PDA

View Full Version : So it turns out that eating raw fish might not have been such a good idea after all

Burney
05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Across the west, millions of unadventurous eaters are feeling quite smug about this, I imagine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/12/popularity-of-sushi-has-brought-rise-in-parasitic-infections-warn-doctors-anisakiasis

Sir C
05-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Across the west, millions of unadventurous eaters are feeling quite smug about this, I imagine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/12/popularity-of-sushi-has-brought-rise-in-parasitic-infections-warn-doctors-anisakiasis

So, you get a bit of a worm and feel unwell for a while? It's hardly ebola, is it?

Burney
05-12-2017, 01:42 PM
So, you get a bit of a worm and feel unwell for a while? It's hardly ebola, is it?

"the condition can also trigger a host of other symptoms including severe allergic reaction, as well as complications such as digestive bleeding, bowel obstruction and peritonitis"

Seems the Congolians have got Ebola again, btw. Naive African immune systems imo.

Luis Anaconda
05-12-2017, 01:46 PM

:-( I've only just started to like it - have to go back to being unadventurous

Burney
05-12-2017, 01:50 PM
:-( I've only just started to like it - have to go back to being unadventurous

I like Sushi, but am increasingly convinced that most of it basically tastes the same. Apart from some I had in Charlotte, North Carolina once, which was smoked eel, but covered for some reason best known to Americans with barbecue sauce. That tasted shít.

SWv2
05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I like Sushi, but am increasingly convinced that most of it basically tastes the same. Apart from some I had in Charlotte, North Carolina once, which was smoked eel, but covered for some reason best known to Americans with barbecue sauce. That tasted shít.

I have never fully got on the sushi bandwagon.

It’s okay, not offensive, but I have always felt you need to lather on the wasabi or ginger stuff in order to make it taste of anything other than nothing.

Much prefer a good bag of crisps.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:12 PM

It’s okay, not offensive, but I have always felt you need to lather on the wasabi or ginger stuff in order to make it taste of anything other than nothing.

I would generally concur. It's possible, of course, that raw fish just doesn't taste of much.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
I would generally concur. It's possible, of course, that raw fish just doesn't taste of much.

The problem with sushi is that you get a wee bit of fish and a shedload of rice. For sushi I care little.

Sashimi, good sashimi, is an entirely different beast. Sashimi is the good shít.

SWv2
05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
The problem with sushi is that you get a wee bit of fish and a shedload of rice. For sushi I care little.

Sashimi, good sashimi, is an entirely different beast. Sashimi is the good shít.

Wasn't massively taken with that either.

Crisps win again.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:22 PM

But it is nonetheless fair to say that in general, raw, non-oily fish has at best a delicate flavour.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Crisps win again.

I don't think it's really fair to compare anything to crisps, though, sw. Crisps are the greatest foodstuff on earth, after all.

Rich
05-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Crisps win again.

Yes, but you are aware that crisps are full of oils (fat) and salt, aren't you? Not going to assist you with maintaining a svelte & athletic physique.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:24 PM
But it is nonetheless fair to say that in general, raw, non-oily fish has at best a delicate flavour.

You say, 'delicate flavour' as if that's a bad thing. There is a time and a place for big punchy flavours, and a time for delicacy, is there not? We aren't operating single note palates, surely?

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Yes, but you are aware that crisps are full of oils (fat) and salt, aren't you? Not going to assist you with maintaining a svelte & athletic physique.

Your body functions without fat or salt? You're a scientific miracle, man!

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:25 PM
The problem with sushi is that you get a wee bit of fish and a shedload of rice.

Sushi is vinegared rice. So you'll get a lot of rice; that is what sushi is.

Sashimi is raw fish or meat.

HTH

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

HTH

Thank you, Sensei.

Burney
You say, 'delicate flavour' as if that's a bad thing. There is a time and a place for big punchy flavours, and a time for delicacy, is there not? We aren't operating single note palates, surely?

Well, no. But - and here's the key thing for me - would that delicate flavour not be better served by being lightly fried and served with a beurre noisette? In other words, is raw fish as good as cooked fish? For me, the answer is no.

IUFG
Thank you, Sensei.

previously worked for a Japanese company, sc-san. :bowwhilsthandingbusinesscardwithtwohands:

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:28 PM

HTH

OooooooooooOOOOOOOH! Check out Mr Miyagi over here!

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Crisps win again.

