PDA

View Full Version : Not a great Easter weekend. Spurs now in with a real shout of winning the title.

Burney
04-18-2017, 08:59 AM
If that happens, I for one will welcome thermonuclear war.

Pat Vegas
04-18-2017, 09:01 AM

it will be entertaining.

On a side note why did Alexis look so happy last night. :sherlock:

Billy Goat Sverige
04-18-2017, 09:04 AM
it will be entertaining.

On a side note why did Alexis look so happy last night. :sherlock:

£300k a week? :sherlock:

Pat Vegas
04-18-2017, 09:05 AM
£300k a week? :sherlock:

:sherlock: :sherlock:

he just seemed overly happy and went out of his way to congratulate everyone.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
04-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Spurs now in with a real shout of winning the double.

Fixed that for you. 1961 all over again.

Monty92
04-18-2017, 09:06 AM

On the plus side, we could f*ck up their chances by avoiding defeat at the Lane.

Also, they have a few other nasty fixtures left. I'm not panicking yet.

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Yes, but my leg of lamb Sunday fell into the 'historic' category. Well done me.

Also, while we aren't really allowed to say it, I wouldn't be unhappy if Chelsea collapsed and Spurs won the league. There, I said it. It's how I feel. :shrug:

I find it really hard to hate this Spurs side and while I can't think of a single obnoxious, irritating, vile Spurs supporter in the office, Chelsea has them in droves.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Fixed that for you. 1961 all over again.

Yeah. Böllocks. And the following year there was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Do Spurs only win leagues at times of heightened nuclear tension?

Monty92
04-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Yes, but my leg of lamb Sunday fell into the 'historic' category. Well done me.

Also, while we aren't really allowed to say it, I wouldn't be unhappy if Chelsea collapsed and Spurs won the league. There, I said it. It's how I feel. :shrug:

I find it really hard to hate this Spurs side and while I can't think of a single obnoxious, irritating, vile Spurs supporter in the office, Chelsea has them in droves.

I tend to be quite open-minded about most things, but I think wanting Spurs to win the league less than any other club is kind of integral to being an Arsenal fan in any meaningful sense.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:14 AM
On the plus side, we could f*ck up their chances by avoiding defeat at the Lane.

Also, they have a few other nasty fixtures left. I'm not panicking yet.

Or we could be a stepping stone to their triumph - doubly so if we were to lose to them in the Cup Final.

This could literally be the worst year in human history :-(

SWv2
04-18-2017, 09:15 AM

They won't win it purely because there is not enough matches left for Chelsea to fúck it up, I even took the most deviant of steps and looked at their remaining fixtures such was my concern at how very ordinary they appeared on Sunday.

I do think Spurs are the best side in the league but then the football cliché about winning the league will over-rule that.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:15 AM
I tend to be quite open-minded about most things, but I think wanting Spurs to win the league less than any other club is kind of integral to being an Arsenal fan in any meaningful sense.

Yup. What WES has done there is effectively admit he doesn't really get the whole 'Arsenal' thing. :-(

Pat Vegas
04-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Yup. What WES has done there is effectively admit he doesn't really get the whole 'Arsenal' thing. :-(

Neither do Arsenal lately.

Monty92
04-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no front wheel mates and a bunch of Chelsea ones.

Yeah. Böllocks. And the following year there was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Do Spurs only win leagues at times of heightened nuclear tension?

:nod: I suppose 50/51 was when the Cold War really got going :-(

Sir C

Indeed not. Whilst sitting on the sofa on Sunday morning I was overwhelmed by an attack of severe vertigo and nausea and have been confined to a bed since. Standing or walking are entirely beyond me. I wonder if I might have suffered a mild stroke.

04-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Indeed not. Whilst sitting on the sofa on Sunday morning I was overwhelmed by an attack of severe vertigo and nausea and have been confined to a bed since. Standing or walking are entirely beyond me. I wonder if I might have suffered a mild stroke.

RIP Sir C. At least you won't see Tottnumb win the Double :thumbup:

Billy Goat Sverige
04-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no front wheel mates and a bunch of Chelsea ones.

Can't say i'd want them to win it but i'm indifferent to it. Since moving here and not really having any football banter my tribalism has been ****ed out the window.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Oh, my dear chap. :-( Sounds more like your inner ear, tbh. I had that a while ago. When I lay down at a certain angle, I'd feel like I was plunging into the depths of hell. Sorted itself out.

