Burney
05-23-2017, 09:55 AM
You're of that sort too though, aren't you, supporting Ireland at the rugby and refusing to fly the flag or cheer the England football team and whatnot?

These are piffling, frivolous things, though. It is quite possible to eschew the England football or rugby team while remaining a proud Englishman. Equally, it is possible to have another national sporting allegiance for reasons of ons's ancestry and not be treasonous. Contrary to what Norman Tebbit thinks, sport is a poor indicator of true national allegiance because - well, because it's just sport. :shrug:

There's a reason everyone took the pîss out of Norman Tebbit for his ludicrously narrow view of nationhood. :shrug:

redgunamo
05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
These are piffling, frivolous things, though. It is quite possible to eschew the England football or rugby team while remaining a proud Englishman. Equally, it is possible to have another national sporting allegiance for reasons of ons's ancestry and not be treasonous. Contrary to what Norman Tebbit thinks, sport is a poor indicator of true national allegiance because - well, because it's just sport. :shrug:

There's a reason everyone took the pîss out of Norman Tebbit for his ludicrously narrow view of nationhood. :shrug:

Fair enough, but it surely must've occured to you that that's how it starts. Disallowing, disavowing "outward manifestations of their own nation", especially when it's England, or the English for that matter, plays into their hands.

Anyway, nobody in Henley was taking the piss out of Tebbit.

Burney
05-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Fair enough, but it surely must've occured to you that that's how it starts. Disallowing, disavowing "outward manifestations of their own nation", especially when it's England, or the English for that matter, plays into their hands.

Anyway, nobody in Henley was taking the piss out of Tebbit.

In a country that exists as an uncomfortable historical amalgam of four different national identities, trying to define one 'correct' sporting allegiance is always going to be rather tricky, though, don't you think?

redgunamo
05-23-2017, 10:53 AM
In a country that exists as an uncomfortable historical amalgam of four different national identities, trying to define one 'correct' sporting allegiance is always going to be rather tricky, though, don't you think?

Not I do not. But I wasn't raised in a "multi-cultural" environment, so why would I :shrug:

It's not really about "correct" anyway, is it. It's about sentiment, instinct, your gut feeling.

Burney
05-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Not I do not. But I wasn't raised in a "multi-cultural" environment, so why would I :shrug:

It's not really about "correct" anyway, is it. It's about sentiment, instinct, your gut feeling.

Gut instinct is learned, though. i grew up in a house with an Irish father who grew up supporting Ireland at rugby. I therefore supported Ireland. Nothing to do with actual national allegiance (I feel none whatsoever for Ireland), just supporting the same team as your dad. :shrug:

redgunamo
05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Gut instinct is learned, though. i grew up in a house with an Irish father who grew up supporting Ireland at rugby. I therefore supported Ireland. Nothing to do with actual national allegiance (I feel none whatsoever for Ireland), just supporting the same team as your dad. :shrug:

Oh , fair enough then, my mistake. I thought you were born and raised in England :homer:

Burney
05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Oh , fair enough then, my mistake. I thought you were born and raised in England :homer:

I was. So what?

SWv2
05-23-2017, 11:09 AM

Just come out and say it B, none will think less of you, it may even be cathartic.

You actually want to be Irish.

Go on. Let it out.

Burney
05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Just come out and say it B, none will think less of you, it may even be cathartic.

You actually want to be Irish.

Go on. Let it out.

:hehe: No. I always thought the football team were a useless bunch of clogging cünts, too.

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2017, 11:19 AM
:hehe: No. I always thought the football team were a useless bunch of clogging cünts, too.

Yep - I still have a soft spot for the Irish rugby team but stopped supporting the football team in Jack Charlton's day. Only really support England at rugby because my dad took me to Twickenham. Though it was only recently I realised why we were always surrounded by opposition fans

SWv2
05-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Yep - I still have a soft spot for the Irish rugby team but stopped supporting the football team in Jack Charlton's day. Only really support England at rugby because my dad took me to Twickenham. Though it was only recently I realised why we were always surrounded by opposition fans

Because we whipped your asses in Stuttgart in 88?

Jaysus. Sore loser.

redgunamo
05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
I was. So what?

So nothing. I just wanted you to answer my question without me having to ask it. At a casual glance, my father and I are both African. Except that we're not African because we "chose" not to be. My sons don't support England because it's my country.

You don't see that you've (both) actually voted with your feet here and that that's what matters? As adults, people have choices. Even gut instincts are choices; we choose the bits of gut instinct we like, that we are happy with.

So, to get back to the point, isn't it hard to deny that your sort has, at least, a mild form of "hate all outward manifestations of their own nation", which may have begun to encourage the sort of consequences we are seeing today? It's certainly sympathetic to those lefty, multi-culti ideas, isn't it. A superficial manifestation perhaps.

I can also see why people bristle at the very thought; Ian Wright, John Terry :-(

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Because we whipped your asses in Stuttgart in 88?

Jaysus. Sore loser.

:hehe: Actually that match did decide it for me - but beforehand not the result (I'll overlook the fact that it was a foul on our Tone for the goal). Jack's decision to go with McCarthy above O'Leary was an insult to football - and I started going to Wembley a lot for England games once Adams got into the team. Nothing to do with either country really