PDA

View Full Version : I remain unconvinced that our improvement had much to do with the formation change

World's End Stella
04-24-2017, 08:31 AM
The midfield worked harder at closing down and keeping their shape defensively than at any point this season, and by some distance. Well done Arsenal midfield. :clap:

The question that has been rightly asked, and all supporters should ask more often, is why do we so rarely see this in our team? Athletico Madrid, as an example, play like this almost every game, so why can't we?

Amazing how much better CBs look when they don't get dragged out wide or have to step up into midfield and can spend the game clearing balls played into the box in which they are standing. See also, John Terry's entire career.

And to think some of you didn't want Spurs in the final. Precisely no question in my mind we would have beat that lot in the final. Oh well. :shrug:

Pokster
04-24-2017, 08:41 AM
The midfield worked harder at closing down and keeping their shape defensively than at any point this season, and by some distance. Well done Arsenal midfield. :clap:

The question that has been rightly asked, and all supporters should ask more often, is why do we so rarely see this in our team? Athletico Madrid, as an example, play like this almost every game, so why can't we?

Amazing how much better CBs look when they don't get dragged out wide or have to step up into midfield and can spend the game clearing balls played into the box in which they are standing. See also, John Terry's entire career.

And to think some of you didn't want Spurs in the final. Precisely no question in my mind we would have beat that lot in the final. Oh well. :shrug:
We shouldn't want Spurs in the final as we don't want them to have a sniff of winning anything :shrug: why would you want the chance of them beating us in an important game?

Billy Goat Sverige
04-24-2017, 08:45 AM

Hard to say. We could beat them playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-2-1. What i would say is i think playing 3 at the back is better suited to how we play. Our full backs play like wing backs in the 4-3-3 so might as well have the extra CB in there instead. I hope he persists with it into next season. We've got a few good ball playing CBs who can step out into midfield and full backs suited to playing as wing backs.

Rich
04-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Hard to say. We could beat them playing 4-3-3 or 3-4-2-1. What i would say is i think playing 3 at the back is better suited to how we play. Our full backs play like wing backs in the 4-3-3 so might as well have the extra CB in there instead. I hope he persists with it into next season. We've got a few good ball playing CBs who can step out into midfield and full backs suited to playing as wing backs.

I wholeheartedly agree - Hopefully we can get into the top 4 and bring in a couple of superstars in the summer. Perhaps we should keep Alexis as well. He looks happy at the moment :-)

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 08:56 AM

We play the way we do because we *want* to :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2017, 08:57 AM

The Schalke guy we are supposed to be signing is more suited to playing wing back as well

Pat Vegas
04-24-2017, 09:03 AM
The Schalke guy we are supposed to be signing is more suited to playing wing back as well

bloody wenger fooled us. I was trying to look all smart thinking saying we had adapted especially for middlesbrough.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Yeah i read that this season he's been excellent since they changed formation. It also seems to have turned Chamberlain into Cafu :hehe:

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 09:08 AM

"Multiple defensive positions" I thought they said. Which is a good way of putting it, I think.

Ash
04-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Something about it resetting the mind-set of players too, perhaps. The formation alone doesn't explain how they were suddenly winning balls, 'snapping into tackles', as they say, and roughing opponents up.

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Something about it resetting the mind-set of players too, perhaps. The formation alone doesn't explain how they were suddenly winning balls, 'snapping into tackles', as they say, and roughing opponents up.

Right. It's the way a manager can show them what his priorities are this week. I doubt Wenger would even mind the goal Manchester City scored too much.

Ash
04-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Right. It's the way a manager can show them what his priorities are this week. I doubt Wenger would even mind the goal Manchester City scored too much.

I bloody did.

Keeper bottled it. I'll let WES point out who gave the ball away with almost everyone ahead of it.

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 09:21 AM
I bloody did.

Keeper bottled it. I'll let WES point out who gave the ball away with almost everyone ahead of it.

Oh, yes. Fair enough but it was supposed to be against Pepball, not Allardyceball.

Point is, when they were in control (first half), they barely laid a glove on us.

World's End Stella
04-24-2017, 09:29 AM
I bloody did.

:bitestongue:

World's End Stella
04-24-2017, 09:56 AM
I bloody did.

BTW, at that moment both little master WES and, I'm told, little master SW, learned some new words which their respective fathers asked them to forget.

:-(

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 10:08 AM
BTW, at that moment both little master WES and, I'm told, little master SW, learned some new words which their respective fathers asked them to forget.

:-(

Keep your breath for cooling your porridge, imo. Boys just need to learn discretion, and preferably from *you*.

They are going to be men, after all. Hopefully.