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 09:22 AM

It is an ever evolving thing though, Burney. While I used to hate Spurs more than any team in the world the whole Abramovich/Lampard/Terry/Mourinho era has raised Chelsea to the same level of hatred as Spurs for me. Literally Jamie, I don't know a single really offensive Spurs supporter.

I know bag loads of Chelsea ones.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:23 AM
:nod: I suppose 50/51 was when the Cold War really got going :-(

Korea, innit. :nod:

Sir C
04-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Oh, my dear chap. :-( Sounds more like your inner ear, tbh. I had that a while ago. When I lay down at a certain angle, I'd feel like I was plunging into the depths of hell. Sorted itself out.

I've certainly peered into the abyss a couple of times in the last 48 hours.

I've got to drive to Cumbria on Friday.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:30 AM
It is an ever evolving thing though, Burney. While I used to hate Spurs more than any team in the world the whole Abramovich/Lampard/Terry/Mourinho era has raised Chelsea to the same level of hatred as Spurs for me. Literally Jamie, I don't know a single really offensive Spurs supporter.

But that's the thing: ALL Tottenham supporters are offensive by dint of their allegiance - even the nice ones. Besides, if they seem acceptable now, it's only because we've had the whip hand over them for such a long time. With the boot on the other foot, you'll soon find out how offensive they are.

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Besides, if they seem acceptable now, it's only because we've had the whip hand over them for such a long time. With the boot on the other foot, you'll soon find out how offensive they are.

Yes, I expect that might very well be true. But for now, it is what it is.

COYS!

Ooh, that might have been too much. I feel rather unwell now. :-(

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:34 AM
I've certainly peered into the abyss a couple of times in the last 48 hours.

I've got to drive to Cumbria on Friday.

I assume you've summoned a doctor? And there can be no question of you driving anywhere while suffering from vertiginal nausea. Your glw will have to step in.

Sir C
04-18-2017, 09:38 AM
I assume you've summoned a doctor? And there can be no question of you driving anywhere while suffering from vertiginal nausea. Your glw will have to step in.

Ironically, the appointment I made with my doctor ages ago is tomorrow, and even more ironically, I think I'm too ill to attend.

I'll be fine by Friday. Ish.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Ironically, the appointment I made with my doctor ages ago is tomorrow, and even more ironically, I think I'm too ill to attend.

I'll be fine by Friday. Ish.

Are you noticing any improvement thus far? Must have been a nasty moment on Sunday. Did you think it was the big one? :-(

Sir C
04-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Are you noticing any improvement thus far? Must have been a nasty moment on Sunday. Did you think it was the big one? :-(

A definite improvement over the initial nightmare first hour, yes, since when progress has slowed.

I was lying on the floor unable to move my limbs, retching hard, when I remembered finding my mother exactly like that after the haemorrhage that killed her, so it was a bit troubling. I didn't want to scare v by asking for an ambulance, which was a good job really, I'd have looked a proper ****.

Burney
04-18-2017, 09:51 AM
A definite improvement over the initial nightmare first hour, yes, since when progress has slowed.

I was lying on the floor unable to move my limbs, retching hard, when I remembered finding my mother exactly like that after the haemorrhage that killed her, so it was a bit troubling. I didn't want to scare v by asking for an ambulance, which was a good job really, I'd have looked a proper ****.

That was sort of what I was obliquely referring to, yes. :-\ Must have been properly shīt.

Sir C
04-18-2017, 09:57 AM
That was sort of what I was obliquely referring to, yes. :-\ Must have been properly shīt.

Ah, younremembered the story. ty.

SWv2
04-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Ah, younremembered the story. ty.

May I ask why you have not attended a local physician or emergency department?

Sir C
04-18-2017, 10:18 AM
May I ask why you have not attended a local physician or emergency department?

I'm not a queer, sw, but thanks for asking.

SWv2
04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm not a queer, sw, but thanks for asking.

I don’t think one should not take any chances with health as one ages, and let’s be honest you are on the home straight in that respect.. Doctors and health professionals exist for this very reason.

I know of people, family members, who have gone to see their doctor on the basis of something not feeling right and ended up being told they had had a minor heart attack or in another case stroke.

Unless of course you are exaggerating your illness and in fact what you had was akin to a bad hangover.