Crisps or spuds ?

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
previously worked for a Japanese company, sc-san. :bowwhilsthandingbusinesscardwithtwohands:

I have to work with the sadistic bástards regularly, i.

A hard people.

SWv2

Is that where your predilection for that gay tea kicked in?

IUFG

Asda own brand Cheese and Onion are the greatest of all crisps, I have recently discovered.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:30 PM

A hard people.

Fiercely and unashamedly racist, though. You have to give the little buggers that.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Well, no. But - and here's the key thing for me - would that delicate flavour not be better served by being lightly fried and served with a beurre noisette? In other words, is raw fish as good as cooked fish? For me, the answer is no.

That depends entirely on the fish. A plump Dover Sole? Get in the pan. A rigor mortis-fresh seabass? Sounds like ceviche material to me. A fatty lump of tuna? Sashimi, sashimi, sashimi.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Asda own brand Cheese and Onion are the greatest of all crisps, I have recently discovered.

You revolt me, young man.

Lays 'Poulet roti au thyme'. Every. Time.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Is that where your predilection for that gay tea kicked in?

that occurred in Sri Lanka, sw.

I fear you may have missed the point of Orange Pekoe Tea, sw. It is the finest part of the leaf that makes regular tea, only it tastes much betterer than your PG tips and Typhoo style ****. The latter two are made from the stuff that falls through the sifting process. Or tea dust, if you will.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:34 PM
That depends entirely on the fish. A plump Dover Sole? Get in the pan. A rigor mortis-fresh seabass? Sounds like ceviche material to me. A fatty lump of tuna? Sashimi, sashimi, sashimi.

Yes. I'd make an exception for oily fish, I think. But even there, is one not depriving oneself of the flavour of the searing by eating it raw? The jury is out for me.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:35 PM

A hard people.

especially the useless ones who have been flown to the UK for a 'window seat' job

SWv2
05-12-2017, 02:35 PM

I fear you may have missed the point of Orange Pekoe Tea, sw. It is the finest part of the leaf that makes regular tea, only it tastes much betterer than your PG tips and Typhoo style ****. The latter two are made from the stuff that falls through the sifting process. Or tea dust, if you will.

I assume these Orange Pekoe teabags are triangle in shape?

Makes better tea you know, something to do with flow, science stuff.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Sir C and his glw came back from SL and informed me with glee that my surname is the word for the sweepings on the floor of a tea factory.

I got my own back when I found out that their surname contained a 17th Century Dutch slang word for something very naughty.

IUFG
I assume these Orange Pekoe teabags are triangle in shape?

Makes better tea you know, something to do with flow, science stuff.

Loose tea, always, sw

Sir C

Did you go up the tea country? Around Hatton? I love it up there.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Yes. I'd make an exception for oily fish, I think. But even there, is one not depriving oneself of the flavour of the searing by eating it raw? The jury is out for me.

I hope you don't feel that way about meat? Your mince in a bun for supper might not hit the spot :-(

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:38 PM
You revolt me, young man.

Lays 'Poulet roti au thyme'. Every. Time.

Thyme? in a bag of crisps?

What next? Oregano in pork scratchings?

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:38 PM

French, innit.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:39 PM

sw loves Star Anus in his bacon sandwiches. :nod:

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
I hope you don't feel that way about meat? Your mince in a bun for supper might not hit the spot :-(

:-( :-( :-(

I think I've worked out what your treat for g is, btw.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:41 PM
:-( :-( :-(

I think I've worked out what your treat for g is, btw.

Worked out, or guessed? Hmm?

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Worked out, or guessed? Hmm?

Deduced if you prefer.

Does it rhyme with 'ships in navy'?

Viva Prat Vegas

Montys youngest ?

IUFG
Did you go up the tea country? Around Hatton? I love it up there.

Dunno if it was Hatton but would make sense as it was on a drive from Galle to Kandy.

I was amazed by the lack of H&S on those sifting machines - open drives, shafts and belts everywhere.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Star Anise in a bacon sandwich? Is the man insane?

SWv2
05-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Dunno if it was Hatton but would make sense as it was on a drive from Galle to Kandy.

I was amazed by the lack of H&S on those sifting machines - open drives, shafts and belts everywhere.

Good man IUFG :hehe:

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Health and safety :hehe:

I stayed for a few days in an old tea planter's house on a plantation, refurbished to 1930s colonial splendour.