Tony C
04-24-2017, 10:16 AM
they need to maintain their change of attitude and belief in one another

Still got some kinks to iron out in this new system...problem areas...that will cost us but with everyone at least running their arses off and working hard we can can get past this i.e. Ramsey is still out of form, Ozil isn't playing his natural game and his role would be better suited to another type off player and Giroud was largely ineffective for long periods yesterday...need someone a bit more dynamic in his role.

Just about Ramsey...Wouldn't mind slotting Mustafi into his role when he's back...add more steel in their...should be fun with him and Xhaka in there plus a back 3 behind them.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-24-2017, 10:16 AM

In the first half, we were being dragged about a bit. The wing backs occasionally found themselves wrong side of the CB and the diagonal ball did cause us quite a few problems. Fortunately, the City final balls were not great. The best thing that happened was Silva going off. That was a big moment for us.

But, the players stuck with it and were outstanding 2nd half (minus the goal) and in ET. We need to show this level of commitment in every game. The quality of the players will come through but we have to create that position in the game for those players to add the quality.

Ash
04-24-2017, 10:27 AM
The best thing that happened was Silva going off. That was a big moment for us.

Gabriel :thumbup:

When was the last time we kicked an opponent off the park?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Gabriel :thumbup:

When was the last time we kicked an opponent off the park?

Probably not since Flamini was any good?

:thumbup: to Xhaka as well. He made every single challenge that he needed to and didn't go to ground unless it was necessary.

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2017, 11:30 AM
they need to maintain their change of attitude and belief in one another

Still got some kinks to iron out in this new system...problem areas...that will cost us but with everyone at least running their arses off and working hard we can can get past this i.e. Ramsey is still out of form, Ozil isn't playing his natural game and his role would be better suited to another type off player and Giroud was largely ineffective for long periods yesterday...need someone a bit more dynamic in his role.

Just about Ramsey...Wouldn't mind slotting Mustafi into his role when he's back...add more steel in their...should be fun with him and Xhaka in there plus a back 3 behind them.

I rather liked the look of Chambers in there last season - that could be an option or he can slot into the back three as well. Lots of talk about Arda Turan - in this system he could be the perfect Santi replacement imo

AFC East
04-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Personally I disagree. Having three at the back (or five when we're defending), does give us more coverage across the middle. Look at how many goals we conceded where players got in between the two centre backs. Particularly notable when the CBs were pulled wide to cover for a marauding full back. Now there is still cover in the middle when that happens. It also gives both full backs more liberty to attack as a pair.

As for the MC goal. Ridiculous to blame Ramsey. If giving the ball away on the edge of the opponents box leads to a goal for them, it's not the fault of the person that lost the ball. All teams will lose possession in these situations.

Pokster
04-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Personally I disagree. Having three at the back (or five when we're defending), does give us more coverage across the middle. Look at how many goals we conceded where players got in between the two centre backs. Particularly notable when the CBs were pulled wide to cover for a marauding full back. Now there is still cover in the middle when that happens. It also gives both full backs more liberty to attack as a pair.

As for the MC goal. Ridiculous to blame Ramsey. If giving the ball away on the edge of the opponents box leads to a goal for them, it's not the fault of the person that lost the ball. All teams will lose possession in these situations.

How we left SA closer to our goal than any defender is beyond me...... and how they got a 3v2 towards the end of extra time...... we have a lot of work still to do but early signs are promising

Ash
04-24-2017, 12:44 PM

I think the manner of the disposession was disappointing. Giroud in some space, loads in front of the ball and looks like he decided to dribble through two or three players. Who does he think he is? Alexis Sanchez?

Billy Goat Sverige
04-24-2017, 12:56 PM
I think the manner of the disposession was disappointing. Giroud in some space, loads in front of the ball and looks like he decided to dribble through two or three players. Who does he think he is? Alexis Sanchez?

Yes, and then he's the first to complain when someone doesn't give him the ball despite being the most LOOK AT ME ball hogging **** in the team.

SWv2
04-24-2017, 01:01 PM

LOL. Good man A.

AFC East
04-24-2017, 01:20 PM

Yeah, it was disappointing. It should have ended our attack, not led to a goal in four kicks.

AFC East
04-24-2017, 01:21 PM
How we left SA closer to our goal than any defender is beyond me...... and how they got a 3v2 towards the end of extra time...... we have a lot of work still to do but early signs are promising

Yes, the 3v2 was a complete and utter brain fail. Agree with you, early signs are promising, but still a lot of work to do.

redgunamo
04-24-2017, 05:26 PM
I rather liked the look of Chambers in there last season - that could be an option or he can slot into the back three as well. Lots of talk about Arda Turan - in this system he could be the perfect Santi replacement imo

On FIFA, PSG want 95 million euros for Chambers :-|

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2017, 05:35 PM
On FIFA, PSG want 95 million euros for Chambers :-|

Worth every penny, red. Knows where the goal is too