PDA

View Full Version : There's no escaping it, sitting around vaguely working but mainly

Monty92
04-27-2017, 10:25 AM
scratching your b*llocks while someone cleans your house makes you feel like an unmitigated c*nt? :-(

And curiously, I've found that when your cleaner is English, it feels that bit worse.

redgunamo
04-27-2017, 10:34 AM
scratching your b*llocks while someone cleans your house makes you feel like an unmitigated c*nt? :-(

And curiously, I've found that when your cleaner is English, it feels that bit worse.

Just console yourself that cleaners, even English ones, I imagine, are a million times cheaper than decent wives:-\

IUFG
04-27-2017, 10:39 AM

This will make you feel better about things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GEB-TYLMmQ

Burney
04-27-2017, 10:44 AM

I've become used to it. The problem lies in your own prejudice, of course. You see cleaning someone else's house as a demeaning thing to have to do because you are a snob. Your discomfort has its roots in your deep-seated contempt for anyone who performs what you see as menial tasks for money.

Were you simply to see it as a valid and worthwhile occupation and the person doing it as a hardworking individual deserving of your respect independent of what they do, your discomfort would vanish.

Pat Vegas
04-27-2017, 10:46 AM

better to get a foreign won so they can't understand what you are thinking when they read your mind

SWv2
04-27-2017, 10:50 AM
I've become used to it. The problem lies in your own prejudice, of course. You see cleaning someone else's house as a demeaning thing to have to do because you are a snob. Your discomfort has its roots in your deep-seated contempt for anyone who performs what you see as menial tasks for money.

Were you simply to see it as a valid and worthwhile occupation and the person doing it as a hardworking individual deserving of your respect independent of what they do, your discomfort would vanish.

This is a fact.

No different than paying a person to wash your car or any other “menial” task which one chooses not to do through laziness or simply not being fúcking arsed. See also gardening tasks, home DIY or repairs and to a lesser degree internet shopping.

Quite often tasks one could complete but we choose not to and instead we choose to pay.

None of the above are looked down upon.

Monty92
04-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Does the same apply to prostitutes? Asking for a friend.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-27-2017, 10:52 AM
This is a fact.

No different than paying a person to wash your car or any other “menial” task which one chooses not to do through laziness or simply not being fúcking arsed. See also gardening tasks, home DIY or repairs and to a lesser degree internet shopping.

Quite often tasks one could complete but we choose not to and instead we choose to pay.

See also window cleaners
I clean mine twice a year

SWv2
04-27-2017, 10:53 AM
See also window cleaners
I clean mine twice a year

Never, ever.

Fúck going up a ladder with a sponge. I give the chap water and then fúck off back to the sofa.

Pat Vegas
04-27-2017, 10:54 AM
This is a fact.

Why can't I find a decent carwash. None of the wons do a good job near me.

They rush the job, I appreciate them putting that black stuff on my wheels to make them shine.
but please clean the bird **** off.
I expect more for my £12 to be honest.

I feel weird sitting in the car whilst all these eastern european blokes clean my car

Viva Prat Vegas
04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Never, ever.

Fúck going up a ladder with a sponge. I give the chap water and then fúck off back to the sofa.

Fash had a good window cleaning arrangement
They would take them away and then bring them back all clean 24 hours later

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Does the same apply to prostitutes? Asking for a friend.

Well, I've never transacted with a prostitute, but in the sense that they are individuals trying to do the best for themselves and thus deserving of consideration, kindness and respect, then yes. What would you suggest? Treating them with contempt?

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Never, ever.

Ladders generally can fück off. My fear of heights makes hiring such fellows a necessity rather than a luxury.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-27-2017, 11:05 AM
What would you suggest? Treating them with contempt?

Not at the prices they charge
I imagine Monty likes to haggle

Monty92
04-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Well, I've never transacted with a prostitute, but in the sense that they are individuals trying to do the best for themselves and thus deserving of consideration, kindness and respect, then yes. What would you suggest? Treating them with contempt?

I would never treat anyone with contempt for their choice of profession. I, of course, reserve the right to secretly hold them in contempt.

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:11 AM
I would never treat anyone with contempt for their choice of profession. I, of course, reserve the right to secretly hold them in contempt.

Of course you do. But what you have to realise is that that's your shortcoming rather than theirs. Your contempt is a function of your own narrow-mindedness and represents a severe failure of empathy and imagination on your part. :shrug:

Norn Iron
04-27-2017, 11:29 AM

I was considering getting a cleaner but I was thinking I would have to go to the shop when they were there as I couldn't sit and watch someone clean my house. I'm quite lazy but I'm really not good at cleaning. I can't deal with toilets. I feel like I only do a half job and I need a professional.

Monty92
04-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Of course you do. But what you have to realise is that that's your shortcoming rather than theirs. Your contempt is a function of your own narrow-mindedness and represents a severe failure of empathy and imagination on your part. :shrug:

I'm dubious about your ability to maintain the moral high ground in this instance. Are you absolutely sure you've never expressed contemptuous sentiments about people in menial jobs?

redgunamo
04-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Right. See also: His views regarding football supporters.

redgunamo
04-27-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm dubious about your ability to maintain the moral high ground in this instance. Are you absolutely sure you've never expressed contemptuous sentiments about people in menial jobs?

Footballers for a start.

Rich
04-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Never, ever.