Let's be frank, after about 10 minutes I was horsewhipping coolies and generally behaving like a colonial tyrant :-(

It was fúking great.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 02:45 PM

I was bothered about having my arm taken off whilst walking around, sw. Not for the workers welfare.

Burney

I did laugh at that myself, I must admit. :hehe:

SWv2
Star Anise in a bacon sandwich? Is the man insane?

Funny **** in a poncey shíthouse on Dame Street pulled this on me one morning as I made my way to work after a more than ample feed of drink the night before.

Nearly broke my fúcking tooth on the thing.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Deduced if you prefer.

Does it rhyme with 'ships in navy'?

You mustn't tell. It will be a nice surprise.

It won't be Bisto, you understand.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:48 PM
You mustn't tell. It will be a nice surprise.

It won't be Bisto, you understand.

I shan't. ;-)

Have you made gravy specially? You should do what I do and always freeze any leftover gravy from a roast to act as a starter for the next batch of gravy you make. My gravy must have the DNA of thousands of animals in it by now. :cloud9:

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:50 PM
I shan't. ;-)

Have you made gravy specially? You should do what I do and always freeze any leftover gravy from a roast to act as a starter for the next batch of gravy you make. My gravy must have the DNA of thousands of animals in it by now. :cloud9:

I am afraid I can divulge nothing of my gravy, otherwise I should have to kill you :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 02:52 PM
I am afraid I can divulge nothing of my gravy, otherwise I should have to kill you :-(

Flour
Wooden spoon
Stock
Red jelly

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:53 PM

Ah. I see. Say no more.

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Flour
Wooden spoon
Stock
Red jelly

Where's the red wine, you monster? And what of the juices from the rested roast? And what is this 'red jelly' of which you speak.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Ah. I see. Say no more.

Finest, be damned.

PSRB
05-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Yep, I concur

Burney
05-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Finest, be damned.

Fair enough. She is northern. Bisto is like mother's milk to these people.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Let's be frank, after about 10 minutes I was horsewhipping coolies and generally behaving like a colonial tyrant :-(

It was fúking great.

I 'played' snooker at a hotel in Kandy. They insisted I paid for a referee. 100 rupees for one hour :hehe:

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Where's the red wine, you monster? And what of the juices from the rested roast? And what is this 'red jelly' of which you speak.

My beef leaves no juices in the tin
All I find are burnt shallots
Even the fat ****s off :-(

The red jelly is redcurrant Sorry
If I wish to jazz the gravy up I add a sprig of thyme and pepper

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:03 PM

You're cooking that, God help us, 'topside' of beef, aren't you? :-(

For shame, v. Get yourself a four rib forerib and roast the fúcker for an hour. You'll have juice and fat, alright.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:04 PM

But surely you leave your meat to rest under foilfor at least 30 minutes, vpv? And you presumably only cook it rare like a good gentleman?

In such circumstances, there should always be a good quantity of juice released, which is indispensable in the gravy.

I'm not sure how I feel about adding jam to gravy, but when feeling playful, I have occasionally been known to add a spoonful of Marmite to it.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:05 PM
I 'played' snooker at a hotel in Kandy. They insisted I paid for a referee. 100 rupees for one hour :hehe:

:clap: Is there anything better, whilst travelling, than exploiting economically oppressed locals?

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Funny **** in a poncey shíthouse on Dame Street pulled this on me one morning as I made my way to work after a more than ample feed of drink the night before.

Nearly broke my fúcking tooth on the thing.

I'd have shoved the sandwich in his face, sw

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:07 PM
But surely you leave your meat to rest under foilfor at least 30 minutes, vpv? And you presumably only cook it rare like a good gentleman?

In such circumstances, there should always be a good quantity of juice released, which is indispensable in the gravy.

I'm not sure how I feel about adding jam to gravy, but when feeling playful, I have occasionally been known to add a spoonful of Marmite to it.

I think the mistake I make is to seal the meat first of all
Like it says on the back of the packet

Playful = pissed ?
:hehe:

For a flamboyant dash of joire de vivre Worcester Sauce might work

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:09 PM
:clap: Is there anything better, whilst travelling, than exploiting economically oppressed locals?

