PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 betting...

Tony C
05-11-2017, 07:35 AM
So having backed us at 6/1 and 11/1 in recent weeks the odds are now down to 3/1 and I can lay off my liabilities for a nice profit.

Question is...do I gamble one more time.

If we beat Stoke my guess is that we'll be down to 11/10ish to make Top 4 and if Liverpool dropped more points vs West Ham then we'll be odds on with Liverpool around the 2/1 to 9/4 price point but I don't think I'll wait that long...my decision will be to make a trade now or gamble on us beating Stoke and then trading.

I'm not waiting for Liverpool's game.

Thoughts...

Sir C
05-11-2017, 08:21 AM
So having backed us at 6/1 and 11/1 in recent weeks the odds are now down to 3/1 and I can lay off my liabilities for a nice profit.

Question is...do I gamble one more time.

If we beat Stoke my guess is that we'll be down to 11/10ish to make Top 4 and if Liverpool dropped more points vs West Ham then we'll be odds on with Liverpool around the 2/1 to 9/4 price point but I don't think I'll wait that long...my decision will be to make a trade now or gamble on us beating Stoke and then trading.

I'm not waiting for Liverpool's game.

Thoughts...

We'll beat Stoke and Everton and then lose 0-1 to Sunderland :-(

Luis Anaconda
05-11-2017, 08:31 AM
We'll beat Stoke and Everton and then lose 0-1 to Sunderland :-(

*******s - it's on. We'll probably finish third

Sir C
05-11-2017, 08:32 AM
*******s - it's on. We'll probably finish third

Show your working la.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 08:48 AM
More - importantly, who gives a f*ck? :shrug:

Sir C
05-11-2017, 08:50 AM
More - importantly, who gives a f*ck? :shrug:

Pretty much everyone :shrug:

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Pretty much everyone :shrug:

Your everyone is different than my everyone.

Most Gooners I know see missing out on the CL as potentially having more upside than downside. We don't have any chance of winning it and we don't need the money, so why bother? :shrug:

Sir C
05-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Most Gooners I know see missing out on the CL as potentially having more upside than downside. We don't have any chance of winning it and we don't need the money, so why bother? :shrug:

How many of these 'Gooners' do you know?

When you say 'we don't need the money', are you channelling Diane Abbott? A few million here or there might make all the difference to who we can sign or keep.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:16 AM
How many of these 'Gooners' do you know?

When you say 'we don't need the money', are you channelling Diane Abbott? A few million here or there might make all the difference to who we can sign or keep.

Oh, I'd say about 10 or so, including our very own SW, Arsemart and Ciaran.

Last results I saw we had £250mil in cash with a projection that we would hit 300mil later this year. If we aren't going to spend it, we don't really need it.

Pokster
05-11-2017, 09:17 AM

"we don't need the money" show me any nbusiness that would be happy to turn down the income the CL brings and I will show you a business that is going to go bust.

CL football gives us income, better chance of attracting better players, sponsor money..... you really do seem to know **** all about football

Sir C
05-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Last results I saw we had £250mil in cash with a projection that we would hit 300mil later this year. If we aren't going to spend it, we don't really need it.

:clap: You work in the finance industry and, with a straight face, can suggest that a business with a healthy cash balance doesn't 'need' an additional £20 mill?

God. Help. Us. All.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 09:18 AM
"we don't need the money" show me any nbusiness that would be happy to turn down the income the CL brings and I will show you a business that is going to go bust.

CL football gives us income, better chance of attracting better players, sponsor money..... you really do seem to know **** all about football

From what i can tell we earned around €45m from it last year. We can't really be turning our nose up at that.

Sir C
05-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Or about business. Or finance. Or, God help us, a household budget.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM
:clap: You work in the finance industry and, with a straight face, can suggest that a business with a healthy cash balance doesn't 'need' an additional £20 mill?

God. Help. Us. All.

I care about the finances of Arsenal Football Club only to the extent that they impact the football itself.

Having a cash balance of 290mil instead of 260mil doesn't improve the football, I'm afraid.

Burney
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM

What you seem to have done there is to confuse the ill-considered feelings of football fans with the motivations and imperatives of a multi-million pound business.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-11-2017, 09:24 AM
I care about the finances of Arsenal Football Club only to the extent that they impact the football itself.

Having a cash balance of 290mil instead of 260mil doesn't improve the football, I'm afraid.

Cash reserves are £100m

Sir C
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM

You don't think that the additional £30 mill improives our options in the transfer market? Allows us the option to buy more expensive players at greater salaries?

You're not entirely sure how this money stuff works, are you? :-(

If you send Mrs wes to the shop to buy you some of that grain-fed mush you call steak, 10 pence won't get her very far, but £20 will result in you gnashing your gums on a lovely gobbet of vaguely meat-flavoured mulch and bring you happiness. That's all you need to remember :thumbup:

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
What you seem to have done there is to confuse the ill-considered feelings of football fans with the motivations and imperatives of a multi-million pound business.

I haven't confused them at all. Quite the opposite, I have recognized that because I am only really interested in the football aspect of the club, I'm indifferent to the size of the club's cash balance.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Cash reserves are £100m

Possibly you're confusing reserves and balance.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-more-cash-bank-barcelona-8968436

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Businesses go bust all the time; it's no biggy.

Just sayin'.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:33 AM
You don't think that the additional £30 mill improives our options in the transfer market? Allows us the option to buy more expensive players at greater salaries?