My cats chase him from window to window :hehe:

How much do you pay, out of interest. My chap asks me for £25 which I find a tad steep.

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Oh, not at all! I speak from experience. I once would have sympathised entirely with your sense of awkwardness about this sort of thing.

However, I have had the opportunity to re-examine my attitudes and came to the realisation I have outlined to you.

SWv2
04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

To be fair you have always shown yourself to have a snide, condescending view of most people.

I don't think profession has ever been a criteria.

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

How much do you pay, out of interest. My chap asks me for £25 which I find a tad steep.

It depends entirely on the number of windows, surely?

SWv2
04-27-2017, 11:41 AM

I have no idea to be honest as I would imagine it is a year since we engaged such a chap.

We had a lad once, a god botherer, who only charged €20 but part of this deal was that I stood at the bottom of the ladder and steadied the thing as he ascended. Naturally what with me a) paying him and b) helping him this was not a long term agreement.

Rich
04-27-2017, 11:42 AM
It depends entirely on the number of windows, surely?

Hmm, he just knocked on my door one day and that was the price he offered me. Didn't count my windows beforehand.

Pat Vegas
04-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Hmm, he just knocked on my door one day and that was the price he offered me. Didn't count my windows beforehand.

:hehe: very vague reply Rich.

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
I have no idea to be honest as I would imagine it is a year since we engaged such a chap.

We had a lad once, a god botherer, who only charged €20 but part of this deal was that I stood at the bottom of the ladder and steadied the thing as he ascended. Naturally what with me a) paying him and b) helping him this was not a long term agreement.

I'd say him asking you to hold the ladder didn't display a great deal of faith.

PSRB
04-27-2017, 11:47 AM

£4.50 per time, he does it once a month but only the front of the house. The windows at the back I have to do.....hence they're filthy

Burney
04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
£4.50 per time, he does it once a month but only the front of the house. The windows at the back I have to do.....hence they're filthy

£4.50? You bloody slavedriver!

Ash
04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Why can't I find a decent carwash. None of the wons do a good job near me.

They rush the job, I appreciate them putting that black stuff on my wheels to make them shine.
but please clean the bird **** off.
I expect more for my £12 to be honest.

I feel weird sitting in the car whilst all these eastern european blokes clean my car

They're not really there to launder your car though, tbf. They are there to launder cash for their gangster owners.

The place at the bottom of Swains Lane has gone now, and so has the garage on Holloway road where you can hire a squirty thing to do it yourself. Hence the car is now right state. I will have to take it to the Kentish Town won which is a nuisance because of the traffic.

SWv2
04-27-2017, 11:50 AM

£4.50. What the fúck.

Do you live in one of these?

PSRB
04-27-2017, 11:54 AM
£4.50. What the fúck.

They do the whole road, oddly I thought it was rather expensive......well they did it every 2 weeks which I thought was overkill, got them to do it once a month now

Ash
04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Not sure they are the same. DIY and repairs takes some skill which I am very happy to rely on a professional for. Car washing requires infrastructure and storage space for this equipment.

Monty92
04-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Oh, not at all! I speak from experience. I once would have sympathised entirely with your sense of awkwardness about this sort of thing.

However, I have had the opportunity to re-examine my attitudes and came to the realisation I have outlined to you.

Actually, there's no better way to prompt such an awakening than to be rescued by an AA man a few times as you sit stranded and pathetically helpless like a small child in a shopping centre that's lost its parents.

I f*cking love the AA.

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2017, 12:26 PM

:hehe: Very good b

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2017, 12:27 PM
£4.50. What the fúck.

He lives in the North, sw - probably a fortune for the poor lad who does it

Pat Vegas
04-27-2017, 12:50 PM
They're not really there to launder your car though, tbf. They are there to launder cash for their gangster owners.

The place at the bottom of Swains Lane has gone now, and so has the garage on Holloway road where you can hire a squirty thing to do it yourself. Hence the car is now right state. I will have to take it to the Kentish Town won which is a nuisance because of the traffic.

I remember a bit up from Highgate station.

Still won in Stroud Green Road the finsbury park station end. There is also one in the Esso in Hornsey Road.

But I wouldn't mind doing it my self don't seem to find many petrol stations with the hose anymore.
I could do it at home but I'd have to run a hose out the window and people will start moaning.

SWv2
04-27-2017, 12:59 PM

:-|

Ash
04-27-2017, 02:25 PM
I remember a bit up from Highgate station.

Still won in Stroud Green Road the finsbury park station end. There is also one in the Esso in Hornsey Road.

But I wouldn't mind doing it my self don't seem to find many petrol stations with the hose anymore.
I could do it at home but I'd have to run a hose out the window and people will start moaning.

So I went to the carwash in Kentish Town. Decent enough job, I thought, without being an expert. Four blokes working very hard for about 20 mins cleaning outside and in for £13.50 seemed reasonable to me. Car nice and shiny for Ms A to drive her mum and sister around at the weekend. :browniepoints:

Pat Vegas
04-27-2017, 02:28 PM
So I went to the carwash in Kentish Town. Decent enough job, I thought, without being an expert. Four blokes working very hard for about 20 mins cleaning outside and in for £13.50 seemed reasonable to me. Car nice and shiny for Ms A to drive her mum and sister around at the weekend. :browniepoints:

:-) I am sure at the one I went to they just sprayed air freshener in my car.