PDA

View Full Version : I tired to fix the dishwasher!

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:12 AM
I'll order a new dishwasher :-(

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:13 AM

I tried to post the word 'tried'!

:-(

Luis Anaconda
05-09-2017, 11:20 AM

You probably just need a drink

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Not a very complimentary way to describe your better half, c?

SWv2
05-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Indeed, man stuff.

I have just returned from Timbertrove where I purchased a length of pressure treated timber, I was able to blag a little as I had the rough dimensions of the shed I purchased from the same people a few years back.

Got a little testy in the "shed" as we discussed exact dimensions at which point the chap aired on the side of caution and told me, as casual as you like, "if it is too long you can just cut it yourself".

Oh my. I own one screwdriver and a small wrench (the origin of which I am unsure).

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Not a very complimentary way to describe your better half, c?

Ha! Like she'd know where the sink is.

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:30 AM

It's usually down to the pipe being full of gunk because you haven't rinsed the stuff before shoving it in there imo.

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:35 AM
It's usually down to the pipe being full of gunk because you haven't rinsed the stuff before shoving it in there imo.

Actually it appears that the lower spray bar is fouling on the salt dispensor and not spinning properly. The easy solution seemed to be to remove the bar and bend the ends up a bit.

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Actually it appears that the lower spray bar is fouling on the salt dispensor and not spinning properly. The easy solution seemed to be to remove the bar and bend the ends up a bit.

You broke the lower spray bar, didn't you? :-(

7sisters
05-09-2017, 11:38 AM

I had no idea they were so expensive, having just replaced one that had given me almost twenty years service.
Needless to say, I went German again.

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
I had no idea they were so expensive, having just replaced one that had given me almost twenty years service.

I inherited an ancient Hotpoint job when I moved into the house that is still going great guns.

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
You broke the lower spray bar, didn't you? :-(

With regret, I must confirm your theory :-(

Pat Vegas
05-09-2017, 11:41 AM

You are probably just tried.

I mean tired.

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:42 AM
With regret, I must confirm your theory :-(

To be fair, you have the hands of a navvy. :-( We should have expected nothing else.

Sir C

300 quid areas, isn't it? Cheap, really. It's going to last 3 years, that's £2 a week :shrug:

Sir C
To be fair, you have the hands of a navvy. :-( We should have expected nothing else.

Eh? I have girlie little hands and the wrists of a ballerina. It's a constant source of regret to me.

Pat Vegas
05-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Eh? I have girlie little hands and the wrists of a ballerina. It's a constant source of regret to me.

the tossers who installed my new washing machine used the old pipe which I found the washer on the floor.

:furious: I found a leak when I got back from Italy.

so i had to pull out the machine and fix it. a washing machine is not a fun thing to move around makes you look like a wimp

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Do you? Maybe I'm thinking of your glw's hands.

PSRB
05-09-2017, 11:45 AM
300 quid areas, isn't it? Cheap, really. It's going to last 3 years, that's £2 a week :shrug:

Be a lot easier if people (wife and child) put the dirty stuff in the dishwasher rather then in the sink, so that I don't then have to move it to where it should go in the 1st place! :furious:

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Do you? Maybe I'm thinking of your glw's hands.

Excuse me! My wife's hands are no larger than those of any other 'woman'. She's got a massive Adam's apple and scrotum, mind.

Burney
Be a lot easier if people (wife and child) put the dirty stuff in the dishwasher rather then in the sink, so that I don't then have to move it to where it should go in the 1st place! :furious:

But surely you rinse first? This is the key to long dishwasher life imo.

7sisters
I inherited an ancient Hotpoint job when I moved into the house that is still going great guns.

I was once dispatched by a withering look of contempt from a german service engineer, who I called out to fix my Hotpoint washing machine, shortly after moving there on a secondment.
The bloke couldn't fathom why there was both a hot and cold feed and having poked about a bit, he suggested we by a proper machine to do the job.. Recognising we were on a loser, we swiftly went off to the local Saturn and weighed in with a Siemens. :-(

Sir C
05-09-2017, 11:47 AM

:hehe: Your attitude to dishwashers is on the screaming maniac side of OCD.

PSRB
05-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Yes, rinse and then place in dishwasher. Not leave in the sink for me to rinse!!

Pat Vegas
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM

in my household I have to ensure that no water is left in the sink or on the draining board as it drives someone crazy :shrug:

then at the same time I get moaned at if it use excessive paper towel.

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Yeah? Well of the two of us, which one has a working dishwasher, eh? Tell me that.

QED imo.

7sisters
05-09-2017, 11:49 AM

£650 for the one I ended up with ..

Pat Vegas
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
£650 for the one I ended up with ..

That's what my washing machine cost. still it's nice it plays music when it's finished. and you can operate it by an app.

Pokster
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM

incorrect, you shouldn't need to rinse on modern washers... it will be the crap hard water down there that finishes it off

Burney
05-09-2017, 11:53 AM
incorrect, you shouldn't need to rinse on modern washers... it will be the crap hard water down there that finishes it off

Actually, I do have a water softening system thingy, which might explain it.

SWv2
05-09-2017, 12:01 PM

A wee bit like hosing down your car before you take it to the carwash surely.

Ash
05-09-2017, 12:26 PM
A wee bit like hosing down your car before you take it to the carwash surely.

Not really. There are enclosed spaces and plumbing going on, which raises the question of what happens to all the gunk and crap? I have bad memories of visiting my dear parents' house where rinsing does not happen and the glasses seem to have bits of last week's dinner attached to them.

In my home the dishwasher has never worked and I have washed up by hand for the last ten years.

Ash
05-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Is there any chance that you might be able to post on a thread one day without doing the whole professional northerner thing? ;-)

(Actually, I have just had an electro-magnet thing installed on the boiler that is supposed to help protect the boiler and washing machine from the hard water.)

Luis Anaconda
05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Not really. There are enclosed spaces and plumbing going on, which raises the question of what happens to all the gunk and crap? I have bad memories of visiting my dear parents' house where rinsing does not happen and the glasses seem to have bits of last week's dinner attached to them.

In my home the dishwasher has never worked and I have washed up by hand for the last ten years.
I actually find washing up at the end of the evening quite therapeutic. Of course I haven't actually done any for years

SWv2
05-09-2017, 12:39 PM

The gunk and **** just gets diluted in the process and runs away through the associated drainage plan.

I'm not suggesting you leave the bone from your lamb chop in now, one scrapes but not rinses.