I gave a maid a 500 rupee tip. Her boss ripped it from her hand and it gave it back to me. He said it was too much as it was over a day's wages for her.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:11 PM
I think the mistake I make is to seal the meat first of all
Like it says on the back of the packet

Playful = pissed ?
:hehe:

For a flamboyant dash of joire de vivre Worcester Sauce might work

There is no need to seal the meat. First of all, it does no such thing, it merely creates a bit of caramelisation. Second, the same effect is achieved by giving the ****er 20 minutes at full blast in the oven before turning it down.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:17 PM
There is no need to seal the meat. First of all, it does no such thing, it merely creates a bit of caramelisation. Second, the same effect is achieved by giving the ****er 20 minutes at full blast in the oven before turning it down.

I will follow your advice either this Sunday or next Sunday if chicken wins the race for the nearest one

Please do not laugh but I have also tried rubbing a mixture of flour and mustard powder onto the fat layer at the start
Shall I just pepper it ?

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
I will follow your advice either this Sunday or next Sunday if chicken wins the race for the nearest one

Please do not laugh but I have also tried rubbing a mixture of flour and mustard powder onto the fat layer at the start
Shall I just pepper it ?

No, that's OK (although I'm never sure how much flavour the mustard powder actually imparts, tbh). You should certainly salt and pepper it, though.

Have you a meat thermometer? If so, throw the ghastly thing away, since they lie and want you to cremate your meat.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Put half an inch of water in the bottom of the roasting dish. Put the top lid on. Your beef will be as juicy and tender as ****.

And you'll have enough juice / water / fat to make a gravy. :eat:

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:23 PM
No, that's OK (although I'm never sure how much flavour the mustard powder actually imparts, tbh). You should certainly salt and pepper it, though.

Have you a meat thermometer? If so, throw the ghastly thing away, since they lie and want you to cremate your meat.

You're going to see some thermometer action this weekend, mind.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:26 PM

No
I think meat thermometers are cundish so just measure when it is cooked by weight timings
I am keen to try the initial 20 minute blast

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Put half an inch of water in the bottom of the roasting dish. Put the top lid on. Your beef will be as juicy and tender as ****.

Good idea
Is the top lid a piece of foil ?

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Water? But if you have water in the bottom of the pan, you'll have no sticky residues to deglaze. Without sticky residues, there can be no true gravy.

Ignore this dangerous charlatan, vpv. He knows nothing of gravy.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:29 PM

I suppose that could work, but I use a lidded dish.

something akin to this

Burney
You're going to see some thermometer action this weekend, mind.

That's fine if it's just measuring temperature rather than being one of those that's marked with different types of meat and an arrow telling you when they're 'cooked'.

Viva Prat Vegas

**** idea IUFG
:vsign:

Burney
Good idea

I told you to ignore him!

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I suppose that could work, but I use a lidded dish.

something akin to this

Water? Lid? You've got steamed meat there, not roast meat!

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Water? But if you have water in the bottom of the pan, you'll have no sticky residues to deglaze. Without sticky residues, there can be no true gravy.

Ignore this dangerous charlatan, vpv. He knows nothing of gravy.

Sticky residues? This stock makes the ideal gravy.

I do appreciate that water / no water in roasts is a moot point. But you is wrong, b.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM
That's fine if it's just measuring temperature rather than being one of those that's marked with different types of meat and an arrow telling you when they're 'cooked'.

Oh Lordy no.

Actually we'll be using 4 thermometers.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM

*******s, sc.

try it, if only once...

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Sticky residues? This stock makes the ideal gravy.

I do appreciate that water / no water in roasts is a moot point. But you is wrong, b.

That's not stock. That's hot water with some fat and meat juices in it. The stock is made separately using bones from previous roasts and is added after the wine has deglazed the pan.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:34 PM
That's not stock. That's hot water with some fat and meat juices in it. The stock is made separately using bones from previous roasts and is added after the wine has deglazed the pan.

You are over complicating things and too much effort, b.

I wouldn't use water for, say, a forequarter / rib cut. but certainly for the arse end cuts.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:35 PM

:nod: I'd always considered IUFG a decent sort of chap up to now, but it turns out he's a godless barbarian who boils his Sunday roast.

Just goes to show you never can tell imo.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:35 PM
*******s, sc.

try it, if only once...

I shall do this to my chicken on Sunday.

Now, what you must understand, is that I have to roast a chicken every Sunday. I don't mind roast chicken, but it's not about me, it's about my glw who is simply obsessed with roast chicken. She needs this roast chicken to set her up for the week.