In which case, despite your recent denial, you would be veering into the queer district.

Sir C
04-18-2017, 10:52 AM
I don’t think one should not take any chances with health as one ages, and let’s be honest you are on the home straight in that respect.. Doctors and health professionals exist for this very reason.

I know of people, family members, who have gone to see their doctor on the basis of something not feeling right and ended up being told they had had a minor heart attack or in another case stroke.

Unless of course you are exaggerating your illness and in fact what you had was akin to a bad hangover.

In which case, despite your recent denial, you would be veering into the queer district.

I laugh in the face of minor heart attackss and strokes.

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Possibly why you are banned from most hospitals

SWv2
04-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Possibly why you are banned from most hospitals

I expect his gravestone will reflect his nonchalant attitude to medical issues.

Sir C

Pretend Pilot, endorsed the wear of cowboys boots, big shot in the motor trade in Kent, second generation immigrant.

Laughed at heart attacks and minor strokes.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Are you still with us ?
Hello ?

Ash
04-18-2017, 12:49 PM

It is about more than the people we know, and I agree that many Chelsea fans are worse than Spurs fans (and there are reasons for that) it is about a kind of geo-political control of the hinterlands.

I walked past The Lane yesterday, with their grand construction site now resembling a new stadium, at a moment when their club could be riding the crest of a wave to some geniune success, possibly even standing on the edge of a seriously glorious era, while our club spirals downwards into goodness-knows what, and it was a sobering moment.

On the boards around the site were photos and momentoes of Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur. "Harry Kane scores a goal in Europe!" "Spurs win a football match!", "Harry Kane top scorer in the League!" "Here is us winning the league in black and white!". Proper DVD-release of a league cup tie win stuff.

For all the 'mind the gaps' and 'power-shift in North London' that we've come to laugh at over recent years they are finally actually going to finish ahead of us, and could even actually win the fùcking double, and possibly by beating us twice in the process. If the dominance that we take for granted, which makes Arsenal the default team in large parts of North London, is over, then we might start seeing kids in Tottenham shirts deep in Arsenal country, which is almost unheard of now for many-a-year.

And for those that live more in Spurs territory, like poor old Berni there, I shudder to think what the implications could be.

Ivan will notice a dip in one of his revenue-streams too when the tills in the Spurs club shops start to ring more regularly than in his own.

Burney
04-18-2017, 12:56 PM
It is about more than the people we know, and I agree that many Chelsea fans are worse than Spurs fans (and there are reasons for that) it is about a kind of geo-political control of the hinterlands.

I walked past The Lane yesterday, with their grand construction site now resembling a new stadium, at a moment when their club could be riding the crest of a wave to some geniune success, possibly even standing on the edge of a seriously glorious era, while our club spirals downwards into goodness-knows what, and it was a sobering moment.

On the boards around the site were photos and momentoes of Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur. "Harry Kane scores a goal in Europe!" "Spurs win a football match!", "Harry Kane top scorer in the League!" "Here is us winning the league in black and white!". Proper DVD-release of a league cup tie win stuff.

For all the 'mind the gaps' and 'power-shift in North London' that we've come to laugh at over recent years they are finally actually going to finish ahead of us, and could even actually win the fùcking double, and possibly by beating us twice in the process. If the dominance that we take for granted, which makes Arsenal the default team in large parts of North London, is over, then we might start seeing kids in Tottenham shirts deep in Arsenal country, which is almost unheard of now for many-a-year.

And for those that live more in Spurs territory, like poor old Berni there, I shudder to think what the implications could be.

Ivan will notice a dip in one of his revenue-streams too when the tills in the Spurs club shops start to ring more regularly than in his own.

I survived the early to mid-80s, a. I can survive this. Probably. :-(

Ash
04-18-2017, 01:02 PM
They won't win it purely because there is not enough matches left for Chelsea to fúck it up, I even took the most deviant of steps and looked at their remaining fixtures such was my concern at how very ordinary they appeared on Sunday.

I do think Spurs are the best side in the league but then the football cliché about winning the league will over-rule that.

Spurs are the best side right now. Probably not while Chelsea went on what looked like their long, title-winning run.

There were plenty of existential moments when Arsenal were the best side in seasons that they did not win the title.

SWv2
04-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Spurs are the best side right now. Probably not while Chelsea went on what looked like their long, title-winning run.

