PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some restaurant recommendations in Amsterdam. Not necessarily fine dining

Rich
05-03-2017, 07:39 AM
, but somewhere charming with wonderful service.

Not looking for unlimited ribs.

Thank you in advance, Awimb.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 08:05 AM

For seafood, Lucius in the Jordaan.

For traditional Dutch food with a modern twist, Greetje (Highly recommended. Try the suikerbrood.)

For Indonesian, Sampurna.

Obviously there are Michelin-starred options as well - if you like Japanese food, try the kaiseki restaurant at the Okura hotel.

Be sure to stop regularly at Eetcafés to try krokets and chips. Roadside stalls will sell you Hollandse Nieuwe, raw, salted fat herring, to be eaten with chopped raw onion. You must also try Patatje Oorlog (war chips) served with satay sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup and onions.

Eet smakelijk!

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 08:23 AM

For traditional Dutch food with a modern twist, Greetje (Highly recommended. Try the suikerbrood.)

Obviously there are Michelin-starred options as well - if you like Japanese food, try the kaiseki restaurant at the Okura hotel.

Be sure to stop regularly at Eetcafés to try krokets and chips. Roadside stalls will sell you Hollandse Nieuwe, raw, salted fat herring, to be eaten with chopped raw onion. You must also try Patatje Oorlog (war chips) served with satay sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup and onions.

Eet smakelijk!
War chips sound like something Geordies might eat. With battered fish of course

IUFG
05-03-2017, 08:26 AM

this ticks all those boxes

Sir C
05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
War chips sound like something Geordies might eat

I heard a northerner ordering chips and gravy last week la. They actually do it! Chips and gravy! In a chippy!

Amazing.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 08:35 AM
I heard a northerner ordering chips and gravy last week la. They actually do it! Chips and gravy! In a chippy!

Amazing.

Are you sure this wasn't the KFC? When I lived up north* it seemed to be chips and curry sauce. Heathens

*Sheffield so not really north

Burney
05-03-2017, 08:38 AM
this ticks all those boxes

:nod: It's says it the lekkerest and it's not lying. Nothing says lekker like mechanically recovered meat in a warm plastic box.

Burney
05-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Are you sure this wasn't the KFC? When I lived up north* it seemed to be chips and curry sauce. Heathens

My wife is mad for chips and gravy. She grew up in Bradford and went to uni in Sheffield. She will accept curry sauce at a pinch.

World's End Stella
05-03-2017, 09:03 AM

If you're going to do it, it should be done properly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 09:05 AM
If you're going to do it, it should be done properly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

There are few more attractive names for foods than cheese curds

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:06 AM
My wife is mad for chips and gravy. She grew up in Bradford and went to uni in Sheffield. She will accept curry sauce at a pinch.

Does the gravy go on the chips, or is it served on the sdie for dipping?

Asking for a friend.

Burney
05-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Does the gravy go on the chips, or is it served on the sdie for dipping?

Asking for a friend.

On the chips. They must be soggy with gravy in order to be authentic.

World's End Stella
05-03-2017, 09:08 AM

With one last sprinkling of salt post gravy application - this is key imo

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 09:11 AM
I like Lucius.

Eet smakelijk!

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Jesus fúcking Christ :-(

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:14 AM
I like Lucius.

:nod: They are masters with a Dover Sole.

Burney
05-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Jesus fúcking Christ :-(

None of this effete dipping rubbish, man! You want a big wet mass of potato and gravy. Dips are for Greeks, women on diets and homosexualisers.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:19 AM
None of this effete dipping rubbish, man! You want a big wet mass of potato and gravy. Dips are for Greeks, women on diets and homosexualisers.

Have you tried this ghastly Australian seasoning mix, the so-called 'chicken salt'? I made up a batch yesterday and sprinkled it liberally 'pon my chips. It was really rather good. :-(

Burney
05-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Have you tried this ghastly Australian seasoning mix, the so-called 'chicken salt'? I made up a batch yesterday and sprinkled it liberally 'pon my chips. It was really rather good. :-(

I haven't, but I've made similar myself. I used it on chips and wee roasties. Very nice indeed.

SWv2
05-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Big fúck off schwarma at the end of the evening, all the dining advice a chap needs on such a city break.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Big fúck off schwarma at the end of the evening, all the dining advice a chap needs on such a city break.

Right. Washed down with a skinful of the local brew. Especially if you're accompanied by your posh bit of stuff, as I assume R is.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:37 AM

I know rich is young compared to the rest of us, but he's a qualfied doctor, so he must be in his mid-20s at the youngest. He's therefore rather old to still be of a holiday as an oppotunity to drink a load of ale and eat kebabs, surely? I mean, he's an adult, for fúck's sake.

SWv2
05-03-2017, 09:40 AM
I know rich is young compared to the rest of us, but he's a qualfied doctor, so he must be in his mid-20s at the youngest. He's therefore rather old to still be of a holiday as an oppotunity to drink a load of ale and eat kebabs, surely? I mean, he's an adult, for fúck's sake.

Why in the name of all that is holy is he going to Amsterdam then if not to drink beer, smoke more than one should and foodily gorge on immensely tasty **** in the aftermath of said activity.

I will give him due credit that he is not going to bone the árse of a hooker as he may be with his incorrigible bint.

Sir C
05-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Why in the name of all that is holy is he going to Amsterdam then if not to drink beer, smoke more than one should and foodily gorge on immensely tasty **** in the aftermath of said activity.

I will give him due credit that he is not going to bone the árse of a hooker as he may be with his incorrigible bint.

Well, if one is 18 years old and a bit educationally retarded, perhaps. But we're grown men now, old chap.

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 09:42 AM

No, it's the over 50s who do all the *real* roaring and gorging nowadays, rather than the youngsters. They have the money and the time, see, and no longer have to bother about professional integrity or public decency and propriety or dignified behaviour and all that rot.

SWv2
05-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Well, if one is 18 years old and a bit educationally retarded, perhaps. But we're grown men now, old chap.

18 year olds go to Ibiza and Ayia Napa I believe, and year long study breaks to Antipodean paradises etc.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2017, 10:14 AM
No, it's the over 50s who do all the *real* roaring and gorging nowadays, rather than the youngsters. They have the money and the time, see, and no longer have to bother about professional integrity or public decency and propriety or dignified behaviour and all that rot.

I am going to my third 50th birthday party in about a month at the weekend :( There was surprisingly little roaring and gorging at the the first two. Mind you the second one was a family affair and I was the sober, responsible one

redgunamo
05-03-2017, 10:18 AM
I am going to my third 50th birthday party in about a month at the weekend :( There was surprisingly little roaring and gorging at the the first two. Mind you the second one was a family affair and I was the sober, responsible one

Oh, I *am* sorry. That's people nowadays, you see; so unpredictable :-(