PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for places to move outside London please?

Monty92
05-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Criteria:
*Commutable from London and, specifically, no more than an hour’s drive from north London
*Trains must go into King’s Cross or Euston

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Criteria:
*Commutable from London and, specifically, no more than an hour’s drive from north London

Northampton.

Next question.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Northampton.

Next question.

Sorry, I should have said: somewhere nice.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Sorry, I should have said: somewhere nice.

I visited it two years ago and found it to be a charming, prosperous little market town with a wonderful chinese restaurant owned by a chap who had decamped from Soho. Admittedly the chinese restaurant has now closed.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Criteria:

Paris?

Personally, I moved to France (Elsaß) years ago to avoid quarantine regulations regarding importing hounds.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
I visited it two years ago and found it to be a charming, prosperous little market town with a wonderful chinese restaurant owned by a chap who had decamped from Soho. Admittedly the chinese restaurant has now closed.

What about a nice little seaside town in Essex? Any tips?

Ash
05-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Southend. :thumbup:

Burney
05-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Come and live in Hertfordshire. Some lovely places. Trains tend to go into Liverpool St, but you can get off at Tottenham Hale and change to the Victoria Line if Euston and King's Cross are important to you.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-03-2017, 10:00 AM

GLWTP imo. Kent has better ones but wouldn't meet your criteria.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Clacton. Delightful place. The Padstow of the East, they call it.

Enjoy.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Come and live in Hertfordshire. Some lovely places. Trains tend to go into Liverpool St, but you can get off at Tottenham Hale and change to the Victoria Line if Euston and King's Cross are important to you.

Could we get something as nice as this for our money?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65555786.html

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Clacton. Delightful place. The Padstow of the East, they call it.

Enjoy.

I was forced to spend 12 hours in Clacton after missing my ferry on the way to the 1999 UEFA cup final.

No.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Friends of mine lived in Leigh-on-Sea - always thought it was very nice, but invariable visited on hot summer's days which might skew the memories somewhat. Also train goes in to Fenchurch Street.

Thought of Cambridge?

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:06 AM

I believe 'terraced' means that one has 'neighbours'? Living right next door?

This is what I love about awimb. Getting to see how poor people live.

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Probably not quite. As ever, the further out you move, the more you'll get for your money. The transport links to London from that part of the world are fairly poxy. It all depends how far out you're prepared and able to live.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-03-2017, 10:08 AM

The gardens on these places depress me.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:08 AM

:nod: Just like in Knightsbridge, poor *******s.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:09 AM
I was forced to spend 12 hours in Clacton after missing my ferry on the way to the 1999 UEFA cup final.

No.

Why were you getting a ferry from Clacton to Moscow?

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Probably not quite. As ever, the further out you move, the more you'll get for your money. The transport links to London from that part of the world are fairly poxy. It all depends how far out you're prepared and able to live.

Parents getting old so don't want to be any further than an hour's drive from them, and commutable from London also essential. Other than that, it's just about getting a big old gaff in a nice town with some "character" and enough regional highlights to compensate for not being London (seaside, countryside, etc).

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Parents getting old so don't want to be any further than an hour's drive from them, and commutable from London also essential. Other than that, it's just about getting a big old gaff in a nice town with some "character" and enough regional highlights to compensate for not being London (seaside, countryside, etc).

Westgate on Sea is a lot more than an hour's drive from London. It's more than an hour's drive from other bits of Kent, ffs.

Seems to me that Essex and Herts are your only realistic options. Problem is, the bits of Essex nearer London tend to be pretty grim. Some exceptions, though. Chipping Ongar might work for you.

Mo Britain less Europe
05-03-2017, 10:13 AM
St. Albans

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Oh, in that case, live where you want and sod the parents! It's your life and they know it.

If they need you, they'll find you. Mine always do anyway :-|

Sir C
Friends of mine lived in Leigh-on-Sea - always thought it was very nice, but invariable visited on hot summer's days which might skew the memories somewhat. Also train goes in to Fenchurch Street.

Thought of Cambridge?

I think I read recently that Cambridge is all sorts of fortunes.

Burney
St. Albans

:nod: Stalbans is nice. Hitchin, too. Hertford and Ware are nice, also.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:17 AM
:nod: Stalbans is nice. Hitchin, too. Hertford and Ware are nice, also.

:nod: I like Stalbans once I disassociated it from years of being dragged to see my great aunt in the nunnery there

Harpenden is nice also - but probably a tad expensive

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:17 AM
I think I read recently that Cambridge is all sorts of fortunes.

