PDA

View Full Version : Xhaka is going to be tremendous imo

Pat Vegas
05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Looks like I found time to make a post after all.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 11:59 AM

He's going to be our Xabi Alonso :cloud9: :quarterback:

SWv2
05-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Funny what a few half decent results can do.

But a few weeks ago he was a slow, useless liability.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Who said that then?

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Needs an muscular black fella next to him and we're sorted.

PSRB
05-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Never had a bad word to say about the chap, can see the quality is there. Do believe he'll be quite the player next season alongside Santi

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Never had a bad word to say about the chap, can see the quality is there. Do believe he'll be quite the player next season alongside Santi

Don't see that happening myself, especially in this system.

World's End Stella

I love him as a player, exactly what we needed in many respects. However I have some concerns about his mobility. He doesn't exactly get about the pitch like Patrick did in his prime, does he?

Which is why he needs to play next to someone who does.

Sir C

:nod: Coquelin.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Bakayoko :nod:

Don't know if you saw it, but he had a moment of skill in the Juve game the over night that was quite breath taking.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:05 PM
:nod: Coquelin.

Not black enough.

PSRB
05-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Don't see that happening myself, especially in this system.

I very much doubt we'll continue with this system with Santi in the team. AW will revert to type

Ash
05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
I very much doubt we'll continue with this system with Santi in the team. AW will revert to type

Isn't Santi Finnish, though? His injuries seemes to have reached the Jack Wheelchair cycle.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:11 PM

If we win the next 3 games and the cup final you reckon he goes back to the old formation? I think that would be quite a shocking decision if it happens.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
If we win the next 3 games and the cup final you reckon he goes back to the old formation? I think that would be quite a shocking decision if it happens.

:hehe: Win our next three games and the cup final. :hehe:

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:15 PM
:hehe: Win our next three games and the cup final. :hehe:

I looked at our results last night and was shocked to see we'd won 5 of the last 6 games. The performances haven't really given the impression that we're playing well enough to win that many.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
I looked at our results last night and was shocked to see we'd won 5 of the last 6 games. The performances haven't really given the impression that we're playing well enough to win that many.

We've done well recently, there is no question. Last night was a case in point; we didn't look amazing going forward in the first half as we kept it sensible and ensured we went in level, then stepped it up in the second. All good and professional, we can't complain about that. But to think we'll win at Stoke and beat Chelsea at Wembley... nah. Just, nah.

SWv2
05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Who said that then?

Believe it was quite a commonly held view now tbh.

I am not suggesting Pat Vegas was among them and I apologise if my comment was read as such.

SWv2
05-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Bakayoko :nod:

Don't know if you saw it, but he had a moment of skill in the Juve game the over night that was quite breath taking.

You did occur to me at the time :hehe:

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:20 PM
We've done well recently, there is no question. Last night was a case in point; we didn't look amazing going forward in the first half as we kept it sensible and ensured we went in level, then stepped it up in the second. All good and professional, we can't complain about that. But to think we'll win at Stoke and beat Chelsea at Wembley... nah. Just, nah.

I can't remember us going to Stoke when they've been this ****/in such poor form. I think we have a better chance of getting a win than in previous years. Should be decent weather too :hehe:

SWv2
05-11-2017, 12:21 PM

More shocking than changing a formation he stuck to for 20 years?

Pokster
05-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Assuming AW stays... will be interesting to see if he signs players who suit a 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 (or whatever formation you want to call them)

By the way, he didn't play the last formation for 20 years, he changed it to that to fit Cesc into the team imo

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Believe it was quite a commonly held view now tbh.

I am not suggesting Pat Vegas was among them and I apologise if my comment was read as such.

I thought you were accusing him of, well, being like Rich :-(

SWv2
05-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Assuming AW stays... will be interesting to see if he signs players who suit a 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 (or whatever formation you want to call them)

By the way, he didn't play the last formation for 20 years, he changed it to that to fit Cesc into the team imo

Okay Mr Pedantic, a defensive formation (which for the record you knew well I meant).

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 12:26 PM

That's a fair point, but he has changed it now and it has sort of worked. Far easier to go back if this formation failed miserably. It's probably the only thing that would keep the WENGER OUT people on his side were he to stay. If he goes back to the old one they'll immediately start moaning again after the first bad result.

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Chelsea are rubbish, I heard. They don't actually play any football or keep possession or anything; they just keep winning games. Basically like Leicester City last season.

SWv2
05-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I thought you were accusing him of, well, being like Rich :-(

Not at all, and as before I apologise to Pat Vegas for the slur.

There has however been fairly round criticism of the Swiss Albanian, certainly during the period when we were truly ****. I suppose his relatively large transfer fee played a part and the sometimes naive expectation which comes with that.

Perhaps Wenger has found the midfield combination he sought all season, aided by his stumbling upon a defensive formation which affords them better cover to suit their dual qualities.

