PDA

View Full Version : I thought the position of the indirect free kick last night was a bit peculiar

Pat Vegas
05-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Cech scrambling to the post and gets hand on it.

Ref gives gives in the edge of the 6 yard box :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
05-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Cech scrambling to the post and gets hand on it.

Ref gives gives in the edge of the 6 yard box :shrug:

Didn't see it but did he pick up a backless? Free-kick can only be given as close as the six-yard line

Pat Vegas
05-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Didn't see it but did he pick up a backless? Free-kick can only be given as close as the six-yard line

That would explain it then don't see them often Monreal played a completely blind pass back to Cech.

However Cech had moved down towards corner flag. Only for the ball to appear to be heading straight in our empty net only for cech to scramble and dove to get a touch to put it clear.

Though I don't think it was going in but it was close.

It was the only time in the 2nd half where we didn't have any control of the game.

Monty92
05-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Yes, but it was on one of the side lines of the six-yard box. In those instances, where is the wall supposed to stand? Do they not still have to stand 10 yards back, if the parameters of the pitch allow it (which they did in this instance, except making them stand that far back wuld have given the kicker a completely clear shot at goal).

Pat Vegas
05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Yes, but it was on one of the side lines of the six-yard box. In those instances, where is the wall supposed to stand? Do they not still have to stand 10 yards back, if the parameters of the pitch allow it (which they did in this instance, except making them stand that far back wuld have given the kicker a completely clear shot at goal).

That aside I think Cech was in a odd position for the free kick. trapped by the post in a wall of Arsenal players. he wouldn't have been able to get over to the other wide which they attempted. though probably something they don't practice very often.

Luis Anaconda
05-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Honestly - not sure. I assume they were all on the line, but the keeper is allowed to stand in front. Quite actually want to see this now :nerd: very interesting

Viva Prat Vegas
05-17-2017, 03:37 PM

The defenders are meant to stand 10 yards back or on the goal line
I do not think the defenders not on the goal line were 10 yards back

Viva Prat Vegas
05-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Honestly - not sure. I assume they were all on the line, but the keeper is allowed to stand in front. Quite actually want to see this now :nerd: very interesting

The free kick execution was clever
The taker lofted the ball over the heads of the defenders and Peter towards the middle of the goal where Granit headed over the bar

IUFG
05-17-2017, 03:49 PM

some defenders formed a 'wall' next to Cech (sort of at 90 degrees to the post).

Law states "at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball, unless they are on their own goal line between the goalposts"

So, ref got it wrong by letting the Arsenal defenders not be on the line imo

http://www.benchwarmers.ie/bench/watch-sunderland-had-an-indirect-free-kick-inside-arsenals-box-after-crazy-back-pass/118309/

Ash
05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
The defenders are meant to stand 10 yards back or on the goal line
I do not think the defenders not on the goal line were 10 yards back

They were lined up adjacent to the near post, perpendicular to the goal line.