PDA

View Full Version : Two young men have walked into the pub, got their drinks and started playing Scrabble

Burney
05-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Fûckssake! The fúcking youth of today need working on if you ask me.

Obviously, I had the third pint.

Sir C
05-05-2017, 01:01 PM

You should tell 'em so. "I've seen you, prancing like a tít.."

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Scrabble? In Hertford?

****ing hell......

Ash
05-05-2017, 01:06 PM

No, this is good. Playing games in pubs is on the up, and it's a good thing too. People used to play dominoes and backgammon and cribbage in pubs, for good social reasons. And pubs need all the reasons they can get to attract punters in these grim days of pubocide.

If only the brewers would BRING THE FECKING PRICES DOWN.

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:07 PM
You should tell 'em so. "I've seen you, prancing like a tít.."

20 minutes in and they've barely touched their pints. :-|
This is the generation that's going to have to fight the krauts again. We're fúcked. :-(

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:07 PM
No, this is good. Playing games in pubs is on the up, and it's a good thing too. People used to play dominoes and backgammon and cribbage in pubs, for good social reasons. And pubs need all the reasons they can get to attract punters in these grim days of pubocide.

They're barely drinking, ffs!

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
05-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Do they not have Wetherspoons in London Village?

Ash
05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Do they not have Wetherspoons in London Village?

They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Though snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
20 minutes in and they've barely touched their pints. :-|
This is the generation that's going to have to fight the krauts again. We're fúcked. :-(

What if we are the generation that didn't have to fight in a conscript war? We wont be able to lecture anybody when we are old

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Trouble is, snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.

Pfft. A fine selection of ales and almost edible food. Tim Martin is an utter cùnt but I'll quite happily make him richer if he continues to sell cheap ale :shrug:

Sir C
05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Trouble is, snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.

I have been to such an establishment three times in my life:

1. A Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m. Swindon. Two Irish were scrapping in the middle of the floor. No one batted an eye. I left.
2. South Croydon, with b. I saw people eat... matter. Unidentifiable stuff which came from a microwave.
3. Some place near the Angel, late on a Saturday night. There were drunken Irish and I had an argument with a bin man.

Go on. Call me a snobby spastic.

SWv2
05-05-2017, 01:15 PM
They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet. Though snobby spastics refuse to go to 'spoonies because they hate mixing with the oiks.

I used to like The Toll Gate in Turnpike Lane and The Olde Suffolk Punch on Green Lanes.

Stop off after work, quick Ploughmans to tick a box and stay there until closing time.

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:15 PM
What if we are the generation that didn't have to fight in a conscript war? We wont be able to lecture anybody when we are old

I know. Mind you, my boomer parents didn't either. They just nicked all the final salary pensions.

Ash
05-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Pfft. A fine selection of ales and almost edible food.

:hehe: That's the thing. Not only is there a good selection but there is a fast turnover of barrels, so the beer is generally fresh as well as inexpensive. And people turn their noses up at this.

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I have been to such an establishment three times in my life:

1. A Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m. Swindon. Two Irish were scrapping in the middle of the floor. No one batted an eye. I left.
2. South Croydon, with b. I saw people eat... matter. Unidentifiable stuff which came from a microwave.
3. Some place near the Angel, late on a Saturday night. There were drunken Irish and I had an argument with a bin man.

Go on. Call me a snobby spastic.

I got to like The Sir Julian Huxley. They served a decent Rioja at a reasonable price and I was on first name terms with the barmaid 'Ange'.

IUFG
05-05-2017, 01:19 PM
They do indeed, and I am a fan of the Coronet.

I was in the White Swan the other week. It'll be a long while before I go back, imo.

And that McDonalds next door has to be the worst in London. Their ability to make the menu items utterly unrecognisable is borderline genius.

Ash
The Olde Suffolk Punch on Green Lanes.

:-(

http://pubshistory.com/Middlesex/Hornsey/OldSuffolkPunch.jpg

Burney
:hehe: That's the thing. Not only is there a good selection but there is a fast turnover of barrels, so the beer is generally fresh as well as inexpensive. And people turn their noses up at this.

They've just agreed to allow proper nouns. :-(
And they're still nowhere near the halfway point of their pints. :-( :-(

Should I strike them, do you think?

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
I know. Mind you, my boomer parents didn't either. They just nicked all the final salary pensions.

They had the aftermath though- rubble in the streets, mentally scared parents and rationing. I grew up with the Stones and the Who. I can hardly moan about the winter of discontent since my lot caused it.

Luis Anaconda
05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Some fine buildings as well - there is one in the City which is lovely (and importantly kept very well). The island bar can be a nightmare to get served at though

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:21 PM
They had the aftermath though- rubble in the streets, mentally scared parents and rationing. I grew up with the Stones and the Who. I can hardly moan about the winter of discontent since my lot caused it.

Mine didn't. They grew up in Dublin.

Luis Anaconda
05-05-2017, 01:22 PM

There were rumours in our family that our paternal grandfather fought in the WW2 - no one ever seems to say which side he fought on though

SWv2
:-(

http://pubshistory.com/Middlesex/Hornsey/OldSuffolkPunch.jpg

Good lord.

Just what Green Lanes needs.

Ash
I saw people eat... matter. Unidentifiable stuff which came from a microwave.

Call me a snobby spastic.

Snobby spastic.

There. I said it. ;-)

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Since watching that film about Oasis I have been revising my opinion of them.

I have also been listening to some of their music. :(

I feel terrible

Sir C
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Snobby spastic.

There. I said it. ;-)

Right. That's you in the book, with whoever else it was I put in the book.

IUFG
05-05-2017, 01:26 PM
...with whoever else it was I put in the book.

it was me, you snobby spastic

;-)

Burney
05-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Since watching that film about Oasis I have been revising my opinion of them.

I have also been listening to some of their music. :(

I feel terrible

No. You should be ashamed of yourself you dreadful man.

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
No. You should be ashamed of yourself you dreadful man.

It gets worse. I actually quite like Liam. :(

I want to stop but I can't.....

Peter
05-05-2017, 01:30 PM

So, no rationing then

Sir C
05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
It gets worse. I actually quite like Liam. :(

I want to stop but I can't.....

Good band. Some excellent songs and some decent songs. Did an important job - reminding us of the power of the electric guitar.

wd oasis.

Sir C
05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
it was me, you snobby spastic

;-)

:nod: I saw that when I got the book out.

I may put you in again now.