:nod: Not far off London prices in the centre. And the outskirts are all a bit meh.

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:18 AM
:nod: I like Stalbans once I disassociated it from years of being dragged to see my great aunt in the nunnery there

Harpenden is nice also - but probably a tad expensive

Oh, dear. Had she been a naughty young lady and been hied thence to live out her days in seclusion so as not to embarrass the family?

I saw a nun yesterday. I almost jumped out of my skin. They give me the fear for some reason.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:18 AM
:nod: Not far off London prices in the centre. And the outskirts are all a bit meh.

Monty's minted though - I must say I have only been there once and can't say it was that nice. Oxford is much nicer

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Monty's minted though - I must say I have only been there once and can't say it was that nice. Oxford is much nicer

The thing people forget about Cambridge is that it's absolutely tiny.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:22 AM

I thought it was "Monty's munter's minted"?* And you are correct about Oxford. It's approximately 218% nicer.

*Apologies, M; couldn't resist.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I thought it was "Monty's munter's minted"?* And you are correct about Oxford. It's approximately 218% nicer.

*Apologies, M; couldn't resist.

Neither of us are minted. We are the squeezed middle, dontcha know.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Cambridge has East Anglian Big Skies, though. Proper pilot's country round there.

Ash
05-03-2017, 10:24 AM

My recollection of visiting Oxford every weekend during the early 90s was the fine-buildinged, Morse-esque interior full of smug students, and a ring of seething resentment around the outside.

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Cambridge has East Anglian Big Skies, though. Proper pilot's country round there.

Fücking freezing in winter, though. The wind'd cut you in two.

SWv2
05-03-2017, 10:25 AM

2 x six figure salaries are squeezed nothing.

redgunamo

Decent quip though? Well-timed at least? :-(

Ash

You were bragging about your six figure income. :shrug:

That might not be much for some people on here but for others it is a decent wad.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Oh, dear. Had she been a naughty young lady and been hied thence to live out her days in seclusion so as not to embarrass the family?

I saw a nun yesterday. I almost jumped out of my skin. They give me the fear for some reason.
I've no idea actually, particularly not how she ended up in St Albans. Nuns are terrifying though, b. You are right to be scared. I remember, I was often sent to the kitchen to get more tea or something on visits. The place was full of dark corners from whence they would emerge and terrify me

I have an aunt who is also one of Christ's brides - but she was way cooler. She went to teach in San Francisco

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Fücking freezing in winter, though. The wind'd cut you in two.

:nod: And often has. There is nowhere, and I mean nowhere, colder than an East Anglian airfield on a crisp winter's morning :cloud9:

An Irvin jacket and a flying suit and you're sorted.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:27 AM
My recollection of visiting Oxford every weekend during the early 90s was the fine-buildinged, Morse-esque interior full of smug students, and a ring of seething resentment around the outside.

Town v Gown has long been something of an issue. Almost inevitably, I suppose.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Yes the students tend to bring the whole place down. Best to visit in the summer - some very decent pubs

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Yes the student's tend to bring the whole place down. Best to visit in the summer - some very decent pubs

The city council still won't allow a kebab shop or a titty-bar. Wánkers.

Your errant apostrophe is causing me physical pain. Please attend to it forthwith.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:29 AM

That might not be much for some people on here but for others it is a decent wad.

He has a wife and bairns though, so there's not really any such thing as a decent wad.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
The city council still won't allow a kebab shop or a titty-bar. Wánkers.

Your errant apostrophe is causing me physical pain. Please attend to it forthwith.

When I was going around, there were plenty of kebab palaces :rubchin:

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:33 AM

It's not a decent wad if have a big mortgage and London childcare costs. Even a 200k-earning family will have little left over at the end of the month once all the bills are paid.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:36 AM
When I was going around, there were plenty of kebab palaces :rubchin:

There are several kebab vans which drive in and park up, and there's that nice little Lebanese restaurant in Jericho, but no kebab shops.

Burney
05-03-2017, 10:37 AM
I've no idea actually, particularly not how she ended up in St Albans. Nuns are terrifying though, b. You are right to be scared. I remember, I was often sent to the kitchen to get more tea or something on visits. The place was full of dark corners from whence they would emerge and terrify me

I have an aunt who is also one of Christ's brides - but she was way cooler. She went to teach in San Francisco

Thankfully, I don't come from the sort of Irish family where people taking holy orders was considered a desirable thing. My family has always been pretty wary of such people, in fact.