You're not entirely sure how this money stuff works, are you? :-(

If you send Mrs wes to the shop to buy you some of that grain-fed mush you call steak, 10 pence won't get her very far, but £20 will result in you gnashing your gums on a lovely gobbet of vaguely meat-flavoured mulch and bring you happiness. That's all you need to remember :thumbup:

I'll type this slowly and use the analogy you did so that your uneducated mind might grasp it.

If Mrs WES only wants to spend £20 on dinner, I will get the same meal whether I give her £20 or £50.

Now stop being silly.

Burney
05-11-2017, 09:33 AM
I haven't confused them at all. Quite the opposite, I have recognized that because I am only really interested in the football aspect of the club, I'm indifferent to the size of the club's cash balance.

You can't separate the two, I'm afraid. If you could, Lincoln City could win the Premier League.

Monty92
05-11-2017, 09:36 AM

We must have *some* chance of winning it, surely?

SWv2
05-11-2017, 09:40 AM

I don’t think the absence of CL football for 1 year, perhaps 2, would materially damage the long term future of the club. The manner in which the club has been run in the past decade or whatever would see to that in terms of business.

While CL income is not negligible the bulk of the club’s income is from other sources, mainly the new 3 or 5 year deal signed by the PL for broadcasting revenues. Knock on impacts on merchandising or sponsorship none of us know so speculation is futile.

Football wise the absence may preclude certain aspects of team strengthening or player retention but again an issue that can be dealt with and managed. The current eye of the storm is being exacerbated as the potential absence of CL football is coinciding with the renewal of two of our most bankable assets.

It is how we react and recover in the period of absence that is key.

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 09:41 AM
You can't separate the two, I'm afraid. If you could, Lincoln City could win the Premier League.

Or Leicester City obviously.

World's End Stella

Well, yes, except that my point was that since we already have a load of money and we aren't using it, what's the worry about having even more that we don't use?

And there was a degree of flippancy to my post. Of course the club could use an additional 30 - 40mil, but that isn't the reason we aren't challenging for the league, is it?

Billy Goat Sverige
Possibly you're confusing reserves and balance.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-more-cash-bank-barcelona-8968436

It's now £123m.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/mar_17/gun__1488450596_Arsenal_Holdings_plc_Half_Year.pdf

Page 24.

Pokster
05-11-2017, 09:44 AM
I don’t think the absence of CL football for 1 year, perhaps 2, would materially damage the long term future of the club. The manner in which the club has been run in the past decade or whatever would see to that in terms of business.

While CL income is not negligible the bulk of the club’s income is from other sources, mainly the new 3 or 5 year deal signed by the PL for broadcasting revenues. Knock on impacts on merchandising or sponsorship none of us know so speculation is futile.

Football wise the absence may preclude certain aspects of team strengthening or player retention but again an issue that can be dealt with and managed. The current eye of the storm is being exacerbated as the potential absence of CL football is coinciding with the renewal of two of our most bankable assets.

It is how we react and recover in the period of absence that is key.

And there in lies the problem.... we could miss out this year and then fail to gte back in it for the next 10, nobody knows. That is why I don't understand why people wouldnm't care if we were in it or not..... 10 years of lower income would have a serious impact on the football side of our club

Burney
05-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Well, yes, except that my point was that since we already have a load of money and we aren't using it, what's the worry about having even more that we don't use?

And there was a degree of flippancy to my post. Of course the club could use an additional 30 - 40mil, but that isn't the reason we aren't challenging for the league, is it?

Oh, if you argue that we aren't spending our money well or in sufficient quantities, then you may have a point. However, you were arguing that we as a club don't need 30 million-odd quid of income, which is plainly silly.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:47 AM
It's now £123m.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/mar_17/gun__1488450596_Arsenal_Holdings_plc_Half_Year.pdf

Page 17.

The cash balance is fluid as I'm sure you know. It will have changed again although I will admit that the 250mil number was one I saw recently in the press, not in a financial statement.

But either way, we have been maintaining huge cash balances relative to much larger clubs (in terms of revenue) for quite a few years now, this is nothing new.

Burney
05-11-2017, 09:48 AM
And there in lies the problem.... we could miss out this year and then fail to gte back in it for the next 10, nobody knows. That is why I don't understand why people wouldnm't care if we were in it or not..... 10 years of lower income would have a serious impact on the football side of our club

It's about the the dichotomy of the fan's emotions, I guess. As a fan, I'd selfishly rather we didn't have to play in any European competition and could concentrate solely on the league. However, I also recognise that from the point of view of the club's long-term wellbeing, that point of view is totally fücking retarded.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Oh, if you argue that we aren't spending our money well or in sufficient quantities, then you may have a point. However, you were arguing that we as a club don't need 30 million-odd quid of income, which is plainly silly.

Yes, I was making the point that we don't spend enough of it and don't seem to spend it very well, so giving us more of it will make little difference. Which is slightly flippant, I agree.

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 10:05 AM
We must have *some* chance of winning it, surely?

I don't think so, not playing the way we want to, the way we do.

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 10:09 AM
I don't think so, not playing the way we want to, the way we do.

Not as long as Wenger is the manager, you mean?

I would agree with that.

redgunamo
05-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Not as long as Wenger is the manager, you mean?

I would agree with that.

I think you're only allowed to say that if you've also been saying it for the past ten or so years :-)

World's End Stella
05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
I think you're only allowed to say that if you've also been saying it for the past ten or so years :-)

Does 7 years fall within 'ten years or so'? :-)

The year that Almunia started the season as our first choice keeper then got injured and Szczers came in. That was the season I gave up on Wenger.

taxman10
05-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Not being in the CL didn't seem to stop Man U from executing the most expensive signing in history. Or getting zlatan

More generally I agree having the cash is more important than not having it