What I'm saying here is, if you fúck up my chicken you mess with my wife, and may the good Lord have mercy upon your soul.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
You are over complicating things and too much effort, b.

I wouldn't use water for, say, a forequarter / rib cut. but certainly for the arse end cuts.

No complexity involved. Every time I cook chicken or any other meat on the bone, I roast the bones, boil them in water with some carrots, onions and celery. Bayleaf, salt and pepper. An hour later, you have stock. When cooled, you decant it into ziplock bags and freeze. Nothing could be simpler.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Now, what you must understand, is that I have to roast a chicken every Sunday. I don't mind roast chicken, but it's not about me, it's about my glw who is simply obsessed with roast chicken. She needs this roast chicken to set her up for the week.

What I'm saying here is, if you fúck up my chicken you mess with my wife, and may the good Lord have mercy upon your soul.

You're going to give your wife pale boiled chicken? :-(

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:38 PM
You're going to give your wife pale boiled chicken? :-(

I am assured by an HR professional that all will be well. I have faith in i.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:38 PM

You'll be surprised - not too much water now.

And take the lid off 15 mins before the end :thumbup:

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:39 PM
I am assured by an HR professional that all will be well. I have faith in i.

But how can it? The heat can't get to the chicken properly and crisp the skin. This is madness.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:39 PM
No complexity involved. Every time I cook chicken or any other meat on the bone, I roast the bones, boil them in water with some carrots, onions and celery. Bayleaf, salt and pepper. An hour later, you have stock. When cooled, you decant it into ziplock bags and freeze. Nothing could be simpler.

I'd rather spend the time getting ****ered on a nice wine, b

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:40 PM
I'd rather spend the time getting ****ered on a nice wine, b

I've never found any difficulty in doing both, I must say.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:40 PM
But how can it? The heat can't get to the chicken properly and crisp the skin. This is madness.

One must remain open-minded in these matters, b. One never stops learning.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:42 PM
One must remain open-minded in these matters, b. One never stops learning.

:rolleyes: And I suppose if iufg told you to wrap the fùcker in clingfilm and shove it up your hole for 24 hours you'd do that, would you?

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:42 PM

I see there are many a pre-prepared chicken that you cook whilst still in a plasticky bag. Similar theory I suppose.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:43 PM
I see there are many a pre-prepared chicken that you cook whilst still in a plasticky bag. Similar theory I suppose.

'Pre-prepared chicken'? 'Plasticky bag'? :-(

I literally don't know what to say to you right now, i. :-|

SWv2
05-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Where do we stand on crab then?

Had it a while back, cold, open sandwich if you will. Lovely.

Warm a few weeks later, vile.

Odd.

Sir C
:rolleyes: And I suppose if iufg told you to wrap the fùcker in clingfilm and shove it up your hole for 24 hours you'd do that, would you?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Dogmatism has never been my thing, b.

IUFG
'Pre-prepared chicken'? 'Plasticky bag'? :-(

I literally don't know what to say to you right now, i. :-|

I have seen these in a supermarket, b.

I haven't bought one. FFS

SWv2
05-12-2017, 03:45 PM
I'd rather spend the time getting wánkered on a nice wine, b

Testify HR man.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Odd.

For a properly dressed crab I insist you visit Corrigans of Mayfair. Now he may be a Mick, but he can cook. He once prepared me a crab which brought me to tears.

There is plenty to be said for a devilled crab Mornay, of course.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Odd.

Crab cakes are nice. But really, a crab is just a poor man's lobster at the end of the day.

SWv2
05-12-2017, 03:47 PM
For a properly dressed crab I insist you visit Corrigans of Mayfair. Now he may be a Mick, but he can cook. He once prepared me a crab which brought me to tears.

There is plenty to be said for a devilled crab Mornay, of course.

Richard Corrigan? Fat pompous grade A ****.

I wouldn't even eat his chips.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:47 PM

I come out in hives if I eat lobster or crab :-(

I miss it

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:48 PM

He seems quite nice in Great British Menu. Mind you, he's got a good drinker's complexion.

SWv2
Crab cakes are nice. But really, a crab is just a poor man's lobster at the end of the day.

I found it terribly fishy, which I know sounds obvious but there you go.

Not the cold stuff.

Burney
I have seen these in a supermarket, b.

