PDA

View Full Version : Did He get the selection right on Wednesday?

Ash
04-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Well yes, obviously, because we won - but we only just.

Of course, it was only the champions with their terrible away record, and we had to rotate between two big games, but taking two of the best players from the previous game out and moving a third to a different position (Ox, Holding, Monreal) did seem a bit much. Also, Coq and Theo. :-(

Luis Anaconda
04-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Of course, it was only the champions with their terrible away record, and we had to rotate between two big games, but taking two of the best players from the previous game out and moving a third to a different position (Ox, Holding, Monreal) did seem a bit much. Also, Coq and Theo. :-(
I assume Holding had a knock as he wasn't even on the bench. Ox also left Wembley on crutches and besides Bellerin looked sharper than he has for some time and was arguably our best player. I thought he kept changes to an absolute minimal. If he had played the same side and we had stuttered people would be complaining he played a tired team :shrug:

redgunamo
04-28-2017, 09:50 AM
I assume Holding had a knock as he wasn't even on the bench. Ox also left Wembley on crutches and besides Bellerin looked sharper than he has for some time and was arguably our best player. I thought he kept changes to an absolute minimal. If he had played the same side and we had stuttered people would be complaining he played a tired team :shrug:

In fairness, Wenger is the one who tends to complain about the tiredness. Most of the rest of us can't understand why professional footballers can't play two games in a week for their three hundert million pounds per week or whatever it is.

Ash
04-28-2017, 09:56 AM
In fairness, Wenger is the one who tends to complain about the tiredness. Most of the rest of us can't understand why professional footballers can't play two games in a week for their three hundert million pounds per week or whatever it is.

Indeed. How many hares can a dog chase in a week?

redgunamo
04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Indeed. How many hares can a dog chase in a week?

For *that*money? As many as you like, imo.

Peter
04-28-2017, 10:09 AM

They can play two games in a week. They will just be a bit more tired than a team that hasn't.

Peter
04-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Theo up front surprised me, the rest didn't. Wasn't surprised by Holding, perhaps he doesn't want to stretch him too much at this stage.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Theo up front surprised me, the rest didn't. Wasn't surprised by Holding, perhaps he doesn't want to stretch him too much at this stage.

Coquelin was the worst one imo. Three at the back and you're at home to a side parking the bus and playing on the counter.

redgunamo
04-28-2017, 10:36 AM
They can play two games in a week. They will just be a bit more tired than a team that hasn't.

Exactly. No excuse for not winning.

SWv2
04-28-2017, 10:39 AM

I would imagine the addition of extra-time on Sunday forced his hand somewhat.

Further there is an argument that he has to see Bellerin in the new formation.

Pat Vegas
04-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Walcott for years want said he wanted to play down the middle as a striker.

He gets into a position strikers love and he casually passes the ball backwards.