PDA

View Full Version : What we actually lack is a sufficient quantity of technical, creative midgets.

Ash
05-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Whodathunk it?

Well, he doesn't specify midgets exactly, but as usual @stilberto's column is worth a read. The thesis: this squard lacks the technical qualities required to play Wengerball.

"It is no wonder that Mesut Özil has taken on the appearance of a toddler in the supermarket that cannot find his mum."

http://arseblog.com/2017/05/pillarsofcreation/

SWv2
05-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Whodathunk it?

Well, he doesn't specify midgets exactly, but as usual @stilberto's column is worth a read. The thesis: this squard lacks the technical qualities required to play Wengerball.

"It is no wonder that Mesut Özil has taken on the appearance of a toddler in the supermarket that cannot find his mum."

Read it last evening. I quite like him.

Ash
05-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Read it last evening. I quite like him.

He is a regular on the Arsenal Vision podcast. He and another fella, Clive, who is sometimes on there, are two of the few people who make any sense to me when discussing the technicalities of the game.

Tony C
05-05-2017, 02:18 PM
What we're lacking is black players imo...remember that team that tore apart Leeds...Mad Jens, Cygan and 9 black players.

We're lacking the ferocity, strength and speed that those lads brought to the game imo

Not sure what's happened to Arsene but he doesn't invest in these types of players anymore...it's just one white boy after another.

In the summer I wouldn't mind investing in a few...first things first - sell Ozil and get Ross Barkley...the lad is part Nigerian. Him, Welbeck and Alexis (honorary brother) will rub riot next season imo

Ash
05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
What we're lacking is black players imo...remember that team that tore apart Leeds...Mad Jens, Cygan and 9 black players.

We're lacking the ferocity, strength and speed that those lads brought to the game imo

Not sure what's happened to Arsene but he doesn't invest in these types of players anymore...it's just one white boy after another.

In the summer I wouldn't mind investing in a few...first things first - sell Ozil and get Ross Barkley...the lad is part Nigerian. Him, Welbeck and Alexis (honorary brother) will rub riot next season imo

The African Cup of Nations thingy every two years in the middle of the season may have affected recruitment of African players.

Luis Anaconda
05-05-2017, 03:03 PM

I think we need Leeds back, t

SWv2
05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
The African Cup of Nations thingy every two years in the middle of the season may have affected recruitment of African players.

The ACN has always been every two years.

I don't really get the complaints about it.

redgunamo
05-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Whodathunk it?

He's got it backwards, I reckon; there's too many Wenger players and not enough good ones.

Ash
05-05-2017, 04:51 PM
He's got it backwards, I reckon; there's too many Wenger players and not enough good ones.

But his argument is that Hleb, Fabregas, Rosicky, van Persie, Nasri could reasonably reliably control and retain a football. cf Ramsey, Coq, Ox, Gibbs, Giroud, Alexis (special case) who can't.

We used to be famous for our ability to keep possession and create things (and not the sterile sort of possession we have now). Our weakness used to be our inability to defend. Now it's our inability to do anything. :shrug:

Ash
05-05-2017, 04:56 PM

But his argument is that Hleb, Fabregas, Rosicky, van Persie, Nasri could reasonably reliably control and retain a football. cf Ramsey, Coq, Ox, Gibbs, Giroud, Alexis (special case) who can't. And Theo :hehe:

We used to be famous for our ability to keep possession and create things (not the sterile sort od possession we have now). Our weakness used to be our inability to defend. Now it's our inability to do anything. :shrug:

redgunamo
05-05-2017, 05:29 PM
But his argument is that Hleb, Fabregas, Rosicky, van Persie, Nasri could reasonably reliably control and retain a football. cf Ramsey, Coq, Ox, Gibbs, Giroud, Alexis (special case) who can't.

We used to be famous for our ability to keep possession and create things (and not the sterile sort of possession we have now). Our weakness used to be our inability to defend. Now it's our inability to do anything. :shrug:

Like I said, all "Wenger" players. You can't win the league with so many of them whether you have lots of possession or not.

Pre-2006, we had "good" players.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Don't forget a lack of number 9s?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Sounds like we are spending more money and getting worse players

Also..... you forgot Walcott. Of all the forward players possibly the most guilty of an inability to retain possession.

redgunamo
05-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Sounds like we are spending more money and getting worse players

Also..... you forgot Walcott. Of all the forward players possibly the most guilty of an inability to retain possession.

Paying more money for better players, resulting in worse football.

Monty92
05-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Maybe Wenger just decided that our coloured friends can't do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke? After all, he said he never looks at a player's passport, but he didn't say anything about the colour of their skin.

redgunamo
05-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Maybe Wenger just decided that our coloured friends can't do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke? After all, he said he never looks at a player's passport, but he didn't say anything about the colour of their skin.

He does look at passports though; none of our British players would get anywhere near the team if they were foreign, imo.

Sir C
05-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Coloured? You can't say coloured for Gods sake.

Monty92
05-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Coloured? You can't say coloured for Gods sake.

Thanks for white-splaining racism to me.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Paying more money for better players, resulting in worse football.

That sounds like something only an SFC would do?

redgunamo
05-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Don't forget a lack of number 9s?

I just read: Premier League winners over the past decade average 83 goals; our seasonal average over that period of time? 71 goals. In the league so far this season we've scored 64 times

:-|

redgunamo
05-06-2017, 11:12 AM
That sounds like something only an SFC would do?

No. In fairness, we're all doing it :-\

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-06-2017, 03:58 PM
No. In fairness, we're all doing it :-\

I'm not so sure. Most teams are not setting up to play the same football we are trying to play.

taxman10
05-06-2017, 06:55 PM
I always thought we needed a fox in the box

redgunamo
05-07-2017, 09:32 AM
I'm not so sure. Most teams are not setting up to play the same football we are trying to play.

I mean *us*, the fans, the punters. Arsenal supporters.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-07-2017, 11:32 AM
I mean *us*, the fans, the punters. Arsenal supporters.

Ah....got you.