Ash
05-03-2017, 10:41 AM
It's not a decent wad if have a big mortgage and London childcare costs. Even a 200k-earning family will have little left over at the end of the month once all the bills are paid.

Fair enough. I do wonder where the middle-class families that live around me get their moolah. Thanks the gods for social housing, else there would be no pwopah caffs and offies left on Junction Road.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Thankfully, I don't come from the sort of Irish family where people taking holy orders was considered a desirable thing. My family has always been pretty wary of such people, in fact.
With good reason, b. Don't have many priests - I think my dad's first cousin's son became one, and his twin sister became a nun, but they were a big family with sons to spare. Tended to be thin on the ground on that side

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:44 AM
There are several kebab vans which drive in and park up, and there's that nice little Lebanese restaurant in Jericho, but no kebab shops.

Perhaps you just had to know people; my Persian chums (Yasmin Le Bon was one of the party; in fact, I got to meet the lovely Simon Le Bon through her) introduced me to several excellent places over the years. Mint sauce on the salad and everything.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Fair enough. I do wonder where the middle-class families that live around me get their moolah. Thanks the gods for social housing, else there would be no pwopah caffs and offies left on Junction Road.

Money breeds money - it's a cycle. A middle class family is likely to have parents who chucked them a big wedge to get them on the property ladder. Everything else follows. For example, the larger your home, the cheaper your childcare costs as you can pay pennies for a live-in nanny.

We can't hire a live-in nanny (even though it woudl be by far the cheapest option) as we didn't get any help from parents and so live in a poky little flat in Finchley and so instead we end up having to pay a childminder £2.5k a month.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Perhaps you just had to know people; my Persian chums (Yasmin Le Bon was one of the party; in fact, I got to meet the lovely Simon Le Bon through her) introduced me to several excellent places over the years. Mint sauce on the salad and everything.

Know people? Oh, I know people alright. I might almost say that I know people who know people, if you get my drift.

Monty92
05-03-2017, 10:51 AM

I interviewed Simon Le Bon a few months back. I liked him a lot.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Know people? Oh, I know people alright. I might almost say that I know people who know people, if you get my drift.

Not much good if they can't even get you a kebab though, is it.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:57 AM
I interviewed Simon Le Bon a few months back. I liked him a lot.

That's terrific! I never cared for him or his teeny-bopper band before, but after meeting him (In '89 this would have been) I became a big fan, got all their LPs. Excellent fellow.

Ash
05-03-2017, 11:01 AM
We can't hire a live-in nanny (even though it woudl be by far the cheapest option) as we didn't get any help from parents and so live in a poky little flat in Finchley and so instead we end up having to pay a childminder £2.5k a month.

Surely this is what wives were invented for though? :redg:

Sir C
05-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Not much good if they can't even get you a kebab though, is it.

Oddly, at that time I was sharing a house with his masseuse. I never met him but heard many tales.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Surely this is what wives were invented for though? :redg:

Yes, but childminders are clearly the better option, if a certain financial prudence is required.

It's a rather sad state of affairs, but I've been extremely fortunate; my people are from the third world and so have different priorities.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Oddly, at that time I was sharing a house with his masseuse. I never met him but heard many tales.

Just to be clear, *whose* masseuse? Monty's? No wonder he's skint.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
St Osyth and Jaywick Sands are really rather pleasant. My nan had a caravan there so I know from experience.

(forget Nothampton ...s' ****'ole)

Pokster
05-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Oh do **** off.... childcare is not 5 times more expensive in London than anywhere else

Monty92
05-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Oh do **** off.... childcare is not 5 times more expensive in London than anywhere else

If we lived up north we'd have a bigger house and would pay a 17-year-old live-in nanny from New Zealand £30 a week to look after my children and occasionally have sex with me (non-negotiable).

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 11:17 AM

For Monty's children though, p

Monty92
05-03-2017, 11:18 AM
For Monty's children though, p

You've met them then? :-(

Sir C
05-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Just to be clear, *whose* masseuse? Monty's? No wonder he's skint.

Simon's (and Yasmin's).

She was a devotee of the golden shower, and I once found her whipping a naked Matt Monroe's son across a glass coffee table.

Nice girl, actually.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Simon's (and Yasmin's).

She was a devotee of the golden shower, and I once found her whipping a naked Matt Monroe's son across a glass coffee table.

Nice girl, actually.

Oh, I say! Very nice indeed clearly.