I haven't bought one. FFS

'Supermarket'? Oh, dear God! :faintsdeadaway:

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:49 PM

He's a charming fellow. I approached him once in the street and gripped his hand. "Mr Corrigan," I said, for 'twas he. "I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for so many incredible meals." He looked duly pleased and said something unintelligible in that approximation of the English language you people use.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:49 PM
I found it terribly fishy, which I know sounds obvious but there you go.

Not the cold stuff.

The brown meat can be quite strong when used in cooking. Less so cold.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
He's a charming fellow. I approached him once in the street and gripped his hand. "Mr Corrigan," I said, for 'twas he. "I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for so many incredible meals." He looked duly pleased and said something unintelligible in that approximation of the English language you people use.

Did you note his gin blossoms?

Viva Prat Vegas
05-12-2017, 03:51 PM

He might have been George Graham
:monty:

Sir C
'Supermarket'? Oh, dear God! :faintsdeadaway:

D'you suppose the fellow lives somewhere they don't have a farmer's market?

IUFG
'Supermarket'?

You are aware of these entities? There is one called Waitrose right in the middle of Hertford iirc.

Don't tell me you don't shop in them, b :nono:

Sir C
Did you note his gin blossoms?

No, I was, not to put too fine a point on it, ****ed.

SWv2
05-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Did you ask for his autograph?

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:53 PM
You are aware of these entities? There is one called Waitrose right in the middle of Hertford iirc.

Don't tell me you don't shop in them, b :nono:

The one in Hertford is a sore point, i. They are closing it and the plan was to move it to a big site in Ware, thus increasing my house price by approximately £20,000 overnight. But Asda of all people have objected to this move, throwing the whole thing into doubt. :furious:

As if Waitrose is competition for Asda, ffs!

Sir C
05-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Did you ask for his autograph?

Did I balls. He's a man I pay to cook my dinner, but I was feeling over emotional due to drink.

I did the same to Michelle Roux senior in Bangkok, actually, and I've never even eaten at his place. Again, I was in drink.

IUFG

There is plenty in this part. They are mainly robbing ****s with their overpriced sausages, etc.

You don't see many poor farmers; and there is a reason for this.

SWv2

We have a Farmers Market about 500 yards away from the house in Marley Park.

It is quite an extraordinary place as every Saturday there are Mexican farmers, Italian farmers, Middle Eastern farmers and even a bloke who farms fish.

Burney
05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Did I balls. He's a man I pay to cook my dinner, but I was feeling over emotional due to drink.

I did the same to Michelle Roux senior in Bangkok, actually, and I've never even eaten at his place. Again, I was in drink.

I always preferred Albert, tbh.

IUFG
05-12-2017, 03:57 PM
The one in Hertford is a sore point, i. They are closing it and the plan was to move it to a big site in Ware, thus increasing my house price by approximately £20,000 overnight. But Asda of all people have objected to this move, throwing the whole thing into doubt. :furious:

As if Waitrose is competition for Asda, ffs!

Closing it? Housing development?

the missus recently had a relative croak and leave a few quid to her and a few other beneficiaries. The house on Ware Road, just off the A10, went for ****load of money. :cloud9:

SWv2
05-12-2017, 03:59 PM

I stopped and had a chat in the street with Kevin Rowland of Dexys once, very pleasant man. We spoke about their music since their first album and he told me in detail about what was then their imminent release of old Irish songs. We parted essentially as best mates.

Few days later I came across Mike Scott from The Waterboys and encouraged by my new found friendship and ability to easily mingle with bona fide rock stars I approached him. I think he was genuinely frightened. Bit weird too if I am honest.

Sober both times and all.

Sir C
05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
I stopped and had a chat in the street with Kevin Rowland of Dexys once, very pleasant man. We spoke about their music since their first album and he told me in detail about what was then their imminent release of old Irish songs. We parted essentially as best mates.

Few days later I came across Mike Scott from The Waterboys and encouraged by my new found friendship and ability to easily mingle with bona fide rock stars I approached him. I think he was genuinely frightened. Bit weird too if I am honest.

Sober both times and all.

Mike Scott is a bit odd. I engaged in a lengthy chat with him on Twitter, which culminated in him calling me a liar.

SWv2
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Mike Scott is a bit odd. I engaged in a lengthy chat with him on Twitter, which culminated in him calling me a liar.

Had I known this when I met him rest assured I would have decked the fúcker.

Right in the middle of the Powerscourt Centre.