The lad Xhaka played a pass out to Gibbs (I think) first half on Sunday which had this viewer reaching for the Sky+ remote to rewind it a few times.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Chelsea are rubbish, I heard. They don't actually play any football or keep possession or anything; they just keep winning games. Basically like Leicester City last season.

Cesc is going to lay us down and make sweet, sweet love to our bottoms. Dry.

Pokster
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM

While scoring loads of goals and looking miles better than anything else in this country..... :-|

Sir C
05-11-2017, 12:32 PM

There has however been fairly round criticism of the Swiss Albanian, certainly during the period when we were truly ****. I suppose his relatively large transfer fee played a part and the sometimes naive expectation which comes with that.

Perhaps Wenger has found the midfield combination he sought all season, aided by his stumbling upon a defensive formation which affords them better cover to suit their dual qualities.

The lad Xhaka played a pass out to Gibbs (I think) first half on Sunday which had this viewer reaching for the Sky+ remote to rewind it a few times.

That is from thick ****s, of whom we attract an abundance.

There are those who do not appreciate the football stylings of Aaron Ramsey, for example.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 12:33 PM

There was quite a bit of it about in the media if that was what you were referring to. Rat face Neville and a few of the broadsheets were labeling Xhaka and Mustafi as 'disasters', 'failures' etc etc. All within the context of Wenger Out, of course.

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 12:37 PM
While scoring loads of goals and looking miles better than anything else in this country..... :-|

If only we had though of it ..

Pat Vegas
05-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Edit. No need to apologise SW.

Luis Anaconda
05-11-2017, 01:19 PM

He is a simply a beautiful beautiful footballer with a lovely nasty streak, who is increasing in influence with each game. First player in the ref's face at every incident now :bow: Even though Jon Moss must have been dying to go for the hat-trick he stood up for his team. He is 24 years old - 24

Peter
05-11-2017, 01:23 PM
I love him as a player, exactly what we needed in many respects. However I have some concerns about his mobility. He doesn't exactly get about the pitch like Patrick did in his prime, does he?

Which is why he needs to play next to someone who does.

A list that includes precisely ****ing nobody, ever. Vieira was the ultimate athlete and comparable to nobody.

We just need a decent player who does what he is told- and a manager that tells him what to do.

Peter
05-11-2017, 01:25 PM

I think the formation is at least partly designed to ensure that Sanchez and Ozil don't have to do any tracking back. Once they leave it will probably change.

Ash
05-11-2017, 01:26 PM
I can't remember us going to Stoke when they've been this ****/in such poor form. I think we have a better chance of getting a win than in previous years. Should be decent weather too :hehe:

Agreed. We've also just bagged a brace of hurdling hoodoos. Mourinho and Saints away overcome. Let's go for the hat-trick and vanquish the vermin at the Victoria. :nod:

Then I think of Charlie Adam dragging Alexis to the floor by his neck and winning a free kick. :-(

Peter
05-11-2017, 01:28 PM
That is from thick ****s, of whom we attract an abundance.

There are those who do not appreciate the football stylings of Aaron Ramsey, for example.

Another reminder that he was described as the worst signing in history by Tony Cascarino.:)

Peter
05-11-2017, 01:31 PM
He is a simply a beautiful beautiful footballer with a lovely nasty streak, who is increasing in influence with each game. First player in the ref's face at every incident now :bow: Even though Jon Moss must have been dying to go for the hat-trick he stood up for his team. He is 24 years old - 24

Superb tackle by Mustafi last night- free kick ;)

Luis Anaconda
05-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Superb tackle by Mustafi last night- free kick ;)

Can see why he gave it - front on as it was, but technically the big German did everything right. Foot on the floor, in control, perfect. I must admit I saw Mustafi on the team sheet and thought in a back three he might let it go to his head and start storming down the pitch but thought he had a superb game.

Mike Dean on Saturday though - **** it

Peter
05-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Can see why he gave it - front on as it was, but technically the big German did everything right. Foot on the floor, in control, perfect. I must admit I saw Mustafi on the team sheet and thought in a back three he might let it go to his head and start storming down the pitch but thought he had a superb game.

Stoke- doesn't really matter who the ref is :(

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Another reminder that he was described as the worst signing in history by Tony Cascarino.:)

Eh? In the words of John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious'. Not even Cascarino is that stupid surely?

Ash
05-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Maybe he'll make some of his characteristically bad decisions in our favour. These things even out in the end, after all. :-)

Peter
05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Eh? In the words of John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious'. Not even Cascarino is that stupid surely?

Comfortably that stupid.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Comfortably that stupid.

F*ck. Me. Sideways.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/13/arsenal-ace-granit-xhaka-may-be-the-worst-signing-of-all-time-suggests-tony-cascarino-6573481/