There were plenty of existential moments when Arsenal were the best side in seasons that they did not win the title.

This is very true but there was a large portion of last season, up until they imploded with 3-4 to go, that I also then believed they were the best side in the league.

A keeper the equal of any other, the best defence in the league, a very effective and functional midfield and a forward line with a striker as good as any in the league. Then they went and improved on this in the summer with the excellent signing of Wanyama.

While Kante has been getting rave reviews from every angle this season I have not seen a better midfield footballer in the PL than Dembele.

Even when they lose a player like Kane and most predict imminent doom they just carry on.

While the points difference in only 10 or whatever we appear on a whole different level (at this moment).

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 01:20 PM

While the next few weeks could be painfully (though they won't win the league), I don't think there future is as rosy as you are making out. By all accounts the cost of their stadium has doubled and it took some serious wheeler-dealing (sorry Twitchy) to raise the funds. TV money makes a huge difference but Lewis has never been one to dip his hands in his own pocket to help them out hugely. Dele Alli signed two new contracts last year and is still "only" on 50 grand a year. Jesse Lingard has just signed one at United for 100,000. No way are they keeping Kane, Alli etc on the wages they pay at the moment - or possibly Pochettino, which would be the biggest blow, as he appears to know what he is doing when signing players unlike most of the other clowns who have had the job (and while Levi has done well here his record for hiring decent managers is hardly inspiring for them)

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 01:22 PM

'existential moments'? In football?

You gave me a red for 'leverage' so I'm afraid this one is as nailed on as they get.

'Ave it :redcard:

Ash
04-18-2017, 01:33 PM
'existential moments'? In football?

You gave me a red for 'leverage' so I'm afraid this one is as nailed on as they get.

'Ave it :redcard:

**** off, ref. You can't send me off for a mere tautology. I was using the word in its meaning of 'in the moment' to distinguish a team in good nick from one which performs well enough in 38 games to win the league.

And it's a proper word. You used leverage as a verb, which a Yanqui, corporate buzzword-bingo crime.

Ash
04-18-2017, 01:42 PM
While the next few weeks could be painfully (though they won't win the league), I don't think there future is as rosy as you are making out. By all accounts the cost of their stadium has doubled and it took some serious wheeler-dealing (sorry Twitchy) to raise the funds. TV money makes a huge difference but Lewis has never been one to dip his hands in his own pocket to help them out hugely. Dele Alli signed two new contracts last year and is still "only" on 50 grand a year. Jesse Lingard has just signed one at United for 100,000. No way are they keeping Kane, Alli etc on the wages they pay at the moment - or possibly Pochettino, which would be the biggest blow, as he appears to know what he is doing when signing players unlike most of the other clowns who have had the job (and while Levi has done well here his record for hiring decent managers is hardly inspiring for them)

Doesn't Joe have to act as guarantor for the loan though? And you have to hand it to Daniel, he drives a good deal for them when buying or selling. There's a pub on the High Road with his picture and a caption: "More ales than he's had managers".

Saw Donald Sumpter shuffling around by South End Green on sunday. Poor old fella didn't look in the greatest condition. Looked just like his Maester Luwin.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/game-of-thrones/thumb/3/33/MaesterLuwin.jpg/468px-MaesterLuwin.jpg

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Doesn't Joe have to act as guarantor for the loan though? And you have to hand it to Daniel, he drives a good deal for them when buying or selling. There's a pub on the High Road with his picture and a caption: "More ales than he's had managers".

Saw Donald Sumpter shuffling around by South End Green on sunday. Poor old fella didn't look in the greatest condition. Looked just like his Maester Luwin.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/game-of-thrones/thumb/3/33/MaesterLuwin.jpg/468px-MaesterLuwin.jpg

Must be knocking on a bit. Not as if he has to worry about Winter coming anyway

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 02:11 PM

The stadium shouldn't have any impact on their ability to pay wages as I would expect that the increased TV revenue would allow them to easily cover the additional wages required to keep Ali, Kane et al. It will impact their ability to compete in the transfer market until the stadium is built as any cash reserves will probably be used to fund the stadium to keep the loan to a minimum. However they seem to have a very good group of very young players there so their need to go into the transfer market may be small. Once the stadium is built, they should have additional money provided the increased revenues associated with the stadium exceed the annual interest payments on the loan (as they did at Arsenal to the tune of £30mil per year) which they are likely to in this time of low rates.

All of which sounds great, until as you point out, Pochettino leaves. It is that which they will fear, I think. Not the impact of the stadium.

SWv2
04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
The stadium shouldn't have any impact on their ability to pay wages as I would expect that the increased TV revenue would allow them to easily cover the additional wages required to keep Ali, Kane et al. It will impact their ability to compete in the transfer market until the stadium is built as any cash reserves will probably be used to fund the stadium to keep the loan to a minimum. However they seem to have a very good group of very young players there so their need to go into the transfer market may be small. Once the stadium is built, they should have additional money provided the increased revenues associated with the stadium exceed the annual interest payments on the loan (as they did at Arsenal to the tune of £30mil per year) which they are likely to in this time of low rates.

All of which sounds great, until as you point out, Pochettino leaves. It is that which they will fear, I think. Not the impact of the stadium.

They only have next season after this one I think.

Not sure where Pochetinno goes in the near future, PSG maybe.

Rich
04-18-2017, 02:39 PM
They only have next season after this one I think.

Not sure where Pochetinno goes in the near future, PSG maybe.

The Arsenal :cloud9:

Burney
04-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Must be knocking on a bit. Not as if he has to worry about Winter coming anyway

Henry Winter?

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Henry Winter?
Nothing that irredeemably evil, b

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 02:48 PM

To compete with the wages on offer at the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, never mind Barca, Real and Bayern who would be sniffing around the likes of Alli, Dembele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, would require not only a massive investment (again I shall use the example of Alli currently being on 50 grand and Lindgard on 100,000 - do you not find that staggering) but a considerable change in their policy. Not too much of a stretch to suggest to do this at a time when they are financing a stadium and have actually said there would be some constraints on their spending

Burney
04-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Nothing that irredeemably evil, b

A White Wànker if ever there was one.

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 03:14 PM
To compete with the wages on offer at the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, never mind Barca, Real and Bayern who would be sniffing around the likes of Alli, Dembele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, would require not only a massive investment (again I shall use the example of Alli currently being on 50 grand and Lindgard on 100,000 - do you not find that staggering) but a considerable change in their policy. Not too much of a stretch to suggest to do this at a time when they are financing a stadium and have actually said there would be some constraints on their spending

They will be getting 80mil+ from Sky going forward annually, no idea how much they were getting with the old deal but it sounds like they will be able to increase wages significantly just because of the television money. You think the big clubs in Europe will be sniffing around many of their players? I would guess Ali and Kane only.

But my main point was that the impact of the stadium will have less impact on them and their ability to compete than losing the manager will. As Wenger was to Arsenal in 97, so Pochettino is to Spurs now.

SWv2
04-18-2017, 03:25 PM
They will be getting 80mil+ from Sky going forward annually, no idea how much they were getting with the old deal but it sounds like they will be able to increase wages significantly just because of the television money. You think the big clubs in Europe will be sniffing around many of their players? I would guess Ali and Kane only.

But my main point was that the impact of the stadium will have less impact on them and their ability to compete than losing the manager will. As Wenger was to Arsenal in 97, so Pochettino is to Spurs now.

I would say Alderweireld and Dembele are as good as any in the league.

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Yes - the latter is a fair point. As for clubs sniffing around their players I would be hugely surprised if there wasn't considerable interesting in the Alderweireld, given the paucity of centre halfs around (40 million and upwards suggested for Van Dijk!). Real could certainly do with a centre back. Similarly, Eriksen would attract much attention

Peter
04-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Yes - the latter is a fair point. As for clubs sniffing around their players I would be hugely surprised if there wasn't considerable interesting in the Alderweireld, given the paucity of centre halfs around (40 million and upwards suggested for Van Dijk!). Real could certainly do with a centre back. Similarly, Eriksen would attract much attention

You are cheering me up slightly with all of this. The key is getting the manager out. That should be enough to stop all this nonsense and he must be in the queue for some top jobs now.

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 04:04 PM
You are cheering me up slightly with all of this. The key is getting the manager out. That should be enough to stop all this nonsense and he must be in the queue for some top jobs now.

PSG is a big possibility

World's End Stella
04-18-2017, 04:08 PM
PSG is a big possibility

Barcelona?

Luis Anaconda
04-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Barcelona?

Said he wouldn't go there as he is ex-Espanyol - wouldn't believe a word he says though